Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

homeless snail posted:

Holy poo poo this video is amazing, that is a gigantic dick move.

There is no such thing as dick moves when dealing with invading phantoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

qbert posted:

There is no such thing as dick moves when dealing with invading phantoms.

I'm pretty amazed by the sheer number of invaders in that video. When you kill one does it just drop in another one in that area?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Wise Teen posted:

I'm pretty amazed by the sheer number of invaders in that video. When you kill one does it just drop in another one in that area?

I think the video had the boring parts edited out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Wise Teen posted:

Must be something special about purple phantoms.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

homeless snail posted:

Must be something special about purple phantoms.

My understanding is that they're spirits of vengeance tasked with hunting down oathbreakers who have left a covenant. Regular invaders are red-tinted rather'n purple, and helpers are glowy and white. And, apparently, your name stays on the list of oathbrakers - probably near the top - until you get killed for satisfaction. So it looks like you can get some kind of 'most wanted' reputation going by staying on that list for as long as you're able to cut down all comers.

Go choke and die.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 1, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best PvP video I've seen (maybe it's been posted already but I can't keep up with 20 pages of posts every 12 hours), only mild spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak

The invading phantoms are purple because: They're hunting an oath breaker of their faction

This is the mild spoiler: There is a ring that reportedly makes you almost totally translucent in the forest area only

Man gently caress that bowing at the end. If you're going to grief someone in Dark Souls you do it to be an rear end in a top hat. You're there to assassinate them. You know what- if someone bows to me and takes the time to "introduce" themselves I'm going to use that time to get the first shot in, so I hope it DOES take off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am going to break every oath to get some purple fucks to invade me.

BRING IT ON! :black101:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In a place full or horrible monsters that want to kill me. And yes.

poo poo, now I'm there. Anor Rand, goddamn gargoyles and statues

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
What's the deal with magic in this game? I notice there is no mana.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Limited casts of each spell - refilled at bonfires.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Mana is gone. You just have charges that must be refilled at bonfires by resting (DnD style)

edit: we were all beaten

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

You have a limited number of charges per spell, but you can equip them multiple times or buy upgrades to increase the number of casts.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Demon's Souls had casters that used mana, but in a nutshell, this contributed to making casters much too powerful compared to melee in both PvE and PvP. Now, casters get a set amount of times they can cast any given spell between bonfires, effectively meaning "run out and you're out" in PvP situations. Generally, the stronger the spell, the fewer the casts allotted.

edit: this fukin thread.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are the odds of IGN putting up the 24 hour cast as a vod? I'd love to rewatch the first few hours of it.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

enojy posted:

Demon's Souls had casters that used mana, but in a nutshell, this contributed to making casters much too powerful compared to melee in both PvE and PvP. Now, casters get a set amount of times they can cast any given spell between bonfires, effectively meaning "run out and you're out" in PvP situations. Generally, the stronger the spell, the fewer the casts allotted.

edit: this fukin thread.

Doesn't this make casters way way weaker than anything else? Like you run out of casts then, welp.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that spells in general seem to get more bang for the buck.

There is longer cast times and limited uses but harder hitting spells. They want you to use a spell and have it be well placed it seems. Also some spells have a "resonance" feature to it. The more people that cast resonant spells in an area empower spells for everyone.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Doesn't this make casters way way weaker than anything else? Like you run out of casts then, welp.

I watched a little bit of a couple streams playing casters and this didn't look to be the case. It seemed like as long as they weren't blowing fireballs on every random grunt that walked by the had enough charges to kill the scarier things. They didn't seem to be having much problem.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Not entirely so, since casters will be able to equip rudimentary weapons and/or shields. Odds just swing in favor of the opponent when the caster runs out of casts. Backstabs can still happen, resulting in a good deal of damage, even from a caster.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
Also holy poo poo that video. That seems like an incredibly effective way to farm.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that spells in general seem to get more bang for the buck.

There is longer cast times and limited uses but harder hitting spells. They want you to use a spell and have it be well placed it seems. Also some spells have a "resonance" feature to it. The more people that cast resonant spells in an area empower spells for everyone.

Resonance is only for miracles, I believe.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

enojy posted:

Not entirely so, since casters will be able to equip rudimentary weapons and/or shields. Odds just swing in favor of the opponent when the caster runs out of casts. Backstabs can still happen, resulting in a good deal of damage, even from a caster.

There's enough low-power, high stock spells that you're set until the next bonfire. Caster-centric upgrades still exist, so you can't take it for granted that the weapon they're wielding doesn't have some kind of crazy modifier on it. Not to mention there are weapons that are enchanted with elemental damage and don't scale with stats at all, but just have baseline high attack power.

Casters are juuuuust fine. Still somewhat boring, but fine.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

waspinator posted:

What are the odds of IGN putting up the 24 hour cast as a vod? I'd love to rewatch the first few hours of it.

http://www.twitch.tv/brandon505/b/296296039

:ssh:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Resonance is only for miracles, I believe.

Yes I should have mentioned that.

Well in that case, I forgot to mention that generally there are spells, and then stronger versions of the spell. For instance there is a Flame Toss spell that has 8 uses, but then a Strong Flame Toss which has only 4, but is more damage.

I think there is also supposed to be over 30 spells in the game if I recall correctly.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope there's more variety on miracles. The first new two we knew about, Lightning Bolt and Force, or whatever the AoE quake is called look like a good start.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yes I should have mentioned that.

Well in that case, I forgot to mention that generally there are spells, and then stronger versions of the spell. For instance there is a Flame Toss spell that has 8 uses, but then a Strong Flame Toss which has only 4, but is more damage.

I think there is also supposed to be over 30 spells in the game if I recall correctly.

Oh, there's more than that. Quite a bit more.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This might be a silly question but do they count in miracles in the "over 30 spells"?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmmm, spoiler city now. Time to bow out till Tuesday. Have fun guys!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So, after about eight hours, these are the ways I can go

1) Area with enemies that I can't hurt with my current equipment
2) Area with enemies that I can whittle down but revive immediately after death
3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The.GreyWolf posted:

This might be a silly question but do they count in miracles in the "over 30 spells"?

I seem to remember (possibly misremember) the game's director saying Dark Souls had over twices as many spells as Demon's Souls so that would be well over 30. I think Demon's Souls had 22 spells and 12 miracles.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

GhostDog posted:

3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

If there's one thing the Malatora thread taught me, it's that dragons are sissies! Full speed ahead! :shepface:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GhostDog posted:

3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

I guess Dark Souls is trying to tell you to remodel your bathroom.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Back in the old thread I mentioned that there is a gate that is locked from one side (like in Demon's, the ones that allow you to shortcut areas you have already been in) that even though I opened it, for some reason kept being closed when I came at it again after dying. I thought it was a bug, but just now I saw an enemy see I was coming, and run to the other side of the gate and close it to keep me from getting through.

This game, man...

I know this is from a few pages ago but I'm still lmbo about that. Wanna give that little guy a medal.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 1, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If it's the part I'm thinking of, GhostDog has a freaking awesome bathroom.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I never made it very far in Demon's Souls, but it's definitely the best challenge-to-fun ratio I've come across. So, with the hope that Dark Souls won't have a god-awful level like Valley of Defilement, I will gladly throw myself back in.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IconicIronic posted:

I never made it very far in Demon's Souls, but it's definitely the best challenge-to-fun ratio I've come across. So, with the hope that Dark Souls won't have a god-awful level like Valley of Defilement, I will gladly throw myself back in.

Another gamer falls prey to the Valley of Mistaken Perceptions

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

IconicIronic posted:

Well, right now I am in an area that is like 5-1, but I haven't seen any place like 5-2 yet (with muck all over the floor), if that is what you are worried about.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Alert, goons! I found a store in L.A. that broke the street date! I just picked up two copies for the PS3 and will be not sleeping at all this weekend. Why did I pick up two copies? Because I'm happy to help out my fellow goon. So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like the game early, I will sell it to you at the same cost I paid for it, which is like, $60 plus tax. It is the standard version, but still, four days early!

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Posting this in the hopes that it actually does something: http://goo.gl/MZQ2k

I clicked through a couple of pages worth to help out. I preordered this tonight, i'm just going back and forth on if i'll actually open it. For some reason I'm worried this game is just going to frustrate me and i'll be out sixty bucks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ireladd posted:

Alert, goons! I found a store in L.A. that broke the street date! I just picked up two copies for the PS3 and will be not sleeping at all this weekend. Why did I pick up two copies? Because I'm happy to help out my fellow goon. So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like the game early, I will sell it to you at the same cost I paid for it, which is like, $60 plus tax. It is the standard version, but still, four days early!

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, right now I am in an area that is like 5-1, but I haven't seen any place like 5-2 yet (with muck all over the floor), if that is what you are worried about.

Ha, 5-1 was easily much, MUCH worse than 5-2. Don't get me wrong, I loved the concept of both levels, especially that they specifically put enemies that shove you in them, but I died way more often in 5-1. I was much more intimidated by 5-2, psychologically. But 5-1 is much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

qbert posted:

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Are you going to bust them?

• Locked thread