Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Yvonmukluk posted:

They did a repeat of the Super, so I listened to it to see what the deal was. Holy drat :stare:.
The Super was one of the first episodes I ever listened to. Weightlifting snowman was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What a good, Patriotic episode about a Somalian trying to join America.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yes, indeed. It even had a happy ending. :parrot:

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

This is probably a dumb question, but in the last four months or so, one episode of TAL ended with a guy telling a story and getting to pimp out his own podcast/website. It was pretty short, and the name of the website was a little depressing, but I remember liking in. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, or what happened in the rest of the episode because I tuned in right at the end. Does anyone who listens every week know what I'm talking about?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sounds like Alex Blumberg, he was a producer for TAL, then worked on Planet Money and left to start his own podcast business.

He made the podcast StartUp about , well starting up a new business. Planet Money ran the first episode.

http://gimletmedia.com/show/startup/

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I bet it was The Memory Palace, if you're remembering a sad or nostalgic story. It used to be produced in the TAL offices, the creator recently relocated.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There are a lot of pretty good or just good/effortful imitations of TAL out there. When the Car Talk guys retired, Glass came on NPR and mentioned how they were doing reruns anyway and how he disagreed with that, that they should use the air for new voices instead. Now TAL is half reruns, a quarter showcase for other podcast material, and a quarter new stuff that is still pretty good usually, but still a bit hounded by recent scandals. It wouldn't surprise me if Glass was looking for a way to retire the show and open the pasture a bit. But if he's also afraid that they'll just rerun old shows, maybe it's turning into the patchwork of nostalgia/bought/original content it's become lately.

If so, good enough. Is there a "stories podcasts" thread in here, or is the TAL thread it?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If Ira Glass truly doesn't want to overstay his welcome, that may explain why he bought out everyone else's (WBEZ and Chicago Public Radio's) share of the show. He's paying them out of future profits, though, so the show will definitely be around for a few more years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, that's the news that triggered my speculation. Could be a good sign overall, even if he did poach Stephanie Foo from Snap Judgment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did anyone else listen to the latest ep about amusement parks? Am I the only one who thought the manager in the first story was completely mental? I mean, good on you for finding a job you love, but THAT'S your calling? And you dropped out of college and alienated everyone around you to work an amusement park? Admittedly some of the best "work" experiences I've had were the two summers I was a camp counselor, but I knew it was a temporary thing and I moved on.

E: Oh thank gently caress, it turns out he quit that and finished college.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 29, 2015

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Eh, if a job makes you happy and doesn't underpay you, it's not mental to stick with it. Happiness isn't based on what other people think should fulfill you. Honestly, the U.S. would be in a better state if different career paths (trade education, apprenticeships, just working your way up) were more accepted instead of making a college degree the new high school diploma. There are plenty of people with degrees and worse job prospects than this guy had.

That said, it didn't sound like a lifetime job, and some googling seems to show that the guy's current gig involves a lot of the skills he cultivated at the amusement park. That's a pretty good outcome.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Anyone else a fan of the BBC World Service Documentaries series? A recent program, "The Search for Tiny Libraries in New Zealand" reminded me of a classic This American Life segment but set in New Zealand. Worth a listen while we're waiting for new TAL episodes, anyway.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

effervescible posted:

Eh, if a job makes you happy and doesn't underpay you, it's not mental to stick with it. Happiness isn't based on what other people think should fulfill you. Honestly, the U.S. would be in a better state if different career paths (trade education, apprenticeships, just working your way up) were more accepted instead of making a college degree the new high school diploma. There are plenty of people with degrees and worse job prospects than this guy had.

That said, it didn't sound like a lifetime job, and some googling seems to show that the guy's current gig involves a lot of the skills he cultivated at the amusement park. That's a pretty good outcome.

Here is the training video he made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkmR_-_tv7c

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Watermelon City posted:

Anyone else a fan of the BBC World Service Documentaries series? A recent program, "The Search for Tiny Libraries in New Zealand" reminded me of a classic This American Life segment but set in New Zealand. Worth a listen while we're waiting for new TAL episodes, anyway.

RTE (Ireland) World on One documentaries are quite good too, including some that they're dug out of the vaults and rebroadcast which are like a window on a different world. ("Now tell me Mrs O'Flaherty, how did you feel when you heard the priest had been shot? You poor 'ting, it must have been terrible. Another cup of tea? Don't mind if I do.")

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

outlier posted:

RTE (Ireland) World on One documentaries are quite good too, including some that they're dug out of the vaults and rebroadcast which are like a window on a different world. ("Now tell me Mrs O'Flaherty, how did you feel when you heard the priest had been shot? You poor 'ting, it must have been terrible. Another cup of tea? Don't mind if I do.")

Is the different world the past or just Ireland? Is Ireland actually the past??

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Drunkboxer posted:

Is the different world the past or just Ireland? Is Ireland actually the past??

Both, although I was mainly talking about "Ireland of the past", a world in which the priests rant from the pulpit, many Irish don't stray from their village and tales of woe and famine abound.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
E: wrong thread

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
I'm Ira Glass. This week on the show: gently caress white people forever.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Well that episode was utterly blood boiling. I don't think I've ever been quite so angry at an episode of the show as I was listening to the cheers at that public meeting for the school integration.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yeah it was a good one.

About TAL veterans, Starlee Kine solves a mystery about a lunchbox for Jonathan Goldstein in the tweest yet episode of Mystery Show.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The TAL entry on my podcast app is busted, is anyone else experiencing this? I unsubscribed and re-subscribed but it just has a dummy entry and won't actually refresh.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Worked for me on Stichr. And I'm only halfway through but jesus christ that town meeting, gently caress everyone there

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah it was a good one.

About TAL veterans, Starlee Kine solves a mystery about a lunchbox for Jonathan Goldstein in the tweest yet episode of Mystery Show.

I tried to like Mystery Show but, wow, such useless and uninteresting "mysteries".

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I've been really enjoying the mysteries (despite how meaningless they are) and the episodes overall, but this last episode didn't really do it for me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The lunchbox story wasn't very interesting, but the story about the composer who was held at gunpoint by Phil Spector for an entire night was great.

Wonder why it took so long for Spector to actually murder someone, he's been waving guns around at his house and studio for decades.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah it was a good story, but they way it came up was so weird.

She walked in and had barely said anything (I don't think she'd even gotten to "so, about this lunchbox") and he basically says "oh you said the word 'we', that reminds me of this story about being held at gunpoint by Phil Spector". It really seemed like his thought process was "I have a journalist here but I have nothing to tell her about this lunchbox. I need to break out my best story immediately even if it has nothing to do with why she's here".

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Jesus loving Christ that town hall scene was so infuriating.

Also, the only people who say "This is not a race issue!" are racist assholes who are trying to pretend otherwise. Extra points for claiming that people who call out racism are the real racists.

God, loving white people and loving white flight.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 5, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bad day posted:

I tried to like Mystery Show but, wow, such useless and uninteresting "mysteries".

Starlee Kine does a podcast for and starring her very local friends.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

bad day posted:

I was the same after the first episode (was literally rolling my eyes at how loving NPR it was) but it clicked for me after that. I'm sure you've already figured out that it's about the journey not the actual mystery, but once they started getting a bit more "fun" it clicked with me much better. The one about Jake Gyllenhaal's height has been the best one so far.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The TAL entry on my podcast app is busted, is anyone else experiencing this? I unsubscribed and re-subscribed but it just has a dummy entry and won't actually refresh.

Same for me, using podkicker on Android. I subscribed again using the RSS feed from the TAL site and now it's working fine.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mars4523 posted:

Jesus loving Christ that town hall scene was so infuriating.

Also, the only people who say "This is not a race issue!" are racist assholes who are trying to pretend otherwise. Extra points for claiming that people who call out racism are the real racists.

God, loving white people and loving white flight.
The best part about the white flight issue is that it didn't actually happen. The Normandy kids that were integrated into the white school didn't result in any families moving away or any grades or scoring to change by the smallest amount.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

The best part about the white flight issue is that it didn't actually happen. The Normandy kids that were integrated into the white school didn't result in any families moving away or any grades or scoring to change by the smallest amount.
Yeah, I just really hated how drat smug that one guy was when he brought it up. Yeah, I get it fucker, you have enough money to drop everything and find a new house. These people you're making GBS threads on aren't that lucky.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really mad at that segment. I'll have to remember this episode if I ever get into a discussion with someone who claims racism doesn't exist in America any more.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 5, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Which episode number is this? The latest one showing up for me in Overcast is #443 from July 27.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's #562 [The Problem We All Live With], but a lot of people have had the feed screw up on them, myself included, so you may need to mess around with it to get it working. [I look forward to the ATP episode in which Marco discusses what to do when the world's most popular podcast messes up its feed.]

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Lady Gaza posted:

Which episode number is this? The latest one showing up for me in Overcast is #443 from July 27.

Are you in Canada? For whatever reason, that episode didn't come out here. It's showing up as coming out next week, though...?

Canada:

US:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Weird, I'm Canadian and I listened to, and was upset by, it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Team_q posted:

Weird, I'm Canadian and I listened to, and was upset by, it.

I wonder if it depends on what feed you subscribed to. I just grabbed whatever was in Overcast when I searched it. Ah well.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm in the UK. I did get it in the end, I had to search again for TAL and it appeared in the list. Once I added it though I had two separate subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm in the Australia and The Problem We All Live With is available now and holy god it is so infuriating.

• Locked thread