Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2236 »
ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

I do like the part of Demon Ruins where you fight Capra and Taurus Demons as regular enemies - it really showed how far you'd come as a player. gently caress those little stone fire-breather guys though. They're no fun to fight and just take up time when you're on your way to your inevitable 10493th retry of Bed of Chaos/Demon Firesage.

I think that depends on the type of damage you're weapon does. Blunt (strike I think it is?) really destroys those guys. Infact that type of damage seems to be good against all the enemies which are usually sponges, such as those stone knight guys. My Large Club was 1 hitting all of those enemies, as was my Lightning Reinforced Club I think. That said the ones before Bed of Chaos can all be skipped though, just run past them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's just the design because those are some ugly sons of bitches. The sound you make when you hit them is mildly unpleasant as well. At least the area isn't just filled with the acid spitting octo-demon things.

Not Dracula
Jan 2, 2006

I didn't know...

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah, my main disappointment with Dark Souls is that the areas post-Lordvessel are all kinda short and weakly designed in comparison with the rest of the game. The difficulty in Demon Ruins, Izalith, Ash Lake, etc. seems to be more 'HAHAHAHA GOTCHA BITCH' than the gradual and fair development the rest of the game has.

See, I don't know. By that point in the game, there isn't really anything else they could throw at you that you aren't used to. I liked their progression of gimmicks in that the game slowly pushes you to do Dukes Archives > Catacombs > Izalith.

By the time you get to Izalith you're almost unstoppable so all that the designers could do is offer a really pain in the rear end zone filled with enough of a gap between things that you're almost guaranteed to be invaded if you want to bring friends.

Hate the tree boss but again, I think by that time the game is trying to throw actual people at you.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

ivantod posted:

To be honest, to me New Londo more or less feels like a 'normal' part of the game, and is probably the favourite of mine of all four lord soul areas. I would rank them this way in order of preference

1. New Londo
2. Tomb of Giants (it's really not that bad and darkness problem can be solved in at least 3 different ways)
3. Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave (kind of meh.)
4. Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith (Yeah it's pretty bad. Starting with the three bosses in a row thing in Demon' Ruins and it just gets worse from there).

It's funny, because my list is the literal opposite of yours. I hate NL beyond all measure of reason, hate ToG, liked CC/tolerated DA, but loved LI/DR.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

None of the levels bothered me at all but anytime I had to walk on a narrow pathway or jump can suck dicks so I guess upper blighttown and aldor lando can go right to hell.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

The only area that's bugged me so far is Blighttown, and now that I've been through it on four or five characters the only thing that really bugs me about it is the framerate. The draw distance was annoying for a while until I mapped out the area in my head but I still don't have an exact idea of Blighttown because on a lot of my characters I tend to want to burn through there as quickly as possible and never come back.

I still haven't been to Bed of Chaos or New Londo or the Catacombs. But I've done everything before the golden fog door in Demons Ruins and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's kind of a boring area aesthetically, but I liked fighting the taurus and capra demons and realizing how much my character had progressed. Ceaseless Discharge was kind of a cool boss, too, just for a change of pace.

The progression from Undead Burg down into the Depths, Blighttown and then Queelaag's lair and the Demon Ruins is really very cool. The atmosphere gets darker and more oppressive and it really feels like you're fighting your way into hell.

I'm a little anxious about the next few areas of the game, as from what I've heard the best is kind of over with Anor Londo, but I've really liked what I've seen so far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel the game falls apart a little after Anor Londo. They're either gimmicky or plain poorly thought out.

I really don't like Blighttown, but you can skip basically the entire thing so it's not that bad.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

Schlegel Mach posted:

Are you suggesting that the poison swamp with poison inflicting enemies, the sewer level, and the trap fortress with a single bonfire are not dumb gimmicks?

Honestly, no, they didn't really bother me, I just saw them as a natural progression of the difficulty, especially the fortress, I initially hated it but grew to love it.

I guess you could New Londo and the Tomb of the Giants where relatively straightforward outside of the be cursed/darkness gimmick, I just didn't enjoy them that much.

Demons/Izalith has been spoken off at length, Dukes and crystals where just annoying, the mobs in dukes where insane and I hated the respawning channelers in annoying positions, the cave was just invisible paths, not difficult but I could have done without them.

Then the final boss was just disappointing as hell.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wait people dont like the Ash lake? I loved that area. Climbing down a massive tree filled with annoying mushroom people then walking out to find find myself on a sandbar in the middle of a lake in an underground cavern so huge it has its own weather with a hydra in the middle felt like something out of old epic.

The Duke
May 18, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Sen's Fortress is one of the best designed levels in any game, in my opinion.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Wait people dont like the Ash lake? I loved that area. Climbing down a massive tree filled with annoying mushroom people then walking out to find find myself on a sandbar in the middle of a lake in an underground cavern so huge it has its own weather with a hydra in the middle felt like something out of old epic.

I loved Ash Lake, it was so serene and trippy, I wish it was bigger actually.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

I don't really understand all of the hate for post-anor londo areas. Painted World is one of my favorite areas in the game. Sif is a kind of fun boss until you realize how easy it is. DR/Lost Izalith is short, easy, and gives you a ton of souls because there are four bosses. Duke's Archive is really neat, but too short. Crystal Caves isn't very neat but it takes about 60 seconds to run all the way to the clams once you know where the invisible platforms are. I always thought New Londo and Valley of the Drakes were pretty neat, the ghosts are bullshit if you don't have a Transient Curse or two, but with a CGSR you can farm far more curses than you use.

I really don't like Tomb of the Giants but at least you can skip nearly every single enemy during the annoying part of it. Catacombs is a fun place to pvp.

I feel like for the most part the "big four" areas after Anor Londo aren't quite as cool as the rest of the game (with the exception of Duke's), but they're not particularly bad, and they're all very short and quite easy.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Agean90 posted:

Ash Lake is an amazing zone. The only real problem with it is that they don't do anything with it. There's a mini-boss, some items, a borked covenant, and a character story conclusion. There's no real reason to ever go down there which is a drat shame.

Imagine if the Hydra had been a completely optional actual boss!

e: An actual dragon.

Not Dracula
Jan 2, 2006

I didn't know...

The Duke posted:

Sen's Fortress is one of the best designed levels in any game, in my opinion.

I really loved the feeling I had when it opened for the first time. The whole time through felt like some sort of maddening Prince of Persia where I kept getting lightning fired at me.

Meowjesty posted:

Ash Lake is an amazing zone. The only real problem with it is that they don't do anything with it. There's a mini-boss, some items, a borked covenant, and a character story conclusion. There's no real reason to ever go down there which is a drat shame.

Imagine if the Hydra had been a completely optional actual boss!

e: An actual dragon.

I wish more people were part of the Dragon Covenant. I want to fight over dragon scales.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm about SL22. I am about to fight the Gargoyles in the Undead Parish and went human for the first time, hoping someone would help me since I'm not good at this game yet and I know they can be a pain in the rear end. Just before I got to them, I saw a summon sign for Solaire, which I touched. Immediately, someone invaded and killed me in one hit while Solaire was loading, or something. I have no idea what happened. Can someone fill me in?

My GT is The Midniter and I'd love some help. Just got past that stupid dragon bridge earlier tonight and I thought I was doing well. I'm using a +4 shortsword, the shield you get after killing the undead knight at the end of that long walkway, and the armored pig thing helmet. Not gonna lie, I really am bad at this game, but trying to get better. Any advice/help?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EASY OPERATION

The Midniter posted:

Immediately, someone invaded and killed me in one hit while Solaire was loading, or something. I have no idea what happened. Can someone fill me in?
It's pretty much as you described it. Someone invaded and killed you. When you're human, others can invade your world.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cat Machine posted:

It's pretty much as you described it. Someone invaded and killed you. When you're human, others can invade your world.

I get that, I really do. However, I really had no warning whatsoever, not even a "you're getting invaded" message. Plus, Solaire was in the middle of loading when I got back and front stabbed. Sucked.

BARONS GAMES WHINER
Jun 19, 2004

Been Sunbroing as my level 16 pyramid-head dude in the parish on and off today.

There's been a guy camping the first ladder up to the gargoyles with that triple-shot crossbow and pyromancy for 5 and a half hours.

Every third or fourth dude who summons me in is being camped by that dude.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I get that, I really do. However, I really had no warning whatsoever, not even a "you're getting invaded" message. Plus, Solaire was in the middle of loading when I got back and front stabbed. Sucked.

People on poo poo connections will sometimes appear in your world well before you get the warning and before their player model even loads. You can hear them coming and they will be able to break poo poo and move corpses around, which is the only way you can tell where they are. You won't be able to hurt them until their player model loads, but they can hit you, and what's more they can't tell that they're lagging or that you can't see them.

Macksy fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 03:37

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

That new dupe bug is great, gives me a fun way to get myself indicted now - Dung Pies and Loyd's Talismans' - If they're just gonna sit behind a shield all day they better hope they brought some blooming purple moss with them or I will toxic those fuckers to death.

Midniter:

You may have been invaded by someone who is using the 'bottomless box glitch', which lets you transfer items from a developed character to a brand new one. Some good items in the game don't require very high stats, and upgrading items to say... +15 with lightning does not change the base stat requirement, so you end up with some very powerful, low level invaders running around! Also, apparently the xbox occasionally is known for hackers, but this is much more rare I hear - There is not much advice that can be given for these kinds of invasions unfortunately.

One tip is you could have actually gone through the boss door quickly, and this would have kicked the invader out of your world (invaders cannot follow you into boss fights).

If you put some points into INT (up to 14 I think) you will be able to use some low level spells which are quite useful like soul arrow - The same goes for FTH with miracles; you can get a heal spell from the guy in firelink shrine with 12 or 14 FTH, but need a talisman (if you go up the stairs to where the 2 lifts are - they'll be closed off until you kill the gargoyles - you can drop down and there will be a door behind you that leads to some chests, and there is a free talisman in one of them).

If you return to firelink shrine where you started the game and go down the set of stairs that takes you to the lady behind the bars which cannot speak, just next to her is another set of stairs going down again which goes to a lift (careful not to fall off this one). Once you go down the lift you should be in New Londo which is important a bit later in the game, but for now if you follow the stair case down and go right, you will find all the undead are ignoring you, there will be one who looks like he is sunbathing by the very side of a ledge, and next to him is another staircase. Go down this, and at the bottom is another man behind a cage! This is Rickert, and he will sell you spells and a catalyst (you can find a catalyst fairly early on but may as well buy one right now if you can afford it). This will show you the directions, sorry it isnt english but it is completely straightforward

Jaaam
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Meowjesty posted:

I dunno, I think the titanite slab is a pretty good reason to go down there.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

The only time I've come close to Ash Lake was when I just sort of bumped into the Great Hollow and started making my way down. I got cursed by the frogs while I was down there so I just let myself die, hit the bonfire, crawled all the way out to hit up the New Londo Ruins, cleaned house and got healed by that one dude for a Humanity.

I actually solo'd Queelag while I was cursed

Alabaster White
Apr 20, 2009

The only end-game area I don't care for is the Catacombs. I barely ever use Faith so any Divine weapons I use are total poo poo and the skeletons take like, 3 hits with a Divine Zweihander to kill.

In terms of Sunbro-ing, what the heck am I supposed to do with all these extra souls? My first attempt went terribly as I was somehow SL65 in Anor Londo and I never got any summons after that

Alabaster White fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 04:08

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

DS could have benefited from having multiple endings in different zones, especially with all the covenants - Like what if you wanted to bring the dragons back into power? Ash Lake would have been great for that, a huge open area for dudes flying around.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I'm about SL22. I am about to fight the Gargoyles in the Undead Parish and went human for the first time, hoping someone would help me since I'm not good at this game yet and I know they can be a pain in the rear end. Just before I got to them, I saw a summon sign for Solaire, which I touched. Immediately, someone invaded and killed me in one hit while Solaire was loading, or something. I have no idea what happened. Can someone fill me in?

Unfortunately, Bell Gargoyles is probably the worst spot in the game when it comes to dealing with low-level griefers using high-level gear. I have never seen an invader in that area that didn't have at least a lightning weapon, and I did about 40 co-op runs of it (at least) when I first got there. They really don't even need to be glitching to do it, since it's plenty possible to get all the way to the Giant Blacksmith at SL20 if they know what they're doing and what is coming up.

Your best bet is to just go back to human form and try again, hoping you don't get invaded. And as someone else mentioned, you can stop an invasion by going through the boss door, though that doesn't really help in the event that you get no warning. Humanity is incredibly easy to get just by dropping a summon sign, especially in an area like Undead Parish which is very short and has a very obvious sign location (right at the end of the bridge coming from Andre's tower and the bonfire), so even if you die in human form, you might as well just give it another go. It's probably a good idea to retrieve your bloodstain before turning human again, though.

Alabaster White posted:

In terms of Sunbro-ing, what the heck am I supposed to do with all these extra souls? My first attempt went terribly as I was somehow SL65 in Anor Londo and I never got any summons after that
For using extra souls, usually I just make completely superfluous purchases or upgrade things I rarely need or sometimes even things I may never use. The Giant Blacksmith sells fantastic upgrade materials, so if you've got souls burning a hole in your pocket, there's no reason not to just turn everything you might use someday into +10. Also, have you gone back to the witch in Blighttown and totally maxed out your pyromancy flame? That's also a very worthwhile soul sink.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 04:23

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

100% plastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfji...k&feature=g-u-u

Jaaam posted:

I dunno, I think the titanite slab is a pretty good reason to go down there.

What slab? It's not mentioned being in Ash Lake in the wiki.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Iron Golem run is rocking now. I'm now a darkmoon invading in Sen's. I'm bending the rules a ~little~ bit because I do use the Dragonslayer Greatbow from time to time...but maybe we just didn't get to see the golem use it.

Owns.

actionjackson posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfji...k&feature=g-u-u

You need to finish Onionbros storyline first.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 04:30

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EASY OPERATION

actionjackson posted:

It's a reward for following the Siegmeyer storyline to its conclusion.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

loving awesome. I just invaded a dude who had a sunbro already summoned and had just finished summoning Tarkus. I messed the sunbro up (couldn't quite finish him off before the other two came in), ALMOST killed the host then Tarkus merc'd the poo poo out of me with two hits.

He really does hate that Iron Golem.

I messaged the host saying "TARKUSSSSS" and got a "TARKUSSSSS" back. Awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Humanity is incredibly easy to get just by dropping a summon sign, especially in an area like Undead Parish which is very short and has a very obvious sign location (right at the end of the bridge coming from Andre's tower and the bonfire), so even if you die in human form, you might as well just give it another go.

Could you explain this? I have a hard time even finding humanity. Are you saying I should use the white soapstone to be summoned into other players' games, and gain humanity that way? How, by helping them kill bosses?

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

The Midniter posted:

Could you explain this? I have a hard time even finding humanity. Are you saying I should use the white soapstone to be summoned into other players' games, and gain humanity that way? How, by helping them kill bosses?

Exactly. You don't need to be human (in fact, you'll have more success if you're hollow) to get summoned into someone else's world. It's a great way to gain humanity and souls as well as experience with the boss fights.

You just need to be within 10 soul levels of the average player. So that means as level 22, you can be summoned by roughly levels 12-32. That's a decent range for the Gargoyles so you should get summoned very often.

A good place to drop your white summon sign is right at the church steps just by the stairs leading down the bonfire and Andre the blacksmith. You'll know it's the right place when the white stone becomes usable as you enter the area from the bonfire. I like to kill the 3 hollow soldiers there, drop the summon sign, then continue killing the enemies in the area while I wait to be summoned.

Reciprocator fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 12:18

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Reciprocator posted:

Exactly. You don't need to be human (in fact, you'll have more success if you're hollow) to get summoned into someone else's world. It's a great way to gain humanity and souls as well as experience with the boss fights.

You just need to be within 10 soul levels of the average player. So that means as level 22, you can be summoned by roughly levels 12-32. That's a decent range for the Gargoyles so you should get summoned very often.

A good place to drop your white summon sign is right at the church steps just by the stairs leading down the bonfire and Andre the blacksmith. You'll know it's the right place when the white stone becomes usable as you enter the area from the bonfire. I like to kill the 3 hollow soldiers there, drop the summon sign, then continue killing the enemies in the area while I wait to be summoned.

Haha awesome...so I did exactly what you said, and got summoned for the first time. As soon as it loads, I see a red phantom backstab and murder the guy who summoned me. He then proceeded to one-shot me but it had already started to kick me back to my own world so it didn't register as a death, plus I came away with one humanity!

I can see how this game can be so addictive.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I need a good divine weapon for my SL110 sorcerer. The catacombs I'm not worried about, I can pretty easily snipe the Necros and use the MLGS from there. It's those three freaking skeletons when you fight Nito that I need to be able to kill quick fast and in a hurry. I made a +10 Divine Shotel, but it takes almost 10 hits to put em down (I'm in NG++++ or something).

Any suggestions? STR is 16, DEX is 22. I've got plenty of upgrade materials and probably every weapon in the game in my BB.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

The Many Masks of Master Motivator Mankanshoku Mako

EC posted:

I need a good divine weapon for my SL110 sorcerer. The catacombs I'm not worried about, I can pretty easily snipe the Necros and use the MLGS from there. It's those three freaking skeletons when you fight Nito that I need to be able to kill quick fast and in a hurry. I made a +10 Divine Shotel, but it takes almost 10 hits to put em down (I'm in NG++++ or something).

Any suggestions? STR is 16, DEX is 22. I've got plenty of upgrade materials and probably every weapon in the game in my BB.

Divine Claymore (or psuedo-comedy option, +5 Astora's Straight Sword if you want something faster to keep your shield up).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AlternateNu posted:

Divine Claymore (or psuedo-comedy option, +5 Astora's Straight Sword if you want something faster to keep your shield up).

Not enough FTH for Astora's, but I'll check the claymore. I'm pretty sure it has mostly the same moveset as the MLGS...

Sheep-Goats
Jul 28, 2003

EC posted:

Not enough FTH for Astora's, but I'll check the claymore. I'm pretty sure it has mostly the same moveset as the MLGS...

Try a divine reinforced club. It crumbles them every time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Would it be wrong of me to ask some nice goon to drop into my game and hook me up with a decent weapon? I'm currently using a shortsword +5 but it's not cutting it against those drat gargoyles. I have to admit they're fun to fight, though. I'm SL23 and my GT is The Midniter - I should be on in about an hour, give or take, and I'm at the church I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

Also, what's a good dex/int build look like? I want to be a rogue/sorcerer type, but I don't want to waste levels on bad stats.

Finally, I swapped out the shield you get after killing the undead knight at the end of that long walkway for a wooden shield. It doesn't give 100% physical resistance but it's lighter so I can roll/move much faster. Can't believe how big a difference it makes

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sheep-Goats posted:

Try a divine reinforced club. It crumbles them every time.

Will do, thanks.

I just shot Smough out of the air as he was doing his lightning butt smash, killing him in the process. There should be an achievement for that!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Midniter posted:

Would it be wrong of me to ask some nice goon to drop into my game and hook me up with a decent weapon? I'm currently using a shortsword +5 but it's not cutting it against those drat gargoyles. I have to admit they're fun to fight, though. I'm SL23 and my GT is The Midniter - I should be on in about an hour, give or take, and I'm at the church I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

Also, what's a good dex/int build look like? I want to be a rogue/sorcerer type, but I don't want to waste levels on bad stats.

Finally, I swapped out the shield you get after killing the undead knight at the end of that long walkway for a wooden shield. It doesn't give 100% physical resistance but it's lighter so I can roll/move much faster. Can't believe how big a difference it makes

I don't think I have anyone close to 23 besides my SL1 build

Sheep-Goats has posted a really good DEX/INT build in the last 10-20 pages. Essentially you get your INT up enough to cast CMW, and take your DEX to 40. Get a good DEX scaling weapon up to +15, apply CMW, kill everything.

You can run down to Darkroot and pick up the Grass Creat shield. Not 100% physical damage reduction, but it's light and regens your stamina quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EASY OPERATION

The Winged Spear and the Drake Sword are right there in your world waiting to be collected - they're both very good weapons for newbies looking for a power weapon.

I wouldn't recommend becoming reliant on goons swinging by to give you better gear every time you get stuck on a boss (and the gargoyles are only the start of your woes). The only way you'll get better at Dark Souls is by learning to work with what you've got, and it'll be all the more satisfying when you win!

«2236 »