Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Does the CE even have anything worthwhile? I don't care about the box the game comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Systems_Id posted:

The Asylum Demon totally didn't wreck my face the first time I saw him.

Dumbed down game confirmed.:colbert:

I spent about ten minutes punching him in the rear end before I saw that open door and left. I'm thinking of trying to kill him that way tomorrow.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been busy dying for a just about an hour and a half now. I've got two questions:

Is there a sensible way to kill the black knight in the undead burg? I've fought him a lot, but even if I manage to get in some serious backstabbing, I don't seem to do him much damage.

Also, I used the master key to go downstairs in that big spiral room. There's a dude with a huge club down there. A floor message suggested backstabbing, which I tried. A backstab only seemed to cost him about five percent of his health, though, and he one-shots me.

Should I leave these two alone for the moment?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm wondering about the fastest way to kill the guys with shields and spears. Someone above suggests kicking them, but when I kick the guys, it doesn't break their guard. Likewise, I'm not fast enough to get around behind them, even rolling - I don't think I've ever killed one other than by waiting for him to strike and hitting him quickly before he can.

These guys are taking me forever, longer on average than I took for the boar.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just finally finished the belltower gargoyles. It was my first time seeing them, and I sort of freaked. Ran around slashing like crazy, and, miraculously, I never even got hit. They were just whiffing like crazy.

I'm soul level 18, hanging around with my white sign outside their door right now. Want to do it again.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just got summoned for the gargoyles, and killed them. I've been waiting around with a sign on the floor for about ten minutes now, and no one has asked for my help.

I just want to be useful.

Soul level is low, though, 18.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

RBA Starblade posted:

loving hell when can you even begin to fight a black knight? I'm 30 and he's still breaking through all my stamina and half my health each hit and there's nowhere to dodge because it's a small loving tower.

e: And their attacks stop healing from the flask? Seriously? How is that even remotely fair?

Get out of the tower. If you're talking about the guy in the Parish, go down the tower, get into that courtyard, then backstab him to death.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Finally beat Capra with the help of a dude named lord_of_mudkips. Thanks, dude, and thanks other dude with a less memorable name!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Where's the bonfire in the depths? I saw an orange message saying one was near, just before the huge rat, but I didn't find it before I got killed.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

How do I get to the bonfire below the bridge dragon? I just want to join the sunlight glowy knights. :(

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Any tips for using the Bandit Knife to maximum effect? I really like its backstabbing ease and bleed effect.

I just pushed it to +7, and I'm getting 350 damage on a backstab, which is nice.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I spent a big part of the evening hanging out in front of Capra's fog gate, putting down summon sign after summon sign. I killed him 8 times, and then joined the Sunlight covenant with only 11 Faith.

I hope I got to help out somebody here. Having a friend or two makes Capra die fast.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hamburger Test posted:

Just before Second bell spoiler stuff.

Well gently caress I did it. Killed Mildred Kindled the bonfireSummoned Mildred, and went in - halfway through she got stuck in a wall and was no help, so I had to finish off the boss with just my Halberd +4.

Man that was intense.

I had a similar situation - Mildred got stuck between a huge pool of lava and a wall, leaving me to deal with Quelaag for most of the fight. When the pool finally cooled/disappeared, she came back in to help with the last quarter of the boss's health bar..

I was using the black knight greatsword, which made a lot of difference. I'd been using a Bandit Knife +8, which does murderous backstab damage, but now so many enemies don't have backs!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just beat him :smith: took me like two hours. The bandit knife is what did it for me, gently caress bleed is strong. If I were to upgrade that thing up to lightning or whatever, will the bleed effect still be strong?

The bleed effect should stay the same. You might miss out on the stat scaling once the patch comes through, though. I'm sitting on a +10 Bandit Knife and waiting to see.

That thing is my favorite. Biggest critical bonus of anything in the game.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Polite Tim posted:

I got the first gargoyle down to about 1/10th health before the second one turned up and stunlocked me with his firebreath, will attempt to get some humanity somewhere. Is it worth going through blighttown or darkroot gardens to pick up some souls/humanity/gear first?

If you've got the masterkey, you can go down into the Valley of the Drakes from Firelink, and pick up a fire-resistant shield from in front of the zombie dragon. That should take care of your fire problem. You could also just make sure to keep gargoyle between you and the second until the first is dead.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just bought the Adventurers armor from the depths merchant, and it's hilarious and awesome. Covered in fake medals and just so jingly.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

smuh posted:

I'm only saying this because I have friends who are not really interested in games that want to play this, but the game would be way too unforgiving for them to enjoy it alone :(

They might like it anyway. The last game I played seriously was Diablo 2, but I got a little taste of Demons' Souls, then bought a PS3 last month just for Demons/Dark Souls.

I also got a couple of other things - Space Marine, Ninja Gaiden, Heavy Rain - but I haven't so much as opened the boxes since Dark Souls came out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm SL 36, sitting outside the Iron Golem's boss area, waiting for a summon. I've been summoned twice in the last hour. The first time, the dude and killed it no problem. The second time, there was a bit of lag, and I got knocked off the edge right away.

I'm eager for that patch - I need more sunlight medals.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been reading this thread since the game came out, so I'd heard about those two snipers with the huge bows in Anor Londo. Everyone hated them, much like everyone hated the Capra Demon. I didn't have much trouble with Capra at all, so I thought to myself, "it won't be that bad."

gently caress. If only.

I'm at least fifteen deaths in at this point. I've lost multiple blood stains, probably totaling 50k in souls. I know for a fact I've lost at least five humanity. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this one area has me in such a state.

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there. :(

There's a bonfire fairly close - just two big knights and about five of those lightning spear demon things between you and the jerks with the bows.

I thought they weren't supposed to respawn, though. I summoned some guy, we killed them, then I fell off something and died, and now they're back. Off to get some poison arrows.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just leveled enough to get 20 faith, and so I can finally use the Lightning Spear miracle that the Sunlight covenant gave me. It looks really awesome, but I'm having trouble using it effectively.

Is there any way to hit things at beyond targeting distance? Some way to aim it would go a long way toward making it a viable weapon.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh also I got a black knight sword which does more than drake sword and scales but is a bit slow, worth upgrading this? I have the twinkling titanite to take it to +2 or +3

I've used the black knight sword +2 to good effect on Quelaag and the Iron Golem.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hell Diver posted:

What do people tend to run S&O or the Golem at?

I got a bunch golem summons in the early 30s, with a drop-off when I hit about 38.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm just trying Ornstein and Smough now, and they're really fun. Mega Ornstein is tearing the crap out me and anyone I summon - I've tried staying back and drinking Estus while letting my summoned Sunlight Bros take care of him, but that hasn't worked well. Any good strategies?

Also, I sent my summons a note on PSN, just saying "Jolly Co-operation!"

In return, I got

quote:

i lold X3

I guess them's the perils of being an older dude in online games.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Polo-Rican posted:

Dark Souls 1.2 Patch Details

• Mushroom Men damage doubled
• All Anor Lando rooms and hallways doubled in size
• All marble floors in Anor Lando replaced with poison swampwater
• Increased intensity of green filter in Blighttown Swamp
• Players can only read first 4 letters of user messages unless Guidance miracle purchased
• New monster: Item Mimics. Some items on corpses may eat you if picked up
• Peer-to-peer matchmaking now limited to players within earshot
• Increased subtitle line spacing to 400pt
• All item descriptions now in Wingdings until user casts "Ecclesia of Sight" miracle
• Doubled number of archers in Duke's Archives
• Looking at a Firekeeper "the wrong way" now permanently kills her
• Skeletons and ghosts now give negative 300 souls
• Increased volume of Frampt Teeth Clicking sound effect

I'm oddly OK with everything here except that last one. It already drives me crazy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Elysiume posted:

Dual wield Bandit's Knives and only put points into dexterity.

Can you get two Bandit Knives? I'd love to try that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ayn Randi posted:

are there more hard bits in anor londo after that run up the roof to the two sniper knights? because uh, i did that in two attempts and never got hit by an arrow in either case, run straight line jumproll around one shot and you're in melee range, why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. SL33 and anor londo has been a pleasant walk in the park so far, but judging by the levels in this thread i'm gonna be way too low for the matchmaker to find a viable summon partner for the boss :/

I get killed by the two big knights outside the boss room there pretty often, at least if I'm on my own. Taking the two of them at once is really hard.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I really want Ornstein's armor, and I'd also like to be done with New Londo and to move on to bigger and better things.

These two desires seem to conflict, though. Mega-Ornstein is killing me like crazy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think you're just a bit high level for Capra. I stood outside his door at level 22, and I got summoned 8 times in a row, waiting only five minutes or so between fights. At your level, you'll probably get summoned a bunch for Quelaag or the Iron Golem. I did the golem about five times one evening right at mid-30s.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pope Mobile posted:

Yeah I'm hopping down.

As for not draining the water you get a ring of underwater breath if you trick the Gaping Dragon into falling off the waterfall to its death. It also has to have its tail still. Actually, what I should have said is "at least I don't have to run through all of New Londo just to get back to the boss."

Holy crap, how do you do that?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm about to try O&S again. I'm level 48 on the PS3. Anybody want to help a poor non-pyro/magic user out?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just picked up two friends and went over to Ornstein and Smough's place. We all sort of ganged up on Smough, kicked his rear end, and then they went to town on Mega-Ornstein while I stood out of the way and knocked back estus to keep my buds' healthy.

It was awesome. This is also like my 15th attempt at them.

This game is seriously fun multiplayer, when it works.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ornstein's armor looks weird or awesome with the Helm of the Wise.

I can't decide which.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

CodfishCartographer posted:

Where's a good spot to place my summon sign down to help folks with Capra? I just joined the sunbros and are looking to help out those in need.

I got lots of hits putting my sign down right in front of the fog gate.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sentrygun posted:

It doesn't help that 99/100 times I can't get online, so I can't enjoy one of the cooler aspect of the game. Until they release the patch that hopefully fixes the freeze on startup when connected to PSN issue, I don't even really want to play.

Is there any info about what causes the freeze? My PS3 has never frozen playing the game (or doing anything, actually).

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is no time to limit yourself, you're on a mission from GOD!

...well, actually a mission from a giant snake who lives underground that only you can talk to.

I do sort of like the idea that the world of Dark Souls is just a regular, bustling place, and your character is delusional, smashing his way through civilized cities at the behest of a huge, imaginary snake.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

McKilligan posted:

So, I'm kinda stuck at Ornstein and Smough. The first half of the battle isn't bad at all - I die alot, but I can kill Smough without too much trouble - my problem is that I can barely scratch Ornstein in part 2 - I'm using the lightning spear I found in Sen's fortress right now, but I've also got my divine broadsword +5. The spear tears up Smough's fat rear end like it was playdough, obviously lightning damage doesn't mean poo poo to Ornstein, and my divine broadsword is only averaging about 60-70 per hit, so whittling the bastard down is going to take a while.

Frankly I've just about gotten to the point where I almost want to give up, go clear a few alternate areas and just come back later. Is there a way to get the gently caress out of Anor Londo without the lordvessel, or am I just going to have to tough it out? I want to get a piece of the catacombs and giants, maybe find some white titanite and get my sword to +10 before I go back and thrash these bastards.

Get some humanity and summon up some friends. I was in a similar situation, but where one person may fail, three will work really nicely.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So, storywise, why does Lautrec kill Anastasia? He didn't tell me, and no one else has mentioned it. What's he doing?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

drat, that's just cold. Well, at least she can talk now.

Sorry you had to be dead for a bit, lady.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Another question! If I keep perservering is there a point where I eventually outlevel/skill or whatever everyone and the game is a joke, aka just about every game ever?

Also, when you guys say "good refelexs" do you mean like MvC3 good, or like, not that insane?

There is no point where the game is a joke. Once you're used to it, you'll have very little trouble with basic enemies, but even at a high level and with very good gear, a single mistake, particularly when there's a crowd of 3 or 4 basic enemies around, will kill you.

Also, I don't know what MvC3 is, but you need to be quick, observant, and methodical to fight well in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cuchulain posted:

Sif is protecting her master's grave. Sif is a GOOD DOG.
I didn't want to do it either, I made it quick.

She's my dog, I'll do it pa. :qq:

This makes me want to put my sign down to assist on Sif, then just stand back and watch sternly as my summoner takes her on.

• Locked thread