Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Artorias ain't got poo poo on Manus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Manus is easier than Artorias, he just has a couple nasty tricks he'll bust out right before you kill him.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Getting Artorias is always a thing. Don't matter how many times you've done it...if you're doing it again better hope you already got gud

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

And maintain said gud-ness for what always seems like forever but is actualy what 3 to 5 mins?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Manus is easier than Artorias, he just has a couple nasty tricks he'll bust out right before you kill him.

i think the big thing is the fights require (at least for me) a completely different mindset almost. artorias is fast, always in your face and requires constant movement while manus is a slower more deliberate fight. the best way i found to do it is to hang back and bait/punish attacks so you are never really in range for his rage combo to catch you. when i tried to fight manus like artorias i would do fine for awhile and then inevitably he would catch me with that combo, every time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Artorias is much easier imo because it's pretty easy to bait out his easy-to-dodge moves (all his gap closers). Manus will do whatever the gently caress he wants, whenever the gently caress he wants and you just gotta deal with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Jesus christ gently caress manus. No one throwing down summon signs there either. If I get the timing right on his melee attacks he throws off that tantrum with no warning. If I try to bait melee attacks and rush in he starts throwing magic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Jesus christ gently caress manus. No one throwing down summon signs there either. If I get the timing right on his melee attacks he throws off that tantrum with no warning. If I try to bait melee attacks and rush in he starts throwing magic.

The tantrum actually has a big warning, it's his most obvious attack by far

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres an item in the dlc area you can use to block his magic (i thought it made the fight easier) but you can also just roll through it all which other people suggest.

i found that i never really wanted to be in melee range because he will snap into that combo really fast and i sucked at getting out. i tried to stay at about mid range to bait out his overhead slam attack which is really easy to dodge once you get the delay (for me it was see his arm raise, count to 2, dodge to the side) and he leaves it there for a second so you can get a couple pokes in if you are quick. that was basically the whole fight. dodge all his garbage, punish that attack and maybe his jump and dont get greedy. stay calm and patient.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Awesome! posted:

theres an item in the dlc area you can use to block his magic (i thought it made the fight easier) but you can also just roll through it all which other people suggest.

i found that i never really wanted to be in melee range because he will snap into that combo really fast and i sucked at getting out. i tried to stay at about mid range to bait out his overhead slam attack which is really easy to dodge once you get the delay (for me it was see his arm raise, count to 2, dodge to the side) and he leaves it there for a second so you can get a couple pokes in if you are quick. that was basically the whole fight. dodge all his garbage, punish that attack and maybe his jump and dont get greedy. stay calm and patient.

I already have the silver pendant, but I'll try baiting his leap attack. I read it's also good to wait until he's at half health to summon Sif so that Sif can tank his magic instead of dying before you get to that point.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Awesome! posted:

Also, maybe it's obvious to everyone but me, but you can just jam the button and the Silver Pendant will shield you through the entire attack. I thought it was some sort of tight timing thing for the longest time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i always hit the pendant twice for each magic attack and it shields all the way through with no issues

also maybe obvious but i removed all my other quick use items so i only had to switch between estus and pendant

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Beat my first invader in Township (and got 27k souls for it, holy cow) but even with a summon Manus wiped me. I got him down to about 1/3 but he grabbed me off guard with a leap straight into a tantrum while I was chugging estus to heal my summon.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if it makes you feel better i found manus terribly difficult and took a break for like a week before i got back to it and learned it. hardest boss in the game for me

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Hello everyone. I'm just now getting into this due to the Steam sale a few months ago, and the honeymoon being over with Legion.

My first thought was to go for a Thief starting out (Master Key and Pendant) and then swap over to a Priest caster. Do Priests have viable caster options? Or should I look at going Pyromancer and setting everything on fire? (And maybe looking at the Grave Lord? Covenant because Nito looks awesome.)

Is this a viable idea, or am I setting myself up for even more death, misery and frustration than a normal DrS play through?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pendant doesn't do anything, if you prefer to be a cleric you might as well do that and pick Master Key as your gift. Master key isn't very useful for a first playthrough though.

Clerics aren't really attack casters. They do have some good damage dealing spells but you have to leap through some hoops to get them. They're more focused on melee and support spells. If you want to be an attack caster then Sorcerer starts out weak but has the potential to become insanely strong. Pyro is a bit more of a melee/caster hybrid but can also become really good, it's my favorite starting class.

Covenant doesn't really matter. If you go with Nito you'll get a cool miracle, but good luck getting any multiplayer action as a Gravelord Servant at this point.

Go with whatever starting class you want to play though. None of them is so bad that you'd be advised not to pick them, and all of them can be built in any direction you find interesting. Classes aren't very significant choice overall. You're going to die a lot no matter what.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GoingPostal posted:

Is this a viable idea, or am I setting myself up for even more death, misery and frustration than a normal DrS play through?

quote:

My first thought was to go for a Thief starting out (Master Key and Pendant)
Thief is just about the worst starting class for a first-time player, and the Master Key is probably not the best choice your first time either, because it will allow you to get in over your head.

quote:

and then swap over to a Priest caster. Do Priests have viable caster options?
The bread-and-butter of offensive faith casters is in a place that a new player will have trouble reaching, and might completely overlook.

quote:

Or should I look at going Pyromancer and setting everything on fire?
Yes, with the caveat that the higher-end stuff is easy to miss

quote:

(And maybe looking at the Grave Lord? Covenant because Nito looks awesome.)
Gravelording is for NG+ and is mostly broken.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Gravelord sword is totally worth that covenant all on its own imo

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

skasion posted:

Master key isn't very useful for a first playthrough though.
Innocently wandering into Valley of the Drakes as you are stumbling around looking for which way to go to progress on a first playthrough is a purestrain Dark Souls experience, and should be encouraged.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

GoingPostal posted:

Hello everyone. I'm just now getting into this due to the Steam sale a few months ago, and the honeymoon being over with Legion.

My first thought was to go for a Thief starting out (Master Key and Pendant) and then swap over to a Priest caster. Do Priests have viable caster options? Or should I look at going Pyromancer and setting everything on fire? (And maybe looking at the Grave Lord? Covenant because Nito looks awesome.)

You should also realize that nothing in the game is class-specific, so you can add Pyromancy to any class. By class-specific, I mean - you will never encounter a weapon/item which say, only a Cleric can use. Same with Spells/Miracles/Pyromancies. If you have the stats for something, you can use it. Miracles need Faith and a Talisman, Sorceries need Intelligence and a Catalyst, and Pyro just needs a flame. All of the items listed there (Talisman, Catalyst, Pyro Flame) can either be purchased from vendors as soon as you have passed the "tutorial" boss, or found within the first quarter of the game.

Agreeing that Thief is probably not a great idea for a first playthrough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I've been sick this past week, and revisiting this game. I never actually managed to finish a second playthrough, and so far I've got a character who's gotten stuck going up against Nito. Nobody really likes to hang out there to get summoned and help it seems. Any advice there?

I've got another character who I went through the whole nine yards with to preserve Solaire, I normally scrimp on humanity, but with this character I spent it all getting to chaos servant +2. 'Course, the elevator didn't activate after I beat the first dude in the Demon Ruins, so I went and killed the big butt demon and decided to knock out the centipede demon while I was at it because that ring sure is handy. After that I went to kill the sunlight maggots, and it was going fine until Solaire snuck up behind me. He wasn't there when I opened the door! Did he follow me or something? I turned off my console in shock, is there any way to recover?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Awesome! posted:

if it makes you feel better i found manus terribly difficult and took a break for like a week before i got back to it and learned it. hardest boss in the game for me
Manus is a really hard fight, I just found him easier than Artorias. I would rate boss difficulty:

1. Artorias
2. Manus
3. Ornstein And Smough
4. Gwyn
5. Capra Demon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You could swap Ornstein and Gwyn too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I've been sick this past week, and revisiting this game. I never actually managed to finish a second playthrough, and so far I've got a character who's gotten stuck going up against Nito. Nobody really likes to hang out there to get summoned and help it seems. Any advice there?

I've got another character who I went through the whole nine yards with to preserve Solaire, I normally scrimp on humanity, but with this character I spent it all getting to chaos servant +2. 'Course, the elevator didn't activate after I beat the first dude in the Demon Ruins, so I went and killed the big butt demon and decided to knock out the centipede demon while I was at it because that ring sure is handy. After that I went to kill the sunlight maggots, and it was going fine until Solaire snuck up behind me. He wasn't there when I opened the door! Did he follow me or something? I turned off my console in shock, is there any way to recover?

People don't usually put signs down for Nito because he's not very hard. What exactly is giving you trouble about him? My quick and dirty guide to Nito is:

-make sure you're fastrolling and have a good 100% shield
-as soon as you drop down, listen for the high pitched scream, this is the tell for his magic sword attack. It can be fastrolled through. Might take a couple of attempts to get the timing right.
-be close to Nito, but try to stay in the area where you first dropped down. There's resurrecting giant skeletons hanging out in the back of his arena who will make the fight very hard if you aggrieve them.
-get in around Nito's feet and most of his attacks will kill the little skeletons before they can do you too much harm. But keep your shield ready just in case you come under pressure from them.
-his aoe explosion can be blocked with a good shield, but if you can retreat back into the alcove where you first dropped down that's a good place to be too.
-when in doubt just whale on his ankles. He's not very healthy and most of his attacks are more dangerous to the skellies than they are to you.

In re Solaire, did you enter Lost Izalith at all before you killed the maggot? That can break Solaire's quest iirc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

skasion posted:

People don't usually put signs down for Nito because he's not very hard. What exactly is giving you trouble about him? My quick and dirty guide to Nito is:

-make sure you're fastrolling and have a good 100% shield
-as soon as you drop down, listen for the high pitched scream, this is the tell for his magic sword attack. It can be fastrolled through. Might take a couple of attempts to get the timing right.
-be close to Nito, but try to stay in the area where you first dropped down. There's resurrecting giant skeletons hanging out in the back of his arena who will make the fight very hard if you aggrieve them.
-get in around Nito's feet and most of his attacks will kill the little skeletons before they can do you too much harm. But keep your shield ready just in case you come under pressure from them.
-his aoe explosion can be blocked with a good shield, but if you can retreat back into the alcove where you first dropped down that's a good place to be too.
-when in doubt just whale on his ankles. He's not very healthy and most of his attacks are more dangerous to the skellies than they are to you.

In re Solaire, did you enter Lost Izalith at all before you killed the maggot? That can break Solaire's quest iirc.

as far as the skeletons, they do permadie if you use a holy weapon/silver knight spear, so that's another option if you feel like you need room to move.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

go heavy armor and tank his bullshit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

as far as the skeletons, they do permadie if you use a holy weapon/silver knight spear, so that's another option if you feel like you need room to move.

This is true, but if you have a decent divine weapon you're probably not having trouble with Nito to begin with.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Put on the highest poise armor you have, kindle the bonfire, and just ignore the skeletons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the advice. Fast rolling wasn't really an option for this character, since I built her around greatshields and a giant weapon, but the advice to stay back helped, and I just tanked the magic damage and believed in myself, and I made it through,

I have a bad habit of always jonesing for a summon before most boss fights, and I forgot how much less health that they have when you go it alone.

skasion posted:

I may have peeked over there to see a sad Solaire before I went off to ruin his day further by taking away his sun. :( I wanted to see Solaire at the end, and this character had a tough time with Artorias, so I'm a little apprehensive of taking him to Gwynn alone.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

FactsAreUseless posted:

Manus is a really hard fight, I just found him easier than Artorias. I would rate boss difficulty:

1. Artorias
2. Manus
3. Ornstein And Smough
4. Gwyn
5. Capra Demon

soloing O&S on NG+ is when you know you've made it as a Dark Souls player

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Thanks for the advice. Fast rolling wasn't really an option for this character, since I built her around greatshields and a giant weapon, but the advice to stay back helped, and I just tanked the magic damage and believed in myself, and I made it through,

I have a bad habit of always jonesing for a summon before most boss fights, and I forgot how much less health that they have when you go it alone.

I may have peeked over there to see a sad Solaire before I went off to ruin his day further by taking away his sun. :( I wanted to see Solaire at the end, and this character had a tough time with Artorias, so I'm a little apprehensive of taking him to Gwynn alone.

You can still talk to sad Solaire without breaking his questline. It's the appearance of the words "Lost Izalith" as you enter the area which is the point of no return. But no - there is no way to recover. :( RIP Solaire I'm sure someone here will come sunbro for Gwyn. If you're playing on PS3, I will. If you're on PC I can't help.

For Nito I always downgrade the Occult Club you get in Anor Londo to +5 Divine and kill the small Skeletons with it- usually before Nito has even made it over to me, then as long as you don't aggro the Giant Skeletons, he's easy-peasy.

hawaiian_robot posted:

soloing O&S on NG+ is when you know you've made it as a Dark Souls player

My secret shame for the longest time was that I had never solo'd O&S. :ohdear: At the very least I always summoned Solaire. I finally did it on probably my 20th playthrough, an a couple of times since then. But yes - it feels like man-mode when you pull it off. Same with parrying Havel which feels like INSTANT man-mode and causes you to instantly grow 4 inches of chest hair.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
On the other hand while I've spent hours and hours dying to a large number of Souls bosses throughout the games (for some reason DS3 had more of them than any other for me), I did OnS completely solo on my first try. Not using any spells, since I know Sorcery can trivialize it quite a bit, it was a fairly generic light-armor fast-rolling character with balanced str and dex, can't remember the weapon. I'd never seen anyone else do the fight before either, although I had been spoiled with pictures of OnS so I knew it was a 2-boss fight with a fatty and a spearman.

Felt good after dying 43 times in a row to Capra Demon.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 7, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I beat every boss solo my first time because I didn't understand you had to be human to summon. Then I realized it's way more fun to win by your own merit so I beat every boss solo since :v:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

After doing it alone I hang out and get summoned by others. And on the following runs I'll summon people cos it's a sunbro thing and they need those medals

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think co-op makes these games exponentially more fun, so I like to summon even if I don't need it, and also be summoned.

Part of the strength of Dark Souls is that it adapts fairly well to however you choose to play it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 7, 2016

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Everyone posted:

Solaire

There's a secret to keeping Solaire alive without changing your covenant or using humanity, and I never see anyone mention it. Just don't talk to him at Anor Londo. He won't go anywhere until you do. Then he won't be in Izalith, so you can clear out the bugs safely and go back to Anor Londo to move him along. This works for me every time I do it.

It probably works even better if you just leave him at the dragon bridge, but you can get the White Soapstone from him and still pull it off.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just cast poison mist through the closed door/wall where the bugs are in the other side. Kills em and my buddy Solaire never gets... whatever it is that happens to him. Poor man.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Charles Bukowski posted:

I just cast poison mist through the closed door/wall where the bugs are in the other side. Kills em and my buddy Solaire never gets... whatever it is that happens to him. Poor man.
If you don't make the circuit to the other side of the door without dying, though, you'll lose the hat.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charles Bukowski posted:

The bugs are parasites that drive their host insane. Also make for a spiffy reading light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

If you don't make the circuit to the other side of the door without dying, though, you'll lose the hat.

I don't think I ever died trying to get it, but I see your point. I also put that section off forever and do the Tomb with just a skull lantern.

• Locked thread