Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2246 »
Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

not a dinosaur posted:

Is it feasible to get the ability to invade dudes at an extremely low level? I guess you have to basically beat the game which I haven't done with a regular character yet, but I have a level six dude with a drake's sword, finishing up Blight Town now, and it would be cool to just slaughter people trying to get help for the bell gargoyle or whatever.

True Dark Souls starts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

You need to kill Shiva to get his shield sorry.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

ArchRanger posted:

Do weapons stop scaling with stats after a certain point? I've gotten my Dex to 41 and it seems the only thing that's affected by it rising anymore is my Bow, and only barely then. Getting the feeling I may've wasted an absolute ton of levels getting it to that point.

Think I've done this too. It's annoying, because it was similar in DeS, whereas a Faith build would constantly up your damage significantly, I found.

I'm pumping end. now so I can wear good armour and still roll.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blood in, blood out.

not a dinosaur posted:

Is it feasible to get the ability to invade dudes at an extremely low level? I guess you have to basically beat the game which I haven't done with a regular character yet, but I have a level six dude with a drake's sword, finishing up Blight Town now, and it would be cool to just slaughter people trying to get help for the bell gargoyle or whatever.

Yeah. My level 13 character has the red orb from the Darkwraiths, as well as all kinds of tricked out endgame gear. As long as you keep your equipment up to date it really isn't much harder than playing the game normally. The low stamina kind of sucks when you're trying to block some boss attacks, but I finished pretty much everything in the game at that level as a pure melee character (though I did abuse the captain america shield for Ornstein and Smough). If you want to gently caress some dudes up in the Undead Burg/Parish with your red eye orb and a +5 lightning weapon, it's very possible to do so.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah they totally stop scaling. With my S scaling bow it takes about 3 levels now to even make it do 1 more damage point.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Thinking about it know, I'm pretty sure I accidentally made Frank West my first character in the character creator. He's covered Lordran ya know.

vvvvv That's racist. Also please get in contact with From Software so I can play Riot vs FromSoft thanks in advance.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 09:55

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

I felt kinda bad for killing the boss of the painted world. And then I read the description on the soul and everything was alright.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

not a dinosaur posted:

It's very feasible and it's very awesome. Hunting people down in blight town is fun as hell

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

I don't know what the problem with the fog ring is. If you don't want to get ghosted, don't come into my forest

It would be pretty cool actually if they nerfed the fog ring everywhere outside of the forest Seal area, but kept the no-lockon effect in there. It's only a 1 minute run to the big cat so you'd only end up getting stuck with PVP fog assholes if you linger too long.

I really enjoy using the fog ring in the forest covenant. There was one guy who kept doing the "come at me" gesture and wouldn't follow me into the forest to get mobbed by all the other NPCs, so I spent 30 minutes being the predator and shooting arrows into him as he tried to hide behind trees. Eventually he charged me and I cooked him up with some pyromancy

I_Socom fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 10:27

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

not a dinosaur posted:

The only roadblock to doing so is killing Four Kings. It is definitely possible (someone a few dozen pages back did it at SL11) but you basically need to have some good luck and a min-maxed weapon and armour set.

edit; It wouldn't take that long either really, if you took the Master Key so you could skip Blighttown.

Pierson fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 10:14

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

I've just realised how badly this game needs some Portishead for the soundtrack. Not that there's anything wrong with the score - it's amazing - but imagine a couple of significant areas having a bit of Portishead banging through them.

As much as I love the atmosphere, I have yet to encounter anything as amazing as the last stage of Valley of Defilement. The score in that area and the whole setup of the level is just incredible.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Gazmachine posted:

I've just realised how badly this game needs some Portishead for the soundtrack. Not that there's anything wrong with the score - it's amazing - but imagine a couple of significant areas having a bit of Portishead banging through them.

Uhhhh no thanks.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

Why did I get this poo poo for the xbox. They are not even going to bring the patch to 360 and if they are it'll be 6 months from here.

Goddamnit.

Fonzarelli
Aug 15, 2004

Jumping the Shark

Phonics posted:

Why did I get this poo poo for the xbox. They are not even going to bring the patch to 360 and if they are it'll be 6 months from here.

Goddamnit.

Are you basing this on anything or is it just angry conjecture?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Gazmachine posted:

As much as I love the atmosphere, I have yet to encounter anything as amazing as the last stage of Valley of Defilement. The score in that area and the whole setup of the level is just incredible.

I think the final boss and the preceding area are at least that effective. I mean the whole game you've fought huge demons and flamboyant knights to stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVKS...eature=related, and when you fight through it all you get to ruins in a pit of ash and he's an old man at a dying fire, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDs...feature=related plays. And the only ones loyal to him are the knights he sacrificed to link the fire in the first place.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 10:39

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

Fonzarelli posted:

Angry conjecture. Microsoft certification for patches is total bullshit and I doubt getting the patch to 360 is any kind of priority for them.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Fonzarelli posted:

The xbox is pretty notorious for having a long certification process for updates resulting in other platforms getting updates much quicker.

Mighty Dicktron
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

But the patch for 1.03 has already gone through for the 360 so I don't know what you're talking about?

Edit: Ah, so there's another patch coming out. Although seeing as how quickly the 1.03 one happened, I don't think it's going to take very long.

Mighty Dicktron fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 10:46

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Lautrec, you conniving son of a bitch. Poison arrow's the best you'll get from me.

The guilty pay the price!

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

KezzKezzan posted:

But the patch for 1.03 has already gone through for the 360 so I don't know what you're talking about?

Edit: Ah, so there's another patch coming out. Although seeing as how quickly the 1.03 one happened, I don't think it's going to take very long.

1.04 is a balance patch not fixing game breaking bugs.

Sheep-Goats
Jul 28, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

The NPC "Invaders" are found:
  • Before the boss cave in Blighttown
  • The Depths, bottom of the sewers / Demon Ruins after defeating the first boss / Lost Izalith outside boss chamber
  • Tomb of Giants by the gold fog door
  • Painted World of Ariamis, the undead graveyard]

It should be noted that they will not invade if you already cleared that area's boss.

Good list. Does this include all three iterations of Kirk?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Professor Latency posted:

Yeah they totally stop scaling. With my S scaling bow it takes about 3 levels now to even make it do 1 more damage point.

This is probably because your S scaling bow has an incredibly low base damage. Scaling is directly dependent on the base damage.

A question of my own:
I went and obliterated Pinwheel, but I got the mask I wanted the least. Is there any other way of getting the Mask of the Child short of hoping for better luck in NG+?

I'm considering starting over and rushing straight to him, it would be the 4th time I restarted however... I'm really getting my money's worth out of Dark Souls.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 11:12

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

What's the deal with Gwyndolin? I rest at the bonfire right before him, but when I die I respawn at the one right at the start of Anor Londo and have to go through the stupid church every time.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level

Hamburger Test posted:

This is probably because your S scaling bow has an incredibly low base damage. Scaling is directly dependent on the base damage.

A question of my own:
I went and obliterated Pinwheel, but I got the mask I wanted the least. Is there any other way of getting the Mask of the Child short of hoping for better luck in NG+?

I'm considering starting over and rushing straight to him, it would be the 4th time I restarted however... I'm really getting my money's worth out of Dark Souls.

Spoiling just in case, but Patches will have all the masks available for sale after you finish the Tomb of the Giants, if you didn't kill him that is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's really too bad there's not an Old Monk like encounter in this game. I really thought that part of Demon's Souls was really unique and special, if a tad frustrating at times (The key was to kill the player while they were doing their pre-battle bow, at least on the chinese servers)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Plot stuff:

Does anyone else think that Ceaseless Discharge is one of Izaliths daughters? It's completely passive until you pick up the black robes. If you read the robes item description you'll see that they belonged to another of her daughters. Poor thing is just trying to protect the resting place of her sister.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

CardTech posted:

Spoiling just in case, but Patches will have all the masks available for sale after you finish the Tomb of the Giants, if you didn't kill him that is.

He never showed up for me in catacombs. He is supposed to be up the stairs on the left when you exit from the second bonfire isn't he?.

I guess I can try searching the next area to see if he isn't completely gone, but the hate that area has been getting seems to be well deserved for the 2 minutes I spent in there - before clipping through geometry and stopping for the night. If not I'll try restarting on a suicide Pinwheel run. I actually enjoy blasting through the early game anyway.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

I just finished up Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and I really was let down with it. Pinwheel and Nito were probably the 2 easiest boss fights, I was excpecting something especially hard from the 2nd one too. Tomb of the Giants was not that bad as well, yeah its annoying until you get to the second bonfire, but you get the lantern prety quickly and the dark area is pretty simple once you can SEE it. Here's hoping the Demon Ruins will be a little more challenging.

^^^^ I never saw him in the catacombs either but he still showed up in the Tomb.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Final boss fight spoilers: It's kind of bullshit if you're playing a pure melee heavy armor build with no magic (trying to avoid trivializing it with Iron Flesh). The only chance you have for attacking is right after he misses the grab and god forbid you don't manage your stamina correctly because if he uses the 2h combo twice in a row and you don't have at least 75% stamina after the first one you're hosed, even with a Black Iron Shield +15 and 34 endurance.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Slacker Ace posted:

Final boss fight spoilers: It's kind of bullshit if you're playing a pure melee heavy armor build with no magic (trying to avoid trivializing it with Iron Flesh). The only chance you have for attacking is right after he misses the grab and god forbid you don't manage your stamina correctly because if he uses the 2h combo twice in a row and you don't have at least 75% stamina after the first one you're hosed, even with a Black Iron Shield +15 and 34 endurance.

You can parry most of hs attacks, rather easily in fact

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Slacker Ace posted:

What, just parry dude.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Guess it never crossed my mind that a boss could be parried.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Hamburger Test posted:

He never showed up for me in catacombs. He is supposed to be up the stairs on the left when you exit from the second bonfire isn't he?.

I guess I can try searching the next area to see if he isn't completely gone, but the hate that area has been getting seems to be well deserved for the 2 minutes I spent in there - before clipping through geometry and stopping for the night. If not I'll try restarting on a suicide Pinwheel run. I actually enjoy blasting through the early game anyway.

He's over by the graveyard area actually. He's right outside the left exit where Frampt shows up I believe.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I find it funny that despite me killing Patches he showed up as merchant at Firelink.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Ovo posted:

I just finished up Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and I really was let down with it. Pinwheel and Nito were probably the 2 easiest boss fights, I was excpecting something especially hard from the 2nd one too. Tomb of the Giants was not that bad as well, yeah its annoying until you get to the second bonfire, but you get the lantern prety quickly and the dark area is pretty simple once you can SEE it. Here's hoping the Demon Ruins will be a little more challenging.

^^^^ I never saw him in the catacombs either but he still showed up in the Tomb.

I really liked the visual design of the Tomb boss, but man too easy...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Plot stuff:

Does anyone else think that Ceaseless Discharge is one of Izaliths daughters? It's completely passive until you pick up the black robes. If you read the robes item description you'll see that they belonged to another of her daughters. Poor thing is just trying to protect the resting place of her sister.
Extreme spoilers for the latter half of the game:

It's definitely that. All the demons you fight are spawned from Izalith and the witches, as Izalith loving with the chaos flames leads to all the witches becoming horrific monsters. Queelag, Queelan(?) and Quelana are the only witches who pretty much escape getting turned into batshit insane demons, and both Queelag and Queelan still get hit really hard despite apparently being on the very fringe of the blast that caused the transformation. Quelana is the last of the true witches, and (I think?) is the hollow you end up fighting right before Bed of Chaos.

Pretty much every single small sidestory that NPCs have are tragic, and there's even incredible details that hint at more of stuff like that, such as (Archives spoiler) the abominations you fight in the prison tower actually being transformed maidens, the same as Rhea. At the very bottom of the tower you'll find two of them who are non-aggressive making distinctly female crying sounds. They're also the ones that drop the unique miracles that specifically referencing being only given to the maidens.

I think out of all of the NPCs you meetonly two or three of them live through their storylines beyond the blacksmiths and merchants. Solaire, Lautrec and Onion Knight's daughter. Everybody else goes hollow, or you distinctly kill them for whatever reason. I kinda wonder if anything happens if you let Lautrec live, but I doubt it. Overall I'm not really sure what his deal is but he seems like a pretty cool dude despite the whole "killing firekeepers" deal. (I think he might actually be part of the Princess Guard covenant(?) due to the description of his armor.

Also, Solaire is the real hero of the story and you're just a chump~

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

So should I be doing Tomb of Giants right after Catacombs? I fell to my death twice right at the start and said gently caress it. I have no clue where to find that lantern.

Also, could someone point me to that video of the guy farming souls in the forest? I just opened the door and forgot how he did it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

evilalien posted:

He's over by the graveyard area actually. He's right outside the left exit where Frampt shows up I believe.

You're talking about after you have cleared the tomb of kings aren't you? He's supposed to show up in both areas and be a dick before that, which hasn't happened to me either of the two times I went through the first part.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Dave Grolsch posted:

So should I be doing Tomb of Giants right after Catacombs? I fell to my death twice right at the start and said gently caress it. I have no clue where to find that lantern.

Also, could someone point me to that video of the guy farming souls in the forest? I just opened the door and forgot how he did it.

Depends on whether you've beaten Ornstein & Smough yet. There is useful stuff to find down there before as well I guess, but the boss will be unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

I've been looking forward to my first bit of hatemail on this game. I incinerated some guy I invaded with a single fireball and I got a message from a very angry 'Lahndahnah' calling me a "magic using pussy". I love Xbox Live

«2246 »