Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So I got to play this for the first time at a friend's place yesterday. It's like Godhand and Legend of Zelda had a really hardcore kid. It's so amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Demitri Omni posted:

So, is there any reason to use Cestus other than to be completely awful? I really want to be a punch man, and I'm thinking of creating a new character at some point (I made a pyromancer, and coming from marauder it was... Not successful.

And you amazingly, ridiculously good at parrying? If so, Cestus are very light, so you can use them without slowing yourself down at all, and the left hand jabs are the fastest hit in the game.

However, nobody on earth is THAT good with Parry, so they're not worth it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Well you should always be going in to fight the boss there at full health, provided you put on the ring that gives you health every time you kill something. You can fill up on the baby skelletons in a matter of seconds.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

What's this? A Black Phantom invading me in the Church? Too bad there's nobody here in the attic but us barrels! :iamafag:

EAT LASER

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

Hey so, this has been making the rounds.

Holy poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I finally got my hands on this game. Now I think I've ruined my character and I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smaug. I really don't want to restart, I can't handle another fresh run through Blighttown. :suicide:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Sumadartson posted:

Ok, what does your character look like atm? Stats? Equipment? Try Ornstein & Smough a couple of times, make sure you can semi-reliably take out one of them. Then, to get extra souls, get summoned and defeat them. Helping someone out with them nets you a neat 15k souls.

If your kit hasn't been upgraded completely yet, make sure you a) have an elemental weapon and b) have a strong as gently caress shield. You can get back to sen's fortress by talking to the gargoyles at the beginning of Anor Londo.

When I was SL20 I decided not to do Blightown right off the bat and went exploring, and I killed Havel, the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, stole some loot from an apparently undead dragon, kill a large Butterfly, managed to lose 25k souls from Havel and the Hydra to a ghost knight in the woods, watched a girl version of robin hood kill herself to avoid my swing. I finally did Blighttown, then killed the giant horrible monster made of lava with all the extra arms.

The problem is I got a Black Knight greatsword off the Black knight right next to the Hellkite Dragon. I decided I was going to use it, so I pumped my strength up to 32. I've got stats all over the place and am at SL52 now.

I'm using +5 Elite Knight Chest and Legs, Black Iron gloves, and the hood you can't upgrade from the demon ruins. I've got a +1 Lightning Spear and the Eagle shield from Sen's Fortress. Havel's Ring makes me light enough to have full mobility, I switch off my other ring depending on what I'm doing. I've got +8Pyromancy.

I've killed all the demons in the tar pit and all the giants on the roof of Sen's Fortress. I've done every optional thing, as far as I can tell, but I just can't finish this boss fight. Even if I bring Solaire, I always die to the giant lightning AoE that one shots me once they go Voltron. Should I just grind for more Health? My Vitality is less then 20, it feels pretty crippling.

GreenAcidRage posted:

You can also skip pretty much all of Blighttown if you take the Master Key as your gift, so do that.

I have the Master Key, actually. During my exploits around the world, I found the other entrance to Blighttown and decided to go up the ladder instead of going to Blighttown. I was murdered by forest ghosts and lost my precious 25k souls.

Oh, two things I've been wondering about. Who makes Fire weapons, and where's the Pyromancy guy in Blighttown? I saw Soapstone makers saying "Pyromancy ahead" and "Here!" on a little island, but nobody is there.

Also how the gently caress does Onion Man move so fast? I save him in Anor Londo, and twenty minutes later I'm saving him in Blighttown.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 25, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Leyburn posted:

Fire Weapons from the blacksmith in the Catacombs, and the Blighttown Pyro Trainer only appears if you are a bad enough dude.

How bad a dude? :ohdear:

I have a +5 Longsword sitting in my bag waiting to be set on fire, off to the catacombs I go! Or maybe I should kill Lautrec first. But I really hate fighting those Giant paladins in the main cathedral. Decisions, decisions.

Sumadartson posted:

Have you upgraded your eagle shield? It makes a ton of difference in blocking. I've got a knight's shield at +9 and it's like a portable wall.

It's +4 I think. The only attack I have any trouble with is the rear end-slam that kills me if I'm anywhere on the same side of the room as Smaug. It's not as bad is Ornstein is the one who gets it though. May as well give it a try first thing tomorrow.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

This is the only game I've heard Ye Olde English type speech in where it fits perfectly and isn't grating at all. I figure out what my problem was in the Ornstein and Smaug fight. I had 12 vitality. :iamafag:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Save Rhea and kill Nico and Vince. Go to the Church and talk to Rhea, she'll mention Petrus abandonded her. Take the elevator down, kill the bastard. It's still a sin, but she survives.

I accidentally did all of Lost Izalith without finding the second bonfire, killed all the horrible things in the basement without finding Seig, and lost Sunbro. It's all falling apart. :negative:

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

I finally found some time to play more Dark Souls, got through Blighttown and up to Quelaag today, I didn't have any problems with Blighttown. Comments in this thread lead me to believe it would be much worse...

Been avoiding enemies? The biggest lesson I have learned in my time playing is don't kill everything. I tried that for so long before I learned to ignore the trash on my way to the real threats.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Did you know that rolling avoids Dragonbow arrows? Jog towards the guy, mash B. I beat Anor Londo on NG+ in seven minutes. 90% of the hard parts of this game is avoidable, just develop a good "gently caress That" sense of when and how to get out of danger.

That said, Dark Souls is the best game I have ever played.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Emron posted:

I almost never use magic, even though I've upgraded my pyromancy fist to +9. Basically I just keep the Thorolund talisman as my secondary left hand...

Wait you can equip the same spell twice? Jesus that would have made O&S so much easier the first time around.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Last time I killed her before I knew it, as I didn't know staggering her was what de-invis'd her. I never saw her health bar a single time. I wanted to try to get her tail right from the start this time. I can't decide if I want to go with a Great Fireball or a zweihander hit.

Neither. Grab something that doesn't deal much damage, like your trusty Drake Sword. Stagger her with your good weapon. Switch to your Drake Sowrd. Two hand it. Chop her tail off in like three seconds.

Also, NG+++ is starting to get a little silly.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I think he meant the Red Slabs.

Thing I've noticed about PvP in this game: Hanging out the Undead burg at level 100 turns you into a god of Karmic Justice better then Darkmoon ever does, and Resist is an amazing stat for PvP. Vit/End/Res build and Backstabs from elemental weapons hit me for like 1/20th of my health.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

oneliquidninja posted:

Resist really isn't an amazing stat. Every two points of humanity will do pretty much what one resist does. Don't get me wrong, I really want to like Resist but it's just not there. Vit and End both do more for your survival then Resist and until level 150 or so I can't see resist as a viable investment.

I should mention I'm level 99 in this build. Also that Humanity damage reduction stacks with Resist. I think it's a percent of your base, too. With a ring I've got 400-500 Physical and over 300 in each magic type. It's not awful when paired with Very high End/Vit.

It's not like I need the scaling from my other stats for damage, anyway. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

oneliquidninja posted:

Odds are what Cuchulain is experiencing has a lot more to do with him PvPing at level 100 against low level invaders then it does with what he's invested in Resistance.

It was actually against someone else in NG+(They had on Gwyn's crown) in Dark Anor Londo. They instagibbed the other blue phantom they were fighting and then backstabbed me for a pitiful fraction of my health. :shobon:

I mean, it's not a stat I would level past say, 30 or so. But it's not as totally worthless as people make it out to be.

Elysiume posted:

I'm US and 360. :saddowns:

Do the guys in the Duke's Archive take extra damage from fire or anything? I want these shitheads to die, and requiring more than one hit from a zweihander or Gravelord sword is super not okay. If so, I might make...a greataxe fire or something. I don't know.

edit: Maybe an uchigatana.

I'm almost positive they're weak to fire, if you mean the Crystal Undead.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

oneliquidninja posted:

But those 20 points could go into Endurance which would increase your weight capacity by 20. Which, relatively speaking, would let you wear better armor that would also increase your defenses and probably poise as well. And if you're not at the stamina cap Endurance would give you stamina on top of that. I think pound for pound Endurance is a better stat to invest in even past the stamina cap, unless you're somehow already wearing the best armor in the game and staying under 50% equip burden.

It's also possible the backstab was a lag stab. So it looked like a backstab but didn't actually register as one.

I really do want to like Resistance but I'm just not convinced it's any good.

Definitely a backstab, he caught me with it about twelve times before I finally killed him. :negative:

This character is at 40 Vit/End already. Resist gives a good amount of defense, I get to keep my speedy roll while wearing bits of the Black Iron set, and I have enough poise to ignore light attacks. I'm also just starting NG+x4 and only ever have difficulty in New Londo(because I am a big stupid who refuses to buy curses)

Mind you, if you're SL300 or something, Resist will look very lovely. Of courses, if you're SL300 and need defense from anything, you have problems that can't be fixed at the stat screen.

Try it out, it's nice.

I hope 360 gets the patch soon. I'm eager to play through again without Iron Flesh on a fresh run.

Did anyone else hit a point where they ditched "better" gear for style? I spent most of my first run wearing a mishmash of stuff before building myself the sexiest set I could that gave me a good amount of poise/speed. I look like a Death Metal Link now, it feels very appropriate for Dark Souls.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

waspinator posted:

I can stop plugging my stream then if no one's interested anymore :) my bad~!

I enjoy knowing when your stream is on, personally.

Murodese posted:

loving Capra Demon. Jesus christ.

The worst part is, it's not the Demon, it's the dogs. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

You know, the way things scale in NG+ is odd. Everything is adjusted on it's own. Some enemies get a bigger health increase then others, some get more damage. New Londo Ghosts, for example, get a teeny health increase, and a GIANT damage boost. Something like 2 to 3 times as much. It's bonkers.

Also NGx5 is starting to border on the obscene.

Wasp, you probably CAN use the special effect. I keep a Channeler's trident on me when I PvP just for the silly dance, despite not being able to use it right.

Speaking of which, get yourself a Trident.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Why even walk around with a million souls? Who needs that much? I'm getting 3k+ from every silver Knight now, and I have nothing to spend money on any more.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Is there any way that I could have saved Siegmeyer? I don't like this ending. :(

Yes you can. It's very difficult and requires you say the right things to his daughter and keep him at VERY high health in his last fight.

My answer is different then the incorrect answer on the last page.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Hey if all you want is Humanity for Sunbro you can get a huge amount just by spending a half hour or so in Tomb of Giants murdering babies and get that Humanity guilt-free.

SPOILERS FOR THIS STORYLINE He still dies, dude, even if you save him in Izalith.

That's funny, he looked fine when I saw him and his daughter at Ash lake. Honestly, I have no idea what controls the last bit. I've saved him three times and he's been Hollowed in two of them. I think it has something to do with your interaction with his daughter. Both times he's been dead she's said stuff about him going off on his "last adventure". The one time he didn't, she wasn't even AT Firelink Shrine, and they were standing around at Ash Lake.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 2, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Well you at least have to make sure he doesn't "take a nap" after the fight. Something ELSE controls his Hollow/Unhollow state

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Mandatory area that has an NPC summon sign, Good for griefing, people aren't sure what they're getting into at first?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

My take on it is Quelaag hunted folks stupid enough to wander into Blighttown, then fed their humanity to her sister in order to alleviate her pain. That would fit in nicely with the general theme of their story, which is equal parts horrific and tragic.. Not happy stuff, really.

Which makes her creepy smile make more sense. She's probably happy to see someone stuffed full of humanity wandering into her cave.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The Orange Charred Ring talks about him, actually. He's probably not mutated, but something like the Taurus and Capras, wholly created by the Bed.

The Bed, meanwhile, is a giant women, probably the Witch herself. Look at the "Tree" before it falls over, or the shape in the fire when it breaks free.

I think you meet five of them, maybe more if the Stray Demon/Big Pilgrim are witches. Firesage seems more likely to be one though.

The five definite ones are Queelag, Queelana the Pyrotrainer, Fair Lady, Psychoface von Firepillar in Izalith, and The Witch infested with evil woodmites as The Bed of Chaos

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Spear if you've got a Greatshield, but nothing beats the cool factor of Moonlight Greatsword, Crystal Ring shield, and dual catalysts. Cast Great Magic Weapon, Great Magic Shield, turn invisible, and charge at people with homing soulmass. Once they run, then you start shooting lasers.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 2, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

The second one and the fourth one are one and the same.

They are certainly not, unless she asked me to kill her Mother, had a change of heart, tried to kill me, was summarily murdered, got better, and decided to keep teaching me pyromancy without ever mentioning it again afterwards.

E;F:B. But still, that doesn't make any sense. It's more likely to me that the Gold Hemmed set is just what all of the witches wore when they were human-ish. The one that didn't visibly mutate is still wearing it. And Ceaseless Discharge is watching over his "mother's" corpse. Which you steal the clothing off of in front of him.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 3, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bland posted:

I think the game itself is wrong to be honest. The whole thing doesn't make much sense so I assume it's an oversight

Honestly, that being Queelana doesn't make any sense, given Queelana's dialog about how she tore rear end away from the city and never went back, and how she's terrified of going there, and how her cowardice is the only thing keeping her alive, etc...

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Zodar posted:

Based on the locations of the bodies holding their gear, half of the NPC phantoms in this game died trying to beat the bosses of their respective stages.

Not Tarkus, though. He beat the Iron Golem and made it to AL, but fell to his death while trying to cross the rafters in full heavy-iron armor.

has the daaawn ever seen your eyessss

Given how he's slumped in the corner, I think he made it down, tried to make a run for the Painted World and one of two thing happened. Either he couldn't get into the painting was was killed by the Guardians, or he Did make it in, died, and his body was thrown out.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

What? Ash Lake is gorgeous. Granted all it has are clams and a Hydra boss, but still.

Also the way the Hydra swims in from the horizon, how big he is, and the loving jump he does are all amazing.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yo those chaos octopus enemies are legit creepy as poo poo especially when they do their instant death grab right after they break your equipment.

Also Ash Lake totally owns???? I hope you get punched by a mushroom man in real life.

The best part? They're all Nuns. Like Rhea.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Unless I missed some lore about the chaos eaters somewhere (the giant things that walk on their tentacles that you fight with onionbro), it sounds like you're thinking about the squid heads in the duke's archives.

I'm really tired and totally misread! That's exactly what I was talking about.

I don't know why, but Chaos Eaters legit creep me out. They reawaken some deep seated childhood fear of some cheaply made monster from the 70's, I think from Doctor Who or something. They genuinely make me uncomfortable. Of course, I love fire weapons, so I guess I need Red Slabs from somewhere... :gonk:

Question: Gravelord Sword. It causes Toxic, does it cause bleed like every other Curved Sword? And can you apply Rotting Resin to it?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

They also drop Stamina Grass constantly, it's nice.

Four Kings of NG+ get a decent damage adjustment, and a LARGE health adjustment. I did it with a +5 Lightning Spear, 8 Chaos Fireball casts, 8 Great Combustions, and three Iron Flesh.

Cast Iron Flesh, wait on him with your biggest weapon till you're out of Stamina, magic until it's back, repeat. You need more firepower, not more survivability.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 3, 2011

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Garbow posted:

As I was playing Castlevania:SOTN yesterday, I kinda realized Dark Souls is basically a 3D Castlevania done right.

Atleast in my experience, because my SOTN experience is "oh poo poo, i'm low on health, should i try and forge ahead, hope there's a save point, or go BACK and save? gently caress i'll just go for i-gently caress I GOT HIT IM hosed GOTTA RUN BACK"

Close. Dark Souls is the best 3D Zelda game. And I loving love Zelda.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Bed of Chaos is by far the worst fight I've had in this game so far. Absolutely nothing has even come close. Run three minutes to even get here (admittedly I fight the titanite demon, I worry he'll kill me in the back), then get instantly killed if I gently caress up a dodge. I have 27 demon titanite and I'm about to bring that to 29.

Is there any strategy other than roll through the sweep/hope I get lucky?

You can block it. It takes almost no Stamina off.

Yeah.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I think you, like me, and everyone else, simply assumed you couldn't, because LOOK AT IT.

I had the same problem with the O&S fight. Turns out the one touch kill thunder-butt-slam doesn't even shave off a tenth of my health or stamina when blocked. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I'm still chugging along through NG+6 with my trusty Fire Longsword.

So, I've beaten this game a lot now, and there are some parts that feels like bullshit, but for the most part, everything is excellently designed. The major hurdle is that you need to be flexible, trying to stick with one gimmick forever is what makes things like NG+ Four Kings hard. You just need to know which type of armors you need to wear when, what weapons to use, which elements hurt what, it's all about learning about the game to overcome unique challenges. There are two gigantic, glaring exceptions to this rule.

The Lost Izalith Run, which is just indefensively lovely, and Ornstien and Smoug.

"But Cuchulain!" You might say, "O&S isn't that hard, and besides, it's so cool!"

Well it is very cool, but here's the thing: it is a badly designed fight. How so? There is a measure of legitimate difficulty, but unfortunately, you might not get a chance to see it due to the arbitrary nature of Phase One. Smough is dodgable, Ornstien is blockable, but both of them at once can do completely unavoidable damage to you. This becomes more of a problem in NG+ and beyond, when they become more aggressive. I think it was NG+...3? Maybe? When the "down time" between attacks is completely removed.

The only "Safe" way to fight them, at that point, is to back off constantly, wait for both of them to sync up attacks that can be dodged the same way, and pray neither of them decides to cancel their attack into something else.

I could go into a several hundred word diatribe about how the fight is badly designed and why, but it boils down to this: They can set up completely unavoidable damage, the main enemy is the camera angle, and their AI and movements show that they were clearly not designed to fight together. They're just two enemies that happen to fight you at the same time.

That aside, this is definitely the best game I have played in years. :v:

Also I ran into a Hacker or something in the Forest! It was very amusing. He wasn't very good, couldn't hit me with any of his several dozen casts of Emit Force, Gravelord Sword Dance, or Dung pies, but he was completely invincible. I'm guessing their must be a character trainer for the 360, because I he took over 60,000 damage during the course of our very long fight. At level 100. Then he finally hit me with a Gravelord Sword swing and slashed me 38 times to the cliff without running out of Stamina. Adorable. :iamafag:

Keep an eye out for "Blood Not Shed" or something similar and pull the plug if you see him. :v:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Lotish posted:

So I'm trying out New Londo for the first time, and the banshee women aren't so bad until there's, like, a dozen of them at once. That square-ish building past the aqueduct-looking bridge, just down the stairs, has at least 3 that come out of the water and an untold number that seem to come out of the ether. I guess it's the building with Ingward? I keep dying there. When I try and lure the ghosts out they don't seem to take the bait, and the ones from the lake run away whenever I hit the staircase. What should I be doing?

Two-hander with a wide swing, lots of poise, and maybe Iron Flesh. I'd suggest a Fire or Divine Halberd.

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Zain posted:

I hate being a Darkmoon since most people don't even want to bow, and generally I get killed by a sliding backstab. I attack and then they instantly go behind me from in front of me. If it wasn't for the simple fact that I need it for Miracles.

Farm in Painted World. Darkmoon Blades is awful. It was the covenant I wanted to be in originally too. :(

• Locked thread