Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

about magic characters and characters generally, I have 10 points to spend (going to lvl 125) on my mage pvp dude. Should i take vit from 40 to 50, having end stay at 30, or 40/40 vit/end, or 45/35 vit/end? what do you guy think?

What are your other stats?

Given the information at hand, END is always more useful than VIT for me. If you're playing on console, though, just don't put any points in and stay at 115, you'll pick up more co-op partners that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

EC posted:

What are your other stats?

Given the information at hand, END is always more useful than VIT for me. If you're playing on console, though, just don't put any points in and stay at 115, you'll pick up more co-op partners that way.

Playing ps3. doing a pvp character so no co-op

my stats are:
sl 111
40 vit (maybe 50?)
14 att
30 end (maybe 40, although I do have 53 poise and fast roll with my current fashion)
16 str
30 dex (maybe taking this to 40 instead of end/vit?)
44 int
8 fth

I generally use moonlight greatsword, estoc/ricards rapier with cmw, velkas rapier, moonlight butterfly horn and that useless titanite catch pole. been having good success with cmw estoc and homing crystal souls + crystal soul spear.
should i get dex to 40 or vit to 50 or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I would suggest leveling no higher than 120. That will allow you to be summoned and catbro invade (since both of these are 10+10% of your level down) people down to sl100, which some people stop at.

Definitely not Vit; 40's plenty. I'd say either Dex for maximum damage with Dex scaling, but End is a good option for more stamina and more equip load for fashion soulsing.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Genocyber posted:

I would suggest leveling no higher than 120. That will allow you to be summoned and catbro invade (since both of these are 10+10% of your level down) people down to sl100, which some people stop at.

Definitely not Vit; 40's plenty. I'd say either Dex for maximum damage with Dex scaling, but End is a good option for more stamina and more equip load for fashion soulsing.

yes I might be shooting for end, more damage isn't really needed with cmw and the magic scaling weapons don't scale well with dex anyway. it's between dex and end. no higher than 120 you say? I'll remember it. thanks!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, your stats are already endgame and PVP perfect, leveling even to 120 will limit some of your interaction, why bother? Go forth and kill bitches. There is nothing in Dark Souls that can't be destroyed with 44 INT. That includes other players.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sticking at 100 is a good point because it leaves you squarely in the middle of a range where you can still bro with / invade 80s who are trying to get the lord souls AND upwards to the 120 endgame players. A tight enough 100 build can make up for the fact that a lot of those 120s will be using suboptimal builds as well.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What's a good weapon to take me through NG+? Still using black knight sword +5 and sort of want a change of pace since I used it for most of the last game. My str is 40 and my dex is 20.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sharzak posted:

What's a good weapon to take me through NG+? Still using black knight sword +5 and sort of want a change of pace since I used it for most of the last game. My str is 40 and my dex is 20.

If you're playing STR, your choices are Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, the Man-serpent Greatsword, and other Black Knight weaponry. Try the Black Knight Halberd if you want a fun change of pace.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sharzak posted:

A fun STR weapon is the Zweihander. The 2-handed R2 attack will flatten normal sized enemies, and can be used to stunlock large enemies (and even some bosses).

Turning PVP enemies into pancakes never gets old.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

If you're playing STR, your choices are Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, the Man-serpent Greatsword, and other Black Knight weaponry. Try the Black Knight Halberd if you want a fun change of pace.

The fun change of pace can be summed up by :black101:
Don't think there is anything that does not melt to the BKH.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
When is a good time to knock out the Darkroot Garden stuff? I guess I am at the point in the game where I can either go to the depths and blighttown to ring the 2nd bell or do Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin and kill the Hydra.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

blackguy32 posted:

When is a good time to knock out the Darkroot Garden stuff? I guess I am at the point in the game where I can either go to the depths and blighttown to ring the 2nd bell or do Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin and kill the Hydra.
You can do it now or later, doesn't matter much except for the DLC content, but if you're feeling really ballsy, get the Crest of Artorias and go through that path in the Darkroot forest before Blighttown. It's pretty fun.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

blackguy32 posted:

I found Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin fairly easy. I ended up doing the stuff there right after ringing the first bell because I thought that was where I was supposed to go. It wasn't until I found a path leading the the Valley of Drakes that I felt out classed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There's a boss in the garden that you might have trouble with before ringing the bells (and even after) but he isn't required to beat until very near the end of the game so go nuts.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Hahah holy poo poo people NEVER expect the murakumos second r2, they always go in for a counter or backstab just as im entering the animation for r2, dead angling automatically in the process. So much fun. It's definitely slow enough for good players to not let you get a single hit in though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I imagine this is as old as poo poo to most of you guys, but for anyone like me who just recently struggled through the game for the first time, here is a wonderful song about the joys of Blighttown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_h-NvMJK-c
(spoilers for blighttown obviously)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since we're posting musical tributes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just started the game and beat the Asylum Demon today! :toot: Before I got the game, I thought I'd absolutely hate it, but I'm actually kinda digging it so far. It's hard, but in a fair way, which is cool.

FYI my starting class was warrior and I'm thinking of doing a Dex-focused samurai build.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

FYI my starting class was warrior and I'm thinking of doing a Dex-focused samurai build.

There's lots of good DEX based weapons to choose from. There's a spot not too far ahead where you can get the Balder Side Sword, if you're lucky enough that an enemy drops it. It makes a great DEX weapon, and has huge reach when using the thrust attack.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Waffleman_ posted:

I just started the game and beat the Asylum Demon today! :toot: Before I got the game, I thought I'd absolutely hate it, but I'm actually kinda digging it so far. It's hard, but in a fair way, which is cool.

Although I don't recommend it, there's a certain NPC you can kill that will give you a great early game DEX weapon: The first merchant in the Undead Burg drops a Uchi, which has great scaling as you upgrade it along with your DEX. Just make sure you buy everything from him first, and the only thing you won't have access to after he's dead is a supply of Lloyd's Talismans, which are primarily a PVP item..

Baldur Swag Sword is also good for DEX stuff.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You can also get an Estoc less than a minute after making it to to Firelink by heading down.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Zombie Guy posted:

There's lots of good DEX based weapons to choose from. There's a spot not too far ahead where you can get the Balder Side Sword, if you're lucky enough that an enemy drops it. It makes a great DEX weapon, and has huge reach when using the thrust attack.

I only played through the game 2 times but I've never seen that sword so yeah I guess lucky is the right word :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lordfrikk posted:

I only played through the game 2 times but I've never seen that sword so yeah I guess lucky is the right word :v:

Even farming it with maxed out item find takes a while. "Lucky" is an understatement.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

HaB posted:

Even farming it with maxed out item find takes a while. "Lucky" is an understatement.

There's a trick to item farming that any DS vet can tell you: you have to NOT want the item in question.
:darksouls: knows when you want an item, and will never drop it for you. If you're playing a speedy mage build, you can be sure that Black Knights will all drop their weapons and shields. Running a DEX guy? You'll have many complete sets of Balder armour and plenty of shields before that sword drops. BUT! Your tanky STR build will get the sword from the first Balder knight he kills.
Once you accept this, you'll be one step closer to DS Enlightenment.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

There's a trick to item farming that any DS vet can tell you: you have to NOT want the item in question.
:darksouls: knows when you want an item, and will never drop it for you. If you're playing a speedy mage build, you can be sure that Black Knights will all drop their weapons and shields. Running a DEX guy? You'll have many complete sets of Balder armour and plenty of shields before that sword drops. BUT! Your tanky STR build will get the sword from the first Balder knight he kills.
Once you accept this, you'll be one step closer to DS Enlightenment.
This poo poo happened all the time when I made Paladin builds (6). I got 6 Channeler's Tridents from the fucks on each save, wasn't even farming, and usually the first time when killing one.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, I just started playing this game and fell in love. I`m at Sen`s Fortress and am getting wrecked really bad. Where the hell is a bonfire?

Also, can someone tell me what stats I need to use the Dark Knight Greatsword? Thanks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I just started playing this game and fell in love. I`m at Sen`s Fortress and am getting wrecked really bad. Where the hell is a bonfire?

When you emerge outside on the roof look over suspicious ledges.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Just got invaded by a neat gimmick. I just started a new file and was outside the church in the Undead Parish, by the pathway down to Andre, when I went away from the TV to do something. When I got back to the game, there was an invader standing in front of me, not doing anything. He was semi-transparent like a ghost, had no arms, legs or weapons and a calamity symbol over his head. He didn't attack and I couldn't do any damage to him. So eventually, we're just standing looking at each other when he does the prostration gesture, takes out a talisman and blows me up with some karmic justice-type explosion (big and purple, can't think of anything else like that) for an insta-kill. I was pretty annoyed until he sent me a very distorted voice message that just whispered 'help me...'. He must have hacked the game to poo poo to get all those effects but it was pretty cool.

Injun Greenberg fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 2, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Austrian mook posted:

Also, can someone tell me what stats I need to use the Dark Knight Greatsword? Thanks.

If you have it just check the required stats on its item page, otherwise Google? :shrug:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Are you playing the game in a different region? Because I've seen people call the Black Knight Greatsword the Dark Knight GS and it's loving baffling.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Stargate posted:

Just got invaded by a neat gimmick. I just started a new file and was outside the church in the Undead Parish, by the pathway down to Andre, when I went away from the TV to do something. When I got back to the game, there was an invader standing in front of me, not doing anything. He was semi-transparent like a ghost, had no arms, legs or weapons and a calamity symbol over his head. He didn't attack and I couldn't do any damage to him. So eventually, we're just standing looking at each other when he does the prostration gesture, takes out a talisman and blows me up with some karmic justice-type explosion (big and purple, can't think of anything else like that) for an insta-kill. I was pretty annoyed until he sent me a very distorted voice message that just whispered 'help me...'. He must have hacked the game to poo poo to get all those effects but it was pretty cool.

Did you get your disc from an old man at a yard sale who mysteriously vanished?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Hello. I'm too lazy to turn on my PS3 so, does this still work on PC? Did they patch out GFWL? rip

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

It still works. GFWL isn't patched out, but it works. There are even some people still playing high level PVP and stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am enjoying being a Sunlight Warrior so much. Jolly Cooperation. :allears:

What're some good places to hang out and place your summon sign? I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the bonfire in Anor Londo where Solaire was resting.

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013
I have another 8 days of nothing at all to do before I go back to school, I've spent the last 2 weeks tearing up Dark Souls 2 and I'm starting to get burnt out. I've thought about playing through Dark Souls 1 again, but is it pretty easy to find pvp and co-op summons still? Or is it mostly dead at this point?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

VJeff posted:

I am enjoying being a Sunlight Warrior so much. Jolly Cooperation. :allears:

What're some good places to hang out and place your summon sign? I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the bonfire in Anor Londo where Solaire was resting.

Back in the day I suggested

SL1-20: Gargs
SL10-20: Capra
SL20-40: Gaping
SL30-50: Quelaag
SL40-60: O&S
SL60-80: Any of the Lord Souls
SL80+: Kiln, NG+

Pyrok posted:

I have another 8 days of nothing at all to do before I go back to school, I've spent the last 2 weeks tearing up Dark Souls 2 and I'm starting to get burnt out. I've thought about playing through Dark Souls 1 again, but is it pretty easy to find pvp and co-op summons still? Or is it mostly dead at this point?

360 version is still active with summon signs and people to invade, I would assume the PS3 version is the same. Hell, Demon's Souls is still fairly active, so I'm guessing DS1 will stay the same for awhile.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

EC posted:

360 version is still active with summon signs and people to invade, I would assume the PS3 version is the same. Hell, Demon's Souls is still fairly active, so I'm guessing DS1 will stay the same for awhile.

PS3 is active too. Was even gravelorded in multiple spots in NG+.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrok posted:

PS3 is very active. A lot of people have gone back to DkS1 because it's honestly a better game.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I'll try and get back into DS1 on my PS3 as well. Thinking about this game and comparing it to the sequel gives me the same impression as comparing Diablo and Diablo 2. The sequel vastly improves the mechanics and in general provides more of everything, larger levels, more monsters, bigger numbers. But this is not always a good thing, especially when it comes at the cost of atmosphere. What Diablo2 lost due to being more colorful and crowded, DS2 lost due to having less interesting bossfights with worse music. This is actually my main complaint. One of my absolute favourite moments in DS2 was the Gargoyle fight. When that music started, I was back there at the roof of the undead parish, fighting for my life, hearing the bell ringing from whenever someboy else beat them in his world.
Yes, DS1 had the Bed of Chaos, but in DS2 I am just as frustrated by the Old Iron King. On the other hand, I miss Sif, the Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, Ornstein&Smough, Gwyn. It's too much of "big guy in armor with a simple set of moves that kill you in one hit".

edit: Does anyone of you watch TheUrbanOrb's blind DS2 playthrough on Twitch? It's hilarious because that guy is apparently a hardcore Demon Souls / Dark Souls 1 veteran and he completely loses his poo poo while playing DS2. He hates almost everything about the game. Here is a link: http://www.twitch.tv/theurbanorb

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

sicDaniel posted:

edit: Does anyone of you watch TheUrbanOrb's blind DS2 playthrough on Twitch? It's hilarious because that guy is apparently a hardcore Demon Souls / Dark Souls 1 veteran and he completely loses his poo poo while playing DS2. He hates almost everything about the game. Here is a link: http://www.twitch.tv/theurbanorb

There's really no reason to bring the well-trod DS1 is better/worse than DS2 argument to the DS1 thread, since it's already happening on a weekly basis in both DS2 threads.

That said, your description of that LP is the exact combination of words and phrases to guarantee I never watch it. "hardcore" player who "hates almost everything" doesn't sound interesting at all, just boring.

• Locked thread