Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

icecastle posted:

So I haven't played this game in a while, is it still best to only put enough points into dexterity and strength to wield weapons, then dump the rest into vitality and endurance?

Pretty much. They improved the scaling on weapons, but as far as I know the cutoff at 40 is still incredibly harsh. I think someone said a few pages back that at 40 Strength you have 85% of the scaling that a character at 99 Strength has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any npc's I can summon for the Seath fight? My internet's being slow as gently caress so it'll be about fourty minutes before I can try and find a real person.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Len posted:

Are there any npc's I can summon for the Seath fight? My internet's being slow as gently caress so it'll be about fourty minutes before I can try and find a real person.

Nope. Good luck!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Read posted:

Nope. Good luck!

drat. Not what I wanted to hear. I can do ok until he puts me on the defensive I'm right hosed. Havel's armor is so incredibly slow I can't dodge for poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

drat. Not what I wanted to hear. I can do ok until he puts me on the defensive I'm right hosed. Havel's armor is so incredibly slow I can't dodge for poo poo.

So use lighter armor. I found Paladin's pretty nice for this (if you have it) since it has alright defense/weight but also gets a ton of curse resist.

Don't get too reliant on a single set, not all bosses are easy to tank with heavy armor (although I'd say the game does favor that route in general).

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Try switching to medium grade armour. The only thing you really need to worry about are the crystals, and as long as you know his attack patterns you can avoid those just fine.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Dark Grain Wood Ring and Havel Ring?

If Poise is what's important, should I just use the Wolf Ring and one of those two rings instead of heavy armor?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Use the curse bite ring and the whatever ring it is that let's you dodge faster. Toss on the grass crest shield, your favorite smashy thing, and your favorite armor. (I used the paladin armor in this fight and had no problems. Hell, my curse resistance was so high I could stand in his curse spikes and not have the curse meter build up at all.)

Tell us the trip report later. Alternatively, if you still have the iron golem soul, make the golem axe and throw wind at seath the whole fight.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shab posted:

As a SL62 pyro mostly concerned with melee (28 str, 16 dex) about to go up against Ornstein and Smough using a shield and a lightning spear, what would be a good weapon to switch/upgrade to? I'm not a fan of how spears play; I'd like to go back to a sword, but I have no idea what's good and available to me right now.

With stats like that probably a zweihander and later the black knight great axe. I'd suggest leaving your strength at 36 and dex at 18 with that in mind, and working on your endurance and vitality a bit instead.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started trying to get the paladin armor. I think I'll just wait for the drat thing to update.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I found Seath to be one of the easiest bosses If you basically don't lock on to him and try to damage him near the right tentacle (when you are facing him). I simply moved to the right far enough so that he would face you, but not too far where he will try to stomp you with his tails.

It's all because I didn't wear heavy armor. I had way more trouble the first time with Havel's armor. I took way too much time being on the defensive and being forced to block most of his curse-ridden crystals. Below 50% equip load I was able to control the fight from the very beginning.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Fargin Icehole posted:

I found Seath to be one of the easiest bosses If you basically don't lock on to him and try to damage him near the right tentacle (when you are facing him). I simply moved to the right far enough so that he would face you, but not too far where he will try to stomp you with his tails.

It's all because I didn't wear heavy armor. I had way more trouble the first time with Havel's armor. I took way too much time being on the defensive and being forced to block most of his curse-ridden crystals. Below 50% equip load I was able to control the fight from the very beginning.

This. You can avoid being hit at all just by continually running toward one of his tentacles and slashing at it. He'll keep spinning to face you and his crystal attacks will always be out of range. Long as you don't go past the tentacle he won't do his rage smash attack.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Help my build my SL1 invader!

I need advice on shield and armor for a guy wielding either a hand axe (2.0) or a reinforced club/battle axe (each 4.0) and staying under 25% weight (at 11 END that means under 51 12 total weight without a Havel's or FaP ring). Obviously lightning +5.

I'm thinking Bloodshield (3.0) for the resistance bonuses, which leaves me at least 44 weight to play with if I right-hand-second my flame with dual Great Combustion spells. Maxing out the Pyromancer set (7.0) seems like a solid track, leaves me at 27 out of 51 though, so I'd have to swap one piece for something lighter. However, if I give up a ring slot to Havel's or FaP I can take even more armor, opening the possibility of poise, but this is where my :spergin: breaks down.

Any ideas?

Chard fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 15, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Anybody got a spare claw fist weapon? I just realized I'm locked out of it ever since I, justifiably, murdered the entirety of the forest covenant.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Fibby Boy posted:

Anybody got a spare claw fist weapon? I just realized I'm locked out of it ever since I, justifiably, murdered the entirety of the forest covenant.

I looked at it's stats... +300 for bleeding. What's the best bleed weapon?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

I looked at it's stats... +300 for bleeding. What's the best bleed weapon?

Life-hunt Scythe. +500 for bleeding. But it builds up your own bleed meter.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I got my first cheater! I hit him with 4 shots of the Greatsword of Artorias (usually does somewhere between 400-600 damage a pop) and did literally no damage.

Yeah...no.

e: Holy crap you can parry (but not stab) allies you summon :stare:. Discovered this dicking around with a dude I summoned while waiting for invaders.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 15, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Alright, which way do I roll to get out of that jab attack the ceaseless discharge does? Or am I expected to just eat it each time? Cause if so, I'm gonna need some help killing the bastard on my assassin.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Alright, which way do I roll to get out of that jab attack the ceaseless discharge does? Or am I expected to just eat it each time? Cause if so, I'm gonna need some help killing the bastard on my assassin.

Is there any reason you're killing him properly instead of running away and slashing at his hand so he falls into the lava? 'Cause if so, I messed up again.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

Is there any reason you're killing him properly instead of running away and slashing at his hand so he falls into the lava? 'Cause if so, I messed up again.

Wait, what?

Edit: Got him the normal way. Hooray bleed!

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 15, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Fibby Boy posted:

Wait, what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAQSc_lICI

Merry christmas

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Wait, what?

Next time you play through this part, when you get CD angry at you, run for the fog door. Defend yourself from there. Watch what happens. You'll know when you can attack safely.

From what I've been told, if you've died to him once already you're stuck fighting him the normal way. Best of luck.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Wait, what?

Run to where the armor was, then run back to the fog gate. He'll follow you. Slash at his hand. Doesn't matter what you use, I don't think. I used a Drake Sword.

I gotta stop looking up walkthroughs. It takes the fun out of it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAQSc_lICI

Merry christmas

:stare:
I had no idea this was possible. I didn't even know he attacked that way! I've only ever had him use his jab+fire attack on me. Holy poo poo this game.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Chard posted:

Help my build my SL1 invader!

On my SL1 invader I use this:

Ring of Favour and the Wolf Ring.

Gargoyle Helm, Black Sorcerer Robes + Gloves and Hollow Soldier Waistcloth

Reinforced Club and Crass Crest Shield. Also has Pyromancy Hand.

Enjoy 55 poise whilst being under 25% equip load.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hm, I hadn't considered the Wolf Ring because until now even my lowest level dude had enough END to burly around in at least partial Havel's, but I like it. Going to give something like that a try tomorrow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My first indictment and my first Darkmoon kill! :toot: Guy did not know how to handle me waiting for him at the end of the bridge. I almost managed to push him off the end but he somehow switched places with me.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Goggle Fox posted:

From what I've been told, if you've died to him once already you're stuck fighting him the normal way. Best of luck.

Not quite, but you do have to reset him by running back to where the gold hemmed set is at the back of his area and let him take a swing at you before pulling back to the fog door, otherwise he will just fireblast you at range

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Len posted:

I just did Seath a minute ago on 3 estus and 30 arrows. I used the silent movement ring and just constantly stayed at a good distance, pummeling him with arrows every time he paused to do a breath attack. He never used his huge AoE since I was never in melee, and the only dangers were a tail tantrum when I was running behind him. I used Pharis Bow +10, but a crossbow with thunderbolts would probably work better.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay people, I need advice for how to properly Darkwraith. My win/loss ratio is terrible, and all of my wins have been as a result of the arena being on my side. Which is great fun, but not necessarily reliable.

My Catarina armor is doing me well enough for now, but I've not yet been able to get the Endurance to upgrade to a greatshield. I'm built for Strength and Endurance largely, and up until now have been wielding a Lightning Zweihander, although I feel like at this point it's not doing the damage I'd like it to against other players for being as slow as it is, the speed of the swings really just being too slow to hit most players unless I'm doing something wrong.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I used to use the Lightning Zwei, but have since switched to either a Fire Claymore +10 or a Lightning Uchi +5, and have had much greater success in PvP.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

I used to use the Lightning Zwei, but have since switched to either a Fire Claymore +10 or a Lightning Uchi +5, and have had much greater success in PvP.
Is there a way to get the red chunks I need to upgrade my fire claymore further without advancing?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Red chunks are farmable from the centipedes in Demon Ruins and the second black knight in the Kiln.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Umberger posted:

Zweihander, Claymore, Hand Axe, one of the various forms of Clubs. Alternatively go pump up your Pyromancy Flame and/or get some of the higher tier spells.

e: vvv Demon Great Machete is going to be quite a trek if he doesn't have the Lordvessel. I don't know of any Capra Demons other than the ones in Demon Ruins after Ceaseless Discharge.

Shiva sells it, you can actually get it before the gargoyles if you want to

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

Red chunks are farmable from the centipedes in Demon Ruins and the second black knight in the Kiln.
... ugh, those loving centipedes. Guess I'll go there when I get bored in the Painted World.

I don't have access to the Kiln.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

You could always just go with lightning, since regular titanite chunks drop much more frequently.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Read posted:

They intentionally don't explain things to you, to encourage the game to develop a community around helping eachother figure it all out.

Doesn't that only really work for the first month or so at release? People just look up wikis after that, and any communication is minimal. I don't think the game would be lessened if they eased the player more into the start, it doesn't mean it has to become easier or dumbed down all the way through.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

NoneSuch posted:

Doesn't that only really work for the first month or so at release? People just look up wikis after that, and any communication is minimal. I don't think the game would be lessened if they eased the player more into the start, it doesn't mean it has to become easier or dumbed down all the way through.

He says in a thread with 1150 pages of discussion.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You've got a point there. I'm still not too bothered about them appealing to a wider audience, I don't think that necessarily means making the games easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So with Solare's help I beat Ornstein and Smough on my 2nd try, this time Solare was tanking Ornstein while I took out Smough so I faced down Super Ornstein.
Poor Solare didn't last very long but I still beat him and now I have the Lordvessel.

Off to the Dukes Archives I go.

• Locked thread