Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2247 »
Demitri Omni
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

I am endlessly white phantoming O&S because it's more fun than the typical way of farming souls/humanity. Slower on the humanity front, but I have become a well-oiled machine for that part of the game, and somehow it's still fun every time.

Also, if you 2-hand block with a polearm and run around in zigzags it looks kind of like your player is trying to be an airplane. I managed to join as a white phantom and have both the host and a second white phantom running around like idiots.

See also: equip a tower shield you don't meet the requirements for in your right hand, two-hand stance it, then start hitting L1 every quarter second or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Demitri Omni posted:

I am endlessly white phantoming O&S because it's more fun than the typical way of farming souls/humanity. Slower on the humanity front, but I have become a well-oiled machine for that part of the game, and somehow it's still fun every time.

Also, if you 2-hand block with a polearm and run around in zigzags it looks kind of like your player is trying to be an airplane. I managed to join as a white phantom and have both the host and a second white phantom running around like idiots.

See also: equip a tower shield you don't meet the requirements for in your right hand, two-hand stance it, then start hitting L1 every quarter second or so.

The real reason Dark Souls has an M rating.

But yeah, I've been doing that for the Capra demon. Mostly yesterday and the night before. I pretty much knock him out in about 10 seconds after walking into the boss room. I get some messages from people who are crazy thankful for it, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who hated this boss.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

RottenK posted:

Actual challenge and lack of DLC are bad things now?
Maybe he was expecting to auto-recover health and take cover?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Well... Alright, I guess you can look at me.

Funkmaster General posted:

You... You can parry Gwyn?

Gaaaaah, gently caress, way to go. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I was as the moth to a flame. Black text added to protect the virgin eyes.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Here's why I feel like an idiot--I used my demon titanite upgrading my cool new Demon's Spear I got in Anor Londo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

It's me you should fear, you stupid, dead things.

Demitri Omni posted:

This is what I try to do, but I just stand here for 75 minutes and get summoned once the entire time. I would say in about 4+ hours of having my sigil down I was summoned 4-5 times. I feel like the bonfire makes the most sense, but I'm honestly getting summoned so little I can't even get a feel for which location is the hottest, when they're all ice cold. Is 50 too low? Everything was fine at 45, and I went to 50 because I hoped that it would help me phantom (it didn't).

vv: I'm a Warrior of Sunlight +1 and I can tell you that either it doesn't help or I would be literally never getting summoned if I wasn't a WoS. I think it only raises your summon chance by other WoS, which is worthless. It should drop my sigil in every lobby or something. All I've gotten is two miracles I can't (and will likely never) use.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2011 around 20:23

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I've been thinking about some of the supposedly "cooperative" covenants that increases the chances of summoning another member. They should just show all the signs of that covenant when you are human and you can pick and choose who you want to invite.

Either that or greatly increase the level range of who you can invite. It would make those covenants more worthwhile, I think.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Jimbot posted:

You know, I've been thinking about some of the supposedly "cooperative" covenants that increases the chances of summoning another member. They should just show all the signs of that covenant when you are human and you can pick and choose who you want to invite.

Either that or greatly increase the level range of who you can invite. It would make those covenants more worthwhile, I think.

They really should increase the level range, as level hardly is an indicator of strength in this game anyway. It's mostly on equipment and what spells you have. Also I'm pretty sure that darkmoon and forest covenants can invade people of much higher level then them, so I hardly see the need for such a restricting co oping limit if some of the pvp limit is going to be so high.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dirty Job posted:

Thinking of starting my game over, not sure if my build would be worth continuing in NG+. Have over 40 hours played, just got the Lord Vessel, any suggestions?

Around level 62 and I think I spread my points around too much. Mostly agility, relatively low endurance (lower than what I'd like), pumped points into faith to use that stupid artorias sword (then never used it), and have absolutely no humanity.
Keep playing, don't restart over balanced stats. My first character was built such that I could wield the True Straightsword of Artorias and even then I had no problems finishing the game.

Look on the bright sides, you have more than enough faith to cast some of the better miracles in the game. You also have enough int to cast almost all of the utility spells when you need them. You should definitely have enough strength/dex to wield most any weapon you would want beyond the super heavy strength weapons.

Just put the rest of your levels into END/Vit and keep playing. Put on Havel's ring for the time being if you want to wear heavier armor. If you want to wear heavier armor and still run at light speed then get the dark wood grain ring too. If your stamina/vit is low then swap havel for ring of protection and favor and work with what you got.

I mean if you are having absolutely no fun then feel free to restart, but your character is definitely not in a horrific spot.

Nechronic
Aug 24, 2003

FisheyStix posted:

Gaaaaah, gently caress, way to go. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I was as the moth to a flame. Black text added to protect the virgin eyes.

Yes. You read a tip on how to kill a boss. He's still going to kill you.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Elysiume posted:

This is what I try to do, but I just stand here for 75 minutes and get summoned once the entire time. I would say in about 4+ hours of having my sigil down I was summoned 4-5 times. I feel like the bonfire makes the most sense, but I'm honestly getting summoned so little I can't even get a feel for which location is the hottest, when they're all ice cold. Is 50 too low? Everything was fine at 45, and I went to 50 because I hoped that it would help me phantom (it didn't).

I have to ask, is this 360 or PS3?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Nechronic posted:

Yes. You read a tip on how to kill a boss. He's still going to kill you.

It was more about who the boss is that bothered me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Dawnfire posted:

They really should increase the level range, as level hardly is an indicator of strength in this game anyway.

It's so weird basing it on that value. The guys I was doing co-op and PvP with were horrified at how much more damage I was doing than them, at just a few levels difference from them. I can understand using servers, shoving the whole world on one is a terrible idea. But then further dividing that is silly, at least for co-op.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Emron posted:

Here's why I feel like an idiot--I used my demon titanite upgrading my cool new Demon's Spear I got in Anor Londo.
No need you can farm as much demon titanite as you want in the horrible area known as Lost Izalith. It's silly fast if you have the Chaos Covenant shortcut unlocked too.

FisheyStix posted:

Yeah, it sucks but people have been name dropping the end boss for dozens of pages now. It's usually the exact same exchange as the one you saw too.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

"Is it just rape, yes."
-Lizard Wizard
"I can't believe it's not rape."

Filthy Hans posted:

I rang the second bell and came back to firelink and the fire keeper is dead. I can't use the shrine and I can't upgrade the estrus flasks. What the hell? Am I totally hosed? How could this game be so cruel?

What the hell do you think you're drinking.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FisheyStix posted:

Are you really all that surprised that you have to fight that guy?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

I have to ask, is this 360 or PS3?
360. I know there's a lower player population, but on Gaping Dragon I was getting summoned constantly, then that dropped off. I tried moving on, but everything has been terrible for me ever since. I don't know if it's my level, my sigil location, or something else, but there's some factor that is making me get summoned once every third blue moon.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

After Queelag, I couldn't find the merchant, so I dumped the 30k souls I had on me into levelling rather than risk losing it all on the way back up. Only to then immediately find the merchant - d'oh.

Anywho, I'm SL30 now, and about to enter Anor Lando. Is that high for the region, or still low? (I'd been trying to keep it low to make co-op / PVP more doable)

Nechronic
Aug 24, 2003

FisheyStix posted:

Ah, I guess that makes sense.

To me the start of the game was "YO A BUNCH OF poo poo HAPPENED, YOU'RE A ZOMBIE IN AN ASYLUM AND SOMEONE DROPPED A CORPSE WITH A KEY INTO YOUR CELL, GET OUT AND DIE A BUNCH" so I guess I find it hard to be sympathetic because I don't really care about the story, though I do enjoy the setting.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

So what the consensus on the furtive pygmy from the intro then is he just the player character

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rexicon1 posted:

So what the consensus on the furtive pygmy from the intro then is he just the player character
Join Darkwraiths, you will find out.

No, you're his descendant.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Nechronic posted:

Ah, I guess that makes sense.

To me the start of the game was "YO A BUNCH OF !@#$%^&* HAPPENED, YOU'RE A ZOMBIE IN AN ASYLUM AND SOMEONE DROPPED A CORPSE WITH A KEY INTO YOUR CELL, GET OUT AND DIE A BUNCH" so I guess I find it hard to be sympathetic because I don't really care about the story, though I do enjoy the setting.

I got into the story right away on some level, and really felt for the knight who saved you. He risks his life to save you, then with his dying breath gives you the most useful item in the game. The guy is a freaking champ if you ask me, and I was heartbroken when I had to kill him on my return to the Asylum.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FisheyStix posted:

Yeah - the game hasn't been out for even a month yet guys. Let's keep up with the spoilers on boss names. There is actually a plot in here, somewhere, and what little I can find of it between horrible deaths/suicides is pretty neato.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shalinor posted:

After Queelag, I couldn't find the merchant, so I dumped the 30k souls I had on me into levelling rather than risk losing it all on the way back up. Only to then immediately find the merchant - d'oh.

Anywho, I'm SL30 now, and about to enter Anor Lando. Is that high for the region, or still low? (I'd been trying to keep it low to make co-op / PVP more doable)

It's certainly not high. My first character was probably ~50 when I started the area.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Join Darkwraiths, you will find out.

No, you're his ancestor.

Don't you mean descendant? Otherwise your character is really friggan old!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I'd say that's low by a pretty large margin but honestly I'm not getting summoned at all, so...

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Finally defeated Quelaag at SL1 after a few tries. Maneater Mildred is so loving useless. On my last attempt, I just booked it as hollow and whittled away at her with a Battle Axe +10.

On to Sen's!

So, is it worth it joining the Chaos Covenant for the fireball? And if I leave it, can I still use the fireball?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jimbot posted:

Don't you mean descendant? Otherwise your character is really friggan old!
You caught me before my ninja edit fixed my terrible English

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Noxville posted:

Are you really all that surprised that you have to fight that guy?

I... I guess not.

I was warned. That lady in the swamp said "don't get too into fire or it'll burn you and junk". Like a fool, I ignored her wisdom, and found fascination in the flickering fire of Dark Souls.

And it has consumed me.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Who Dat posted:

So, is it worth it joining the Chaos Covenant for the fireball? And if I leave it, can I still use the fireball?

On an SL1 character? Ehhhhh. It's powerful and grows more powerful as you gain Humanity, but it takes up two whole Attunement slots for four casts. You may need spells you can get more mileage out of, and Great Fireball has as many casts and is as strong as Great Chaos Fireball (sans-Humanity) for only one spell slot.

All Chaos Covenant Pyromancies are retained and are usable if you leave the covenant.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Emron posted:

There's a spot later where you can get as much as you want.

This Dissonance
Jan 28, 2009

by Ralp

So, I decided to just run past the red dragon on the bridge to get to the bonfire under where he was perched. I guess this causes him to split the scene.

Will he ever come back or should i just kiss those 10k souls goodbye?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I swear, this game knows when you have a substantial blood stain lying somewhere and plays itself better to try and gently caress you up.

Also, gently caress those four legged beast skeletons in the tomb of giants. Those things are vicious.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

On an SL1 character? Ehhhhh. It's powerful and grows more powerful as you gain Humanity, but it takes up two whole Attunement slots for four casts. You may need spells you can get more mileage out of, and Great Fireball has as many casts and is as strong as Great Chaos Fireball (sans-Humanity) for only one spell slot.

All Chaos Covenant Pyromancies are retained and are usable if you leave the covenant.

Oh, well, that makes that easy. I won't even bother. Thanks.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Finaly been hit by a gravelord with eyes of death! Im in the catacombs, running though to open up the blacksmith. All of a sudden ive got black phantom skeltons appearing. Whats even stranger is ive killed Pinwheel & im hollow.

Time to go hunting for some eyes

e:Im getting no souls from the BP skele's, unsure if thats due to em being skele's or BP's. They do drop item's, same as normal versions drops thou.

2nd edit: Someone eles got em before I could even find the sign

defult fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2011 around 21:27

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

I don't think this game's really for me. Having gotten to King Allant in Demon's Souls, I figured this would be my game of the year, but having started a new job recently I'm just too tired to play the game properly, and when one of the first bosses you face is essentially an even more cuntish version of Maneater, I think I might have to pick up something else to supplement this game while I try to understand it. Also, any ideas for a good way to take out that wierd fucker that shoots lightning in the basement of the Undead Parish leading to the forests?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

For those of you rocking the Zweihander:

1. What do you do in narrow areas, switch weapons?
2. One handed or 2 handed?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

So I can just join the Gravelord Covenant for the sword and spell, and then bail on them right? Or is there some other perk that you get for it?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

gently caress Blighttown. There is no excuse for this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Mr. Leonheart posted:

gently caress Blighttown. There is no excuse for this place.

Man, you're gonna love some of the later areas. Right now you're in the denial stage, soon you'll swing around for acceptance and then later on you'll be disappointed that more areas aren't as difficult.

«2247 »