Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bogart posted:

If you find you can't beat him and just want him to stop killing you, there's a man near the Undead Parish's bell that will let you absolve your sins.

He's just mysteriously disappeared now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

(Edit: After re-reading a bunch of the thread, it looks like the whole "it actually gets a lot easier" thing is pretty common, but my questions still stand)

So I just beat the game for the first time. Picked up the Prepare to Die edition secondhand based on word of mouth. Got to say, lived up to the hype, probably one of the best, tensest and most rewarding games I've ever played. Loved how just about any equipment was actually viable as long as you adjusted your play style, I rolled a Knight and stuck with the same Elite Knight set/Halberd/Greatshield setup for almost all of the game purely because it was the most aesthetically pleasing choice. One thing that did confuse me a little is just how easy it got to basically break the game towards the end. Early bosses and areas wrecked my poo poo (Undead Burg, Blight town, Belfry gargoyles, I'm looking at you), whereas by the end I was basically 1 or 2 shotting every boss that came my way and strolling through Tomb of the Giants like it was the local park. I one-shot:

Sif
Ceaseless Discharge
Gravelord Nito
Centipede Demon
Demon Firesage
4 Kings
Kalameet
Bed of Chaos
Pinwheel

Just by throwing on the Greatshield of Artorias and Havel's set and then tank n' spanking everything with a decently upgraded Halberd or BKS. Is this just par for the course until you hit NG+? I've already noticed that even the absolute beginning enemies in undead burg are hitting me (if I mess up my block) for similar damage to the Centipede demon in NG. However, they don't seem to have massively upgraded health so as long as I've got my head on straight I can still take them down pretty fast. Also noticed that my most problematic bosses (Artorias, Manus and to a lesser extent Gwyn, although he still went down on the second try because I abused the poo poo out of the stalagmites in the room to break his line of attack and poked him to death with a halberd) are the ones which get right up in your face and demand a lot more twitch reaction. Are these guys likely to be insurmountable with straight up shield tanking in NG+?

Right now, I'm just lamenting the fact that it's never going to be a surprise again to walk through the fog door in lower undead burg and meet the welcome goat.

Gavrilo Princip fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 8, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Play Dark Souls 2 blind, and play it with a fastrolling character opposite to how you played DaS1.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
How do you trade/receive/give items and gear?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Darkness5780 posted:

How do you trade/receive/give items and gear?

With other players?

You have to arrange to summon them, or be summoned by them. Then you just drop stuff on the ground and they pick it up.

Arranging the summon is a tricky part. Has to be an area where at least one of you has NOT beaten the boss. Have to be fairly close in level range. (roughly +/- 10 levels + 10% of your current level) (( so if you're say- SL 100, you should be able to summon/be summoned by anyone who is 80-120 or so: 100 +/- 10 = 90-110, +- 10% = 10 = 80-120)) Best bet is to arrange with your friend to drop your sign somewhere out of the way so randoms don't summon you. Although - I'm sure with the release of DS2, summoning is nowhere near as brisk as it once was.

There are summoning range calculators online to figure out correct levels, but it's more of a guideline than a rule. If you're within a few levels of each other you should be fine.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Holy poo poo, I haven't played this game for a year or so and I'm so rusty. Laurel & Hardy are kicking my rear end so hard :smith:
I'm gonna try a naked run and flip all over the place, because mid rolling obviously doesn't work for me

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't played this game for a year or so and I'm so rusty. Laurel & Hardy are kicking my rear end so hard :smith:
I'm gonna try a naked run and flip all over the place, because mid rolling obviously doesn't work for me

Concentrate on Ornstein. Two hand your weapon, circle/dodge him, and just get as many hits as you can in there. Then, if you have any stamina left, dodge Smough's hammer. If not, just take the hit - Smough basically cannot one shot you no matter what your VIT is unless he gets some kind of damage multiplier from you rolling or being stamian broken or whatever.

The trick to this fight is that Smough is not actually that strong, but Ornstein is. Concentrate on killing Ornstein and let Smough do what he wants, and you'll be surprised at how much easier the fight gets.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Thanks, but I kinda did it the other way around, as I find super Ornstein a lot easier... Naked (obligatory sack on the head), with flip ring and 2 handing my +10 uchigatana, didn't get hit once... I don't know what i was thinking with my mid-roll setup, i never could play like that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just picked this up for PC playing for the first time and loving it. Dying a ton, but still loving it. Still in undead burg and trying to kill the black knight, hoping he drops the sword. I can always grab the drake sword, I know, but the black knight sword is a bit better with high strength.

Playing through with a str/dex warrior, currently liking the wing spear.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The BKS is a lot better than the Drake Sword, actually. Fuckton more base damage and it has some scaling. It just has higher base requirements, but that's expected.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
Any suggestions on replacing Drake Sword for a sword and shield build?

Going into Sen's Fortress and only doing 30dmg on the first couple of enemies.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Anything with upgrades, really. Claymore's a really good choice, it's on the dragon bridge.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also uh, quick question. I'm playing on a laptop and I don't have an insert key. I tried rebinding the switch message thing, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work at all no matter what I rebind it to. Uh, any help here?

E: also gently caress the depths

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 13, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Darkness5780 posted:

The Snakemen in Sen's are highly resistant to Physical Damage. Pretty much anything else: Fire/Lightning etc will help a lot. You probably don't have access to those yet except for resins, but even the resins will make it more manageable. Any +5-10 weapon you like the moveset of (better yet - somethng which scales with your main damage stat) + charcoal pine resin will likely be a lot better than the Drake sword.

You can get Charcoal Pine Resin from the female undead merchant in the aqueduct - only 500 a pop.

Otherwise: fight them one at a time whenever possible (and I can't think of very many places where that isn't possible), and circle/backstab a lot.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Also, use the traps to your benefit in Sen's. You can take out one of the first two snakemen with the dart trap and a few more on the tightrope walks with swinging blades.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Snakemen are really easy to parry and riposte as well. It's good to learn how to parry them since you will be meeting them in groups of 2 later in the game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Darkness5780 posted:

Gravelord Greatsword :getin:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Mister Blueberry posted:

Thanks, but I kinda did it the other way around, as I find super Ornstein a lot easier... Naked (obligatory sack on the head), with flip ring and 2 handing my +10 uchigatana, didn't get hit once... I don't know what i was thinking with my mid-roll setup, i never could play like that.

There seems to be some divide on that. I personally think Super Smough to be much easier, but yeah in general I think it's better to kill whoever you don't want to get bigger first.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I keep getting too distracted to try it myself, but...has anyone who has played Dark Souls 2 gone back to do a run through Dark Souls to see if some of the new skills - particularly - managing multiple enemies in a boss fight actually translate back?

I still live with the secret shame of having never soloed O&S. At the very least I always summoned Solaire. So now that I have soloed several of the multi-bosses in DS2, I'm curious to go back and give O&S a try alone.

Anyone?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
e: ^^Speaking of which...^^

Hey guys, I'm playing through DS1 for the first time (SL 52 STR/END Bandit, Elite Knight Armour, Broadsword) and I have for probably the first time in the entire game, properly hit a wall.

That wall is Ornstein and Smough and I am getting my poo poo handed to me constantly - and I have had zero humanity since Sen's Fortress so I cannot summon either. Maybe ill prepared for Anor Londo but I guess I wasn't reading the guides that closely as I've been loathe to do.

Now these two fuckers are destroying my sole, lonely rear end any time I enter and friends have so far been resorting to machismo rather than offering help, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to traipse back through Sen's Fortress and farm a decent amount of humanity before attempting this poo poo again (presumably the cage lift in Sen's and the rotating stairs in Anor Londo will save me some distance and grief?), what are your thoughts goons?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2014

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Why not get yourself summoned a few times and get some humanity and souls to level up?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Lucas Archer posted:

Why not get yourself summoned a few times and get some humanity and souls to level up?

Hmm, I guess? I haven't gotten myself summoned that much through the whole game so far, never enough to successfully get humanity from it. Would it be more expedient that all this backtracking I'm thinking of?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get some Pyromancy going on. Great Combustion and a souped-up Glove can hit pretty good.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I found this episode of Zain's LP handy in understanding how to solo O&S. Having enough stamina and stability to block Orns' attacks and keep moving makes a huge difference too (if you are blocking)

52 is, whilst obviously doable, maybe a little low for Anor Londo first time. If you've a high str, look at what you've got weaponwise that might make use of that better.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Tylana posted:

I found this episode of Zain's LP handy in understanding how to solo O&S. Having enough stamina and stability to block Orns' attacks and keep moving makes a huge difference too (if you are blocking)

52 is, whilst obviously doable, maybe a little low for Anor Londo first time. If you've a high str, look at what you've got weaponwise that might make use of that better.

Great video, thanks loads for this. I'll grind myself up a bit higher SL, look at a heavier weapon for this fight (got loads, they could just do with some upgrading vs this +10 Broadsword) and see about getting some humanity. :)

e: 30 strength, just enough for a tower shield, could probably raise my claymore game a bit...

e2: Actually I may be reading this whole weapon scaling thing wrong, As I have about :
STR 30
END 28
DEX 14

What regular (not ridiculous to obtain) weapon would you guys recommend me? I generally have had better luck taking on bosses with the broadsword due to being able to hit again and again and quickly block/dodge than risking more with heavier, slower hits, but I can learn if need be.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 18, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
With 30 strength I'd go back to Sen's and farm snakemen for a Man-Serpent Greatsword. It's not all that slow and scales a whole lot better with your stats than a Broadsword. If you need humanity to help with the drop rate (it's bad), farm up some from the rats in the Depths. The blobs in the hallway near the Depths bonfire will also drop Large Titanite Shards (when they don't drop the dumb green ones) so you can also farm there for the stuff you need to upgrade it.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Fenrir posted:

With 30 strength I'd go back to Sen's and farm snakemen for a Man-Serpent Greatsword. It's not all that slow and scales a whole lot better with your stats than a Broadsword. If you need humanity to help with the drop rate (it's bad), farm up some from the rats in the Depths. The blobs in the hallway near the Depths bonfire will also drop Large Titanite Shards (when they don't drop the dumb green ones) so you can also farm there for the stuff you need to upgrade it.

Ace! I got lucky a few days back and already have a Man-Serpent Greatsword, (Sen's Funhouse :negative: )so I can start pumping titanite into that instead.

Thanks loads for the help guys, I'll report back on my progress with Orn and smog :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 18, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Aliginge posted:

Ace! I got lucky a few days back and already have a Man-Serpent Greatsword, (Sen's Funhouse :negative: )so I can start pumping titanite into that instead.

Thanks loads for the help guys, I'll report back on my progress with Orn and smog :v:

As I mentioned before - I have never solo'd them, but after playing PLENTY of DS2 and fighting bosses will multiple avatars, I can offer the following advice:

- Keep BOTH of them within your view whenever possible. (This is tricky. Easiest way is to not lock on at all. 2nd Easiest is to lock on to the one you are NOT attacking, and keep the other one in between you) At the very least, toggle lock on/off a lot as needed.
- Use the pillars in the boss room to limit their movement/attacks
- Be patient, wait for an opening.
- Don't get greedy. <-- this is most important. Make sure you still have a quarter to a 3rd of your stamina bar after attacking, in case you need to roll.

And remember that after one of them goes down - the remaining one gets a full health bar. So there is NO advantage at all in chipping both of them down hoping for an easier 2nd half of the fight. Focus on one and only one to begin with. The debate rages as to which is easier, but really - BOTH super sized versions aren't too tough. For Super O - hug his legs and most of his attacks will go right over you. For Super S - stay close enough so he doesn't do the running charge too often. For both - be wary of the Lightning Butt Slam. You usually need to roll TWICE to get far enough away - so refer to earlier tip about managing your stamina bar.

Good luck.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Smough and Ornstein solo'd. :getin:

Hard as all fuckery and I was at my wits end, but suddenly everything fell into place, Orn went down rather quick due to distancing himself a bit much, and Smough pretty much took me down to my last Estus.

The trick I found which helped me was to go under 50% weight. Kiting Smough was so much easier when you can actually move.

Not sure how this Maneater Serpent sword +10 is working out though, I keep whiffing hits, but it does wreck things when it does eventually hit though.

Edit: Looking into potential A-STR scaling weapons leads me to consider the Mace, decent damage with STR scaling and hits a lot faster than typical massive weapons which are easy to whiff with :L

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 20, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Aliginge posted:

Smough and Ornstein solo'd. :getin:

Hard as all fuckery and I was at my wits end, but suddenly everything fell into place, Orn went down rather quick due to distancing himself a bit much, and Smough pretty much took me down to my last Estus.

The trick I found which helped me was to go under 50% weight. Kiting Smough was so much easier when you can actually move.

Not sure how this Maneater Serpent sword +10 is working out though, I keep whiffing hits, but it does wreck things when it does eventually hit though.

Edit: Looking into potential A-STR scaling weapons leads me to consider the Mace, decent damage with STR scaling and hits a lot faster than typical massive weapons which are easy to whiff with :L

Get under 25% weight and really see what moving is all about :getin:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Kill fatties in Blighttown until they drop a Large Club. Rejoice. \o/

I am not as fond of under 25% weight as some (because I need my greathshield safety blanket) but under 50% is almost assumed, I feel.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Big chunk of silver knight farming this weekend and some bro-op takedowns of O&S, I have maxed out Giant Armour Set, +10 Man Serpent Sword and +10 Tower shield and I have enough END to run around like it was the Elite Knight set.

The difference between me a few days ago is ten SLs and all this gear and it's made me feel nigh unstoppable. Never thought I'd take out the Stray Demon on my first go.

Doing the painted world before heading down to New Londo, get the ember that allows you to put your gear to +15, after that I'll be as ready as I'll ever be for the rest of the game :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 20, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

EightBit posted:

Get under 25% weight and really see what moving is all about :getin:

Better yet, just go naked. If you're not worried about poise you really don't need armor and it's quite freeing, really! When you see how survivable everything is even while naked, it's quite a confidence booster.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 20, 2014

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Just had someone invade me last night while role playing as a merchant. He basically goes around selling any shards or equipment to players who want them, or buying whatever stuff people want to get rid of. Kind of fun to play along with, I'd be interested to see how many do so.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lessthankyle posted:

Just had someone invade me last night while role playing as a merchant. He basically goes around selling any shards or equipment to players who want them, or buying whatever stuff people want to get rid of. Kind of fun to play along with, I'd be interested to see how many do so.

I wonder how many people just kill him on the spot. Please tell me he was dressed like Gavlan.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
More swashbuckler-esque. It seems like someone sold him a modded sword, so he keeps safe with that.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

How does he communicate that he's a "merchant"? Through PMs?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Yeah, he sent a chat request with a note that he's there to sell. Seems like he's got a fleshed out system going.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

lessthankyle posted:

Yeah, he sent a chat request with a note that he's there to sell. Seems like he's got a fleshed out system going.

That's pretty unique, I have to say. Bonus point if he was wearing that one tracking merchant's armor (the "aye simae" dude).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I decided to kill Kalameet and maybe get his sword for fun. He wasn't having that. After about 20 minutes of waiting for that tail slam, I just said gently caress it and clubbed it to death. I did get really good at dodging all his attacks, though.

• Locked thread