Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bland posted:

You know at first I was annoyed that I never got to try the PvP stuff because it didn't work but I've just been summoned to the forest twice and I'm not sure I want to PvP at all now. Magic is completely worthless on an enemy that can move a few spaces to the right so that's the entire strong point of my character unusable and when I try to fight them with my weapon I find that when I strafe around and stab them in the back it just bounce off their shield yet their frontal attacks sometimes go right through my shield. PvP just doesn't seem to work in any capacity
Most people get really jumpy whenever they see a catalyst or pyro hand come out, so you can't expect them to stand still while you're casting. In PvP you need to bait your opponent to attack, or get them in a situation where they have no way to dodge, and then cast your spell. Playing a spellcaster is more about mindgames and strategy than just bruteforce chopping dudes up.

Its true that PvP isn't really that balanced though, and some builds just straight up are not viable. Its supposed to be kind of a diversion instead of some huge competitive thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Neat little thing I discovered: if a boss is kicking your arse and you want to go off and get some seasoning or new gear, but you left a buttload of souls in the boss area, go in, pick them up, then back up into the fog gate as much as possible. Let the boss kill you, then respawn and return to the gate. The bloodstain should be just about visible. Walk up, switch from "Traverse white light" to "Recover lost power" and boom, all your souls back without heading inside (I'd like to give a big gently caress you to O&S for helping me to discover this little trick, and hope they enjoyed taking a tron disc to the face. Burn in hell you crazy cats).

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm approaching the end of my game now, the only boss I have before the final showdown is Nito. I've got a few things I'd like to do though.

How do I get to Gwyndolin in Anor Londo? I'd hate to think I missed out on a single boss when I finish up.
I should be able to join every covenant (for trophies obviously, since the whole covenant implementation barely functions for me) except one because I did what I was told with the Lord Vessel.
And I guess once I'm done with Nito I can kill all the Firekeepers to upgrade my Estus Flask as much as possible before a NG+. Who do I need to kill for this?

And that should be me I guess. My guide should arrive today hopefully, just in time for me to finish the game, haha.

Edit: How does this Cats Ring work? Can I be anywhere and still be summoned to the Forest? Nothing has happened so far when I've been wearing it. I was kinda hoping to get my rings before breaking this particular covenant.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 15, 2011

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Would anyone mind giving me a nudge in the right direction? Quite frankly i dont know where to start, i enjoy the new freedom that this game has compared to Demons Souls, but im kinda banging my head against the wall during the start here, does anyone have a good way to get a more pleasant start and some things that are clever to do when starting out?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dongattack posted:

Would anyone mind giving me a nudge in the right direction? Quite frankly i dont know where to start, i enjoy the new freedom that this game has compared to Demons Souls, but im kinda banging my head against the wall during the start here, does anyone have a good way to get a more pleasant start and some things that are clever to do when starting out?

How far in are you?

After the tutorial, head up the stairs from firelink shrine and clear out the undead burg. There are lots of hidden items and stuff to find. There's not really much else to say for the beginning of the game other than "kill stuff and progress forwards", it's a great opportunity to work on your parries and ripostes v:shobon:v

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there any way I can rush to to the gravelord sword at level 1? That would be fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wish you could still rate people negatively after working with them. I just got summoned to be backstabbed by a black phantom.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

How far in are you?

After the tutorial, head up the stairs from firelink shrine and clear out the undead burg. There are lots of hidden items and stuff to find. There's not really much else to say for the beginning of the game other than "kill stuff and progress forwards", it's a great opportunity to work on your parries and ripostes v:shobon:v

Yeah, thats where i am. I was hoping for something like "go to 5-1 get the mace, go to 4-1 and kill kill", but oh well :)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Hmm. Okay. Starting this game, there's some items you can pick up to make this game a lot easier right after the tutorial, before you fight your first real enemy.

For everyone:
- There's a hidden nook in the Firelink Shrine with some treasure chests. Find Petrus of Thorolund (the dude standing by himself in the Shrine) and head up the stairs. You'll find a place with two empty shafts; drop down and you'll find the chests.
- Either by heading out from the area in Firelink or dropping down from the place with the treasure chests, you'll get to a graveyard with skeletons. Fighting them isn't really practical at this point but you can make some suicide runs for free stuff, including a Winged Spear (a great weapon if you start with the 13 STR/15 DEX to use it) and an okay shield for the classes that start with crappy shields.
- To the left of the rear end in a top hat tutorial NPC at the Firelink bonfire is a difficult-to-see staircase. Head down it and find another staircase down; you'll eventually reach a room with an elevator leading down to New Londo Ruins. Down there you can find an Estoc (10 STR, 12 DEX, awesome weapon). If you cross the bridge you'll get destroyed by invincible ghosts, but there's an item in the water--a Firekeeper's Soul. Bring it to the girl in the cage at Firelink to permanently upgrade your Estus Flasks (I can't really describe the route, check Youtube if you have to).

If you have a Master Key (gift or being a Thief):
- In New Londo Ruins, next to the elevator you came from, there's another house with a gate you can open with the keys. If you take the plank bridge and make a left, you'll reach a sleeping bone dragon with two items in his hands. He'll wake up and murder you when you grab one, but...
The far item from the way you came is a Dragon Shield. It requires only 10 STR and has amazing stats for a shield this early in the game--100% phys damage reduction, 85% fire, and okay hit resistance.
The near item is an enchanted longsword. It requires 10 STR/10 DEX/14 Faith, but if you're planning on pumping faith and/or are a Cleric, it's a huge step up from normal weapons.

EDIT: The master key makes life so much easier. Not only for the free stuff, but having it lets you skip the worst zone a bit later in the game. If you're really just after the tutorial, I might actually consider restarting for it.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 15, 2011

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is there any way I can rush to to the gravelord sword at level 1? That would be fun
I don't see why not... I mean of course it would be an exercise in frustration since you'd have to dodge all the skeletons to get there, and also somehow dodge those loving pinwheel skeletons, but yeah other than that it seems possible to do. Possible, and really unfun and frustrating.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

Neat little thing I discovered: if a boss is kicking your arse and you want to go off and get some seasoning or new gear, but you left a buttload of souls in the boss area, go in, pick them up, then back up into the fog gate as much as possible. Let the boss kill you, then respawn and return to the gate. The bloodstain should be just about visible. Walk up, switch from "Traverse white light" to "Recover lost power" and boom, all your souls back without heading inside (I'd like to give a big gently caress you to O&S for helping me to discover this little trick, and hope they enjoyed taking a tron disc to the face. Burn in hell you crazy cats).
Alternatively: Run in to boss, grab souls, run away from boss. Start, L1, X, Up, X, Left, X (or equivalent for 360). When you load the game you'll be standing in front of the fog door to the boss.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

EDIT: The master key makes life so much easier. Not only for the free stuff, but having it lets you skip the worst zone a bit later in the game. If you're really just after the tutorial, I might actually consider restarting for it.

I guess you're talking about Blighttown? I enjoyed that part, while there are good few other parts I outright loving hate. At least Blighttown felt fair, and there was a clear sense of progression as you figured things out and got better at it, performance issues aside.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is the orange charred ring not a guaranteed drop from the demon centipede? I killed him but I can't find the loving thing anywhere which is a real bitch because as far as I can tell it's required to reach the chaos ember.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Is the orange charred ring not a guaranteed drop from the demon centipede? I killed him but I can't find the loving thing anywhere which is a real bitch because as far as I can tell it's required to reach the chaos ember.

You get it for cutting it's arm off iirc. Check your inventory

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

andrew smash posted:

It is not. Rock a heavy fire res set+ fire stoneplate ring, I ran in and back out without dying using the gold hem stuff, be it barely.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

andrew smash posted:

I must be a 100% drop, because it's basically a key required to get to the next area.

deadtear posted:

It is not. Rock a heavy fire res set+ fire stoneplate ring, I ran in and back out without dying using the gold hem stuff, be it barely.

How is Lost Izalith possible without it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well poo poo, there it is. I never saw a popup saying anything about it and so I ran around in circles looking for an item glowy thing.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Leyburn posted:

I was referring only to the chaos ember, I've not yet done izalith so I have no idea.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well then. Lost Izalith is loving bullshit

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

andrew smash posted:

Well then. Lost Izalith is loving bullshit

Yeah I worked my way through it this morning. Absolute crap. I love the location of the area though, under the massive stone dome in the Demons' Ruins.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leyburn posted:

I guess you're talking about Blighttown? I enjoyed that part, while there are good few other parts I outright loving hate. At least Blighttown felt fair, and there was a clear sense of progression as you figured things out and got better at it, performance issues aside.

Actually, Blighttown is actually a pretty interesting zone which rewards skilled and careful play, even if it's a bit annoying. I just hate it anyway because it brings my PS3 to its knees.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm so goddamned frustrated by Amor Londo. It went from poo poo I can kill to poo poo that just destroys me after the first bonfire and now I'm stuck because I dropped off a ledge to get there. Any tips?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Reiterpallasch posted:

Hmm. Okay. Starting this game, there's some items you can pick up to make this game a lot easier right after the tutorial, before you fight your first real enemy.

For everyone:
- There's a hidden nook in the Firelink Shrine with some treasure chests. Find Petrus of Thorolund (the dude standing by himself in the Shrine) and head up the stairs. You'll find a place with two empty shafts; drop down and you'll find the chests.
- Either by heading out from the area in Firelink or dropping down from the place with the treasure chests, you'll get to a graveyard with skeletons. Fighting them isn't really practical at this point but you can make some suicide runs for free stuff, including a Winged Spear (a great weapon if you start with the 13 STR/15 DEX to use it) and an okay shield for the classes that start with crappy shields.
- To the left of the rear end in a top hat tutorial NPC at the Firelink bonfire is a difficult-to-see staircase. Head down it and find another staircase down; you'll eventually reach a room with an elevator leading down to New Londo Ruins. Down there you can find an Estoc (10 STR, 12 DEX, awesome weapon). If you cross the bridge you'll get destroyed by invincible ghosts, but there's an item in the water--a Firekeeper's Soul. Bring it to the girl in the cage at Firelink to permanently upgrade your Estus Flasks (I can't really describe the route, check Youtube if you have to).

If you have a Master Key (gift or being a Thief):
- In New Londo Ruins, next to the elevator you came from, there's another house with a gate you can open with the keys. If you take the plank bridge and make a left, you'll reach a sleeping bone dragon with two items in his hands. He'll wake up and murder you when you grab one, but...
The far item from the way you came is a Dragon Shield. It requires only 10 STR and has amazing stats for a shield this early in the game--100% phys damage reduction, 85% fire, and okay hit resistance.
The near item is an enchanted longsword. It requires 10 STR/10 DEX/14 Faith, but if you're planning on pumping faith and/or are a Cleric, it's a huge step up from normal weapons.

Thank you! Exactly what i was looking for, thankfully i picked the master key as a gift. Now i just have to finish these midterms and im ready to get frustrated!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Leyburn posted:

I must be a 100% drop, because it's basically a key required to get to the next area.

You can open a shortcut for Lost Izalith that skips lava hell. Chaos Servant covenant, give 30 humanity to the witch, and you will be able to open the door in the adjacent room right before the demon firesage boss. It leads you straight into the heart of Lost Izalith. There's ways to farm humanity like the undead babies right before Nito's boss door in tomb of the giants so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Truth be told, you're not missing out on much aside from a challenge by not having the lava ring, but considering the shortcut is not obvious and a little tedious, going through lava hell seems to be the "correct" route.

apple fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm so goddamned frustrated by Amor Londo. It went from poo poo I can kill to poo poo that just destroys me after the first bonfire and now I'm stuck because I dropped off a ledge to get there. Any tips?

If you're at the place where you fight the first gargoyle, there is a very thin ledge to the left that leads to the church

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
God drat, I have no idea how to keep siegmeyer alive. He got himself killed almost instantaneously. I had my +5 crazy chaos lady pyromancy glove and still could not fry those things fast enough to keep him from going down.

Edit: Maybe if you kill all but one of them before you talk to him and then trigger his jump it's possible, I dunno.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

andrew smash posted:

God drat, I have no idea how to keep siegmeyer alive. He got himself killed almost instantaneously. I had my +5 crazy chaos lady pyromancy glove and still could not fry those things fast enough to keep him from going down.

I heard you're supposed to go down there beforehand and kill all but one of them. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know how viable that is

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well this is annoying. I started a new dex/pyromancy character to see what gear and how OP I could make it without resorting to the drake sword. In about 5 hours of trying to be in human form at all times I haven't seen a single player message, summoning sign, blood stain or white phantom. Multiplayer is essentially disabled on this character. If I go back to my main? they're all there (if a little sparse because I'm on the 360) Other games tell me my NAT is open. So what the gently caress?

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Leyburn posted:

It's definitely possible (outside of the "secret" shortcut), as I made it all the way to the other side of the Lava area before realising I had it :suicide:

With fire-resist gear, Flash Sweat, and lots of rolling (which seems to cut out Lava damage the most) you can make it, and there's probably a certain level of vitality you need too.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Tadiakichi posted:

If you're at the place where you fight the first gargoyle, there is a very thin ledge to the left that leads to the church

I'm sorry. Second bonfire, just after the rear end in a top hat archers of frustration + 6.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm sorry. Second bonfire, just after the rear end in a top hat archers of frustration + 6.
I think that's the third one, actually. The first one you probably found but the second one is at the lowest level of the huge elevator thing in the middle of the area.

E: But yeah honestly the only actual tips for Anor Londo is probably just to level up if you can't get past the enemies. Did you do everything you reasonably could before going there? Like clear out the forest of its three bosses and go visit the Hollow?

E2: If you're a tank character, you might want to check out the Stone Armor in the forest (behind the 20 000 soul door). A lot of Anor Londo enemies used lightning stuff I think, and Stone Armor has good protection against that.

smuh fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 15, 2011

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Filthy Monkey posted:

With the witch's +5 flame, not only is it not hard, it is pretty easy.

But yeah, I've been keeping my level low so I can clean up as a white phantom. It takes about half a million souls dumped into pyromancy to max it, but once that is done you can pump out damage, character level be damned.

Really, CL is a pretty poor measure of character power. I mean, a level 1 guy probably won't be able to dent a level 700, mostly because of the way that stats add to defenses, but the +-10% thing is really entirely too narrow. A maxed out level 1 pyromancer will probably be outdamaging most any level 80 weapon user.

This was a while back, but could you post what stats you're using for this build? I think I wanna try out something similar for my next character.

Also I assume you took the Master Key gift for early access to Queelag?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Man, I feel like a goddamn titan of badassery now. Pumped my Endurance to 30 and between Havel's Ring and the Ring of Favor, I can do a medium roll in full stone plate while wielding the eagle shield and a flaming claymore. NOTHING can hurt me! I'm unflinching in my attacks! I feel like a tiny god!

I'm gonna start putting some points into Attunement now, then jack up my Pyromancy Flame. I'll be an unstoppable stone flamethrower.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Bah, I loved my ring of favour. I had to take it off for some Abyss Walking though :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How the hell does the parry system work. I am getting parried but I can not do it to enemies for the life of me. Just lost a few K souls and two humanity trying to figure it out.

Also, do you get random humanity from just killing a lot. Not as a drop, but just in the top left.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

smuh posted:

I think that's the third one, actually. The first one you probably found but the second one is at the lowest level of the huge elevator thing in the middle of the area.

E: But yeah honestly the only actual tips for Anor Londo is probably just to level up if you can't get past the enemies. Did you do everything you reasonably could before going there? Like clear out the forest of its three bosses and go visit the Hollow?

E2: If you're a tank character, you might want to check out the Stone Armor in the forest (behind the 20 000 soul door). A lot of Anor Londo enemies used lightning stuff I think, and Stone Armor has good protection against that.
I'm retarded and didn't think they'd trap me. I'll just have to level. I'm a light armor dex, character and myv good shield is on its way out so ill just have to power through.

How far is the blacksmith from the bonfire?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I want to try out the Uchigatana. The merchant drops one. I don't really need anything from him except wooden arrows maybe. Is it a good idea to buy like 1000 arrows and then kill him off? I just killed the Gaping Dragon if you want an idea where I'm at in the game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I am not looking forward to Anor Londo with my low level run I have going on

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm starting to question the story in this game. I shot Gwynevere, and she died in one shot, but she was actually just an image of her, not actually her? And gwyndolin bitched at me so I just went down and killed her, and it said she was "Dark Sun Gwyndolin" which hardly seems like a person of light and goodness. Also...if I kill all the douche bagas whose souls I need, and then link the flame, who is getting all the power? If I walk away I keep it for myself, but if I don't then...? I'm starting to suspect the "good" ending isn't so good after all. Since they lied to me about New Lando, and it's actually dark and dreary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm starting to question the story in this game. I shot Gwynevere, and she died in one shot, but she was actually just an image of her, not actually her? And gwyndolin bitched at me so I just went down and killed her, and it said she was "Dark Sun Gwyndolin" which hardly seems like a person of light and goodness. Also...if I kill all the douche bagas whose souls I need, and then link the flame, who is getting all the power? If I walk away I keep it for myself, but if I don't then...? I'm starting to suspect the "good" ending isn't so good after all. Since they lied to me about New Lando, and it's actually dark and dreary.

If you light the flame you break the undead curse and drive away the demons. Remember that all the events in the game started when the first flame started fading, as the prologue explains

• Locked thread