Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bass Bottles posted:

Being summoned into other people's worlds is a fun change of pace from dying on my own, even if I've only been part of a successful run once.

Also got to see the area at night time, which was neat.

Oh it's neat. If you're a MURDERER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HaB posted:

Oh it's neat. If you're a MURDERER.

That's what happens when you take the massive chest.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

since i think i forgot to do it when i killed him i just want to say that gwyndolin is the most annoying boss in the game and i hate him and if killing his fake sister makes him mad then im happy about it

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm not sure what SL is (Soul Level?) but I'm lvl 49 playing on 360.

I'd be happy to give you a hand.

GT is ZombieSecurity

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Awesome! posted:

since i think i forgot to do it when i killed him i just want to say that gwyndolin is the most annoying boss in the game and i hate him and if killing his fake sister makes him mad then im happy about it

He is a pushover, you just have to learn to distinguish the huge tells for his attacks and he only has three.

Rises up: he will shoot bursts of arrows, slalom back and forth while sprinting or hide behind a pillar
Lifts his wand and holds it up for a moment: he will fire a big magic orb which looks scary and hits hard but is easy to roll through. Don't hide behind pillars, doesn't work.
Anything else: a bunch of homing magic bullets, they move pretty slowly so you can dodge or sprint past them but the pillars also block them.

As long as you have a +10 or better weapon he will go down within three or four teleports so you only have to avoid maybe a dozen attacks. I guess where people go wrong with him is that they stand off him too much and wait to see what he will do and get gunned down at range, when really he's a wimp and if you get into his face you can wipe the floor with him.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt have a problem with his attacks. i had a problem actually hitting him before he teleported away like a little bitch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Awesome! posted:

i didnt have a problem with his attacks. i had a problem actually hitting him before he teleported away like a little bitch

Even with fast weapons this happens to me a lot. He's really annoying to hit sometimes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea i realize now i should have probably used something other than my huge windup gargoyle halberd.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'd be happy to give you a hand.

GT is ZombieSecurity

Thanks, but I ending up beating O&S last night with the help of a kind stranger, after another kind stranger gifted me a bunch of humanity. :)

Now I'm kind of.... fighting giant cats in the darkroot woods, I think? I'm not sure if this is the right place to go next but I managed to take one out.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Awesome! posted:

yea i realize now i should have probably used something other than my huge windup gargoyle halberd.

running attack. he is actually my favorite boss since it turns the gameplay upside down into a friggin' bullet hell. drat I wish he had more attack and more health. Gwyndolin is a testament to the creativity behind dark souls.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

Thanks, but I ending up beating O&S last night with the help of a kind stranger, after another kind stranger gifted me a bunch of humanity. :)

Now I'm kind of.... fighting giant cats in the darkroot woods, I think? I'm not sure if this is the right place to go next but I managed to take one out.

You'll need to do that eventually so might as well do it now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Stargate posted:

You'll need to do that eventually so might as well do it now.
He doesn't need to fight the rollcats.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

He doesn't need to fight the rollcats.

Yeah my bad, he'll need to do what they're guarding though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So obviously I spent hours searching for a shortcut to Sif and then beat him on my first try. Not gonna complain though :) That was a badass boss also.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

So obviously I spent hours searching for a shortcut to Sif and then beat him on my first try. Not gonna complain though :) That was a badass boss also.

I don't like Sif. Here I am, just trying to do some casual graverobbing and then suddenly she jumps out of nowhere and tries to loving cleave me in half! What a jerk!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

New Londo Ruins is definitely the most obnoxious area in the game. Mob enemies with a long reach that can warp through walls and require a consumable item with a time limit to defeat. Also the framerate is somehow worse than Blighttown. It's like I'm walking through water even when I'm not :(

But on a positive note I accidentally discovered Firelink Altar by trying to jump on Frampt's head.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 27, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The thing about New Londo's ghosts is, if you cut them off at their source it's not too bad. Most of the ghosts that ambush you in enclosed spaces start far outside the buildings, and you can clear them from the outside before going in.

edit:

Bass Bottles posted:

But on a positive note I accidentally discovered Firelink Altar by trying to jump on Frampt's head.
Haha that's awesome. Also don't be like me and think that you need a transient curse to be able to fight the Four Kings. You don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still maintain that the most fun thing to do in Dark Souls after an entire game of managing weight and poise and stamina is to get to the Four Kings, throw on Iron Flesh, two hand your weapon, and Get Huge.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://imgur.com/a/l4X5t

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Nearly 4 years later, the game is still giving back. :allears:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Love that attention to detail. I guess this settles the question, Undead do go doo doo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Love that attention to detail. I guess this settles the question, Undead do go doo doo.

No, it's undead doo doo. Every time the chamber pot is emptied, the doo appears back in it. Just like how broken things reset when you die. Undead do not poop.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The Four Kings are very bad. It is an unpleasant chore to fight them :nsamad:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a high level pyro glove makes them a joke if you want to get a little cheesy

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't have much INT so I don't think I'm capable of that? I have the glove but no idea how to use it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pyromancy doesnt scale on int it only depends on the level of the glove and your dex for casting speed

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

to use it you just equip the glove in a weapon/shield slot, put some pyro spells in your attunement slots and you're off

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Another way to cheese them is the tank method. Put on the Havel armour, 2-hand your strongest weapon, and just run up and swing away. Estus as needed. During each King's death animation, keep swinging because it will continue to knock health off the bar. The only real attack you need to watch for is the grab, so watch for them to spin in a circle and beware.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the big magic missile hurts a lot too. block with crest shield

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bass Bottles posted:

Use Power Within, tank up, get up close and keep swinging until it looks like they're going to do a grab or explosion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just sidestep to the left.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

to use it you just equip the glove in a weapon/shield slot, put some pyro spells in your attunement slots and you're off

Brought my glove up to +6 with fireball but it didn't do much damage. I guess that's not high enough? :(

double nine posted:

Just sidestep to the left.

This doesn't work with the undodge-able purple laser bomb attacks. Or when a second King does a huge slice attack out of nowhere while you try to heal :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

max is 15 (e: and you can ascend it too, forgot about that) so you still have some room. dont use fireball use combustion/greater combustion since you want to be right up inside the kings anyway. also make sure to use bellowing dragon crest ring and crown of dusk

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 1, 2015

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Brought my glove up to +6 with fireball but it didn't do much damage. I guess that's not high enough? :(

Instead of fireball, try Great Combustion or Combustion. They're very short range but pack way more punch.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Zombie Guy posted:

Instead of fireball, try Great Combustion or Combustion. They're very short range but pack way more punch.

Or even better, black flame if you've got access to the dlc.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So I got my fire glove to +10, but it still does almost no damage. Also I noticed that the stats don't actually increase when I level it up. They're still 00 00 00 00 40 00 00

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bass Bottles posted:

So I got my fire glove to +10, but it still does almost no damage. Also I noticed that the stats don't actually increase when I level it up. They're still 00 00 00 00 40 00 00
The stat you care about is MagAdjust.

Are you using the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Dusk Crown, and Power Within while casting Great Combustion?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah if you're still using Fireball - don't.

Combustion you can get from Larry at Firelink. Great Combustion is more involved. Now that you have a +10 Glove, Go down to the bottom of Blighttown, when you get off the elevator, head over towards where Queelag was. You'll see a new friend sitting down at the base of one of the columns. Talk to her.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HaB posted:

Yeah if you're still using Fireball - don't.

Combustion you can get from Larry at Firelink. Great Combustion is more involved. Now that you have a +10 Glove, Go down to the bottom of Blighttown, when you get off the elevator, head over towards where Queelag was. You'll see a new friend sitting down at the base of one of the columns. Talk to her.

Okay.

Died three times now just trying to get back to the stupid swamp. Why does this game fake you out with fast travel and then barely let you go anywhere? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can port to quelaag's sister's bonfire

• Locked thread