Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Alectai posted:

On a side note, I Really want to try to find some heavy armor, and Nobody's managed to find anything better then Chain Mail yet?

Head over to the forest behind the blacksmith in the Parish, and follow the path straight until you hit a white fog door. Go through it and run past the massive gently caress-off enemies (or fight them, you're probably stronger than me so you might be able to take them). There's a couple of item orbs floating around the area, and one of them contains a full set of elite knight armor, which looks almost identical to the starting knight armor but has slightly better stats. Only set of heavy armor I've found so far, but I'm not too far in. Also, running in after the armor without fighting is a suicide run. Once two or three of those things are after you at once, you're toast. Don't go in with tons of souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
If anyone else is having trouble kicking, you have to basically jerk the stick forward :haw: at the same time you hit R1. If your guy actually moves you were too slow.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Emron posted:

There's really no other tips than what people have been saying over and over again. Do the thing you did to the tutorial boss. Wait until he steps away, run back up immediately, and repeat. It takes three hits from doing it this way to get him dead.

I guess my problem is that he never backs off me even for a second, so I never make it back to the ladder for a second try

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Is there an easy way to get back to Firelink from the burg, or should I just hack it and fight back down. Kinda want that shield that was talked about.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm sure most people have encountered it but there's a crystal lizard hidden in the second set of barrels in the tower right before the taurus demon. drops three chunks of upgrade material.

der juicen the fastest way back to the shrine is actually in the area past the dragon. it's an elevator in the church right before you ascend the stair in the back.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I've cleared up to Sen's Castle. Where's a good spot to grind souls?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I just killed the Hydra and got 6,000 souls! Then instead of going to a bonfire and leveling up like a sane person, I pushed further into unexplored territory. I died. No big deal right?

Then I died again within sight of my lost souls. I want to kill myself. I'm sure the game will arrange that for me easily though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Also everyone should try the estoc sword. Not only can you attack with your guard up like a spear, but the kick attack gets changed to an attacking backstep two-in-one! It's really fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ugggghhhhh, just lost 12,000 souls. I was saving up for an item. Just needed to spread my tears.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
How do I manually aim with bows and crossbows? LB, LT, and RB all fire, RT makes my character do this weird jerk movement, none of the d-pad directions do anything, and the face buttons do what they always do.

Unless you CAN'T aim with bows and crossbows, in which case, why the hell is this message trying to tell me to go for headshots at the top of a tower in Undead Burg?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

How do I manually aim with bows and crossbows? LB, LT, and RB all fire, RT makes my character do this weird jerk movement, none of the d-pad directions do anything, and the face buttons do what they always do.

Unless you CAN'T aim with bows and crossbows, in which case, why the hell is this message trying to tell me to go for headshots at the top of a tower in Undead Burg?

I'm pretty sure you can only aim w/ regular bows. Make sure you're wielding it with two hands, then hit L1 (on PS3).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You can only aim with bows. Hold it in both hand and press LB/L1.

Beaten like the Taurus Demon.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Dear Jerks,

I'm not throwing my white soapstone loving on the ground for shits and giggles. Let me get some rad humanity, dickheads.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
My new favorite bloodstain is the guy who runs off the ledge towards the well at fire shrine place. He makes it, and dies from fall damage. SWOOSH

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You can only aim with bows. Hold it in both hand and press LB/L1.

Beaten like the Taurus Demon.

I see what you did there. :gbsmith:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Any tips on killing Havel, the guy below in the basement of the tower leading to the Taurus Demon? I'm level 21 and I have that magic straight sword (80phys/80mag) from Valley of the Drakes. Even with a shield with 100% physical he crushes my stamina and health all in one hit. I try dodging around him but he has some crazy tracking and still ends up tagging me almost every time.

I really want his ring :(

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

This may have already come up, but there's a wooden thing leading into a raised hole/door near the very beginning of the Undead Burg. Any idea how to get in there? I found my way to the roof across from it and people had left notes saying to jump but I couldn't seem to make it across the gap to the wood with jump attacks or rolls.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

sighnoceros posted:

Any tips on killing Havel, the guy below in the basement of the tower leading to the Taurus Demon? I'm level 21 and I have that magic straight sword (80phys/80mag) from Valley of the Drakes. Even with a shield with 100% physical he crushes my stamina and health all in one hit. I try dodging around him but he has some crazy tracking and still ends up tagging me almost every time.

I really want his ring :(

I have 15 Endurance and managed to take him down, it was enough that each hit would take out most of it but not dip into my HP. Just keep strafing around him and letting your stamina regen fully each time he hits and you can take him down over time. Make sure you get away from him when he holds his sword straight up in front of his face and gets all slow, he does a weird one-shot thing after that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

My new favorite bloodstain is the guy who runs off the ledge towards the well at fire shrine place. He makes it, and dies from fall damage. SWOOSH

The best bloodstain I saw so far was a guy who called an elevator from the bottom and then walked into the shaft before it came down.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

This may have already come up, but there's a wooden thing leading into a raised hole/door near the very beginning of the Undead Burg. Any idea how to get in there? I found my way to the roof across from it and people had left notes saying to jump but I couldn't seem to make it across the gap to the wood with jump attacks or rolls.
Doesn't sound like you know how to jump. Hold circle to dash, then tap circle when you reach the edge. There is a crossbow and some bolts up there.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I can't handle it anymore. I want this game.

I never played Demon's Souls. I watched a quick little playthrough of a small portion of the first level of this new game and it looked compelling. Other than that and some basic stuff, I seriously have no idea what this game is and I love it for that. No trailers, no spoilers, none of the sort. Just the absolute basics.

It's been a while since I've been able to jump into a game knowing drat near nothing about it, so I'm going to grab this at the store today on my way back from dinner, so a little less than an hour from now. Since it's been out for a couple of days, what would you guys say is the preferred platform of choice? The store near me has it on PS3 only, so I'm ready to grab it as soon as I get the Goon Approval.

(God seriously I want this loving game so badly, it's so hard to not watch gameplay or trailers.)

edit: Also, once I do get it, is there anything I should know when I start? A choice to make in the pre-game that'll gently caress me over later, things like that? I don't care about stuff that is less than trivial, but I'd rather start on a decent foot.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 6, 2011

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

No, that's basically it - be on the roof opposite, run towards the edge facing the scaffolding and jump.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dark Souls on FB just posted this. :3:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Guliani is HOT posted:

If anyone else is having trouble kicking, you have to basically jerk the stick forward :haw: at the same time you hit R1. If your guy actually moves you were too slow.

Anyone who has problems kicking has never played a smash brothers game. :colbert:

Man, I was all psyched out about them, but the curse frogs were easy as hell. Admittedly I was walking around with 7 humanity in my pocket because I'm good at grabbing my bloodstain, but still. Every spray in the face was worth 1/12 or so of the bar. loving poison is deadlier to me right now.

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
I'm a little disappointed that despite the fact that some of the lesser bosses look terrifying and that they will tear you to shreds, they actually go down quite easily. This is especially so for the boss of the tutorial. If I had come across a monster like that in Demon Souls I would expect to have to be a high level and have a tough fight to bring him down.

It doesn't feel like to start as a deprived with a simple club, busted shield, and no stats to be able to take down a demon of that size.

Regardless, I am having fun playing.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Summoning/invading seems so counter-intuitive in this game compared to Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls:
-You are dead, so you're not doing well, and you can summon a blue phantom if he is alive (which sorta means he's doing well)
-You are dead, and you want to be alive, so you can invade someone who is alive to try to kill him and regain your life

While in Dark Souls, you have to be alive to summon someone (and Humanity seems harder to come by than the Stone Masks that revived you in Demon's Souls). You also have to be alive to invade someone. You get more Humanity for invading and killing someone, but you were already alive in the first place.

-----------------------------

Anyway, is there eventually any way to add properties onto items, like Moon _____? I'm guessing that's what ascension is for. Mainly I'm just looking for any sword that deals damage based on your INT stat like the old Crescent Falchion, Moon Uchigatana, etc.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Jarate posted:

I can't handle it anymore. I want this game.

I never played Demon's Souls. I watched a quick little playthrough of a small portion of the first level of this new game and it looked compelling. Other than that and some basic stuff, I seriously have no idea what this game is and I love it for that. No trailers, no spoilers, none of the sort. Just the absolute basics.

It's been a while since I've been able to jump into a game knowing drat near nothing about it, so I'm going to grab this at the store today on my way back from dinner, so a little less than an hour from now. Since it's been out for a couple of days, what would you guys say is the preferred platform of choice? The store near me has it on PS3 only, so I'm ready to grab it as soon as I get the Goon Approval.

(God seriously I want this loving game so badly, it's so hard to not watch gameplay or trailers.)

edit: Also, once I do get it, is there anything I should know when I start? A choice to make in the pre-game that'll gently caress me over later, things like that? I don't care about stuff that is less than trivial, but I'd rather start on a decent foot.

Most will tell you to buy it for your preferred console/controller. Ask yourself this. Could you play an entire game using right bumper for your primary attack?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

No, that's basically it - be on the roof opposite, run towards the edge facing the scaffolding and jump.

I can't seem to make it-I jump across, but it's like my character hits an invisible ceiling and gets forced down.

We're talking about, right when you get to Undead Burg, right? You fight the sword and board guy, then the axe guy, and there's another guy throwing firebombs?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips on how to handle Queelag? I can't strike the right distance without the spider leaping at me doing a billion damage with that lava attack or the lady on top continually attacks me. I'm getting tired of running through the swamp, getting poisoned or fighting the poo poo monsters over and over again.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

First Sorcerer Trainer: Found in the 2nd or 3rd area. He is found in Lower Undead Burg, you need to open the door with a key sold at the merchant in Undead Burg.

Who is this? And...where exactly? That area is pretty small.

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

Area DG: Darkwood Garden

+ There is another route down which leads to a white light. There are some trees you can attack here, one opens a path to another part of the garden.

I'm guessing you don't mean the twin snake head vine things, but...trees? Can they be targeted? I didn't see this either :(

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

where can I get a red invasion stone? I am cursed

I hear snoring by the fire shrine chapel. where is this sleeping person?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 6, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So! I just hit the magic numbers where I could wield the Dark Knight's Sword one-handed, and not too long after, came across a set of Hard Leather Armor, which is better then Chain Mail in literally every respect except Poise (And realistically speaking, if you're in a position where you're relying on "Don't stagger me", you're already in a fix). As such, I have ascended to what seems to be divinity, I haven't died since, and I've been farming Curse Frogs--they're not so bad when you're fast enough to stay out of the clouds, and one-shot them with a pretty fast, extremely wide-area cut (Once you've started two-handing it).

Killed the Big loving Dragon at the end of Depths in my first attempt, got it's tail-weapon too.

Now I'm trying to decide where I go next, I've suddenly become frightfully powerful, (Killed some "black knight" who invaded my game not too long ago) but I don't want to do anything stupid to ruin my new high point, anyone have suggestions?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Where is the second entrance to the Sewers? I know of the one near the Capra Demon, but I see some ledges above the large rat that I cannot reach.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Krinkle posted:

where can I get a red invasion stone? I am cursed

I hear snoring by the fire shrine chapel. where is this sleeping person?

Drop down where the elevator is in Firelink Shrine. It'll start to take you up but instead of riding it up, step off on the second level and fall down the hole. You'll find some goodies there and I think there's some there.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

evilalien posted:

Where is the second entrance to the Sewers? I know of the one near the Capra Demon, but I see some ledges above the large rat that I cannot reach.

Break some boxes behind where the first butcher encounter was and drop down the hole.

Speaking of the sewers, I'm SL 23 360-side and my sign is sitting on top of the stairs to Gaping Dragon, summon me people.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 6, 2011

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Summoning/invading seems so counter-intuitive in this game compared to Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls:
-You are dead, so you're not doing well, and you can summon a blue phantom if he is alive (which sorta means he's doing well)

That's not how it worked in demon souls though, yes you had to be dead to use the summoning stone but that would let a person who is alive summon you as a blue phantom, not summon them in as one.
So you would be helping the person that's alive, not the other way around as you (as a blue phantom) would not be able to get any items aside from souls or make any progress in your world.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Break some boxes behind where the first butcher encounter was and drop down the hole.

Thank you. I noticed that but my better judgement told me not to go down there.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Your better judgement isn't completely wrong, it leads to a very nasty surprise, but one you can take out quickly if you're smart.

What's less fun is that it puts you in a position where if you get careless, you can wind up getting dropped into the back of the Curse Frog Nest, so make sure you've got something that can do a shitload of damage in a hurry.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like how the back of the guide will tell me how to complete all of the Deus Ex side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Jimbot posted:

Any tips on how to handle Queelag? I can't strike the right distance without the spider leaping at me doing a billion damage with that lava attack or the lady on top continually attacks me. I'm getting tired of running through the swamp, getting poisoned or fighting the poo poo monsters over and over again.

Do you have a black knights shield?

If no- Run away constantly. Wait for the boss to do the incredibly long animation of "im barfing up lava on the ground" and whittle away.

If yes- You can go toe to toe with her, since everything she does is fire damage and you can block 95%. You hardly need to side step at all to avoid her fire puke attack, and you only need to back off to avoid her jumping attack.

Another tip- I was in human form when I fought her, and was able to summon a npc phantom that was a copy of the npc black phantom you kill before her.

Help for me- What in the game puts the egg growth on your head? I killed the egg npc guy because im dumb and now im terrified ill somehow get the egg thing and not be able to remove it. I kinda assumed since he dropped 2 of the cures that he sold them or something. If thats not the case, phew.

• Locked thread