Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
srb
Jul 24, 2007
The item burden isn't that big of a deal for most of the game. Sure, it's a bit annoying, but there's much less equipable stuff with weight to pick up than there is in Dark Souls, like all the armour sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Alright, back to the Hellkite. Basically just stalling so I can avoid dying to O&S for another hour.

You can't do the glitch where you one-arrow its back anymore. You can't sit under the bridge and peg its head with arrows, because it'll eventually fold its wings and heal a few thousand points of health (which is complete and utter bullshit since there's nothing you can do to stop it and you'll never do more damage than its healing), you can't stand on the stairs and do that, because it'll heal - y'know, on the off-chance that it doesn't just go back and forth, breathing fire and giving you no openings - you can't fight it melee unless you get ungodly lucky, because every single melee attempt I've had involves it either just jumping up and one-shotting me, or fire-racing back and forth along the bridge.

There's no time to get in and hit it. Even if you convert a tower shield to be 100% fire resistant, it still moves and attacks so fast that you never have a chance to get in and hit it. Not unless you want to take the full brunt of the attack, anyway.

What, is the strategy to farm 99 Humanity, wait in the alcove, get one hit in on its leg, run down the stairs until it flies back up, and pray to whatever god you believe in that it doesn't heal itself back to full health?

If you can't kill the fucker with arrows, I'm at a loss for how to take it out at all. If it didn't heal, no problem, just sit and plink away at it. I had it down to a fourth of its health when boom, wings came in and it was back at full HP, even with me continuously peppering it the entire time. Is it timed? Does it always heal when it hits a certain point if you aren't just standing out in the open like a retard, baiting it to come and get you?

I thought it was only supposed to heal if you fled the battle, but no, I tried waiting in the alcove and after getting in a few completely useless hits on its feet as it landed, it still goes up and heals. So how do you beat it? It's not a matter of what it drops, because I know it doesn't drop much at all. It's just a giant thorn in my side and I'd like to take it out.

Strategies? Should I wait until I get the Dragonslayer bow? How much damage does that thing even do? I know the arrows are expensive as hell, but I've never checked the damage on either.

Dude, SHUT THE gently caress UP. You're making GBS threads up this thread with your constant complaints. If you're going to ask for advice, do it without whining like a rusty oval office.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just block him broseph. That's what I did and the threads better for it. Except when someone quotes him.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Thanks, saving that sumbitch!

quote:

It still makes me happy when I invade someone in the forest and we start things off by waving to each other. Jolly good competition.
I got summoned the other night in the forest. When I dropped in the host and a forest guy were having a fistfight, so I just stood by and cheered them on. Then another forest guy dropped in and killed the host in about half a second. :smith:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Alright, I just got to the second bonfire in Blighttown. Should I head straight to the boss, or is there something else I should do first?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

Alright, I just got to the second bonfire in Blighttown. Should I head straight to the boss, or is there something else I should do first?

Head straight to the boss. There's some items you can collect in the surrounding area, but as far as I remember nothing unique/noteworthy and a totally optional area that has good rewards, but you'll want to come back to that later in the game.

There's an NPC phantom that can invade you a little outside that bonfire, and she can also help you in the upcoming boss fight, so go to human form if you're not already.

Also don't attack the egg carrying people.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So yeah, is there a huge difference between Sunlight Blade and Darkmoon Blade? :shobon:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Umberger posted:

Head straight to the boss. There's some items you can collect in the surrounding area, but as far as I remember nothing unique/noteworthy and a totally optional area that has good rewards, but you'll want to come back to that later in the game.

There's an NPC phantom that can invade you a little outside that bonfire, and she can also help you in the upcoming boss fight, so go to human form if you're not already.

Also don't attack the egg carrying people.

The three in front of her lair? I did, they were fun. Holding the rocks?

EDIT:: Oh, those

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I need two more boss phantom assists to get my faith needed to a level I can join the Sunbro covenant. Will I be able to find someone to help at SL99 or should I just wait until another playthrough to get the miracles from the covenant and the achievement for the covenant?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

So yeah, is there a huge difference between Sunlight Blade and Darkmoon Blade? :shobon:

Darkmoon Blade has a slightly higher scaling effect, and it increases with your rank in the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Umberger posted:

Darkmoon Blade has a slightly higher scaling effect, and it increases with your rank in the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant.

Do you suppose it'd make enough of a difference for me to stay with the Darkmoonies instead of the Sunbros and maybe kill Solaire for his talisman?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do you suppose it'd make enough of a difference for me to stay with the Darkmoonies instead of the Sunbros and maybe kill Solaire for his talisman?

Darkmoon +1 (which is required for the Miracle) gets you a talisman that is better than that one. Also apparently Sunlight Blade also applies Lightning to your weapon whereas Darkmoon is Magic.

e: Read some nerd math on DMB here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/47643298

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Umberger posted:

Darkmoon +1 (which is required for the Miracle) gets you a talisman that is better than that one. Also apparently Sunlight Blade also applies Lightning to your weapon whereas Darkmoon is Magic.

e: Read some nerd math on DMB here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/47643298

Yeah, I was kinda weighing that in the back of my head, like how many things have magic resist versus lightning resist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, I've not run into a Covenant in-game, but I feel like this is a mucho grande super-important big time stylee thing I should get involved in ASAP. What should be the one I should go for and where is it if I'm a Sorceror constantly focused on getting more and better magic? (so basically an Intelligence and Attunement-focused build)

Also, I've stockpiled a couple of these fancy boss souls, and I gather I'm coming close to the guy that can actually make stuff from them. Is there anything there that the aforementioned magic-focused Sorceror could benefit from?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr E posted:

I need two more boss phantom assists to get my faith needed to a level I can join the Sunbro covenant. Will I be able to find someone to help at SL99 or should I just wait until another playthrough to get the miracles from the covenant and the achievement for the covenant?

Praise the sun!! :sun:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cleretic posted:

So, I've not run into a Covenant in-game, but I feel like this is a mucho grande super-important big time stylee thing I should get involved in ASAP. What should be the one I should go for and where is it if I'm a Sorceror constantly focused on getting more and better magic? (so basically an Intelligence and Attunement-focused build)

There's not really a covenant for that, sadly. The dragon covenant comes with a pretty cool thing where you get to turn your head into a loving fire-breathing dragon head, so there's that.

Cleretic posted:

Also, I've stockpiled a couple of these fancy boss souls, and I gather I'm coming close to the guy that can actually make stuff from them. Is there anything there that the aforementioned magic-focused Sorceror could benefit from?

The spear you can make from the Moonlight Butterfly's soul is, by all accounts, really great. Also, as a side note you may want to cast Magic Weapon on Normal-path weapons instead of upgrading to Magic or Enchanted, in line with the recommendations to use Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade on Normal weapons. But that might also be a terrible idea because I don't know Magic Weapon's math at all.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 27, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

But that might also be a terrible idea because I don't know Magic Weapon's math at all.

Magic Weapon is useful. Crystal Magic Weapon is amazingly useful.

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't really matter which Covenant you join as a Sorceror. Join whichever one fits your focus.

As Lizard said, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn is okay, but not too long after that you can get the Moonlight Greatsword from cutting off a boss' tail which is the weapon I used from when I got it all the way to NG++. The boss soul weapons are mostly for their looks, none of them are really all that great.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I was going to make a long post about each covenant and what they do but then I decided to just shorten it and make it easier to read (and type!).

If you want to assist other players, join Warriors of Sunlight.

If you want to kill other players, join Darkwraiths/Darkmoon Blades/Forest Hunters. Out of those I feel Darkwraiths are the best option.

The others are not worth mentioning as they either don't really do anything or are poorly implemented.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Praise the sun!! :sun:

Thanks very much for that!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Umberger posted:

Magic Weapon is useful. Crystal Magic Weapon is amazingly useful.

Doesn't really matter which Covenant you join as a Sorceror. Join whichever one fits your focus.

As Lizard said, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn is okay, but not too long after that you can get the Moonlight Greatsword from cutting off a boss' tail which is the weapon I used from when I got it all the way to NG++. The boss soul weapons are mostly for their looks, none of them are really all that great.

All these Covenants are kinda garbage for me, because I rarely ever have humanity to actually participate in co-op or PvP. Whenever I try I usually get ganked pretty easy by something I haven't seen before. Last time it was someone that I almost killed before getting blown apart by some kind of lightning greatsword thing.

I'll keep the Horn in mind, a spear sounds good. I probably can't use a greatsword worth a drat because my Strength is like, 10, maybe next game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cleretic posted:

All these Covenants are kinda garbage for me, because I rarely ever have humanity to actually participate in co-op or PvP. Whenever I try I usually get ganked pretty easy by something I haven't seen before. Last time it was someone that I almost killed before getting blown apart by some kind of lightning greatsword thing.

I'll keep the Horn in mind, a spear sounds good. I probably can't use a greatsword worth a drat because my Strength is like, 10, maybe next game.

Actually, assisting can be done as a human or a phantom, and successfully killing a boss while assisting gets you humanity.

:sun:THE MORE YOU BRO:sun:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I ran into Sif for the first time today, though I could say he ran into me

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, assisting can be done as a human or a phantom, and successfully killing a boss while assisting gets you humanity.

:sun:THE MORE YOU BRO:sun:

This is also the best way to train yourself how to survive against a boss and the enemies nearby. The shame of dying to a common mob after someone bothered to summon you should be enough motivation to get you going.

e: I think you mentioned you were doing a Sorcerer build: get thee to the Duke's Archive once you know where that is and also it is unlocked for you. The boss there has a tail that is in my opinion the best Int weapon in the game.

signalnoise posted:

I ran into Sif for the first time today, though I could say he ran into me

Sif is a lady wolf I think, not that it matters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 27, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ChibiSoma posted:

Stuff

Please stop calling fights literally impossible. Most of the people in this thread have beaten the fights you are talking about, in both NG and NG+. The Hellkite is a lot harder in NG+ but again, it's beatable. An easy strategy in NG is to take that DKGA and do the R2 attack while standing underneath it. Make sure you're wearing the fire stoneplate ring and have high poise.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Isn't that a PvP faction? I always feel bad to do that to people.
And I looked at the miracles and they look pretty meh most of them, especially since I just came from a pretty heavy pyromancy build. How do they expect me to fight with this stuff?

Get Great Lightning Spear, never look back.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I got so close to getting Gwyn down, I think he had around 1/8 of his life left as I somehow got two lucky parries in early on. But I rolled backwards to dodge his grab and he managed to grab and explode me anyway. Now I can't seem to get the timing down on his attacks now. A BK Shield finally dropped, so I got that up to +4, and I'm rocking Havel's gear, with Ring of Favor and Havel's ring equipped. I can't decide if its better to use a Stamina Grass to boost stamina regen, or use Flash Sweat to knock the fire damage down a little.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I got so close to getting Gwyn down, I think he had around 1/8 of his life left as I somehow got two lucky parries in early on. But I rolled backwards to dodge his grab and he managed to grab and explode me anyway. Now I can't seem to get the timing down on his attacks now. A BK Shield finally dropped, so I got that up to +4, and I'm rocking Havel's gear, with Ring of Favor and Havel's ring equipped. I can't decide if its better to use a Stamina Grass to boost stamina regen, or use Flash Sweat to knock the fire damage down a little.

Why not use both? You can stack buffs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kongming posted:

Why not use both? You can stack buffs.

When I used the grass before entering and went to use Flash Sweat, the guy just look at his hand and shrugged. When the grass effect went away, I could use the pyromancy again.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Odd. Grass usually stacks with other buffs. My mistake then.

Edit: Oh duh, I guess you can only have one buff from items/spells at a time, I'm thinking of stacking grass with passive regen buffs from armor/weapons.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 27, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I know different bosses hit different players in different ways, but the Gwyn fight was so easy for my DEX character. I had the crest shield up to +10, the ring that increases fire defense, and my trusty Uchi +15. I died once, because I tried to go for a strike when I shouldn't have and got slaughtered. The second time he barely touched me, even with his fire damage leaking through my block.

Edit: I'm watching this EpicNameBro dude's lore video, and wondering where he's getting his videos from. Seems like I haven't seen quite a bit of it in game. Were there are a lot of trailers featuring footage that weren't in the game, or is he just painstakingly putting it together?

EC fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2012

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Wait there's a loving customize feature for character creation?

Edit: Haha oh god its so awful.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 27, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, I just took part in some co-op.

I don't know why I didn't before, this is so much goddamn fun! Helped a paladin through to the second Anor Londo bonfire, where we picked up a third guy, and then we just went around breaking furniture, stabbing chests and killing dudes until a fourth, thief-y player turned up, hostile this time, and backstabbed us all.

I need to do this so much more often!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Rough Lobster posted:

Are those miracles worth using? I've never tried them and my one character uses offensive miracles a ton. Are they any good for PVP?

They're great in some situations because they hit a decent area around you and do pretty good damage, but their casting time is just ridiculous so I don't use them unless I'm sure I'll get it off before something retaliates. For PVP I would say they're a no-no unless, for example, you're assisting someone and can use a moment's distraction to huss up and blast them (possibly off a cliff) with it. It's sort of like a miracle version of firestorm in that respect.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I didn't before, this is so much goddamn fun! Helped a paladin through to the second Anor Londo bonfire, where we picked up a third guy, and then we just went around breaking furniture, stabbing chests and killing dudes until a fourth, thief-y player turned up, hostile this time, and backstabbed us all.

The best part is when people start being dicks to invaders/people they are invading after they kill them.

I either spam one of the gestures or two-hand my weapon and tap LB repeatedly. If anybody kills me and does that it makes me laugh and I'm ok with dying. :allears:

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The best part is when people start being dicks to invaders/people they are invading after they kill them.

I either spam one of the gestures or two-hand my weapon and tap LB repeatedly. If anybody kills me and does that it makes me laugh and I'm ok with dying. :allears:

The Hurrah gesture has your character jump into the air with a kick of triumph, but by repeatedly starting the animation you can do a pretty convincing calisthenics routine. My brother and I were doing this before Gaping Dragon while waiting on a summon. Hopefully, it was perplexing to our white ghostly friend.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The only time I have been invaded, he came up with his shield and stopped like 10 feet from my dude. We stood there for a minute, and I tried to do the wave animation.

I accidentally hit the "Come at me, bro!" animation, though. He killed me before I finished, and did the same thing at the screen after I died.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Oh no... did I gently caress up?
I said no to Alvina and now she's all BE GONE every time I try to talk to her.

I need the ninja flip ring :ohdear:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

washow posted:

Oh no... did I gently caress up?
I said no to Alvina and now she's all BE GONE every time I try to talk to her.

I need the ninja flip ring :ohdear:

If she hasn't disappeared, you can just visit Oswald in the bell tower

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

If she hasn't disappeared, you can just visit Oswald in the bell tower

Saying "no" is a sin? What a world!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EC posted:

Edit: I'm watching this EpicNameBro dude's lore video, and wondering where he's getting his videos from. Seems like I haven't seen quite a bit of it in game. Were there are a lot of trailers featuring footage that weren't in the game, or is he just painstakingly putting it together?

It looks like he has turned the UI off (you can do this in the options) and may be using the binoculars to zoom in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The real Dark Souls starts here...

• Locked thread