Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
This show is indeed awesome.

My favorite episode is the one about the Nummi factory operated by Toyota and General Motors. Equal parts hysterical and :psyduck: makes for great radio.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Good, that piece of poo poo deserves worse.

On the other hand, I couldn't stand the 2nd? story of episode 449: Middle School. The way he described the "Two Mimis" infuriated me for some reason. Maybe because the mother took the clothing money from the other kids and gave it to them. "I know mimi!" Uuuugh :rolleyes:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
The best comedy bit from This American Life, I think it was on the power-mad janitor episode, I could be wrong.
Kumail Nanjiani
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keypPSIu7o0

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ilysespieces posted:

I remember that one, it was from the episode Million Dollar Idea. I have no idea why it was in there, it came out of nowhere right after the segment on elevator speeches and the competition for them. Apparently it was it's own act, which I obviously forgot/didn't realize at the time.

That episode was one of my favorites, the final act was the one about the guy who beat Press Your Luck and it was fascinating.

Yeah that was a really interesting story. The cigarette companies hiring marketers to market the killing ability in cigs was weird though. Did the results get leaked or was their final pitch put out with full faith by the companies? I forget.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Brekelefuw posted:

Listen to the beginning of a show and notice how he says "This Amerikung Life" It drives me crazy.

Here's Colbert interviewing him, this comes up actually. It's good stuff.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/225499/april-22-2009/ira-glass

Ira rules, he's got this quality about him where you see him interact with someone and think, "He's good people, I'm glad he's doing well".

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Chas McGill posted:

If this brand of feigned incredulity bothers you, never ever listen to Radiolab.

However, if you enjoy cool stereo effect intros then Radiolab is the show for you!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah that whole story just rubbed me the wrong way. What a crock of poo poo from local PD, going under cover to catch pot dealers in high school? And again, just so we're clear, THEY HAD TO GO UNDERCOVER FOR 3 MONTHS TO FIND 31 POT DEALERS IN A HIGH SCHOOL!

If the kids grades were what the show said they were, and I assume they were because that's easy to verify, then the arrest did more harm to the kid than pot ever could. What a bunch of dicks cops can be.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Blackula69 posted:

Also, I haven't listened to the episode yet - where in the hell is a gram of weed a felony? That's ridiculous

When you do something in America near a school, the penalty goes up 500 percent. It wasn't a possession charge it, was dealing, which is a stiff penalty within 1000 feet of a school.

It's still bullshit

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So the second part of the Play Your Part show this Sunday played like a comedy act that should have been called, "So You've Married a Sociopath". The couple sounds like the oddball neighbors but if you think about their situation it's kind of hosed up. The guy flat out said he feels no emotions of his own, his just studies, learns and mimics the behavior of other people.

And how obtuse would a person have to be to work for a school tailored for asperger kids and 6 years pass before you becomes familiar with traits associated with this disorder?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Well when the entire backbone of your political party has been nothing but, "Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad Taxes Bad"

this is the kind of poo poo you get.

Next time you have a chance watch Karl Rove of Fox News talking about the current republican party, he's terrified of what the seeds he helped sow grew into. Grover Norquist is so mentally deluded he has no place in the uppers levels of American politics, yet, here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah they do interesting stuff, I save up for a few weeks then listen to 3 or 4 at a time. There should just be a general NPR thread. minus Car Talk because I think they already have one, Fresh Air should be separate too because I think a truckload of people listen to that one. But Wait Wait, On Point, Planet Money and TAL are all great shows and if people like one they'll probably like the others. On Point with Tom Ashbrook's topics vary so wildly that I'll skip a few but the topics that look interesting usually end up being, even though Tom is a little obtuse sometimes for the sake of conversation and avoiding confrontation.

/edit hey there already is one and I'm a giant dumbass! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438712

• Locked thread