Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Managed to get my SL8 Grim Reaper up to O+S, and I am totally going cheese them for warping. I also want O's armor because S's is too ugly and heavy anyway. What is my best option here? I have a +11 pyro flame and 2 attunement slots and the moth soul, but would need to do some grinding to make the shield.

vvvv I'd beg to differ. Also my other character is level 29 with Smough's armor.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tricky posted:

Allegedly it's about 10%, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit more than that.

From a bit ago but I've confirmed from a bit of messaging players I've helped. It's not just 10% it's the old Demon Soul's model of 10 levels+10% since I was surprised to get pulled in at level 37 to help a guy level 24 take down the gargoyles when I was doing a quick titanite farming in undead parish, and had a guy in Smough's Armor help me take it down on my level 18 new guy, and there's no way in hell someone got to New Londo Anor Lando and can equip that by level 20.

edit: Meant to say Anor Lando not New Lando. I know you can advance to areas (especially with White phantom help) before you normally could and there were even sl-1 runs, but I don't think anyone's there yet for Dark Souls.
I was hinging it more on if the guy had spent enough levels to get the str and end requirements to be able to walk around and not fat-roll he couldn't have been level 20. But looks like the wiki doesn't have the weights for smough's armor for me to confirm that.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 20, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Coolness Averted posted:

From a bit ago but I've confirmed from a bit of messaging players I've helped. It's not just 10% it's the old Demon Soul's model of 10 levels+10% since I was surprised to get pulled in at level 37 to help a guy level 24 take down the gargoyles when I was doing a quick titanite farming in undead parish, and had a guy in Smough's Armor help me take it down on my level 18 new guy, and there's no way in hell someone got to New Londo and can equip that by level 20.

SL has basically nothing to do with obtainable equipment. People are already working on low SL or even SL1 playthroughs of the entire game.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

WalletBeef posted:

For those of you rocking the Zweihander:

1. What do you do in narrow areas, switch weapons?
2. One handed or 2 handed?

1. If the ceiling is high, strong attacks are vertical and won't kit the walls. If it's really cramped, I switch to my Claymore for the thrust attack.

2. I pumped strength enough to wield it one handed and it gives you more flexibility. You end up having two equal sets of moves, but one is less stamina draining albeit less damaging. Depends of the enemies you're facing. Also, switching from one to two handing is really quick, so most of the times I block, switch and hit two handed. I usually have enough stamina left for a roll of things go wrong.

To add more, Mask of the Child is really useful (especially during bosses) because it reduces downtimes between your actions.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Coolness Averted posted:

there's no way in hell someone got to New Londo and can equip that by level 20.
If I hadn't goofed, I'd be wandering through New Londo at SL20, and doing fine. I'm only SL30 now because I dumped a ton of points into attunement, because I dug the idea of having more firepower at hand.

(and I'm not even trying for a low SL run)

Polite Tim posted:

I don't think this game's really for me. Having gotten to King Allant in Demon's Souls, I figured this would be my game of the year, but having started a new job recently I'm just too tired to play the game properly, and when one of the first bosses you face is essentially an even more cuntish version of Maneater, I think I might have to pick up something else to supplement this game while I try to understand it. Also, any ideas for a good way to take out that wierd fucker that shoots lightning in the basement of the Undead Parish leading to the forests?
Spend humanity to unhollow, summon sun bro right outside the fog door for the gargoyles, laugh maniacally as he basically kills them for you.

Also, make sure you have the drakesword, that fight is a bitch without it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 19, 2011

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was asking about the best fast-swinging sword to start upgrading last night, and I spent a while last night unsuccessfully farming for the Balder Side Sword. I'm checking the wiki now, and it seems like the Jagged Ghost Blade is much stronger, and has the regular upgrade path. Is there any reason that wouldn't make a better main sword? I'm not onboard with the fencing weapons or katanas, and I'd prefer a fast sword with a slash and a thrust attack.

My character is gonna be a Faith build, if it makes any difference - planning on making the weapon Occult eventually.

e: VVVVVV You sure? That's not what the wiki says.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 19, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Jagged Ghost Blade upgrades with TT. It doesn't follow the normal upgrade path.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Shalinor posted:

Spend humanity to unhollow, summon sun bro right outside the fog door for the gargoyles, laugh maniacally as he basically kills them for you.

Also, make sure you have the drakesword, that fight is a bitch without it.

I got the first gargoyle down to about 1/10th health before the second one turned up and stunlocked me with his firebreath, will attempt to get some humanity somewhere. Is it worth going through blighttown or darkroot gardens to pick up some souls/humanity/gear first?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The jagged ghost blade is a dagger size-wise and has the reach to match. It's also a pretty rare drop.

I would just farm soldiers in undead burg until you get a longsword drop, they're common as all hell and have C/C scaling whereas the Balder sword is E/B. Or just go buy one from Andre if you feel like dropping 1k souls on it.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 19, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Jagged Ghost Blade upgrades with TT. It doesn't follow the normal upgrade path.

I hate how many weapons are like this, if only the silver knight sword and spear weren't 'unique' weapons and followed the regular upgrade paths. They'd probably be some of the best weapons in the game for upgrading.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hamburger Test posted:

Managed to get my SL8 Grim Reaper up to O+S, and I am totally going cheese them for warping. I also want O's armor because S's is too ugly and heavy anyway. What is my best option here? I have a +11 pyro flame and 2 attunement slots and the moth soul, but would need to do some grinding to make the shield.

vvvv I'd beg to differ. Also my other character is level 29 with Smough's armor.

Get Sun-Bro to tank for you and hope that he doesn't die before you kill Biggie. Save your Great Fireball + Fire Orb casts for Smalls. You'd probably get more damage out of Combustion but I try to stay out of melee range when I'm fighting SSJ LIGHTNING DRAGOON. Farming up the Moon Shield would probably help a lot if you can't manage the fight otherwise.

e: If you're doing Dragon Head cheese then maybe try it with firebombs. I know it works for throwing knives and prism stones.

Sometimes when I'm doing assists I like to put on my dragon head and vomit pretty baubles everywhere.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 19, 2011

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Polite Tim posted:

I got the first gargoyle down to about 1/10th health before the second one turned up and stunlocked me with his firebreath, will attempt to get some humanity somewhere. Is it worth going through blighttown or darkroot gardens to pick up some souls/humanity/gear first?

Go the depths and kill rats, they drop humanity.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

I hate how many weapons are like this, if only the silver knight sword and spear weren't 'unique' weapons and followed the regular upgrade paths. They'd probably be some of the best weapons in the game for upgrading.
There's no good reason for the pseudo-uniques to require TT. That stuff is really rare, so it's not like I'm going to upgrade this nice Silver Knight Spear when it takes me fifteen minutes to farm a single TT.

I was really, really disappointed when I found out the Ghostblade required TT. I was all pumped until I got back to my campfire. Does the cursed property mean anything other than it can hit ghosts?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vatek posted:

I would just farm soldiers in undead burg until you get a longsword drop, they're common as all hell and have C/C scaling whereas the Balder sword is E/B. Or just go buy one from Andre if you feel like dropping 1k souls on it.

Wait, what? The wiki says the Balder sword gets C/B scaling on one page, and E/B on another. Does anyone have an actual sword in game that could check? The wiki also says it has a 14 Faith requirement, so I was hoping it might get better Faith scaling if I upgraded to Occult.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Polite Tim posted:

If you've got the masterkey, you can go down into the Valley of the Drakes from Firelink, and pick up a fire-resistant shield from in front of the zombie dragon. That should take care of your fire problem. You could also just make sure to keep gargoyle between you and the second until the first is dead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WalletBeef posted:

For those of you rocking the Zweihander:

1. What do you do in narrow areas, switch weapons?
2. One handed or 2 handed?
1. Strong attack.
2. One handed.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Phenotype posted:

Wait, what? The wiki says the Balder sword gets C/B scaling on one page, and E/B on another. Does anyone have an actual sword in game that could check? The wiki also says it has a 14 Faith requirement, so I was hoping it might get better Faith scaling if I upgraded to Occult.

I'm nowhere near my guide/PS3 to check scaling, but I do remember the Balder sword only had a Str/Dex requirement. I'm pretty sure it was 14 Dex.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

Futurepress guide says E/B. Changes to E/D and B faith scaling with Occult.

e: Requirement is 10 STR / 14 DEX

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vatek posted:

Right now you're in the denial stage, soon you'll swing around for acceptance and then later on you'll be disappointed that more areas aren't as difficult.

I cannot believe that I can honestly state that Blighttown isn't close to the most annoying or difficult section of the game.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Phenotype posted:

It's E/B according to the guide, which I trust on that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

FisheyStix posted:

Gaaaaah, gently caress, way to go. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I was as the moth to a flame. Black text added to protect the virgin eyes.

Errr, sorry? That fight is telegraphed as gently caress, though. You're told about it at the very beginning of Act 3, after you place the lordvessel.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Duke's Archives, 60K souls, 6 humanity.

Yeah, gone. Full health arrow death from a crystal dredgling? Was it a headshot maybe?

loving hell fire in the seas of satan and his piss-covered magic midgets of Cuntsbury, Cuntifornia.

Serves me right for deciding to explore the caves. Should've nipped back and levelled up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The caves? The Crystal Cave? No crystal dreglings in there.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Gazmachine posted:

loving hell fire in the seas of satan and his piss-covered magic midgets of Cuntsbury, Cuntifornia.

Creative, if nothing else.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Nechronic posted:

Get Sun-Bro to tank for you and hope that he doesn't die before you kill Biggie. Save your Great Fireball + Fire Orb casts for Smalls. You'd probably get more damage out of Combustion but I try to stay out of melee range when I'm fighting SSJ LIGHTNING DRAGOON. Farming up the Moon Shield would probably help a lot if you can't manage the fight otherwise.

e: If you're doing Dragon Head cheese then maybe try it with firebombs. I know it works for throwing knives and prism stones.

Sometimes when I'm doing assists I like to put on my dragon head and vomit pretty baubles everywhere.

Eh well, not quite that cheesy, I haven't even found the area where you join them yet. Thanks for reminding I need to go back down and learn more spells however.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gazmachine posted:

Yeah, gone. Full health arrow death from a crystal dredgling? Was it a headshot maybe?

I'm pretty sure the wizards there buff the other enemies.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Gazmachine posted:

Serves me right for deciding to explore the caves. Should've nipped back and levelled up.

I despise those archers too, until you memorize the enemy locations you're probably going to get shot in the back a lot by them. They do ridiculous damage if you don't have any armor or much vit, and can probably one shot you just by criting on you.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Elysiume posted:

The caves? The Crystal Cave? No crystal dreglings in there.

No, the archives. Got to the caves, butterfly smashed me in. On my way back to the caves to reclaim my stuff - entire health bar emptied by one arrow when previously they were doing about a fifth. It must've been a headshot - I had no idea I could be headshotted.

EDIT:

RBA Starblade posted:

I think this is what it was. The wizard wasn't dead yet because the staircase was facing the other way.

I can already tell the crystal cave will be my most hated area.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

RBA Starblade posted:

This. Whenever the channelers start dancing around like morons, they're actually giving a damage buff to other enemies in range.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
You can get past the butterflies without having to fight them.

DarkArchimedes posted:

This. Whenever the channelers start dancing around like morons, they're actually giving a damage buff to other enemies in range.

You know, I was wondering what the hell that animation was.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Gazmachine posted:

No, the archives. Got to the caves, butterfly smashed me in. On my way back to the caves to reclaim my stuff - entire health bar emptied by one arrow when previously they were doing about a fifth. It must've been a headshot - I had no idea I could be headshotted.

EDIT:

I think this is what it was. The wizard wasn't dead yet because the staircase was facing the other way.

I can already tell the crystal cave will be my most hated area.

Take note that you don't have to kill the butterflies, if you stay away from them they won't attack you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

Take note that you don't have to kill the butterflies, if you stay away from them they won't attack you.
I left them because they're pretty! :3: (also scary)

Also, re: clam farming: I was one-shotting them with fireballs, and the last one I'd laser-shield and hit them once. I got 2 TT and about a dozen curse things with ~300 item find in a fairly substantial amount of time. It's kind of pointless as far as farming goes, but hey, no other way to get TT. Too bad I never got a mimic hat.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Now I'm proper stuffed, I have to do some high level rolling poo poo because I have two wizards wapping energy crap my way and my shield blocks gently caress all of it. Ergh. Can't eliminate them in the usual way because I need to reset the staircases. Man this is trying.

Then I'm going to get to the boss and die and then figure out how to get back in the easiest way. Are there no bonfires in the caves?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Nope, you have to run from the last bonfire in the archive.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vatek posted:

Nope, you have to run from the last bonfire in the archive.

Luckily the bonfire is like two feet away from the entrance to the field around the Caves.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Once you kill him, a bonfire opens up. The path is pretty quick once you know how to get through (fight 4-5 blue golems and one pinkish one) and you can just run past the clams and get through the fog gate.

I killed him in 4 Great Chaos Fireballs. Easiest boss fight I've had so far. I tried assisting, but didn't get any requests so I just wandered along (and forgot to go back and rescue Big Hat).

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals
SO I summon some heavily armored dudes to help me with Four Kings and what do they do? Split up to fight them separately. Thanks guys, I didn't want that 20 humanity anyway.

vvvv True. It is kind of the antithesis of every Demon's/Dark Souls battle.

flashdim fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 19, 2011

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

flashdim posted:

SO I summon some heavily armored dudes to help me with Four Kings and what do they do? Split up to fight them separately. Thanks guys, I didn't want that 20 humanity anyway.

They may just not know the fight. That kind of strategy is very effective on other bosses.

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

So i'm sitting at SL 42 and have 20 str 20 dex. I'm mainhanding qualaag's fury sword, but I want a solid lightning weapon and hate spears. What is the recommended weapon to level up to lightning+5? Seems like popular choices are large weapons like Zweihander, plain Great Sword, "insert noun" great sword, Claymore, etc.

I'm not against leveling up my str to 1 hand any of those, but do people usually 2hand them anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Claymore is solid one or two-handed if you don't want to dump four more points into strength for the Zweinder to one hand it. On the other hand, four points in strength is probably worth it for that weapon.

• Locked thread