Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I liked how the party scene was portrayed as a hallucination.

Isn't that assistant DA lawyer dating Foggy? I know Matt Murdock is a womanizer, but I don't think he's ever tried to make a move on any of Foggy's girlfriends.

Foggy made a move on Matt's girlfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waterhaul posted:

Monthly reminder that you should be reading this book if you aren't. Also Rivera should stay on the book for as long as physically possible.

It'll be interesting to see if the book can keep up the quality and tone now that it's leading in to crossover territory. Not to mention the final page of this issue.

I believe both parts of the crossover are going to be done by Waid and Rivera, but I could be wrong.

Nice little done-in-one this issue. I miss good Christmas issues like this.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Neither part is being done by Rivera, it is Ramos and then Rios on DD I believe.

edit: I'm wrong, Waid is writing both issues, Rios is on ASM and according to the advert, Kano is on DD.

^burtle fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 22, 2011

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Picked up the latest issues and have been completely re-won over with this latest run. Diggles' started out with such a great concept and so much promise and really hosed it up royally.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The panel with the blind kids dragging Daredevil actually made me tear up. Comics aren't supposed to do that!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The Assistant D.A is roommates with the girl that Foggy is dating. Kano on Daredevil is good news I like that guy a lot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

In case anyone wasn't aware that Daredevil is pretty much going be in crossover mode for the next while before reading this weeks issue it'd be a good idea to read last weeks (very good) Amazing Spider-Man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

In case anyone wasn't aware that Daredevil is pretty much going be in crossover mode for the next while before reading this weeks issue it'd be a good idea to read last weeks (very good) Amazing Spider-Man

Also it is written by Waid.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The next while? I thought it was only for 2 issues?

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Terror Sweat posted:

I could be wrong, but I think the next issue is a direct continuation of the story in Avenging Spider-Man, so a crossover of sorts.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Terror Sweat posted:

The whole Daredevil having Fantastic Four tech which HYDRA/AIM/Every evil organization want will lead into a crossover, starting at issue #11, with Avenging Spider-Man and The Punisher, all of which will be written by Waid and Rucka.

quote:

"Daredevil has basically conned five of the biggest crime communities in the Marvel Universe -- Hydra, AIM, Black Spectre, Secret Empire and Hidden Team -- out of a unique hard drive that contains key information on all five organizations," said Waid. "It's the hot potato that Daredevil has and it makes him the most dangerous man on Earth." While Daredevil has the drive trying to beat the clock to find the best application for it, Frank Castle comes knocking on the door.

"The problem with Daredevil holding the device is that these organizations don't want anyone else to have it," said Rucka. "Once Frank finds out about the drive and finds out what's on it, he says, 'You know what? Give that to me.' ... Frank's feeling is 'I can keep it safe and I can use it properly,' so one sees the conflict immediately between these two gentlemen."

Spider-Man comes in at the behest of Reed Richards, who invented the Omega Drive, to recover it from Daredevil. "The downside is that if you bring the Punisher in, it's like handing an atomic grenade to… well, to Frank Castle," said Waid. "It could be a very, very dangerous thing. What we've likened the story to is 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.' The basic idea is that it's different people from different walk on life that have similar goals all focused on a unique artifact and they start to work together to find out the best way to work with this. As the story progresses, different allegiances arise, different backstabbing things happen and it gets very tense."

"Nobody's going to be surprised that they team up," said Rucka, "but how long is that going to last? The clock is immediately ticking."

As for Spider-Man, Waid mentioned there was an entertainment factor. "Part of what puts Spider-Man in the story is half a need to babysit these two guys and half a need to eat popcorn and watch what happens when they eventually collide," said Waid.

source

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a jumping on point for the new stuff? I've read all of the Bendis/Brubaker run and it was one of my favourite comics ever. Any trades out?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there a jumping on point for the new stuff? I've read all of the Bendis/Brubaker run and it was one of my favourite comics ever. Any trades out?
The first volume of Waid's run comes out next week--best place to start, since we're only on #8 (they're also some of the best comics of last year).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Excellent, thanks. Looking forward to getting back into DD again.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Waid why you gotta dog Spidey so hard?

^burtle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 19, 2012

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Waids really been knocking it out of the park with every single issue of daredevil so far. I stopped reading after Alex Maleev and Bendis stopped writing it. I didn't really like the whole lets make this guy dark and depressing. It's nice to see Daredevil return to kind of sort of a happier outlook. The art has been fantastic. I love the new look of the radar vision. Such a great way to do it. I'd say its the best way its ever been done period.

I don't actually like Rucka that much, so I guess the crossover will be interesting but he's just not a terribly great writer or at least I writer I don't particularly care for. Pretty epic story line though and having Spider Man in the mix is great.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So is the Spidey/DD crossover continuing only in Daredevil now? Because the first part was in Amazing Spider-Man, part two was in Daredevil, and then the recent ASM was a completely different story.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

notthegoatseguy posted:

So is the Spidey/DD crossover continuing only in Daredevil now? Because the first part was in Amazing Spider-Man, part two was in Daredevil, and then the recent ASM was a completely different story.

It was two parts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not really seeing what you guys are loving about the art in the new issues. I don't think it fits Daredevil at all.

I agree that towards the end of the Brubaker run, poo poo got a bit ridiculous with the "let's really gently caress up Matt's life" themes. It not only got depressing, but downright redundant and monotonous. I stopped reading right after Matt took over leadership of The Hand because come the gently caress on

Wasn't that well after Brubaker left? Diggle's era is a mess in my mind because it seemed like trying really hard to do what Brubaker had done and failing completely, and the art looked pretty similar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't that well after Brubaker left? Diggle's era is a mess in my mind because it seemed like trying really hard to do what Brubaker had done and failing completely, and the art looked pretty similar.

He got control of the hand in Brubaker's last issue

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This comic just...completes me. It's the best thing I've been reading since I started getting back into comics 7 months ago. Somehow every issue has managed to be better than the last one. It might not be as dark as it used to be but at the same time it doesn't ignore Matt Murdock's history of suffering. In today's issue, one full of a lot of great moments, my favorite was probably a single sentence in DD's internal monologue, a subtle revelation of the still-painful grief from the loss of his father.

And to top it all off he's about to have the entirety of megacrime coming at him all at once. Bring it the hell on. I hope this run never ends.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

For those that missed it, last week's Punisher had him busting up a gang that was talking about taking down Daredevil. poo poo is going to hit the fan in the "street crime" books and it is going to be glorious.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've been reading Daredevil from the very beginning (I'm not very far in) and it's hard sometimes to not skip ahead to the "great" stuff. There's some cool in the early issues but there's also a whole tonne of cheese and Stan Lee-ism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I hope this run never ends.

Every single time I feel that way about a Marvel comic they switch writers on me, don't you jinx this book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Every single time I feel that way about a Marvel comic they switch writers on me, don't you jinx this book.

Mark Waid will be on the book until he pisses someone off.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
So I'm a bit new to this whole .1 thing Marvel is doing. My understanding is that they're just meant to be jumping on points for new readers, so is it worth it to me as someone already following Daredevil to bother picking 10.1 up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Denim Avenger posted:

So I'm a bit new to this whole .1 thing Marvel is doing. My understanding is that they're just meant to be jumping on points for new readers, so is it worth it to me as someone already following Daredevil to bother picking 10.1 up?

Yes it is also usually the start of a new arc.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Denim Avenger posted:

You should just read the entire series starting with #1. It has pretty much been self-contained with a single issue of Amazing Spider-Man crossing over somewhat recently, and it looks like Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher will be crossing over in the near future.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Denim Avenger posted:

It can depend. Some .1's are pure filler and some actual have some content for regular readers. Only reason to not get the book though is the fact that Khoi Pham seems to be bringing the first ugly issue to the current run.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I've been reading Daredevil from the very beginning (I'm not very far in) and it's hard sometimes to not skip ahead to the "great" stuff. There's some cool in the early issues but there's also a whole tonne of cheese and Stan Lee-ism.

Cheese and Stan Lee-ism are the best. I love old comics. That being said, I just finished the most recent issue of DD and holy crap this book continues to blow me away. Everything just flows so well. I thought this arc was getting kind of silly but then his fight scene with the Mole Man just turned that right around. This is easily my favorite Marvel book right now and I can't wait for the crossover with Punisher.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Does anyone else think its a bit pointless to have a Point One issue for a book that's only 9 issues in? I know DD has a lot of history, but this run has really told you everything you need to know about the character gradually. The silly thing is that it's going to be kicking off a story that's been building for a few issues anyway, so anyone jumping on board now is still probably going to feel like they're missing something (unless 10.1 explains the whole Megacrime stuff too).

This book is still hot stuff though. I'd fallen behind but got caught up the past few evenings (haven't read 10.1 yet though). The Spidey crossover was really well done, I'm actually looking forward to the one with Avenging and Punisher. I guess the Spider-Man one worked well because Waid wrote both issues, but I'm not too worried about him teaming up with Rucka. The Moleman story was great too (particularly because Moleman in one panel looked like he was traced from a picture of the former Prime Minister of Ireland :laugh:). Rivera's art was brilliant on those issues, it's a pity we've lost Martin from the book though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah ok so 10.1 was actually really good. It got a little bit Claremontian ("I'm just gonna explain my powers here") but not annoyingly so, and there really was a lot of movement of the story. The whole climax to it was pretty great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just caught up to #10 this afternoon (had a fuckton of comics pile up and have been working through them while binging Game Of Thrones and Treme before work) and I want to point out how astute Waid's been at picking ideas or characters to bounce DD off that aren't usually done. Mole Man is such an obvious one, being that they're both blind, and sometimes use that to their advantage, and the Black Cat tryst in the Spidey crossover was genius. I'm shocked they've never hooked up before, it makes total sense. When he's not in super-angst mode, Matt's a much more flexible, and sexually open dude than Parker, plus he's got a certain lifestyle, all of which would appeal to Felicia. It didn't feel like the 'Spidey using her to hide from his real life' thing, it felt like two grown ups who think each other are interesting and hot and having fun with that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Felicia kind of has a history of going in for a guy to use him for selfish purposes and ends up falling for him. She only started dating Flash Thompson way back in the 1980s specifically to make Peter Parker jealous and to break up his new marriage. Then, she ended up falling for Thompson.

Ironically, when she revealed to him that she's the Black Cat, Thompson dumped her because he didn't like the whole superhero lifestyle in his women. So it seems like we're getting a similar storyline here. Felicia tries to use DD to carry out her criminal work, finds out he's not that bad, probably will come back later to pursue a relationship.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Will dump him when Bullseye is inevitably revived.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

notthegoatseguy posted:

Felicia kind of has a history of going in for a guy to use him for selfish purposes and ends up falling for him. She only started dating Flash Thompson way back in the 1980s specifically to make Peter Parker jealous and to break up his new marriage. Then, she ended up falling for Thompson.

I forgot she dated Flash. Be kinda awkward if she found out he is Venom.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

ShortStack posted:

Cheese and Stan Lee-ism are the best. I love old comics. That being said, I just finished the most recent issue of DD and holy crap this book continues to blow me away. Everything just flows so well. I thought this arc was getting kind of silly but then his fight scene with the Mole Man just turned that right around. This is easily my favorite Marvel book right now and I can't wait for the crossover with Punisher.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. The Mike Murdock stuff was ridiculous but also great. Stan had a real eye for melodrama.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I didn't think it were humanly possible to "own" Frank Castle, but holy poo poo, DD did it in spades!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He's actually owning Cole, but yeah, it was good, if a little bit Waid just didactically writing his opinions on the state of comics directly into his dialogue.

It was a solid issue, but I'm just a teensy bit disappointed that the plot device the event is named after is in no way resolved. Now it's going to have to get ridiculously contrived before DD can rustle up a way to destroy this thing definitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it was bound to happen sooner rather than later given the constant art changes.

Paolo Rivera posted:

I started working for Marvel when I was barely old enough to drink (legally). I’ve never written a résumé or curriculum vitae. I’ve never gone on a job interview. I’ve never been unemployed. In short, I’ve been very, very lucky. But I’m 31 now... and I’m calling it a decade.

I have decided to leave Daredevil and end my exclusive contract with Marvel after 10 years of work for a company that I can only describe as family. From the moment that Joe Quesada hired me via email, I have gotten nothing but the best treatment from the most dedicated editorial and creative talent in the business.

So why am I leaving? The short answer: ownership. With the exception of just a few published pieces of art (which belong to other companies), Marvel owns the copyrights to my entire professional portfolio. And why shouldn't they? I was, of course, compensated fairly for it, and for that I’m grateful — but the sum total of that work is not enough to support me in the distant future. My page rate is essentially the same as when I started at 21, so I've decided to invest in myself. What I create in the next decade needs to pay dividends when my vision gets blurry and my hands start to shake (and who knows what else). Now is the time to make that choice, while I’m still young, possess "great power," but have few responsibilities.

And yet, I’m not done with Marvel by any means. They've been nothing but supportive throughout my decision, as has been the case throughout my career. I will continue to do covers for them and occasional projects as I see fit, just not exclusively.

So what am I going to do with my time? In the short term, I plan on clearing out my commissions list, which dates back to 2008. That will keep me busy while I plan more daunting endeavors. I’m not accepting new names at the moment, but I will in due time.

In the long term, I may scour my old emails. I’ve had to turn down some amazing opportunities in the past decade, so I may finally accept some non-Marvel work — it all depends on the creative team and the property.

Regardless of what new opportunities come my way, my main focus will be an ambitious, creator-owned project: an original story, sci-fi in nature, with primal themes and a compact cast of characters. It’s far too early to give any details, but it's something that's been trickling into my mind (mostly in the shower) for the last 5 years.

I also have some smaller, tangentially comic-related projects that I hope will serve as experiments in both distribution and funding — think Kickstarter. The site is already proving its worth to the industry, and I think it’s the future for creators who have something novel to offer fans. I hope it can work for me.

Finally, I’d like to apologize to my readers and my collaborators. I made many promises that I haven’t kept and I feel pretty awful/stupid for leaving such an amazing book, just when we were hitting our stride. A special thanks/apology goes out to Mark Waid, Steve Wacker, and my Dad, all of whom went out of their way to support me on Daredevil. I promised them more than a measly 6 issues.

I apologize as well for the long-winded announcement. I have very mixed feelings about my decision and I wanted to explain, as best I could, the many factors that went into my leaving the single greatest job on the planet. Daredevil will continue to shine without me. Trust me, I've seen the issues.

Marvel will continue to shine as well, just as it's done for generations. They've given me much more than money can buy: a devoted fan base. As valuable as that is (roughly, 4 billion), it comes not from the company, but from my creative predecessors — it's what Disney really bought in 2009. The reason you’re reading this now — the reason I have a career — is that I have played a privileged part in stories and characters that predated my birth and will long outlast my life. As an artist, my reputation — my fame, in blunt terms — is what makes this a profession, and not a hobby. And while I take great pride in the originality and craft of my Marvel work, I never forget that the audience who funds my living was lured into those seats by creators who worked under far less cushy conditions. My only hope is that some of you will follow me to the next theater when I attempt to create something from scratch.

source

• Locked thread