Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It was more the fact that I had already completed the game. What's there really to new game+? As I understand enemies get a little bit harder, you stay the same level and can keep your equipment but besides that it doesn't really have anything else to offer right?

I think the main fun part of Newgame+ is multiplayer in any area with all of your options available to you from the start.

That said, I pretty much never do NG+ and prefer to roll a new character every time, each with a different gimmick. It's crazy how replayable this and Demon's are with different builds/gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I think the main fun part of Newgame+ is multiplayer in any area with all of your options available to you from the start.

That said, I pretty much never do NG+ and prefer to roll a new character every time, each with a different gimmick. It's crazy how replayable this and Demon's are with different builds/gimmicks.

The gravelord covenant works in NG+ and makes areas harder in good ways. A gravelorded NG+ Sen's Fortress was a real challenge.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

v1ld posted:

The gravelord covenant works in NG+ and makes areas harder in good ways. A gravelorded NG+ Sen's Fortress was a real challenge.

what's it do anyway? I never tried.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

double nine posted:

what's it do anyway? I never tried.

It sends red phantom versions of ensues into other players' worlds, and (in theory) they have to find your sign, then use it to invade your world and kill you in order to get rid of them. In practice, it doesn't quite work so well. On the PC, there are mods that turn your game into perma-Gravelord mode, which can be a good challenge if you're otherwise bored with the game.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So what do I do regarding the soul and Cairan? I'm not quite sure who she is and I want to make the right decision. I don't care about losing or gaining items.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GoldenNugget posted:

So what do I do regarding the soul and Cairan? I'm not quite sure who she is and I want to make the right decision. I don't care about losing or gaining items.

you give her the soul for items or use the soul to make different items i don't think it has any real bearing on anything else

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

GoldenNugget posted:

You give her the soul and you get her weapons. You refuse to give it to her and you get to keep the soul. Kill her and you get her weapons and armor.
Killing her is the option that gives you the most things. This does not have any negative consequences aside from being able to give Ozzy some of your souls to absolve you of your sins. Which you never have to do anyway.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Nickoten posted:

I went back played some last night and ended up ringing the two bells again with some ease. I still needed Mildred for the quelaag.

I've traversed Anor Londo to Smog and ostrich who are wiping the floor with me and Solaire. I currently have the iato +15, the wasp ring and the defence ring equipped, with my best armour. Problem is my attacks are no more powerful when I finished the game, anyone have suggestions for beating these guys or getting stronger?

Last time I fought these guys I had a player phantom help, but, currently I don't have gold :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I've traversed Anor Londo to Smog and ostrich who are wiping the floor with me and Solaire. I currently have the iato +15, the wasp ring and the defence ring equipped, with my best armour. Problem is my attacks are no more powerful when I finished the game, anyone have suggestions for beating these guys or getting stronger?

Drop on a weapon buff (Magic weapon, Sunlight Blade, or Charcoal Pine Resin)?

Also an amusing physics bug happened to me tonight: While rumbling with Gaping Dragon on the PS3 version, somewhere in the middle of the arena, he hit me with his grab attack. Instead of getting picked up and chomped, I rubberbanded instantly through a wall right next to the entrance of the arena. I was stuck in a small behind-the-geometry area with no escape, but was able to still bop Gaping's head/leg when it clipped through from attacks that couldn't hit me. Killed him, got the post-boss homeward bone, and warped to safety.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I went back played some last night and ended up ringing the two bells again with some ease. I still needed Mildred for the quelaag.

Last time I fought these guys I had a player phantom help, but, currently I don't have gold :(

What's your Dex? If it's not 40, get it there ASAP. Try to get Orenstein interested in Solaire, then take out Smough - he's very susceptible to Bleed damage which your Iaito should be doing on roughly every 3rd or 4th hit. Otherwise - buff the weapon. If you have the Int - Magic Weapon is a good option. Great Magic Weapon or Crystal Magic Weapon are even better. Sunlight / Darkmoon Blade are other good options if you have them. The resins are okay, but they add a flat damage amount, as opposed to scaling with a stat.

If the cheese route is more your thing, max out a crossbow, put it in your right hand and kite around the room plinking away.

And remember to keep your damage limited to one of the two. When you take down one, the survivor goes back to full health, so there is no advantage in wearing them both down.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The Hornet Ring is useless against bosses not named Gwyn, and defense boosting rings don't really do enough to merit usage. You should always have the Ring of Favor equipped just because it's that good, and if you have it, try the Chloranthy Ring for extra stamina.

In terms of extra damage, you obviously should get 40 DEX as soon as you can, if you haven't already. Also, use weapon enchantments. If you haven't invested in either branch of magic yet, buy an Oolacile Catalyst from Dusk and get 15 INT to use Great Magic Weapon. With the Oolacile Catalyst, GMW can still compete with top-tier enchantments off fully invested stats, except you've only spent 7-9 levels instead of 40 or so.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Also, are you two-handing for more poise damage? Ornstein is really easy to poise break so 40 Dex + a +15 weapon + charcoal pine resin or some other buff should make very short work of him.

Alternatively, try obtaining and upgrading the Great Scythe.

Edit: gently caress, how could I forget? The single biggest damage boost you could probably give yourself besides 40 DEX is to cast Power Within on yourself to multiply your damage by 1.5. Also, you can switch out the Wasp ring for the Red Tearstone Ring, which should give you a pretty nice boost when you get down to really low HP and you're out of estus.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Nickoten posted:

Also, are you two-handing for more poise damage? Ornstein is really easy to poise break so 40 Dex + a +15 weapon + charcoal pine resin or some other buff should make very short work of him.

Alternatively, try obtaining and upgrading the Great Scythe.

Edit: gently caress, how could I forget? The single biggest damage boost you could probably give yourself besides 40 DEX is to cast Power Within on yourself to multiply your damage by 1.5. Also, you can switch out the Wasp ring for the Red Tearstone Ring, which should give you a pretty nice boost when you get down to really low HP and you're out of estus.

And really - if you want to go all the way to "Easy Boss Mode". Get the Great Scythe, upgrade to +15, get 40 Dex, 15 Int. Obtain Great Magic Weapon from the Church where the painting is, Power Within from Blighttown, and an Oolacile Ivory Catalyst from Dusk. You'll need enough Att for 2 spells. (12?)

Your setup becomes: LH: Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, Grass Crest Shield (on back for stamina buff), RH: Pyro Flame, Great Scythe

Cast PW first, switch to the catalyst and cast GMW. Two-hand the Scythe and be aggressive as poo poo. Either of them will go down in literally 4-5 hits. With that set of buffs, you will be doing something like 1100-1200 per hit. More once the bleed kicks in.

This is actually a fun run for the entire game, actually. If you are frustrated on a more challenging run, give this one a try and STEAMROLL everything.

Here is the setup I eventually get to. Get Int to 25 and use Crystal Magic Weapon once you can. The rings will enhance and lengthen your buffs. Dusk Crown makes them stronger. Anything else is just for looks. If you start as a Sorc, you can get to these stats at SL 47 if you don't level anything but the stuff needed to get here:

http://mmdks.com/6svq

Early game advice: If you are good enough to speedrun to the Scythe, do that first. Get Dex/Str to 14 so you can use it. Then focus on leveling Dex and upgrading the GS. Your Soul Arrows and variants will get you where the weapon won't.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

Here is the setup I eventually get to. Get Int to 25 and use Crystal Magic Weapon once you can.

This is a bad idea. If you're using magic stats without strictly being a spellcaster, you either want to use 15 INT for Great Magic Weapon, or 30 FTH for Sunlight/Darkmoon Blade. By using Crystal Magic at 25 INT, you only get 250 magic damage compared to 15 INT GMW's 200. However, by just adding 5 levels more (for a total of 30) into Faith instead, you'll end up with a whopping 300 Lightning damage while using Sunlight, or 360 Magic while using Darkmoon, while also having the perfect FTH for Wrath of the Gods and Great Magic Barrier.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Alabaster White posted:

This is a bad idea. If you're using magic stats without strictly being a spellcaster, you either want to use 15 INT for Great Magic Weapon, or 30 FTH for Sunlight/Darkmoon Blade. By using Crystal Magic at 25 INT, you only get 250 magic damage compared to 15 INT GMW's 200. However, by just adding 5 levels more (for a total of 30) into Faith instead, you'll end up with a whopping 300 Lightning damage while using Sunlight, or 360 Magic while using Darkmoon, while also having the perfect FTH for Wrath of the Gods and Great Magic Barrier.

Granted, but the level of commitment is a good bit higher to get either of those buffs. Either you kill Gwyndolin outright to get SLB, or collect 10 ears to get DMB. Killing Gwyndolin isn't too bad if you know the technique, but collecting 10 ears? Ugh. And for either you have to go get the ring from the Catacombs.

Plus you can still do well staying at the Sorc's default 15 Int and just using GMW, while keeping below SL 40, which has the bonus of giving you a decent mid-level invader for Depths and up.

I don't disagree with you. But it's not like any of these options will leave you struggling to do damage. :)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

Granted, but the level of commitment is a good bit higher to get either of those buffs. Either you kill Gwyndolin outright to get SLB, or collect 10 ears to get DMB. Killing Gwyndolin isn't too bad if you know the technique, but collecting 10 ears? Ugh. And for either you have to go get the ring from the Catacombs.

Plus you can still do well staying at the Sorc's default 15 Int and just using GMW, while keeping below SL 40, which has the bonus of giving you a decent mid-level invader for Depths and up.

I don't disagree with you. But it's not like any of these options will leave you struggling to do damage. :)

Oh yeah, I'm just saying that if you're going to go all the way with stat investment, you might as well go for the best possible buffs instead of CMW. You'd have to start as a Cleric or Bandit for it to be worthwhile, though. Either way, getting Sunlight Blade isn't that hard because if you're in the Catacombs getting the Great Scythe anyway, you could just swing over and grab the Seance Ring.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
gently caress This. Just going to wait three months till I can afford Live again and gang up on the fucks.

My character has plateaued. Using Great Magic Weapon is bullshit when I can't even get to the boss two thirds of the time, And when I do Solaire now just follows me around the room so I get hammered in the back, also it makes little difference to my attack power. All it's done is cost me time I could have spent on doing something else rather than trying to play a game I've already completed. Ugh. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 16, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

gently caress This. Just going to wait three months till I can afford Live again and gang up on the fucks.

My character has plateaued. Using Great Magic Weapon is bullshit when I can't even get to the boss two thirds of the time, And when I do Solaire now just follows me around the room so I get hammered in the back, also it makes little difference to my attack power. All it's done is cost me time I could have spent on doing something else rather than trying to play a game I've already completed. Ugh. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Dude. gently caress giving up.

Post your build on the character planner and we can sort you out. Cmon man. Dark Sooooooooooooooouls!

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can never decide whether to invest in stats or to take the ring of favour and protection... On the one hand that's a ring slot that could go towards a dragoncrest ring or the Cloranthy, wolf or dark wood ring. On the other hand its buffs are so good ...

What's people's opinions on it? Is it a crutch or is it just that amazing?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

double nine posted:

I can never decide whether to invest in stats or to take the ring of favour and protection... On the one hand that's a ring slot that could go towards a dragoncrest ring or the Cloranthy, wolf or dark wood ring. On the other hand its buffs are so good ...

I never use it unless I am playing at build that has a ridiculous stamina requirement.

Otherwise, I don't want to lose the ring slot, like you say.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

HaB posted:

Dude. gently caress giving up.

Post your build on the character planner and we can sort you out. Cmon man. Dark Sooooooooooooooouls!

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls

ugh alright, I'll do it when I get home tonight from work, but only because I won't be seeing my xbox for 2-3 months!

I did it before I went to work,

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=452218087718264429

Forgot to add the gloves and leggings http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=172172796721975927 Halp please? :gonk:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 18, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

double nine posted:

You'd have to be running a very specific build to not use the ROFAP. What are you even using the other ring slot for??

Uhhhhhh :stonk:
No wonder you were having trouble, oh jeez. To be honest, I'd suggest starting all over and not gently caress up your stats beyond belief (never ever level resistance or more than one magic stat, always start with a class that has 8 in the magic stat you won't use, and pick one combat stat to use while only leveling up the other to the bare minimum requirements for what you want to use).
You can SORTA salvage your build otherwise. Get your DEX to 45 (and not a point more) so you get maximum casting speed (although you usually never want to increase a stat over 40). Equip both casts of Great Magic Weapon, axe the Knight Shield because it's actually the worst shield in the game and replace it with a Kite Shield or Heater Shield, use an Oolacile Ivory Catalyst instead because it's lighter, get your weight down to 50% or lower because Fat Roll weight is probably what's killing you, and equip better rings like ROFAP, Havel's, or Chloranthy.

This is the best I can do, to be honest.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 18, 2014

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

ugh alright, I'll do it when I get home tonight from work, but only because I won't be seeing my xbox for 2-3 months!

I did it before I went to work,

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=452218087718264429

Forgot to add the gloves and leggings http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=172172796721975927 Halp please? :gonk:

Yikes.

K so - let's talk about some things. First - armor isn't doing you anywhere near the favor you think it's doing. Like Alabaster was saying - at least drop enough armor to get your roll speed to medium (between 25 and 50% of your weight allowance). But really what you need to do is learn to love the fastroll. The best way to compare all of them is to start a brand new character as a Knight. Run through the Undead Asylum until you get to the bonfire in the courtyard. At default gear, as soon as you pick up the Broken Straight Sword - you will be at Fat Roll speed. Run around in a few circles, rolling as you go. Watch your stamina bar. Next - take off your gloves. That will drop you down to Mid roll. Same thing: roll around a bit, see how it affects your stamina bar. Get a sense for how it feels different than Fat roll. Then, take off all your armor. Now you're Fast rolling. So the chief rule when Fast rolling is: don't get hit. But the upside is - you are much quicker and more nimble, so after a few practice rounds - it won't be a problem. Finish the Asylum naked and fight the Big Guy. Let him swing, roll out of the way, and poke him in the butt. You can dance all around him and he won't hit poo poo. I don't even know how it's possible to play at Fat Roll. It feels like I'm swimming in molasses. :( Plus - gently caress armor. Dress for LOOKS!

Second - this looks like a first character. I say that because it looks like you wanted to try everything, so you leveled all kinds of things. Like most RPGs, the characters in DS which do the best are usually specialists. So first - as already pointed out: never, EVER level Resistance. It's literally useless, so you're just throwing away points. Next: go to the inventory screen, highlight your Iaito, and check out the parts of the screen highlighted here:

The ParamBonus part indicates which stat(s) the weapon gets its damage from, and the letters indicate your "bang for the buck", meaning - for each point you spend in that stat, how much the weapon damage goes up. The other part is the minimum stats required to use the weapon at all. So the scaling letters run from E to A, low to high, then S for special - which is better than A. So your Iaito has a B in Dex. That means Dex is the ONLY stat which affects its damage output. So the rule of thumb is: get enough of the other stats to meet the minimums, then NEVER level the other stats, unless another piece of gear dictates it. So in your case, you took Str to 22. 14 is all you needed. The scaling stops at 40 for most stats, so spending more than that in Dex won't affect Weapon damage, tho it does affect spell casting speed as Alabaster pointed out.

As Alabaster already pointed out, except for very specific builds - don't ever level more than one magic stat. Pick Sorceries or Miracles and then ONLY level Int or Fth from there.

So yeah - your build is pretty jacked, but salvageable. I went with this:

http://mmdks.com/6t7y

All I did was drop the Chest/Gloves completely. Swap out Hornet ring for Lingering Dragoncrest (makes your weapon buffs last longer) Swap Legs to Sorc boots. Leave the Boar helm for looks. Switch shield to Heater, and catalyst to Oolacile Ivory. That puts you fast rolling. Now get in there and run circles around Tubs and Lanky! If you are still having trouble, kite them around the room while plinking away with the longbow. Cheesy, but it works.

PS. If you were wondering how jacked your build is: if I'm not doing a really specific build, my characters usually finish the game around SL 65-70. You're at 113 and still in basically the first THIRD of the game. :stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

PS. If you were wondering how jacked your build is: if I'm not doing a really specific build, my characters usually finish the game around SL 65-70. You're at 113 and still in basically the first THIRD of the game. :stare:

Luckily, he's actually on NG+. Although that begs the question of how he beat O&S the first time and is now having trouble when it's easier :confused:

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Dark Souls can be beaten at SL 1 so I wouldn't take your build too seriously unless you wanted something geared explicitly for PVP. Like, looking at your build, the most glaring thing was having the fat roll. Mobility is key for O&S.

HaB posted:

Yikes.

So yeah - your build is pretty jacked, but salvageable. I went with this:

http://mmdks.com/6t7y

Yeah, this is good. Heater Shield is deceptively really good, and really light. Only thing I'd really change is swapping out The Ring of Steel Protection. Havel's Ring or Ring of Favor and Protection give you more options for your armor load out which will either give you a better physical defense bonus than that or at least let you dress how you want to dress. Keep at it, man! These guys are pretty much the hardest or second hardest boss in the base game, so you'll be cruising after you beat them.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

You'd have to be running a very specific build to not use the ROFAP. What are you even using the other ring slot for??

Uhhhhhh :stonk:
No wonder you were having trouble, oh jeez. To be honest, I'd suggest starting all over and not gently caress up your stats beyond belief (never ever level resistance or more than one magic stat, always start with a class that has 8 in the magic stat you won't use, and pick one combat stat to use while only leveling up the other to the bare minimum requirements for what you want to use).
You can SORTA salvage your build otherwise. Get your DEX to 45 (and not a point more) so you get maximum casting speed (although you usually never want to increase a stat over 40). Equip both casts of Great Magic Weapon, axe the Knight Shield because it's actually the worst shield in the game and replace it with a Kite Shield or Heater Shield, use an Oolacile Ivory Catalyst instead because it's lighter, get your weight down to 50% or lower because Fat Roll weight is probably what's killing you, and equip better rings like ROFAP, Havel's, or Chloranthy.

This is the best I can do, to be honest.

Okay using ring of favour and havel's. Got my weight down to under 50%, Switched to cadence(?) Kite shield and ivory catalyst. And currently using a fully upgraded silver knight's sword just to cut through weaker stuff quickly. I shall quest for souls and the Black bow of pheros, I'd rather not have to go all the way back to the great hollow but it's not as bad as having to go all the way to the ash lake.

What's so bad about my stats? I completed the game before. What should i do after I hit this landmark for stats?

Edit: I just equipped all the ninja stuff! I'm literally leaping through the air!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Okay using ring of favour and havel's. Got my weight down to under 50%, Switched to cadence(?) Kite shield and ivory catalyst. And currently using a fully upgraded silver knight's sword just to cut through weaker stuff quickly. I shall quest for souls and the Black bow of pheros, I'd rather not have to go all the way back to the great hollow but it's not as bad as having to go all the way to the ash lake.

What's so bad about my stats? I completed the game before. What should i do after I hit this landmark for stats?

The Black Bow isn't really that important, although it is a massive upgrade over your current bow; it really depends on how much archery you do. Weight management is absolutely crucial in Dark Souls and being above 50% weight is a death sentence, so it's good you put on the END-increasing rings. The Caduceus Kite Shield is wonderful, and the Silver Knight Sword is top-tier as well.

I'm not implying you need to get those levels right now; I was just giving you a baseline to work towards. In Dark Souls, the best characters aren't decided by which stat is highest, but rather which stat is lowest. One misspent level will permanently make your character that much worse, and since co-op and PVP matchmaking is based on level, you'll end up at a disadvantage if you spend poorly, while not being able to participate whatsoever if you spend too much. Nearly everyone ends leveling at 120, as that is the 'agreed upon' end-game level: it gives everyone an even and reliable playing field, makes your character powerful without being overpowered and amazing at everything, and doesn't require that many souls since 120 is just before the level costs become prohibitive.

If you're wondering if you can salvage your character, you can't. Like, not at all. I can whip up a really good character based on any stat spread or equipment setup that you want, however, and you can start fresh and work towards that.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

The Black Bow isn't really that important, although it is a massive upgrade over your current bow; it really depends on how much archery you do. Weight management is absolutely crucial in Dark Souls and being above 50% weight is a death sentence, so it's good you put on the END-increasing rings. The Caduceus Kite Shield is wonderful, and the Silver Knight Sword is top-tier as well.

I'm not implying you need to get those levels right now; I was just giving you a baseline to work towards. In Dark Souls, the best characters aren't decided by which stat is highest, but rather which stat is lowest. One misspent level will permanently make your character that much worse, and since co-op and PVP matchmaking is based on level, you'll end up at a disadvantage if you spend poorly, while not being able to participate whatsoever if you spend too much. Nearly everyone ends leveling at 120, as that is the 'agreed upon' end-game level: it gives everyone an even and reliable playing field, makes your character powerful without being overpowered and amazing at everything, and doesn't require that many souls since 120 is just before the level costs become prohibitive.

If you're wondering if you can salvage your character, you can't. Like, not at all. I can whip up a really good character based on any stat spread or equipment setup that you want, however, and you can start fresh and work towards that.

is this all in terms of pvp? or story mode?

Edit: Ugh well something has gone horribly wrong, previously my longbow+10 would do 110 damage to the knight in the hall before O&S, now it does 50. My bow got shitter?

Well Smough now has a poo poo ton of arrows in him and is dead. Very worried that my arrow damage went down though :confused:

Cool damage on my bow had gone down and I now get completely devastated by the ghosts in londo ruins...and this is my new game +

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 18, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Can always wear it for a while then take it off when your stats are buffed enough. That's what I usually do.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Edit: I just equipped all the ninja stuff! I'm literally leaping through the air!

The Pharos bow is in the Catbro forest, not Great Hollow. You have to kill the archer NPC who is currently carrying it. When you enter the forest from the Seal of Artorias door, she's kinda 45 degrees to your front right. Careful, tho...She has a nearly invisible NPC buddy she tag teams with.

You'll know you're close to her when she starts plinking at you with arrows.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

HaB posted:

The Pharos bow is in the Catbro forest, not Great Hollow. You have to kill the archer NPC who is currently carrying it. When you enter the forest from the Seal of Artorias door, she's kinda 45 degrees to your front right. Careful, tho...She has a nearly invisible NPC buddy she tag teams with.

You'll know you're close to her when she starts plinking at you with arrows.

I have the bow, it's not as strong as my old one as I can only upgrade it to +5 at the mo and my longbow is +10. The problem is the damage I did with my +10 bow has actually decreased somehow. Like I said, previous the silver knight in the hall before O&S received 110 damage now he only receives 50. Same with the giants in the hall, I could snipe them at 72 average damage, now it's down to 30. what the actual gently caress?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I have the bow, it's not as strong as my old one as I can only upgrade it to +5 at the mo and my longbow is +10. The problem is the damage I did with my +10 bow has actually decreased somehow. Like I said, previous the silver knight in the hall before O&S received 110 damage now he only receives 50. Same with the giants in the hall, I could snipe them at 72 average damage, now it's down to 30. what the actual gently caress?

item degratation? Go repair the thing at a blacksmith's.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Oh. I'm not a fan of either of the Long Bows anyway. For Dex builds I use the Composite Bow. The greater fire rate makes up for slightly lower damage.

But yeah that's weird. Check repair status like double nine mentioned.

But the Black Bow has S scaling for Dex, while I think the Longbow's is only C or something. So it should be outpacing the Long Bow fairly quickly. Did you switch arrow types? Wooden Arrows do a lot less damage than regular.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Completely off topic to the current discussion, but I have to say I like crossbows.

Thing is, I know everybody says that they're completely worthless, but they do so much good for me. In the early game the light crossbow you find on the balcony does pretty good safe damage for the early areas. By the time it drops off you've already found the heavy crossbow, which does entirely decent damage. Sure you can't aim it but it staggers well enough that you can use it in close range in PvE, and if you're doing PvP you're using a katana so who gives a poo poo what you think.

Also led to a funny fight in Anor Londo. Some dickwratih invaded my host and tried to gank us in the main foyer, with the giants. I charge at him and start kicking his rear end. He responds by going 'oh poo poo he knows what he's doing' and runs off to try and backstab the host. Got a bolt in the back for his trouble.

poo poo, now I'm gonna have to go back to Demon's to test crossbow's and bows in that game too.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flytrap posted:

Completely off topic to the current discussion, but I have to say I like crossbows.

Thing is, I know everybody says that they're completely worthless, but they do so much good for me. In the early game the light crossbow you find on the balcony does pretty good safe damage for the early areas. By the time it drops off you've already found the heavy crossbow, which does entirely decent damage. Sure you can't aim it but it staggers well enough that you can use it in close range in PvE, and if you're doing PvP you're using a katana so who gives a poo poo what you think.

Also led to a funny fight in Anor Londo. Some dickwratih invaded my host and tried to gank us in the main foyer, with the giants. I charge at him and start kicking his rear end. He responds by going 'oh poo poo he knows what he's doing' and runs off to try and backstab the host. Got a bolt in the back for his trouble.

poo poo, now I'm gonna have to go back to Demon's to test crossbow's and bows in that game too.

Anyone who told you crossbows are worthless is as wrong as wrong can be wrong.

I've done an entire crossbow RUN. A +15 in one hand and a Lightning +5 in the other.

This was kind of the base on the build, but it's been a while: http://mmdks.com/6tn2

Was a fun run, tho.

Edit: oops forgot to include Power Within as a spell.

Edit 2: forgot that crossbows don't scale with Dex. Remembered the spell this time, too.

HaB fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

HaB posted:

Anyone who told you crossbows are worthless is as wrong as wrong can be wrong.

I've done an entire crossbow RUN. A +15 in one hand and a Lightning +5 in the other.

This was kind of the base on the build, but it's been a while: http://mmdks.com/6tim

Was a fun run, tho.

Edit: oops forgot to include Power Within as a spell.

Huh. I'm curious, what's the point of 40Dex in that build?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Killed Gwyn with a dodgy build. Felt pretty proud of myself. :clint:

Now, of course, someone will post a screenshot of doing that with fatroll and calamity ring and make me feel like poo poo.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flytrap posted:

Oops. Yeah it really has been a while.

I was thinking that crossbows scaled with Dex like bows. Ihave done a bow only build as well. So yeah - make that 14 Dex instead to use Avelyn.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Flytrap posted:

Us talking about it made me want to go try that run again, since I haven't really played DS much at all the past few months.

Been fun so far. Had a really great summon. Pulled in a Sunbro in the Burg who got the idea immediately and took off his armor and switched to a crossbow. It was fun as hell teaming up on poo poo.

:)

I had forgotten how much crossbows will straight up MISS at really close range. So you gotta be careful. If you are relying on a final bolt to save you from a weapon poke it will go right over his shoulder if you're not careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

I just picked this up and want to play through it p. much blind, but I have a few mechanical questions:

I found the DS fix mod, but is there anything else necessary to make the game not behave like a terrible PC port?
And the wierd default shoulder button mapping, switching that to something more comfortable won't cripple me later in the game, will it?

• Locked thread