Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I think this week managed to pass out issue 7 for straight up :unsmith:

So basically it was a great issue and had Mike Allred killing it drawing Stilt-Man and if you like good books you should read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I seriously have no idea what villain could be pulling this off. This is some absolutely hosed up poo poo.

I was thinking Chameleon, but the cover for next month's issue doesn't look like Chameleon.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's a new villain, one with a rather twisted modus operandi.

Milla. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What if Daredevil really is going nuts, and it's a double bluff, since any time something's set up to make it look like the hero's going nuts we're conditioned to expect that someone's messing with him?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's definitely Matt at least on some level. Milla coming back and pretending like nothing bad ever happened is a lot like Matt doing the same. Waid's whole run is like stealth Shadowland fallout.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
When I saw the thing with the elevator, I immediately said, out loud, one word to myself.

"Mysterio."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Revol posted:

When I saw the thing with the elevator, I immediately said, out loud, one word to myself.

"Mysterio."

Nah, Mysterio is gone now. So it's gotta be someone else messing with him.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, Mysterio is gone now. So it's gotta be someone else messing with him.

This story can happen before Spidermen.

The question is, why would he be involved? Someone would've hired him, I guess...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Revol posted:

This story can happen before Spidermen.

The question is, why would he be involved? Someone would've hired him, I guess...

Also, Mysterio already did the "loving with Daredevil's perception of reality" thing, during Kevin Smith's run. I don't think Waid would go down the same road.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Also, Mysterio already did the "loving with Daredevil's perception of reality" thing, during Kevin Smith's run. I don't think Waid would go down the same road.

Where is Mr. Fear and Purple man?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The guy who's messing around with Matt is a new villain unless an established one has decided to change their name and outfit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Where is Mr. Fear and Purple man?

Fear put Milla in the looney bin, and Purple Man got a ton of face time over in Alias and Avengers. Both count as "too soon" for me. (At least, I want to think they're both too soon. I want something new and exciting.) And Fear and Purple wouldn't be able to make Matt "see" Milla in his apartment, would they?

Mastermind is dead, so it shouldn't be him.

I suppose it could be Doctor Doom, if he's still bitter over Fantastic Four #31. :shrug:

Waterhaul posted:

The guy who's messing around with Matt is a new villain unless an established one has decided to change their name and outfit.

Wow, that guy looks creepy as gently caress. Looks like I get something new after all. :neckbeard:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

prefect posted:

Fear put Milla in the looney bin, and Purple Man got a ton of face time over in Alias and Avengers. Both count as "too soon" for me. (At least, I want to think they're both too soon. I want something new and exciting.) And Fear and Purple wouldn't be able to make Matt "see" Milla in his apartment, would they?

Mastermind is dead, so it shouldn't be him.

I suppose it could be Doctor Doom, if he's still bitter over Fantastic Four #31. :shrug:

Wow, that guy looks creepy as gently caress. Looks like I get something new after all. :neckbeard:

God, I love that design. Visually, it's sort of a Mexican Day of the Dead meets Daredevil look.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'd be okay with it being no one messing with Matt at all. I think Foggy's completely right. Coyote's just going to be caught up in it. Matt will even blame him, but in the end a lot of this is about Matt having to take responsibility for his actions.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I loving love me some bitter Foggy Nelson.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Little Mac posted:

I'd be okay with it being no one messing with Matt at all. I think Foggy's completely right. Coyote's just going to be caught up in it. Matt will even blame him, but in the end a lot of this is about Matt having to take responsibility for his actions.

I'm weary of this. I'm afraid of taking Matt back to the ultra-dark place he was. But, if anyone can pull it off right, and have Matt come out the other side, it's Waid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've never read Daredevil before, so I picked up Bendis' complete run and just for kicks the kevin Smith TPB as well, since it was cheap.

Man, that Smith run is like a microcosm of lovely 90s era comics, isn't it? Some pages would totally fit into a Spawn book without looking out of place. Tons of grimdark bullshit, drugs, AIDS, rape and also let's randomly reference Good Will Hunting, because that's totally topical.

I've only gotten a few issues into Bendis' run, but it's like there's a 20 year difference between the two. I just thought that was pretty hilarious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never read Daredevil before, so I picked up Bendis' complete run and just for kicks the kevin Smith TPB as well, since it was cheap.

Man, that Smith run is like a microcosm of lovely 90s era comics, isn't it? Some pages would totally fit into a Spawn book without looking out of place. Tons of grimdark bullshit, drugs, AIDS, rape and also let's randomly reference Good Will Hunting, because that's totally topical.

I've only gotten a few issues into Bendis' run, but it's like there's a 20 year difference between the two. I just thought that was pretty hilarious.

That is just Kevin Smiths writing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That is just Kevin Smiths writing.

Yeah, that's another thing. It's verbose as hell and every page has to have 200 word soliloquies of terribly written prose. God drat it, Kevin Smith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, that's another thing. It's verbose as hell and every page has to have 200 word soliloquies of terribly written prose. God drat it, Kevin Smith.

There is also the fact that the entire storyline is remember this comic? Remember how cool it was well here it is in Daredevil.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was fun when I first read it ten years ago, but it doesn't compare to the stuff that has come out since then. Quesada had some nice art though, and those covers helped sell me on the character.

And there should be some credit given for how it helped get Marvel out of their dark period after their bankruptcy. The Smith/Quesada Daredevil run was a pretty big deal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel it's also a good introductory piece for people. I was just getting back into comics after a break and thought it was good and it allowed me to go right into Bendis' run because I was interested in the character more than from when I stopped reading.

Plus Bendis makes Karen's death such a huge part of his run that the story is almost mandatory to read before going to Bendis. Quesada was most definitely at the top of his game too.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Codependent Poster posted:

I feel it's also a good introductory piece for people. I was just getting back into comics after a break and thought it was good and it allowed me to go right into Bendis' run because I was interested in the character more than from when I stopped reading.

Plus Bendis makes Karen's death such a huge part of his run that the story is almost mandatory to read before going to Bendis. Quesada was most definitely at the top of his game too.

It probably helps to read Smith's run but honestly the Bendis run might be my favorite run of anything ever and I had no problem following despite not reading Smith's run. I would have read it first but Kevin Smith.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Daredevil: Yellow was really good as well. Made me a lot more sympathetic towards the characters after reading it.

Did Battlin' Jack Murdock ever go against Happy Hogan in a boxing match?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So (somehow) End of Days came out, and it's pretty drat great. I've been re-reading Bendis' run again lately and this feels like a natural extension of it. It's pretty much the "dream" section from Bendis' final issue but with some stunning Bill Sienkiewicz art.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Double posting because, well poo poo, I did not see the end page reveal coming.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

It is an interesting ride but I sure as hell don't see where this is all going.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Waterhaul posted:

I love how they showed Coyote in all the promo material, but his reveal STILL had me going "oh poo poo!". gently caress, this book is so good.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I have absolutely no idea who Coyote is and why this is an 'oh poo poo' moment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Revol posted:

He is a "classic" Spider-man joke

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Revol posted:

He's the Spot, and poo poo just got real.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm really glad that waid is making the spot such a threat, because his powers are pretty drat crazy and he could do some awful things with them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I'm really glad that waid is making the spot such a threat, because his powers are pretty drat crazy and he could do some awful things with them.

Like remove Daredevils head, transport his crazy ex wife, and plant Matts fathers skull in his desk?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Like remove Daredevils head, transport his crazy ex wife, and plant Matts fathers skull in his desk?

pretty much! Also this issued pretty much showed why he'd be the scariest assassin ever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If you guys are wondering when did The Spot, a former League of Losers member, became a loving badasas, go read Amazing Spider-Man 589 by Fred Vente. Good, short story on how he brings the Spot back into the world of Spidey. He's also used a few times throughout Dark Reign, but hasn't done anything all that major.

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.
I'm dying to know why he's calling himself Coyote. My mind immediately jumped to Wile E. Coyote, what with the ACME portable holes he uses, but I'm guessing that's not it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So much for his journals. :(

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Coyotes are tricksters! In native american mythology mostly, but I'm sure any Gunnerkrigg reader around here will agree.

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.
I do not know what Gunnerkrigg is, but Coyote-as-trickster god is pretty much the only way a coyote has ever been used in culture so I guess that's got to be the answer.

I think it's neat that, at least on the cover, you can see that the whit designs on Coyote's costume are the negative space between large, intersecting black circles. I'm also curious as to whether his skull face is a mask or something creepier. Poor Spot finally got pushed too far :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm wondering what caused all this, aside from DD beating him. I mean, this is pretty drastic stuff. Spot's always seemed more interested in bank robberies. Maybe it's related to his Darkforce-related powers? Also I was under the impression he was mute for some reason, but I might've been making that up.

• Locked thread