Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
How can you gravelord the Kiln?? Dont you need to kill Nito to even get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kiln Glitch solves all problems.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think killing Nito breaks the covenant, so you can become a Gravelord Servant, kill Nito, and then go to the Kiln.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

zachol posted:

I vaguely remember something about double the requirements getting you a faster swing. Is that just a myth?

Myth.

You get faster spells with dexterity. Nothing effects weapon swing speeds.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I just helped someone kill gaping dragon. Along with two other white phantoms. I'm guessing someone tried to invade but it got confused? Never seen three white phantoms at once before.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fonzarelli posted:

I think that this game creates the best feeling in the world, when you invade somebody and run towards them, and they just turn tail and run away. The idea of somebody just going "OHHH gently caress RED GUY" and trying to make a break for it with no real plan to deal with the situation is so funny to me.

I have prompted epic host panic attacks twice before, both as Darkmoon, both in Ariamis.

So the first time, I invade and spawn in at the top of the spiral staircase. I notice all the crows are up and passive, so I assume the host hasn't gotten too far into the map. By the time I get down all the stairs I see a message pop up about a phantom having been summoned; clearly this dude has just left the bonfire at the start.

I sprint closer to the start, through the building with all the engorged zombies, and into the small building located right after the first set of normal zombies. I move past the zombie chilling in the doorway and hide behind the wall.

I wait a couple minutes while the host and his phantom work their way up there. As soon as I see the zombie in the doorway aggro someone and run out, I wait 5 seconds and charge out right on it's heels.

There is what is probably a now very surprised phantom finishing off a zombie right in front of me that I cut down in a 3-hit combo. The host is right behind him and flips out, runs a big circle around me, dodge rolls three times and the last time he goes right off a bridge and falls to his death.

The second time was less elaborate but all the more fun because of it. I find this guy also right at the beginning of the map but this time I have spawned in on the starting bridge. I catch up to him right as he summons a phantom, who is in the map for about half a second before I have killed him and turned to face the host.

We start poking at each other and he keeps his nerve until I get a bleed proc right through his shield and he panics. He takes off down towards the starting bridge and I chase him in circles in the small snowy area. He goes back into the map and runs up the first set of stairs, smack into all the zombies and has to jump past me to get away from them. He's opened the first shortcut door previously and charges blindly into the courtyard, aggroing all the phalanx. He gets chased down into the big cave with the wheel skeletons and back out of it, threads through the now scattered phalanx, flees back out past the bonfire where he finally does one too many dodge rolls away from me and goes right off the cliff. I was nearly paralyzed with laughter halfway through once he started bringing every enemy in the entire level after him, which is why he survived so long!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I was able to get a few summons tonight for O&S, what a jolly good time. Sweet way to farm some souls too, I bought a poo poo ton of twinkling titanite and all my unique weapons/armor are maxed now. O&S almost seem too easy with 2 people though..

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
After more gravelording at SL9 in gargoyleland I reiterate that it would be way more fun if every person wasn't wielding a lightning weapon, back flipping, and using way stronger armor than they should. First spirit of vengeance I got had the gargoyle helm on, something they shouldn't be even able to get if I was gravelording them there. I understand I'm kind of greifing low leveled guys, but I'm still wearing poo poo gear and a gravelord sword.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Selious posted:

After more gravelording at SL9 in gargoyleland I reiterate that it would be way more fun if every person wasn't wielding a lightning weapon, back flipping, and using way stronger armor than they should. First spirit of vengeance I got had the gargoyle helm on, something they shouldn't be even able to get if I was gravelording them there. I understand I'm kind of greifing low leveled guys, but I'm still wearing poo poo gear and a gravelord sword.

You sure those invaders had anything to do with your gravelording? When I tried out Gravelording, I would just keep getting normal invaders over and over again, since you need to sit around in human form to use the Eyes of Death anyway. I get the impression none of my "infections" ever actually worked, since I put my sign in obvious places and waited loooong period of time without any victim invasions.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Schwartzcough posted:

You sure those invaders had anything to do with your gravelording? When I tried out Gravelording, I would just keep getting normal invaders over and over again, since you need to sit around in human form to use the Eyes of Death anyway. I get the impression none of my "infections" ever actually worked, since I put my sign in obvious places and waited loooong period of time without any victim invasions.

Yea, because if it says 'spirit of vengeance' and is blue it is in response to your sign, and if it is red and says otherwise it is an invasion. Of my three eyes two were invaders with crazy gear, one was a spirit with crazy gear. Eventual lesson is that no matter where you are set up someone will work to be there at low SL with endgame gear.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Selious posted:

It's very easy to farm gargoyle gear. Step through the door, kill the first gargoyle, quit the game and you get punted outside the door again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
If you invade regardless of whether you are or not, you'll end up with NG+ people. I'm SL41 doing Darkwraith stuff all over and today in the Depths and blighttown I run into people with 1400+ hp, full havels, ornstein gear, fury sword, etc.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I had no nibbles attempting to Cooperate In A Jolly Manner at O&S tonight at SL45, has the average level for that gone up a ton since the patch or was I just unlucky?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bummer killed all the Crystal lizards in Great Hollow with no slab to show for it... :(

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I had good luck around 45 at O&S, but the landscape has changed with the patch. You may need to load and reload a time or two.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

a foolish pianist posted:

I had good luck around 45 at O&S, but the landscape has changed with the patch. You may need to load and reload a time or two.

Does reloading shuffle your potential connections? I never tried that, and it may be the secret to why some days at 5pm I got constant Sunbro time and some days nothing at all.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think it connects you to a new lobby, which in turn allows different connections. Someone with more experience may suggest different, though.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

I was able to get a few summons tonight for O&S, what a jolly good time. Sweet way to farm some souls too, I bought a poo poo ton of twinkling titanite and all my unique weapons/armor are maxed now. O&S almost seem too easy with 2 people though..

Yeah, that makes it a lot easier. If you're with two people, the host generally kills whoever they want to die first and the phantom kites the other one along. If there are two phantoms, the third one generally goes to help the host smash in the first victim's face. It's so ridiculously easy compared to solo, even though I do sometimes die due to white phantom brain damage.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Can you do the collect all the weapons achievement across characters or do you need to have all of the rare weapons on one guy?

Does this also count for the collect all the spells / miracles / pyros achievements?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Lunixnerd posted:

Can you do the collect all the weapons achievement across characters or do you need to have all of the rare weapons on one guy?

Does this also count for the collect all the spells / miracles / pyros achievements?

You have to fulfill all of the requirements for an achievement all on one dude, but you don't have to get every achievement on one character. So you can have every rare weapon on one guy, and every spell/miracle/pyromancy on another.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lunixnerd posted:

You need to get at least to Anor Londo in NG++ to get the Knight's Honor achievement.

For the pyro one you can do it in one game. For the spells you need Gwyn's soul, so NG+. Or was it miracles? God it's been a couple of weeks, I can't even remember if the sunbro spears are spells or miracles.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
I thought it would be a good idea in Sen's Fortress, on my SL1 character, to give Mr Onion a kick. Sorry man :( that was my trigger to restart. It was just boring me.

Dexterity weapons at the start of the game - are absolutely shithouse. I was seriously struggling with just the Bandit Knife and Target Shield, and wasn't even up to Taurus demon! No good.

That said, I did beat Bed of Chaos on one of my 'main' characters. While I died 5 or so times, they were from just rushing in. To stand back and actually watch the enemy from the far wall, where everything can be safely dodged, it's a reallllly easy fight. A gimmick, but still easy.

And finally, I ended up killing Solaire. Maybe he didn't actually go hollow! First hollow I've come across that actually talks. He finally found his own sun - and decided 'fuckit I don't need to help you any more I FOUND IT MYSELF' and just decides to do away with you. Solaire you're really just a prick aren't you. :(

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Mostly done with my Dex/Int build.

I decided to go whole hog and invest 50 points in Int just to get the most out of it. I'm assuming the best weapons at this stage are Enchanted Claymore, Moonlight Sword, Moonlight Spear, and maybe Titanite Catch Pole? Also, any tips for landing White Dragon Breath? It's got a good horizontal hitbox and does huge damage, but seem a little tricky to use effectively.

Also, what are the cutoff points for dex enhancing casting speeds?

By the way, playing the game with only 10 vitality just so you can have access to all your toys sooner sure is a thrilling way to play. I highly recommend it!

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

The Stygian posted:

I thought it would be a good idea in Sen's Fortress, on my SL1 character, to give Mr Onion a kick. Sorry man :( that was my trigger to restart. It was just boring me.

Dexterity weapons at the start of the game - are absolutely shithouse. I was seriously struggling with just the Bandit Knife and Target Shield, and wasn't even up to Taurus demon! No good.

That said, I did beat Bed of Chaos on one of my 'main' characters. While I died 5 or so times, they were from just rushing in. To stand back and actually watch the enemy from the far wall, where everything can be safely dodged, it's a reallllly easy fight. A gimmick, but still easy.

And finally, I ended up killing Solaire. Maybe he didn't actually go hollow! First hollow I've come across that actually talks. He finally found his own sun - and decided 'fuckit I don't need to help you any more I FOUND IT MYSELF' and just decides to do away with you. Solaire you're really just a prick aren't you. :(

No, it's actually that in his depression, he find the Sunlight Maggot, a BRAIN EATING PARASITE and decides that it's his last chance to become the Sun. It eats his brain. Slowly. Slowly enough that he recognizes you still by the time you show up. You can actually save him if you're a member of the Servants of Chaos. He'll help you kill Gwyn.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
30 minutes in dark Anor Londo = over 800k souls.

I ran away and hid behind pillars while my amazing sunbro helper Kakugoru_something
kicked rear end like a loving machine. Then I died to a combo of some miracle explosion and an instant backstab from the front.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

The Stygian posted:

Save up 1000 souls and buy the Heater Shield from the Male Undead Merchant. Weighs the same as the Target Shield, but has 100% block and decent resists.

The Bandit's Knife is actually a decent weapon, you just have to remember that it's somewhat balanced with the lovely base damage by the largest critical multiplier and the bleed effect. If you can land three to four slashes on something, it's going to take a lot of bleeding damage, and a backstab will one-shot any normal enemies until the Baldur Knights in the Parish.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

The Betrayer posted:

Save up 1000 souls and buy the Heater Shield from the Male Undead Merchant. Weighs the same as the Target Shield, but has 100% block and decent resists.

The Bandit's Knife is actually a decent weapon, you just have to remember that it's somewhat balanced with the lovely base damage by the largest critical multiplier and the bleed effect. If you can land three to four slashes on something, it's going to take a lot of bleeding damage, and a backstab will one-shot any normal enemies until the Baldur Knights in the Parish.

In addition, the wanderer's scimitar is awesome for a starting weapon. It does everything except kick rear end though, since it's kick animation is removed. :(

Also, at that point in time you should be able to obtain and wield the winged spear as well. Really good weapon, both 1-handed and 2-handed.

Sumadartson fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 13, 2011

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Sumadartson posted:

Also, at that point in time you should be able to obtain and wield the winged spear as well. Really good weapon, both 1-handed and 2-handed.

Yeah, the winged spear is a great weapon, and you can get it as soon as you get to firelink via a suicide run through the graveyard.

Or you could kill the undead merchant and get the uchigatana.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So how much of a speed difference does Dex ad to casting? I never even knew Dex effected casting speed until I saw it in this thread. Maybe it would make it not suck balls, so I can actually cast spells during combat instead of just for a mob pull...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

NuckmasterJ posted:

So how much of a speed difference does Dex ad to casting? I never even knew Dex effected casting speed until I saw it in this thread. Maybe it would make it not suck balls, so I can actually cast spells during combat instead of just for a mob pull...

45 Dex takes about half a second off your spellcasting time, and is also the cap.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow that's not much to work with. No points in dex then!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just fought an invader in the Burg, and it was really weird. He was swinging a knife, but the weapon seemed a lot longer than the model would suggest - blows were glancing off my shield when he was swing at the air in front of me. A bit of longsword turtling did him in though - just a swing or two at a time, and delocking to make sure his roll backstabs wouldn't take.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I think the range on the knives is just a little longer than the actual model itself, at least as far as I can tell from using one!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

a foolish pianist posted:

I just fought an invader in the Burg, and it was really weird. He was swinging a knife, but the weapon seemed a lot longer than the model would suggest - blows were glancing off my shield when he was swing at the air in front of me. A bit of longsword turtling did him in though - just a swing or two at a time, and delocking to make sure his roll backstabs wouldn't take.

Sounds like Weird Lag Bullshit to me. I've experienced a lot of WLB lately, such as Backstabs From A Mile Away (BAFAMA).

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
RE Dex:

I don't think you should to limit yourself to just small and fast weapons. Anything with C scaling or better works well. My Halberd+10 absolutely outdamages a lightning halberd at 22 dex. It all depends on if you actually are going to invest points in a stat for scaling, or if you want to just have minimum stats to use the weapon.

If you are going to go with little tiny weapons, you're going to have to rely on bleed. Try longswords, halberds, lucernes, silver knight straight sword, silver knight spear, etc. Just because you want to roll a "Dex build" does not mean that you have to limit yourself to weapons that cause no damage. It's just not viable. More dex = more scaling damage; more base damage + more scaling damage = win. Don't believe me? Try it!

Also, the kind of armor you wear is more impacted by endurance than dex. There's no reason at all that you can't wear heavy armor and use dex scaling weapons; you just have to have the proper endurance. An advantage to NOT weilding 16 pound weapons is that you can use a 6 pound weapon and add that 10 pounds of saved weight to your armor and keep a lower load/capacity ratio and get better poise.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Eej posted:

Uchigatana and Iato are both A scaling at +15 while the Washing Pole is some kinda dorky D/D that graduates to C/C.

I worded that poorly. What I meant to say is the dex that I need for a Katana to be an effective damaging weapon, would it be a good idea to invest into dex and if I were where does the damage tapper off?

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 13, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NuckmasterJ posted:

Wow that's not much to work with. No points in dex then!
The best spells have very fast cast times too anyway. I'm pretty sure the speed increase isn't flat anyway, so you'll probably see even less of an effect on the good spells.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Mostly done with my Dex/Int build...

...By the way, playing the game with only 10 vitality just so you can have access to all your toys sooner sure is a thrilling way to play. I highly recommend it!

10 Vitality? Are you mad?

By which I mean, you wasted two perfectly good points in vitality! (assuming you started as a sorcerer)

My 50 Int mage does ridiculous damage too which is awesome. Currently rocking a +5 Moonlight Greatsword and +5 Enchanted Estoc for turtling (considering my stamina bar is longer than my health bar).

By using Dusk Crown (+20%), Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring (+50%?), and Power Within (+40%ish), my Crystal Soul Spear was doing around 1800 damage.

This makes me want to take the dangerous die instantly/do great damage model two steps further by adding the Red Tearstone Ring (+50%) and the Crystallization Catalyst (adds some amount of damage, I'll guess 25% for now until I have actual numbers).

With this setup, you have a ten second window (in between the Redstone kicking in and Power Within killing you) to cast spells with something like a 185% damage boost. Assuming proper timing with a Crystal Soul Spear and Crystal Homing Soul Mass at the same time I wonder how damage that would do...

...I need to do this for science!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Zain posted:

I worded that poorly. What I meant to say is the dex that I need for a Katana to be an effective damaging weapon, would it be a good idea to invest into dex and if I were where does the damage tapper off?

All stat scaling drops off dramatically at 40. After 50 I think you get an extra 1 damage for each point even if you get that. If you want to invest heavily in a physical stat I recommend finding a weapon with B or higher scaling. C is acceptable I suppose but not worth investing heavily in strength or dexterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

buzzsaw.gif posted:

:words:Dex!:words:

To add my own two cents onto this, don't forget that the Great Scythe is also a fantastic weapon to use if you're a Dex build. It has an incredibly long range, good attack power, scales great with Dex, has a relatively fast attack speed (comparable to a Greatsword like the Claymore) and includes very versatile moveset between 1-Handed and 2-Handed styles. It also laughs at shields if you're into PvP. Dex builds can also rock a +15 Balder Side Sword, which is one of the more long-reaching and damaging Longswords in the game.

Don't forget that Rapiers have a bonus coefficient to backstabs and ripostes as well. A Crystal Weapon Estoc or Rapier can gently caress people up surprisingly well.

• Locked thread