Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Ball Stink posted:

HCSM is still really good even for PVE. The only gay thing about NG+ are, as usual, the kings.

Which is funny, because on both of my playthroughts the 4 kings were the easiest boss fight (outside of pinwheel who I 2-shot in NG). Get in close, two hand your weapon, tank damage with Havel's helm/+5 black iron armor/+5 black iron gauntlets/Havel's leggings, have a day of it.

If you get up close and person the hilt of their swords will be hitting you so you barely take any damage.

As far a poise goes, the guide earlier is nice, but I alo think it totally depends on your build and what you're going for. One of my characters is built around dealing as much damage as possible with heavy equipment, so he needs super high poise. My thief and pyromancer, however, do not need high poise as they just dodge around the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet (sorry if it has) but somebody made a petition to port Dark Souls to PC.

It was started today and already has over 3,200 signatures as of right now.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet (sorry if it has) but somebody made a petition to port Dark Souls to PC.

Someone posted the Namco employee's post/the RPS article but not that specific petition. Signed. This game would be amazing with a consistent framerate, and if they opened it up for offline modding or a fan patch of some sort it could really lend to its replayability.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
FROM Software and their foreign publisher have no experience with PC. They would have to outsource it. I don't really see it happening. The producer didn't even want to make it for 360 since Ninja Blade sold poorly.

Judging from my playing of the 360 version, I don't think splitting the fanbase three ways is a good idea. It would also need some pretty tight security since the 360 version is hacked to poo poo already.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Judging from my playing of the 360 version, I don't think splitting the fanbase three ways is a good idea. It would also need some pretty tight security since the 360 version is hacked to poo poo already.

Going online with a JTAG'd 360 will get you banned pretty fast. Also I like how he hacked all of his stats to 500 then uses a weapon that doesn't scale with any stats. :downs:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
One minor gripe I have with Dark Souls is that there isn't very much visual fluff on weapons, it would be cool if a fire weapon had flames actually coming off of it, and lightning had lightning crackling on the weapon. Also things like the Greatsword of Artorias having that blue glow that it has when Sif's using it.

I think Quelaag's furysword has that red kind of effect on it though doesn't it?

Brace fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 6, 2012

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

casual poster posted:

Hmmm, thanks for this, wasn't aware. If I have a STR build, and my STR is at 49ish, would it be worth it to start pumping some points into INT/FAI so I can use miracles/spells? I kind of feel like changing my character up. Also, I'm going for plat so I need to be able to get to the sunbro's covenant and trade [spoiler]Gwyn's soul
for the spell. (Requires 25 FAI or INT to do so, or you can help people, not sure what I'm going to do yet).
[/quote]

I'd put some points into FAI just because I find sorceries don't offer all that much besides a large selection of blue bolts. For weapons, INT would have the Moonlight Greatsword, FAI would have Grant.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Brace posted:

One minor gripe I have with Dark Souls is that there isn't very much visual fluff on weapons, it would be cool if a fire weapon had flames actually coming off of it, and lightning had lightning crackling on the weapon. Also things like the Greatsword of Artorias having that blue glow that it has when Sif's using it.

That kind of goes against the theme of dark souls though, that the most mundane things (a raggedy zombie with a broken sword, the blunt end of a stone dragon's tooth) can be lethal. Things in dark souls seem dangerous without relying on visual cues like sparkling auras. And when you do see something with a visual cue, you know you're really hosed.

Plus I hate the WoW syndrome where every single player has glowing spiked weapons and glowing spiked armor.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Umberger posted:

Going online with a JTAG'd 360 will get you banned pretty fast. Also I like how he hacked all of his stats to 500 then uses a weapon that doesn't scale with any stats. :downs:

It's already possible to cheat in the 360 version online, evidenced here. There's game save editors for 360.

A PC Dark Souls would need some sort of VAC type of security or there'll be cheaters running wild.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Polo-Rican posted:

That kind of goes against the theme of dark souls though, that the most mundane things (a raggedy zombie with a broken sword, the blunt end of a stone dragon's tooth) can be lethal. Things in dark souls seem dangerous without relying on visual cues like sparkling auras. And when you do see something with a visual cue, you know you're really hosed.

Plus I hate the WoW syndrome where every single player has glowing spiked weapons and glowing spiked armor.

The game is still based firmly in a fantasy type of setting, and stuff like that isn't really going too overboard, I mean comparing having a little visual aura to WoW's equipment design is pretty out there.

Brace fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 6, 2012

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Megalixir posted:

FROM Software and their foreign publisher have no experience with PC. They would have to outsource it. I don't really see it happening. The producer didn't even want to make it for 360 since Ninja Blade sold poorly.

This is the worst type of video.

'Here's me cheating. Don't do it yourself though, you'll be banned! Link here here and here.'

Brace posted:

par for the course.

Remember what game you're playing here.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Chard posted:

I don't own a 360 but isn't there some thing happening right now where the Live service is really borked and a lot of people can't get online? If I didn't just make that up, it might be contributing.

No, If anything it's that the netcode for Dark Souls isn't very good, on top of the random server element (and the pop cap for them). The 1.05 patch fixed it so it's somewhat better.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
I've been hearing this and that about a Dark Souls PC Petition so I figured I might as well throw it up on the OP for anyone who's interested in contributing to another pointless internet petition. In all seriousness, take the time out and add your name. It's not much, but maybe this could be the time where getting what we want can be achieved by simply asking for it.

Speaking of OPs, it is currently looking a bit dated. I have a glut of free time now, so I should probably get off my lazy rear end and update it. Now the important question: Now that we're all familiar with the game (a number of you moreso than I am), what are some of the things you guys think should be changed, added or removed to make things a bit better for new dudes?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
It looks pretty good to me already Postman, just maybe condense that quote from Yorax and move the beginner guides up to near-top. But that's just nit-picky really.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

The normal weapons (+5, +10, +15) need to have their weapon damage bonuses improved.
Their damage is still pathetically low compared to their lightening/fire counterparts.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
With regards to the PC version, I'd really like it if they did both Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Maybe even throw in the possibility of DLC?

Packaged with a unicorn, of course.

Mainly, I just want more * Souls.

Edit:

I finally beat NG, but I feel guilty for bringing some co-op with me against Gwyn. I cheated myself out of that one. I guess I'll have to do him solo in NG+.

ryde fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 6, 2012

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Brace posted:

I think Quelaag's furysword has that red kind of effect on it though doesn't it?

Apply Charcoal or Gold Pine resin to your weapon. Problem solved.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

KingShiro posted:

No, If anything it's that the netcode for Dark Souls isn't very good, on top of the random server element (and the pop cap for them). The 1.05 patch fixed it so it's somewhat better.

I wouldn't assume these things to be any different from the PS3 version. My guess would be that there are a lot less people actually playing the game on the 360.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
question about upgrading my weapon to fire/lightning/etc. If I upgrade my weapon (shortsword) to fire, am I going to run into some boss or other enemy that is immune or has high fire resistance which renders my weapon useless? I don't really have a good backup if so, so I wanted to clarify that before I do it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
A Dark Souls Modding Scene would be hilarious on the PC. Dark Wheels will become a reality, just you wait. Wheel Skeletons everywhere.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

Now the important question: Now that we're all familiar with the game (a number of you moreso than I am), what are some of the things you guys think should be changed, added or removed to make things a bit better for new dudes?

I'd say change the recommended starting gift to just the Master Key if you're playing in offline/unpatched mode for whatever reason. Say something about how the Pendant is potentially used for "something" and the director has hinted at it being best thing for a first playthrough, but as far as we know at the moment it's useless and the otherwise best theory is that it shows your own bloodstains in subsequent playthroughs. Include this wiki and note that you can unmark discussions from the search so you can actually find the page you want.

Change the bit about Curse, note that other NPCs sell Purging Stones (Oswald post-Gargoyles for 3000 each, Female Undead Merchant 6000 each).

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

question about upgrading my weapon to fire/lightning/etc. If I upgrade my weapon (shortsword) to fire, am I going to run into some boss or other enemy that is immune or has high fire resistance which renders my weapon useless? I don't really have a good backup if so, so I wanted to clarify that before I do it.

One zone later in the game and one boss fairly early in the game have Fire resistance that is noteworthy. Shortsword implies you're fairly early in the game. I wouldn't worry so much about upgrading it, as you're about to come across an easily obtainable 200 attack power weapon and you can pick up a really good sword worth upgrading in the graveyard outside of Firelink Shrine by doing a suicide run (you might not even die doing it).

KezzKezzan posted:

A Dark Souls Modding Scene would be hilarious on the PC. Dark Wheels will become a reality, just you wait. Wheel Skeletons everywhere.

Replace Pinwheel with a giant Wheel Skeleton. Give it Power Within and infinite poise. Real Dark Souls etc.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 6, 2012

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I want a mod that makes this build viable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBG75iGqHbI

artism
Nov 22, 2011

PVP on the 360 can be retarded at times. I kept invading the same loving idiot who used the character editor just like the guy in that video. Coincidentally, he was also using a nonscaling weapon and was terrible so it took him forever to kill me.

By the third invasion I just loving sat there and let him get back stabs on me. But he decided to un-equip and beat me to death with his fists until I decided to run off a cliff. He also sent me a message in Portuguese that I think says something about being a coward and having a whore mother.

In other words, I'm getting my just reward for having a 360 that went neglected for 2 years until I bought Dark Souls. So badly wish I had a PS3

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Man...

I restarted a new character last night going for a strength build. Killed the Asylum demon in the first encounter, trounced the Taurus demon. Got the drake sword, and proceeded to smash my way through to the Gargoyles. One shot them, getting the Axe and the Helm. Strength build is a lot more fun then the magic build. I can switch up weapons and what not easily for way more diversity. Not sure how I'm going to do the Moonlight butterfly. It didn't seem to come down to melee range often the last time.

But a silly question. There's no way to increase the speed at which I swing a weapon at? I have the Black Knight sword and would like to switch to it, but it seems to swing so slow that it'd be too dangerous to use.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

WalletBeef posted:

:stare:

Greatest thing I've ever seen in Dark Souls.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Why does the game not register my last bonfire? I just got sent back by three, so I need to run through most of Lost Izalith when I should be able to just walk 200 meters to find me corpse.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bluetooth human being posted:

Man...

I restarted a new character last night going for a strength build. Killed the Asylum demon in the first encounter, trounced the Taurus demon. Got the drake sword, and proceeded to smash my way through to the Gargoyles. One shot them, getting the Axe and the Helm. Strength build is a lot more fun then the magic build. I can switch up weapons and what not easily for way more diversity. Not sure how I'm going to do the Moonlight butterfly. It didn't seem to come down to melee range often the last time.

But a silly question. There's no way to increase the speed at which I swing a weapon at? I have the Black Knight sword and would like to switch to it, but it seems to swing so slow that it'd be too dangerous to use.

The Moonlight Butterfly does come in to melee range, and it's completely vulnerable. If you have the Crest Shield (very easy to get, return to the Undead Asylum to pick it up) the fight is even more of a joke because you can just block everything and drink if your health somehow gets low.

Weapon speed is static, no stat affects it and as far as I know being at a certain % of burden doesn't change it either.

e: Quelaag did, last I checked. vvvv

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 6, 2012

artism
Nov 22, 2011

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

No, in PVE fire is probably the best bet. Can't think of any bosses with good fire resistance.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

artism posted:

No, in PVE fire is probably the best bet. Can't think of any bosses with good fire resistance.

Isn't Quelaag immune to fire attacks?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

WalletBeef posted:

Somehow I knew what the video was before clicking

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

artism posted:

Pretty sure most of the bosses in the Demon Ruins are resistant to it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
As yesterday, if there's someone out there with a Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring they can give me I'd appreciate it. the character that needs it is level 23. My PSN is Sheep-Goats.

I got one offer yesterday but was logged off by the time it came in.

I've got a bunch of green shards you can have I guess. Not much else anyone would be interested in.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 6, 2012

Felk
Jun 25, 2011

WalletBeef posted:

Haha, I summoned a guy once who was using dual bonewheels and he was pumping out some pretty nice damage! Kinda makes me want to try it.

Bluetooth human being posted:

Not sure how I'm going to do the Moonlight butterfly. It didn't seem to come down to melee range often the last time.

Generally I just summon Witch Beatrice/other people, since otherwise it takes a lot longer to have to wait until it's in range.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

SnipeShow posted:

Why does the game not register my last bonfire? I just got sent back by three, so I need to run through most of Lost Izalith when I should be able to just walk 200 meters to find me corpse.

Something that's tripped me up before: there's a difference between lighting a bonfire and actually sitting at it. If you only light it, it doesn't reset mobs and it doesn't set your checkpoint.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

The_North posted:

Something that's tripped me up before: there's a difference between lighting a bonfire and actually sitting at it. If you only light it, it doesn't reset mobs and it doesn't set your checkpoint.

Yeah, I used the second one to level up though.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

SnipeShow posted:

Yeah, I used the second one to level up though.

Hmm weird. What console? Haven't experienced this on the Xbox, nor have I heard people complain about it before.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

As yesterday, if there's someone out there with a Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring they can give me I'd appreciate it. the character that needs it is level 23. My PSN is Sheep-Goats.

I got one offer yesterday but was logged off by the time it came in.

I've got a bunch of green shards you can have I guess. Not much else anyone would be interested in.

You should just go do Stray Demon, then use the 20,000 souls to buy the Crest from Andre the Blacksmith. There you can farm as many souls as you'll realistically need for a while. You'll earn back the 20,000 souls in <5 minutes and then some.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I support the PC much more than consoles in general, but I think Dark Souls really fits best on the consoles--It's an exception in many ways in that it actually benefits from depriving you of the ability to play it your way. The entire thing is defined in many ways by the difficulty, as that Sen's Fortress design commentary discussed. You have to conform to the game, not the other way around: You get one save, it constantly updates so no savescumming, online is entirely anonymous unless you jump through hoops to make it adjustable (which the PC would trivialize), you can't alter the game, you're simply given a challenge and it's up to you to complete it with what the game gives you.

Within that it still gives you a lot of freedom compared to many modern games, as there's no FOLLOW THIS GUY objective arrow constantly flashing on the screen, telling you exactly where to go and keeping you from going off the beaten path in any way. There's not much of a self-defined level of success or failure in Dark Souls, but the game does let you take it at your own pace and volition.

If it was a singleplayer-only game, of course people should have the ability to screw with it however they want. The ability to mod games like Elder Scrolls is a great thing and really improves them in general. But in the case of Dark Souls, simply because of the always-online way in which it's designed, this would bleed over into the multiplayer, hacking would be more rampant and easier to pull off, and even with attempts to disable mods/hacks/cheats when in online mode, people always find a way to bypass it on a large scale. Not saying this doesn't happen on consoles too, but PC games are more routinely dissembled and manipulated--In fact, it's an inevitability, and Dark Souls online is kind of based on everybody playing the game exactly as presented so they can help each other overcome the difficulty.

You could make the game nearly impossible to mod, sure, but there wouldn't be a great number of advantages over the console versions or a reason to go to all the effort to make a well-optimized PC version. I'd play a PC version and it would be great to experience Blighttown at 60 FPS (that place would be really fun if it just ran faster), but most of the other PC-specific benefits would end up compromising the quality of the game if you chose to use them. One of the only things I would like to have is a quicksave or something just to get back to boss doors and the like--I can run back to them and retrieve my souls every time without a problem, but it's tedious to go through a whole loading screen so the game can reset the 2 enemies that ran after me and then run all the way back. [/sperg]

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Also this kind of game actually works better with a controller. Losing the rumble would lessen the impact of the swordplay, and it's not like this is the kind of game that needs the razor precision of mouselook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Megalixir posted:

Man, this poo poo is deplorable. I guess I can understand someone wanting to do it for the offline single-player once they'd gone through the game a million times, but actively loving with other people online when the game kinda already does that with invasions in the first place is really terrible. There's absolutely no justification for it. What a shame that 360 players have to put up with that poo poo.

• Locked thread