Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

enojy posted:

HOWEVER! My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release of Dark Souls on Monday night. For those 4 or 5 of you lolgoons who can afford to stay up until midnight and beyond on Monday, it'd be worth your time to find out if your local Gamestop is doing the same.

With Rage and NBA 2k12 (why not just call it 2012?) releasing on the same day, seems like some stores are holding a catch-all midnight release Tuesday.

My local store had a surprising amount of signage for Dark Souls. Here's hoping for the game's success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

StringOfLetters posted:

IGN rates Dark Souls a 9.0.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/30/dark-souls-video-review?objectid=86621

The biggest mark against it in their final line? "-Not for the timid."

BEWARE! Lots of spoilers in that IGN video.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

YorexTheMad posted:

With Rage and NBA 2k12 (why not just call it 2012?) releasing on the same day, seems like some stores are holding a catch-all midnight release Tuesday.

My local store had a surprising amount of signage for Dark Souls. Here's hoping for the game's success.

Yeah, midnight on mondaaaay.
Makes the next three days seem longer though

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Here's mine. http://goo.gl/7D4hZ

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This is going to be a long fuckin' weekend.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

I know it's kinda stupid to piss on good reviews, but I'm starting to get a clearer picture of why so many people call most game reviews crap. It reads like a laundry list and lady sounds like she took a bottle of valium before recording. ("Dark Souls is unmissable" :geno:) She did a lot better selling the game during the stream.

I still don't know what the links do, but if anyone can figure it out and it ends up being worthwhile (worthwhile being defined as actual, physical goods or downloads that you'd normally have to buy) I'll compile a master list and do what I can to help out and get everyone the most clicks possible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tn posted:

Do we know what the purpose of these codes are yet?

http://goo.gl/ye68T

Most likely this.

For those that don't want to click, Namco has made some pretty slick, incredibly limited statues and are going to give them away via the website. I just hope they don't decide to do the top whatever players and instead just have a random drawing for all the people that linked their FB accounts to the site. That seems a lot fairer since site functionality is complete poo poo.

And the referral probably doesn't actually do anything - it doesn't take you to any kind of signup page, and based on what I've read on the forums, the only way to really fill up that soul bar is to "play" the screenshot game on the pre-order page.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 30, 2011

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BEWARE! Lots of spoilers in that IGN video.

Very weak review, very low on content. Their major point against it is that it might be too difficult. I think I'm going to go for my second pre-order now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My local walmart is under construction right now and they actually have this on the shelf!

for ps3, and I only have an xbox right now :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, you don't actually need to read or watch the review, cause you already know everything she says in it.

Also, it has spoilers in as much as footage of the game is a spoiler, but nothing beyond that. You glimpse a few bosses, but nothing that's not already in the OP.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

tn posted:

Do we know what the purpose of these codes are yet?

To clog up this thread and keep it bumped on the first page. :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Harminoff posted:

My local walmart is under construction right now and they actually have this on the shelf!

for ps3, and I only have an xbox right now :(

It'd be useful if we knew where you are :v:.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
http://goo.gl/kgN6Y

please click mine too!

Plat on Demons souls, plat on Dark Souls (I hope!). Trying to go in blind here and I have a crunch on at work until the 15th, so I don't know how much I'll be playing, but I'll DEFINITELY be posting a lot when I do!

If you're watching streams and stuff: stop doing so. It'll ruin it for you.

edit: how do I solve the clicking puzzle?

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Most likely this.

For those that don't want to click, Namco has made some pretty slick, incredibly limited statues and are going to give them away via the website. I just hope they don't decide to do the top whatever players and instead just have a random drawing for all the people that linked their FB accounts to the site. That seems a lot fairer since site functionality is complete poo poo.

And the referral probably doesn't actually do anything - it doesn't take you to any kind of signup page, and based on what I've read on the forums, the only way to really fill up that soul bar is to "play" the screenshot game on the pre-order page.

To be more specific, people can win this stuff in the picture, not just the statues.

Stinks that the referral doesn't actually do anything though, but them's the breaks I suppose. Good luck to all you ARG-people who can wrap your head around this contest!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ornamented Death posted:

It'd be useful if we knew where you are :v:.

That walmart is located in Whitewater, WI

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When do you guys think retailers are going to be getting physical copies of the game in? There are still a couple of indie retailers around here that will break street dates occasionally. I may try to snake a copy this weekend.

Harminoff posted:

That walmart is located in Whitewater, WI

It doesn't even matter. Big retailers have an electronic alert that prevents them from selling games early. It's pretty common to run into a game before it's released just to have them tell you they can't sell it to you at the register.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NESguerilla posted:

When do you guys think retailers are going to be getting physical copies of the game in? There are still a couple of indie retailers around here that will break street dates occasionally. I may try to snake a copy this weekend.

The local Gamestop here in Orlando, FL had their copies today when I went in to try and sneak my pre-order out the door; I saw the big box full of collector's editions behind the counter.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ornamented Death posted:

Most likely this.

screenshot game on the pre-order page?

Wait so what hidden things are there on the site (in total)?

There's the inital glyph game on the home page, there's the Enemies button the community page... what else?

Also: http://www.preparetodie.com/official_rules_Dark_Souls.pdf are the official rules for the statue contest.

enojy posted:

The local Gamestop here in Orlando, FL had their copies today when I went in to try and sneak my pre-order out the door; I saw the big box full of collector's editions behind the counter.

That big box is secretly a mimic. From Software created real-life mimics and are sending them to retailers to catch people trying to break the street date.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

enojy posted:

God dammit. I have a paper to write and now I know I am just going to end up on a mission to get someone to sell me a copy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, the valley of defilement in Demon's looks so incredibly quaint compared to its equivalent here.

edit: the most important thing that the IGN review said was in the first paragraph: Dark Souls is pure game. It's not trying to be a movie, it's not trying to be a novel. It's just a game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 30, 2011

AlPath
Jan 14, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

Lets look at the breakdown:
9.5 Presentation
The creature and environment design is incomparable, confidently spanning the extremes between disgusting, horrific, majestic and desolately beautiful.
9.0 Graphics
Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world.
9.5 Sound
Dark Souls' sound design is astounding, from the beating of mighty wings to the atmospheric drip-drip-drip of a dank sewer.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, exciting combat is a the core of brutally fair design that only occasionally crosses the line.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
There are at least 60 hours in the first playthrough, with plenty more in exploration and experimentation.

OVERALL

So that's: 9.5/ 9 / 9.5 / 9 /9.5 = 9 :smugbert:
Oh IGN how I love thee. :ughh:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Also, people who think they are clever speech-crafters have to deal with the punishing difficulty of GameStop has an automated warning on whenever a game is being sold outside of its street date, and a reminder of what the punishment is. (in the US, it's a 10k fine for every game sold, unless it is a midnight release :psyduck: that is instant termination in that sort of job, you won't see them budging)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Another review here lads http://kathrynpackerroberts.blogspot.com/2011/09/dark-souls-review.html

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Everyone, stop being angry the game ONLY got a 9.0. That's still a great score.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

qbert posted:

Everyone, stop being angry the game ONLY got a 9.0. That's still a great score.

You mean that one guy?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I think 9 is a great score, even for IGN. Cause, you know, you can't spell ignorance without IGN. :rolleyes:

Also, crossing my fingers for a midnight release.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The.GreyWolf posted:

I think 9 is a great score, even for IGN. Cause, you know, you can't spell ignorance without IGN. :rolleyes:

Also, crossing my fingers for a midnight release.

The 'Stop, at least, is doing one. Should be country-wide, since a buttload of other games (that no true gamer should care about) also come out on that day.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I'm always kind of excited for GS reviews because I like to be THAT GUY and predict how they'll underscore a game I like. Its kind of a game to me that I don't take that seriously anymore since GS doesn't decide purchases for me, but I like being pleasantly surprised and "losing" the game. I'm predicting an 8.0 from them.

Anyways, I'm still playing DeS, spent a while farming latria (3-1?) and overall I really enjoy the stage a lot. Part 2 scared the poo poo out of me because of heights+atmosphere and I'd always read a hint that would say "BEHIND YOU" and I'd turn to see nothing then I'd look away and there would be a gargoyle or man centipede :(. I'm kind of dreading finishing Latria because it has my favorite atmosphere out of all the places I've tried so far. I did a little bit of VoD and it looks like its going to be a huge pain in the rear end, I hate poo poo like poison but thankfully I have really high magic that smokes stuff pretty fast.

I don't wanna sound like THAT GUY again..but does anyone think that DeS' difficulty is kind of overstated in reviews? It is most definitely hard but once you get use to the game and figure out the ropes you'll die a lot less. Yeah, I got creamed by silver skeletons all of yesterday but they're assholes. The game can be harsh but its not unfair at all. Yeah, if you die you start over but you keep keys and items you found and event switches stay activated and to me those are the game's equivalent to "checkpoints".

Haven't beat the game yet and I've heard new game+ is a lot harder but that's as far as a lot of reviewers go. I suck at games pretty badly but find myself scratching my head at reviewers who bashed DeS for its "impossible" difficulty (like Yahtzee). Really excited for Dark Souls, I really hope the world's are more varied and that there's more difficulty (which I've heard it does have, I've avoided streams). Got it on pre-order :).

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 30, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AlPath posted:

Oh IGN how I love thee. :ughh:
I'd assume they have some weighting involved, as a 9.5 in sound is not as important as a 9.0 in something else.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I don't wanna sound like THAT GUY again..but does anyone think that DeS' difficulty is kind of overstated in reviews? It is most definitely hard but once you get use to the game and figure out the ropes you'll die a lot less. Yeah, I got creamed by silver skeletons all of yesterday but they're assholes. The game can be harsh but its not unfair at all. Yeah, if you die you start over but you keep keys and items you found and event switches stay activated and to me those are the game's equivalent to "checkpoints".

The thing about Demon's Souls' difficulty is that it's all front-loaded. Every bit of it seems completely impossible at first, but the more familiar with the game you get the easier and easier it gets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any way to get into the Book of the Guilty besides breaking oath with a covenant? Like, can being a black phantom invader get you into the book straight up?

I feel like that would be awesome, you get the immediate risk/reward of being a black phantom plus any white knights out there can get their white knight on :v:

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I'd assume they have some weighting involved, as a 9.5 in sound is not as important as a 9.0 in something else.

As silly as going over the nuances of review scores is, I think it's worth noting that IGN says that the final score that they give isn't an average. It's up to the reviewer's discretion to determine the final score; how they score the individual parts of a game in completely unrelated and has no impact on the overall verdict. That begs the question why they even score individual parts of a game, but I just chalk it up to the silly, arbitrary numbers games that most review sites are completely enamored with.

That said, review scores (and by extension most reviews) are silly things that aren't worth taking too seriously.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I'm kind of dreading finishing Latria because it has my favorite atmosphere out of all the places I've tried so far. I did a little bit of VoD and it looks like its going to be a huge pain in the rear end, I hate poo poo like poison but thankfully I have really high magic that smokes stuff pretty fast.

3-2 was great because the shortcut to the boss involved fighting a black phantom on a stupidly small ledge, and it really tested your skill (though rolling as a dex pumped thief let me arrow the oval office before he could shoot off any paralyzing magic) Plus i'm sure i haven't fully explored 3-2 or 5-2 simply because it's too scary. X-3 aren't really proper levels, with the exception of the Boletarian palace, especially with 3-3 being one staircase and a boss. What i'm reading about Dark Souls is sounding like every area is fleshed out properly and there are fewer short areas

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Polite Tim posted:

3-2 was great because the shortcut to the boss involved fighting a black phantom on a stupidly small ledge, and it really tested your skill (though rolling as a dex pumped thief let me arrow the oval office before he could shoot off any paralyzing magic) Plus i'm sure i haven't fully explored 3-2 or 5-2 simply because it's too scary. X-3 aren't really proper levels, with the exception of the Boletarian palace, especially with 3-3 being one staircase and a boss. What i'm reading about Dark Souls is sounding like every area is fleshed out properly and there are fewer short areas

Yeah, I'm really excited for Dark Souls because it will no doubt have a lot more level variety. I really liked the youtube vids I saw of the golden looking castle roof, reminded me of a cleaner Latria sort of. Someone compared it to Draknengard and I agree, but that's what I liked about it.

If Dark Souls can give me more monsters and more cool places to explore I'll be satisfied. Hopefully the combat is pretty much the same, with some tweaks, because in my opinion DeS has perfect combat. It all feels right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ha, I called around a bit to see if anyone had put it out early and had an unexpected conversation with a sears call center employee.

Me: Do you have dark souls
Him: weird, someone else just called about that right before you. It's not out till the fourth. I can't wait for that game. I took Wednesday off so I could play it. You should try Wal Mart. Someone on the forums said they are putting out copies early.

Then we continued to have a 5 minute conversation about Demon's Souls :)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Haven't beat the game yet and I've heard new game+ is a lot harder but that's as far as a lot of reviewers go. I suck at games pretty badly but find myself scratching my head at reviewers who bashed DeS for its "impossible" difficulty (like Yahtzee). Really excited for Dark Souls, I really hope the world's are more varied and that there's more difficulty (which I've heard it does have, I've avoided streams). Got it on pre-order :).
New Game+ is absolutely loving amazing, honestly. It's a lot tougher but the enemy tactics are exactly the same. So if you remember how to beat things you'll be fine. If anything NG+ hones your skills to perfection. Beating the False King on NG+ solo is certainly one of my best achievements in gaming.

I just went back to New Game from New Game++ and I'm honestly almost laughing at how much rear end I'm kicking in New Game.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 1, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best PvP video I've seen (maybe it's been posted already but I can't keep up with 20 pages of posts every 12 hours), only mild spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak

The invading phantoms are purple because: They're hunting an oath breaker of their faction

This is the mild spoiler: There is a ring that reportedly makes you almost totally translucent in the forest area only

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sheep-Goats posted:

What? Covenant members can hunt down oathbreakers within their covenant, like the Darkmoon guys can hunt down anyone?? Is this what you are saying. Because that is awesome.

Edit: This is a good fukken video

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 1, 2011

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Welp pretty much gonna do that all the time

*edit* the dislike bar and tears in the comments are great. I love the way he gets killed in the end.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best PvP video I've seen (maybe it's been posted already but I can't keep up with 20 pages of posts every 12 hours), only mild spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak

The invading phantoms are purple because: They're hunting an oath breaker of their faction

This is the mild spoiler: There is a ring that reportedly makes you almost totally translucent in the forest area only
Holy poo poo this video is amazing, that is a gigantic dick move.

• Locked thread