Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CerebralDonut posted:

Actually it's not their first pc game - they ported Ninja Blade to the pc a few years ago. I agree with you overall though - here's to hoping the port is good.

They also released some King's Field games on PC, along with development tools for them. I'm hoping this is the sort of thing they would WANT to do with Souls games, but historically, haven't had the support for.

This may be shaping up to be a bad port, but functionally, it is STILL going to be the best version of Dark Souls, bar none, and Dark Souls is still a bad rear end game, so I figure I'll just bite the bullet, show them there is definitely a market, and hope for the best on future releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

CerebralDonut posted:

Actually it's not their first pc game - they ported Ninja Blade to the pc a few years ago. I agree with you overall though - here's to hoping the port is good.

Don't forget Kings Field.

E: Nevermind, I'm a fool.

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 18, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I finally hit 30 faith and starting using Greater Lightning Spear. In combination with the sun ring and the dusk crown, it hits really hard. I used it to murder Seath and the Stray Demon in short order, and then to finally clear out the titanite demons in the water downstairs at Sen's.

The four kings murdered the crap out of me, though, and I'm nearly out of transient curses. How do you get down there if run out?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Read posted:

In upper Blighttown yes, but I've never had an FPS issue somewhere else. Except maybe once in Anor Londo out of the blue while getting the Hawk Ring.

yeah its nothing crazy but usually at least one incident a day.. And the zone doesn't matter. gently caress. :(

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

a foolish pianist posted:

I finally hit 30 faith and starting using Greater Lightning Spear. In combination with the sun ring and the dusk crown, it hits really hard. I used it to murder Seath and the Stray Demon in short order, and then to finally clear out the titanite demons in the water downstairs at Sen's.

The four kings murdered the crap out of me, though, and I'm nearly out of transient curses. How do you get down there if run out?
Put on the gold serpent ring when you kill the ghosts and soon you'll be swimming in transient curses. If you completely run out you can buy more from the old lady in the aqueduct next to Firelink.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

You can buy them from the female merchant or farm them from spirits. You can also use a cursed weapon, there's a dagger that they drop and the cursed Artorias blade. The final option isn't recommended, but you can get yourself cursed by the frogs and that will do it (although you'll be at half health).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Run.

From the first bridge, run to the right past the first two ghosts. Drop off the ledge into the water, and either run past or kill the Darkwraith on the right. You can then sprint like crazy past the room with the two ghosts and two Darkwraiths. You should immediately go through the fog door and move down the steps.

It's scary, but if you're not summoning people it's the fastest way. If you need some help, try summoning at the first landing, otherwise everyone drops signs at the fog door. Obviously kill everything before you summon anybody.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Be a cool kid and don't even fight any ghosts.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sorry if it's already been posted, but...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/17/dark-souls-pc-prepare-to-sigh/

Looks like not only is Dark Souls PC going to feature GFWL, but it's apparently going to be a pretty direct, 1:1 port, meaning no additional graphics options, no real KB+M support, no extra graphics optimization, etc.

:smith:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

GreatGreen posted:

Looks like not only is Dark Souls PC going to feature GFWL, but it's apparently going to be a pretty direct, 1:1 port, meaning no additional graphics options, no real KB+M support, no extra graphics optimization, etc.

Is there any chance the game will still have terrible fps in certain areas or will that automatically be fixed depending on your comp? I thought both 'Souls games were really beautiful so I don't mind if the graphics are the same.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

GreatGreen posted:

Oh no the PC port is going to be a port without unnecessary bullshit and instead actual content how TERRIBLE
I have to write an article on this immediately!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Yeah, I mean psh, who uses a m+kb on their computer these days.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC neckbeards love to complain about the lack of sliders in their pc ports though. ohhh nooo i can't change the fov! Gimme a break, rps.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oh no the PC port is going to be a port without unnecessary bullshit and instead actual content how TERRIBLE
I have to write an article on this immediately!

What is the point of a pc port without the ability to max out all the settings to super high? That's why I play PC games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

We've already been discussing this for a while now, in this thread. That RPS article is pretty horrible, as is most of RPS. Their writers really like to freak out about stuff. This is the 2nd article now that they've bashed Dark Souls, they just really hate that game I guess.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

All of that stuff is unimportant as long as the game works reasonably well. As long as it sets the resolution correctly and can use a gamepad to play then whatever.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hey lets have the console players complain about pc players complaining the pc ports of console games are bad. This always goes well.

Sucks about the PC version though. I mean it's good that the PC is getting it I guess but I don't see why they'd go through the effort of adding new content yet not bother adding mouse/keyboard or graphic options.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

All of that stuff is unimportant as long as the game works reasonably well. As long as it sets the resolution correctly and can use a gamepad to play then whatever.

I dunno about that, but almost anything is ok if it has the right price.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My only worry with Dark Souls PC is the controls, actually. I just... can't quite fathom how to make it work with a mouse and keyboard. As it stands everythign is really intuitive and naturally placed. I can't really pick how you'd map the left and right handed attacks in a way that's as natural and effective as the shoulder buttons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

My only worry with Dark Souls PC is the controls, actually. I just... can't quite fathom how to make it work with a mouse and keyboard. As it stands everythign is really intuitive and naturally placed. I can't really pick how you'd map the left and right handed attacks in a way that's as natural and effective as the shoulder buttons.

Uhhh left and right click?

Double click for the strong movements.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Just realized that I can't help other players kill NPCs like Lautrec even if they initiate combat. But, boy did it ever trip me out at first on my low level fist weapons gimmick character as I thought somehow another players ghost was attacking the player and I couldn't interfere. I just watched him die while doing the shrug emote.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uhhh left and right click?

Double click for the strong movements.

Left/Right for attacks, 1 and 2 for consumables, wasd for movement, hold space and any direction key to roll. Moving the mouse around will be for controlling the camera. It should be incredibly easy. Not many ways FROM can screw this up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Buy wired xbox controller.
Step 2: Plug in wired xbox controller.
Step 3: Use wired xbox controller.

shazam

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I doubted a PC version would work out from before they even announced it since a lot of what Dark Souls does really well involves removing your control (in terms of options, difficulty settings, etc) and dealing with things as the game presents them, which is sort of its whole design philosophy. A lot of what it uses to its greatest effect, basically, are things that PC gamers naturally hate, as the PC is suited well to mods and control over your game experience and such.

Most of what people were saying before about how "perfectly suited" Dark Souls is for PC seemed to be coming from people who have never played it before--I tend much more toward PC games in general but Dark Souls really feels like it's most at home on consoles to me. That said, relatively little is known about the port so far and there's no sense overreacting about it until the thing gets closer to release. A lot could change, and that article seems largely to be drawing from inference anyway. If nothing else, hey, new content.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Here's how you do it.

shazam
Or use just about any dual analog controller with a similar button configuration and just use this http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/wiki/MainPage.

As much as I think any game on PC needs a vaguely functional KB&M setup, there really is no excuse to not have a dual-analog gamepad if you are a PC gamer. Simply put, some games just play better. It is like playing racing games without a wheel. Sure, you can do it, but it isn't exactly recommended. Analog controller is a good secondary, but KB&M are often the worst for it.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

GrickleGrass posted:

Just realized that I can't help other players kill NPCs like Lautrec even if they initiate combat. But, boy did it ever trip me out at first on my low level fist weapons gimmick character as I thought somehow another players ghost was attacking the player and I couldn't interfere. I just watched him die while doing the shrug emote.

I've never gotten the chance to do this, but since you brought it up, does anyone know if it's possible for the phantom to just stand in a doorway between Laurtec and the host and have the host attack through them? Or do NPCs like that act the same as PC ghosts?

KittenMittons!!
Oct 31, 2010
So I was helping newbies kill the Taurus Demon with a Sunbro character I just made and one of the guys that summoned me dropped roughly 100 items. Now I have 50-100 of all the shards/chunks, a couple slabs, and a bunch of weapons, armor, and rings a character that hasn't even cleared Twin Gargs yet should have. What just happened?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I logged in today on the 360 and there weren't any messages anywhere. I was... very depressed. Did I just catch a weird shard?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I doubted a PC version would work out from before they even announced it since a lot of what Dark Souls does really well involves removing your control (in terms of options, difficulty settings, etc) and dealing with things as the game presents them, which is sort of its whole design philosophy. A lot of what it uses to its greatest effect, basically, are things that PC gamers naturally hate, as the PC is suited well to mods and control over your game experience and such.

Most of what people were saying before about how "perfectly suited" Dark Souls is for PC seemed to be coming from people who have never played it before--I tend much more toward PC games in general but Dark Souls really feels like it's most at home on consoles to me. That said, relatively little is known about the port so far and there's no sense overreacting about it until the thing gets closer to release. A lot could change, and that article seems largely to be drawing from inference anyway. If nothing else, hey, new content.

Honestly, if we got an announcement saying the dlc was coming to the ps3 I probably wouldn't bother getting the pc version. Better fps is nice, but I agree with all of your post.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

KittenMittons!! posted:

So I was helping newbies kill the Taurus Demon with a Sunbro character I just made and one of the guys that summoned me dropped roughly 100 items. Now I have 50-100 of all the shards/chunks, a couple slabs, and a bunch of weapons, armor, and rings a character that hasn't even cleared Twin Gargs yet should have. What just happened?

He probably had a bunch of surplus from using the Bottomless Box glitch.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Here's how you do it.

shazam

I was about to link to the cheap wireless receiver on dealextreme for those who want to use a wireless xbox controller but they don't seem to be there anymore :(. I got mine from there about a month ago and it works perfectly. I don't think Microsoft even make them anymore and when they did they were like 50 bucks, instead of about 10.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I said come in! posted:

Left/Right for attacks, 1 and 2 for consumables, wasd for movement, hold space and any direction key to roll. Moving the mouse around will be for controlling the camera. It should be incredibly easy. Not many ways FROM can screw this up.

The only thing that's difficult is that each attack has light and heavy versions and there's no way that a PC can account for that many buttons (I've actually read that argument before). p.s. shiftkey + click PROBLEM SOLVED. :pcgaming:

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Schlegel Mach posted:

I've never gotten the chance to do this, but since you brought it up, does anyone know if it's possible for the phantom to just stand in a doorway between Laurtec and the host and have the host attack through them? Or do NPCs like that act the same as PC ghosts?

Yes, you can physically block them, you just can't damage them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Saying a 3rd person action (terror?) game is better on KB&M is as weird as saying an FPS is better on a controller.

The wired 360 pad is a great buy for anyone, and in Win7 it's automatically picked up and supported too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Rolling is really the only tricky part as being able to roll to certain spots is important for certain things, like killing Wrath spammers. Maybe they could do some kind of left click plus right click plus directional flick with the mouse or something. Or I guess Shift plus flick, whereas R plus attack could be kick and R plus double attack could be the leaping attack or something.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 18, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Schlegel Mach posted:

This is actually exactly how I and another phantom helped a host kill Lautrec. He got stuck in the entrance to the undead church endlessly running into our shrugging faces, while the host used shockwaves to kill him.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Just had a great time co-oping in the parish on my gimmick character. A darkwraith invaded one of the players I was phantoming for and he was shirtless and equipped with an offhand claw, some sort of spear (I think the partizan) that had an overhead swing downward, and the boar helm.

My gimmick character uses dual +5 caestus', so the two of us squared off in the square area between the church and andrei like it was some sort of boxing ring. The host didn't even interfere, must've been content to watch the bloodsport. The claw had an absolutely incredible reach, it was either that or latency issues, as it kept hitting me when I thought I had plenty of distance. So he kept pressing and chipping away at my health, while I'd roll into him, pop off two or three punches, and roll away. It was pretty close down to the end, where he got the upper hand on me when I whiffed and hit me with a good combo.

I was near death and desperate, he with more health than me and the longer reach I likely wouldn't last another exchange. I rolled away and managed to use the gold pine resin I had equipped in preparation for the gargoyles. He attacks with the spear and I roll past him, turning around and hitting him with a right and then a jab. It staggered him, so I hit him with another right hand and he was down for the count.

The host did one of the celebratory emotes, and I felt drat good as I hadn't exactly had the best track record against enemy phantoms in the burg on this gimmick character.

By the way, which one of you guys is "ha_ha_butts"? He invaded another host of mine.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Some questions for y'all:

1) What determines whether an invasion item i.e. Red Eye defaults to Yes/No when you use it? Sometimes it changes and I cannot figure out why, and I want to press as few buttons as possible :fat:

2) The greatsword of Artorias fuckin' owns. This is a statement, not a question. :darksouls:

3) Can anyone please translate this for me? It really was a good fight:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:chord::megaman::yoshi: SL1 FOUR KINGS COMPLETED :yoshi::megaman::chord:

Since I'm not that great at dodging, I chose the opposite strategy - I put on the full stone armor set, along with the grass crest shield for stamina. This put me near 100% burden but gave me huge poise. I also used the ring of FaP. When a king first showed up I'd approach with the shield out to absorb at least some damage, then move right next to him and start wailing two-handed. You really don't take that much damage, and even the purple attack or grab only takes half your life. I was able to get about three hits in a row in before running out of stamina, in which case I made sure I was still hugging him and refilled my health. I think it's better than the light armor flip strategy because there's much less chance of getting one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Man every so often you have a pvp encounter which is so entertaining you almost forget that 90 percent of the pvp in this game is flip-ringing, farming douchebags. Yesterday I invaded some dude in Anor Londo near the screw elevator and I couldn't find him. I was standing on the bridge for a solid minute just wondering where this guy could be. As it turns out he was hiding under the bridge (I forgot about that bit), and was summoning someone for help. I spotted them coming up the stairs and charged the both of them, because screw getting gang-banged. I didn't really get a good look at the phantom of sunlight, but the host was wearing thief's armour and wielding something pretty nasty looking. Nonetheless, I charged into him with my tattered cloth armour and club and smashed him right in the face. I got one more hit in before he backpedalled a little bit and then tumbled right off the edge of the stairs to his death. Wonder what his sunlight bro must have thought.

I think the forest covenant would be more interesting if you didn't get anything for killing the invaders, or at least got very little... that way there would be no point in farming there and you'd end up invading people who aren't just parked at the gate with 2 phantoms. The other day I invaded a group and the moment I finished summoning I was killed almost instantly by Wrath of God spam. Pretty exciting. At least I didn't have any souls to give them, cause gently caress that!

The news about the pc version doesn't sound too inspiring... unless they make some optimisations the game is still going to have performance problems in areas like Blighttown. Don't get me wrong though, happy to have the pc version as an option. Don't even really care about GFWL.

Can you use ps3 controllers with your pc?

• Locked thread