Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Umberger posted:

You should just go do Stray Demon, then use the 20,000 souls to buy the Crest from Andre the Blacksmith. There you can farm as many souls as you'll realistically need for a while. You'll earn back the 20,000 souls in <5 minutes and then some.

My character is too dumb to buy anything from Griggs and Griggs is the only one that sells the ring. I don't want to waste two points to get the ring, and it does help with miracles which I do use. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

My character is too dumb to buy anything from Griggs and Griggs is the only one that sells the ring. I don't want to waste two points to get the ring, and it does help with miracles which I do use. I think.

It doesn't. It helps with Pyromancies and Sorceries, but there is a separate ring entirely for Miracles.

e: Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, found at the Darkmoon Tomb in Anor Londo.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

ivantod posted:

Isn't Quelaag immune to fire attacks?

I should probably rephrase and say that fire is the most effective against the second half bosses. Queelag might be immune, I can't confirm that. But I assumed he was past that point when he asked the question which was probably a dumb thing to do.

As for Demon Ruins, I honestly cannot remember if they are immune or not. It would make sense since both bosses are fire demons but I can't confirm it. I feel like I ran through it using a fire zweihander in NG+ but maybe I was using my claymore.

Anyways, I would personally upgrade a +10 fire if you are just PVEing and then grab something else and throw some lightning on it since the two upgrade paths use different stones.

I don't see why you would be limited to just the shortsword, or why you would use it at all to be frank (unless you just like the way it looks), but to each his own.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

SamBishop posted:

Man, this poo poo is deplorable. I guess I can understand someone wanting to do it for the offline single-player once they'd gone through the game a million times, but actively loving with other people online when the game kinda already does that with invasions in the first place is really terrible. There's absolutely no justification for it. What a shame that 360 players have to put up with that poo poo.

Making a decent client-side workaround for it shouldn't be too complicated though.

(The sum of your current stats + class-specific start level) should always equal (sum of class-specific start stats + current level); if clients checked that, they could easily ignore connections to peers reporting level 32 characters with 500 in every stat, effectively dropping a hacked character offline.

Someone with hacked but level-appropriate stats wouldn't be caught, but that's not as big of a problem. No idea why something like this hasn't been patched in already.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

SamBishop posted:

Man, this poo poo is deplorable. I guess I can understand someone wanting to do it for the offline single-player once they'd gone through the game a million times, but actively loving with other people online when the game kinda already does that with invasions in the first place is really terrible. There's absolutely no justification for it. What a shame that 360 players have to put up with that poo poo.

He has 3500 stamina. Remember the duping glitch with Dragon Head? Yeah that, except in PvP.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
AHHH gently caress the big knight rear end in a top hat at the bottom of the Burg tower. I really need that ring after neglecting End so much, but whittling him down always ends with a tiny screwup and him one shotting me.

I wish I'd been a spellcaster to start, Heal is useless until long after you can buy it

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

AHHH gently caress the big knight rear end in a top hat at the bottom of the Burg tower. I really need that ring after neglecting End so much, but whittling him down always ends with a tiny screwup and him one shotting me.

I wish I'd been a spellcaster to start, Heal is useless until long after you can buy it

Keep throwing yourself at him, all you have to do is get the timing right, and then the fight works like clockwork. Wait until he reaches a certain point in his wind up swing, roll behind him, backstab. Rinse and repeat, get awesome ring.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Oh gently caress that's what I'm doing but I always screw up somewhere along the way :(

Sure would be nice to grab that ring and be able to equip a non-potato-sack. I'm determined to kick his rear end with my naked ghoulish motherfucker but gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

WalletBeef posted:

The normal weapons (+5, +10, +15) need to have their weapon damage bonuses improved.
Their damage is still pathetically low compared to their lightening/fire counterparts.

This isn't true and can we get this in the OP because I'm getting tired of explaining this to people.

While lightning and fire weapons are great early on in the game, keep in mind that they're actually doing damage twice and thus have their damage reduced twice, once for physical armor and once more for the respective elemental armor. Late in the game and especially if you're PvPing at 120 +15 weapons with decent stat scaling and/or +5 unique weapons with decent stat scaling will out damage elemental weapons by a large amount if you've invested in the appropriate stat. In other words, the numbers you see on your character sheet as your total attack rating can be deceptive. A weapon that deals 500 damage of one damage type will out damage a weapon that deals 300/300 damage, even if your character sheet is telling you that your attack rating is 600 with the split damage weapon.

This doesn't need to be added but to quote myself from someplace else on the internet. Talking about how bad the Greatsword of Artorias is compared to just a +15 Claymore. Not 100% relevant but it shows how badly split damage types suffer from armor.

oneliquidninja posted:

Assuming 40 str/dex/faith/int...

Without an enchantment a +15 claymore does more damage then the GSoA because of how armor works.

The Claymore deals 524 physical damage and the GSoA deals 348/310.

So on paper it looks like the GoA deals 130 or so more damage but keep in mind that the GoA has to cut through two layers of armor. In actuality the claymore will deal around 13 more damage on your average SL 120 character wearing Giants Chest, Leggings, and Gauntlets (a very common PvP set up).

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 7, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Brace posted:

Keep throwing yourself at him, all you have to do is get the timing right, and then the fight works like clockwork. Wait until he reaches a certain point in his wind up swing, roll behind him, backstab. Rinse and repeat, get awesome ring.

Parrying works really well too. It's also good practice for learning how to parry, which is very handy for the final boss.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I don't think I've ever successfully parried. I just can't get the timing right, it always just ends up in me flailing my shield and getting slapped.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I really wish I had done co-op more frequently on my first run-through. Its really a blast. I typically don't like PvP, and really hate being invaded when I'm solo, but co-op combined with the invasions makes it really fun, even though I'm terrible and end up dying half the time.

Brace posted:

I don't think I've ever successfully parried. I just can't get the timing right, it always just ends up in me flailing my shield and getting slapped.

I think parry-oriented shields are easier to land parries on. Is that correct? But yeah, I'm pretty bad with parrying too. You have to time it just as they're about to hit. Its pretty easy for things like spears, but normal swords throw me for a loop.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXw86Vn8ko

TotalBiscuit talking about why he thinks Dark Souls should go on PC.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Like most enemies, he has a range that he'll follow you for. If you can get down below to aggro him, then sprint as fast as humanly possible up to the exit leading down the steps to the Undead Burg (where the four grunts were before), then that's right at the edge of his radius. Get him to attack with a hit, then move in close and take a poke while he's backing up. If he goes into the door and back down the stairs, you only need to get about 1/3 of the way toward the door and he'll come roaring back.

I was as spellcaster (well, Pyromancer with Sorcery) to start, and I had to kind of cheese him to avoid getting pummeled into mush. Sure, it's a little cheap, but the danger is no less prevalent.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
Who the gently caress is TotalBiscuit ?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Ball Stink posted:

I don't know, did you try looking it up ?

r0man
Dec 9, 2010
No, I don't want to go bowling.

Ball Stink posted:

He's a Youtube celebrity with a British accent. I don't like him very much but he does have a lot of fans so he can definitely help in convincing the developers to port Dark Souls to the PC.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Ball Stink posted:

This. He sounds like a prat.

I'm all for Dark Souls on PC but god, this guy's basically masturbating over his computer on this video.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

r0man posted:

He's a Youtube celebrity with a British accent. I don't like him very much but he does have a lot of fans so he can definitely help in convincing the developers to port Dark Souls to the PC.

I don't like him much either. Or anyone for that matter who relies on their endowed "otherness" (in this case his British accent) rather than being interesting or talented, to garner popularity.

However, in this rare case he does provide a compelling argument for porting this game to the PC. And I am all for more people playing Dark Souls so that developers at large realize the growing desire for difficult, well-developed games.

And if TotalHalibut/Biscuit influences this process than I'll hold him only in minor contempt.

That said, does anyone know of any other RPGs with engaging combat that have come out recently? I haven't played too many games the past couple of years, but how was The Witcher 2?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Umberger posted:

It doesn't. It helps with Pyromancies and Sorceries, but there is a separate ring entirely for Miracles.

e: Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, found at the Darkmoon Tomb in Anor Londo.

Wikidot wiki :argh:

Oh well, a kind soul gave me his ring anyway. Helps a lot with my pyromancies anyway!

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Brace posted:

I don't know, did you try looking it up ?

How long was that one in the burn-bank?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Honestly though, Totalbiscuit has some ok videos/opinions but he's pretty annoying and generally videos like that aren't worth the time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SamBishop posted:

I was as spellcaster (well, Pyromancer with Sorcery) to start, and I had to kind of cheese him to avoid getting pummeled into mush. Sure, it's a little cheap, but the danger is no less prevalent.

I encountered this dude via Darkroot, and he's much easier to take down that way. Bait him through the door, back down the steps, wait for him to swing, then strike. I don't think I took any damage, although it was obviously cheap. That loving ring is amazing! My Pyro is becoming much more of an axe wielding maniac who occasionally tosses out fire.

I just took down the Gaping Dragon. Pretty easy if you're careful about him stomping all over you. At one point I got a message that my weapon broke, but when I respawned at the bonfire none of my weapons look broke. Should I be looking at something besides durability?

Edit: I'm also going painfully slow I think. It's taken me close to 20 hours to get to Blightown. :( I'm having a blast, but skimming the thread and seeing y'all talk about areas I haven't hear of yet makes me think this game is going to own me for a long time.

EC fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 7, 2012

r0man
Dec 9, 2010
No, I don't want to go bowling.

artism posted:

I don't like him much either. Or anyone for that matter who relies on their endowed "otherness" (in this case his British accent) rather than being interesting or talented, to garner popularity.

However, in this rare case he does provide a compelling argument for porting this game to the PC. And I am all for more people playing Dark Souls so that developers at large realize the growing desire for difficult, well-developed games.

And if TotalHalibut/Biscuit influences this process than I'll hold him only in minor contempt.

That said, does anyone know of any other RPGs with engaging combat that have come out recently? I haven't played too many games the past couple of years, but how was The Witcher 2?

Exactly. As long as he can shape the industry in favor of hardcore PC games I can tolerate him.

Have you tried Mount and Blade: Warband? It's a great RPG with the second best sword combat in video games. There's a fully featured demo on Steam and Taleworlds' website which lets you play the game up until level 7. It has a huge modding community and a spin off title called With Fire and Sword, which is alright.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

artism posted:

How long was that one in the burn-bank?

About as long as he saved it(nothing else to add!) while ignoring the other dozen+ people making GBS threads all over him.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

r0man posted:

Oh so this is like another Yahtzee or whatever. I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EC posted:

I just took down the Gaping Dragon. Pretty easy if you're careful about him stomping all over you. At one point I got a message that my weapon broke, but when I respawned at the bonfire none of my weapons look broke. Should I be looking at something besides durability?

I'm not sure if weapons actually "break" as in shattering and disappearing from your inventory. But once they get below half durability, their effectiveness falls off a cliff, and the game warns you as such. A few enemy attacks can bring them into this condition immediately, like the Gaping Dragon's wave of sludge.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So I got a little cocky and ended up getting my dumb rear end Cursed. Not a big deal, I think, as the handy little section in the OP points out what to do. The problem is there's a couple of guys in big armour hanging out by the stairs that demolish my poo poo every time I try to get to the Undead Parish elevator. Is this supposed to happen? Or is it because I killed the guy sitting in about the same area when I started the game, just to see if I could? I know I can get a Curse cure other ways but I'd like my elevator back too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

So I got a little cocky and ended up getting my dumb rear end Cursed. Not a big deal, I think, as the handy little section in the OP points out what to do. The problem is there's a couple of guys in big armour hanging out by the stairs that demolish my poo poo every time I try to get to the Undead Parish elevator. Is this supposed to happen? Or is it because I killed the guy sitting in about the same area when I started the game, just to see if I could? I know I can get a Curse cure other ways but I'd like my elevator back too.

It's because you killed the guy sitting in about the same area when you started the game, just to see if you could. He was waiting for some companions. Those are his companions. And they're avenging his untimely death all over your big dumb cleric-stabbing face.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Human NPCs in Firelink Shrine at the bottom of the elevator? Yes, those are attacking you because you killed Petrus (the guy who sells you Miracles).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Bluetooth human being posted:

But a silly question. There's no way to increase the speed at which I swing a weapon at? I have the Black Knight sword and would like to switch to it, but it seems to swing so slow that it'd be too dangerous to use.

I just did a playthrough with the Black Knight sword. When you upgrade it at all it quickly surpasses the Drake sword in damage and is great to backstab with. The slowness can certainly get you killed, so having an alt weapon to switch to is useful. Especially with enemies like the giants in Anor Londo, slow swinging will get you dead. One thing I suggest is to try two-handed a lot as well, you'll stagger pretty much any enemy with it which will give you time to swing again and chop them up. Another is to experiment with the running attack, it'll swipe faster than a normal attack and leave the enemy reeling. And never use R2 except on knights- right after you riposte or backstab them, you can time the strong attack to hit right as they get up, and that can be helpful.

I had the Drake sword on switch until I got to Anor Londo and made a lighting Balder Side Sword, and I was pretty set.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not sure if weapons actually "break" as in shattering and disappearing from your inventory. But once they get below half durability, their effectiveness falls off a cliff, and the game warns you as such. A few enemy attacks can bring them into this condition immediately, like the Gaping Dragon's wave of sludge.

Ah, that makes sense. I had a Sorcerer's thingy that was below half. Speaking of, I'm not really that impressed with the Magic Weapon sorcery. It doesn't seem to be worth the time it takes to cast during combat, and the duration isn't really long enough to have it be effective if you cast it before battle. I'm sure all that poo poo is documented in the wiki, but I'm having fun working it out.

Dark Souls Problems: debating whether or not to bring your 360 to the lake house for the weekend, so you can play while everyone else is getting drunk and watching LSU football.

Edit: I had no idea you could kill NPCs. That is loving hilarious that it not only lets you do it, but punishes you eventually for doing it.

EC fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 7, 2012

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Oxxidation posted:

It's because you killed the guy sitting in about the same area when you started the game, just to see if you could. He was waiting for some companions. Those are his companions. And they're avenging his untimely death all over your big dumb cleric-stabbing face.

But he went down so easily and his friends are so strong! :downs: Serves me right for assaulting something that didn't hit me first.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

EC posted:

Edit: I had no idea you could kill NPCs. That is loving hilarious that it not only lets you do it, but punishes you eventually for doing it.

It's very useful to do before starting a NG+ because of certain drops, plus you get a ton of Humanity. Also helpful for getting your Estus Flask upgraded ASAP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ball Stink posted:

Oh so this is like another Yahtzee or whatever. I guess.

He's a hell of a lot better than Yahtzee because he actually has no problem saying that he likes a game, and does more than self-contradictory reviews while actively looking for things to make fun of. He makes a lot of indie game reviews and gets small devs a lot of publicity, which has allowed quite a few of them to take off on PC. I guess some people think he sounds like Yahtzee because says a lot of games are bad, but typically when he says that, they are and it's more that he just doesn't bother hiding his opinions.

This is actually the first time I've seen him give so much attention to a console game.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

He's a hell of a lot better than Yahtzee because he actually has no problem saying that he likes a game, and does more than self-contradictory reviews while actively looking for things to make fun of. He makes a lot of indie game reviews and gets small devs a lot of publicity, which has allowed quite a few of them to take off on PC. I guess some people think he sounds like Yahtzee because says a lot of games are bad, but typically when he says that, they are and it's more that he just doesn't bother hiding his opinions.

This is actually the first time I've seen him give so much attention to a console game.

Yeah thank god he spread about Garshasp I don't know what I would have done had I missed that gem.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring boosts your damage with the Moonlight Greatsword? I'm at 50 Int already to use that spell, so it hits pretty hard. But I want it to hit harder, if giving up my flip ring will do it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Chard posted:

Does anyone know if the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring boosts your damage with the Moonlight Greatsword? I'm at 50 Int already to use that spell, so it hits pretty hard. But I want it to hit harder, if giving up my flip ring will do it.

The R2/RT attack of it, or just the sword in general? Sword melee damage, no. Sword special attack, 99% sure that's also no (the special attack is also pretty bad in general). That ring increases your spell damage, it does not affect your Int at all.

Felk
Jun 25, 2011
Yeah, I just tested it and I can verify that it doesn't increase the damage of any of it's moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That's kind of what I figured, although it would be a cool synergy. I guess I'll stick with maxed out pyro glove and the stubby magic sword combo.

e: Does the other player not locking onto you affect your lockon ability? It seems like sometimes the range I can get a lock on people is a LOT shorter than normal. Is this lag?

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2012

• Locked thread