Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I'm currently on my first playthrough and progress has kind of stalled with Ornstein and Smough. Things especially stall when Solaire doesn't follow me beyond the fog to fight them.

Anyhow, I have managed to kill Ornstein several times, is he supposed to drop the Leo Ring to where you can pick it up during the fight? Or will it drop after I've won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Thelonious Monk posted:

I've been assisting on O&S recently. I've found that the trick is to bring one of them down quickly, then the remaining guy is just a matter of patience.

What platform are you on? I can jump on and sunbro it up.
I'm on 360 but I ended up leaving Anor to go explore some old places, got the flip ring while I was out which has made this feel like a new game since I've been using heavier armor.

After going out and grinding a little bit I've leveled up a bit from where I was and now I've got the Furysword and upgraded it to +3.

So now that I've big time upgraded my guy I'm going to try it solo a bit more, but I'll remember you in the future if I still can't get past O&S.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
The inner fight between wanting to kill Solaire for his armor and then keeping him alive because he's rad is tough.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
The Drake Sword you get from that Dragon's tail will really help for the next few areas of the game, but it can be replaced by some notably stronger weapons you come across not too far into the game.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
That reminds me, I'm still on my first playthrough, if your weapon gets down to zero DUR, does is break beyond repair? Or is it just unusable until you repair it?

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

EC posted:

You can still repair it, it just won't work until you do.

Thanks, that's a relief because sometimes I've been a bit overly concerned about checking their statuses.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I was a much higher level than I should have been when I went to this area, but gently caress the Great Hollow so much. It should have not been that hard to get down that tree.

Also, aside from big swords being pretty cool, is there any particular reason the Zwei is so popular? I have the Furysword +5 coupled with the Eagle Shield +7 or so and I've been getting along pretty well.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

No matter what class I start with, no matter what build I am trying for, I can't not use the Elite Knight Set.

It looks so cool

It really does fit perfectly in the game.

Being a fan of plastic figures and other smaller representations of things I like, I wish they had Dark Souls figures made by someone like NECA or other figure makers.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I've been neglecting using bigger swords or using a weapon two-handed weapons due to the speed of the strikes and my love of shields, but I recently tried out the Bastard Sword as a decent smaller greatsword.

Yep, I love this, I see why others have been using the bigger weapons. I added Lightning to it as well and now I can definitely see myself using it a good while.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Just beat the Four Kings... do... do I do anything in the Abyss now? Warp out I'm guessing, or is there anything here?

Ed: Also, I had a really, really easy time with them. I was almost disappointed given what I had heard others say. Though based on what I've read it seems the NG+ version of them is a bit more difficult

edit - thanks.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 30, 2012

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I'm kind of new to PVP so forgive the question, but what am I doing, or what is the other guy doing to so easily backstab me, even from the most awkward angles?

There doesn't appear to be any lag either.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
If I turn in all the Lord Souls and open up Kiln, will I cut myself off from the rest of the world? (is it a point of no return) ?

ed: Thanks

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 31, 2012

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I've had more fun with Dark Souls than I've had with a game in several years, (aside from Skyrim) but the only thing I feel the game is really missing is a boss battle mode.

I really wish that after completing the game, there was a mode that just allowed you to re-fight all of the bosses, since a lot of those battles are the highlight of the game. Sure you can do NG+ and fight them again, but that requires hours of the in-between.

Though I suppose it would be difficult to get the boss difficulty right depending on the level character you're using. If you chose the standard game bosses and you were using a NG+ level character then the early bosses would go down as quick as Pinwheel.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Yeah, that was sadly one of the things I kind of missed out on. I never even tried to drop a summon sign or do anything online until after O&S when I took a break from progressing in the game and then just spent a while leveling up and creating some high level weapons.

And the bosses after O&S I didn't enjoy as much for some reason so I didn't want to Summon Sign to fight them again. (Granted, I still haven't gone to fight Gwyn or Gwyndolin, still doing a lot of things before NG+)

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Red Crown posted:

There's just...no point to invading in the forest unless you're SL 800 with a pretty specific build. 90% of the time you invade, the host has at least one phantom assisting and they're both running stagger builds or mega pyromancy or whatever. Combine that with the host flasking while you're staggered by his phantom and it's just a racket.

Time to go back to being a Darkwraith...

Yeah, this has been my experience with the forest and it's been pretty miserable. (I'm at SL98) It's usually the host and an assistant who just destroy me within seconds unless I flip around incessantly, hoping to maybe get one strike in on one of them.

On NG+ I'm definitely going the Darkwraith route, by the time I really learned what the Forest was like it was already too late.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Weird question : If you're wearing the ring of favor and protection does it get removed and break if you're wearing it as you head into NG+ ?

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Well, didn't end up putting it [Ring of F&P] on for Gwyn after all. He gave me some trouble but he was definitely one of the most fun to fight against. His boss fight pretty well redeemed, what I felt, were some pretty disappointing boss fights in the latter half of the game. Really fun overall.

Unlike many final boss fights Gwyn felt really challenging without it feeling unfair to the player. You just have to be really careful.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Man, NG+ is something else. You guys weren't kidding when you said that NG+ flies by.

It took me probably five hours to get from the start, to past the Gargoyles first time around. Part of that was me not knowing what I was doing or where I was going, and part of that was just being ill equipped and getting handled by the Taurus Demon repeatedly.

I started NG+ at SL100, with a EK Armor +9/10, Fire Claymore +5, VIT = 50, END = 40 and so far I've just wrecked poo poo. I started up and got past the Taurus Demon in what felt like maybe 10-15 min, then beat the Gargoyles before a half hour had passed.

Then I got really cocky, and a little sloppy with technique. I was fighting the Balder Knights in the Cathedral and I took a hit but wasn't really phased. However, then the last one left hit me with a riposte and took 70% of my HP instantly, killing me. :darksouls:

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

2 Track EP posted:

I accidentally told Eingyi that I wasn't a new slave and he told me to leave. Did I just lose access to that bonfire forever? He's blocking the way, and I can't kill him since he's the firekeeper and that would remove the bonfire anyway. If I go get infected and come back with an egg on my head, will he let me through?

Edit: The answer is no :( That sucks, I didn't want to have to deal with the waterwheel when returning for Lost Izalith later.
I accidentally told him no on my first playthrough, but went to the nearby bonfire at the Demon Ruins around the corner, and then came back to him and he asked me again. (thus letting me through when I answered differently)

If that doesn't work, then try leaving the area and/or quitting and reloading the game.

Either way you can get access to it even after telling him no accidentally. I just don't remember exactly what I did.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Umberger posted:

If you have 18 Dexterity, Black Knight Greataxe. If you don't, get 18 Dexterity and use the Black Knight Greataxe.

Pretty solid plan, because at 38 str, with 18 dex, with the axe upgraded to +5 then it's going to be dealing ~600 phy dmg if the weapons calculator is to be trusted.

And I just beat the game at SL100, with a Fire Claymore +5 that was dealing damage a decent margin less than that.

Getting the Twinkling Titanite needed to upgrade it shouldn't take but a few minutes either outside the Stone Dragon in Ash Lake, or outside where you fight Seath.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Umberger posted:

Or you could just buy it :ssh:

8000 per from the Giant Blacksmith, so 80,000 souls to take something from +0 to +5. That's really not that bad given the 1.05 soul increase.
Dark Souls is like the internet, there's no sense in paying for something when, if you look hard enough, you can get it for free. (note: I actually don't support, or engage in piracy just on principle, but you get it)

80k souls is almost exactly two soul levels for someone sitting at SL80 right now, versus maybe 15 minutes outside either of those places.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Emo Rodeo posted:

I don't mind the drakes moveset but I'm not set on it or anything. I wouldn't mind ramping up the damage without having an overly slow attack speed. Not set on any particular weapon though, probably want to keep a one handed attack so I can use shield still.

If you want more damage, without it being too slow and still want to use it one handed: look into a Greatsword like the Bastard Sword or Claymore, both of which can be found early in the game easily. Those two are almost identical swords, and if you upgrade one to near-max levels with Fire or Lightning, you're sitting with a real solid weapon.

Bastard Sword can be bought from the Blacksmith Andrei for a few thousand souls. Claymore can be found on the bridge the Red Dragon guards and you can just run past the Dragon quickly if you wait for it to land on the bridge itself. Bastard sword does just a tiny bit more damage overall, but the Claymore has a little bit further reach. Other than that, their one handed R2/RT attack is different. Claymore does a straight thrust and the Bastard does an overhead swing IIRC.

Of course those two weapons are the ones I used for most of the game so I have a bit of bias too. But I felt that they were a real solid medium between damage and attack speed, and can be used well one-handed.

You probably can't add Lightning or Fire damage yet since you're in Darkroot at SL30-40 right now, but you're not terribly far off from the Giant Blacksmith who can add Lightning damage.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 2, 2012

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Chard posted:

It also boosts your defenses considerably, so hanging onto it isn't a bad idea either.

I honestly didn't know this. I ran around most of the game while Hollowed. Had a ton of banked humanity, but not much liquid.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Millions posted:

I'm going to BB Glitch some items over to a new character so I can make a low-level Darkwraith rear end in a top hat, because I PVPd maybe once with my main dude. It looks like I can skip a majority of the bosses/areas and just make a beeline for Kaathe if my thought process is right.

1. BB Glitch over a +5 Ascended Flame, +5 Lightning Uchigatana, etc. Start with Master Key, make it to Firelink.
2. Roll down to the Lower Undead Burg like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBo7a3njLE4
2. Kill Capra Demon, enter the Depths and free Laurentius.
3. Buy sick pyromancies off Laurentius and Quelaana.
4. Skip from Undead Burg > Darkroot Basin > Dark Root Garden by killing the Hydra. Kill Sif for Artorias' ring.
5. Kill Ingward in the New Londo for his item, drain the ruins.
6. Kill the Four Kings, join the Darkwraiths.
7. :getin:

If I'm right, I only have to kill the Asylum Demon, Capra Demon, Darkroot Hydra, Sif and the Four Kings then I can start some online assholery.

Won't you need the thing you get after O&S to give to Kaathe?

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
I killed Lautrec immediately upon encountering him in NG+. He didn't go down too easily either.

What a dickbag.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Couple of questions.

Pretext - So I'm on NG+ and I skipped from the Gargoyles and went straight to Sif and 4K, entered the covenant and got the orb. So I'm thinking, great nows the time to start invading as a red spirit, something I've never done.

1. If I get beaten during an invasion, do I lose any souls I'm holding?

2. Is SL105 too high to successfully get many invasions using the Red Eye Orb? (I can't exactly test it for a while due to my wife watching TV)

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Thanks guys.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Capra Demon: I still don't get the fuss. I've faced the standard and NG+ versions and have still had almost no trouble with him and haven't died once.

Some of the other bosses deemed clownshoes have killed me numerous times before though.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
So earlier I apparently got Gravelord cursed, though I never saw any messages that I remember so the giant heavy knight phantom right next to the Firelink/Parish elevator was a surprise to say the least.

I wasn't doing much, but never saw the Gravelord summon sign and didn't think much of it. I even turned the game off for a bit.

Then I turned the game back on and noticed all the Phantoms are still around, and in multiple areas. In areas I've already defeated the bosses in as well.

Is this a glitch, or something anyone else has experienced? Because NG+ is going to be about 30x more difficult if I go through the whole thing Gravelord cursed.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 8, 2012

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
So.. what is the difference between a Dragon and Drake in typical fantasy?

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Red Crown posted:

FYI They'll stay even if you do actually kill the Gravelord Servant. They leave at random. Gravelord covenant is still horrendously buggy, I'll see signs on the ground without disasters and randomly get covenant related messages.

Yeah, this seems to be the case. Even though the curse was applied last night and I've since turned the game off and back on, off, slept for 8 hours and back on, the curse is still applied to Blighttown and Undead Parish.

Not a huge hindrance since I've moved on from those areas and the curse has not followed.(thankfully not applied to Sen's or Anor)

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Where do people put signs down for OS? I always try the boss gate but it looks like people pick up phantoms earlier than that.

Bonfire room seems to be the best because most people trying to beat O&S don't want to bother trying to defeat the Giant Sentinels over and over. If you put your sign down in front of the fog door then they basically have to fight at least one sentinel while waiting on someone to get pulled up.

If summoned at the bonfire, you both can just run right past the sentinel and on to jolly cooperation.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Alteisen posted:

Sometimes I'll see white circles all over the place, what are they?

And finally, twice I've seen a message saying "The Gravelord has been defeated, disasters are over" or averted or something like that, thing is I haven't killed anyone.

The white circles are where someone has used a heal miracle in another world, but in that spot. If you heal in that area then your miracle is stronger.

Gravelords are unique type of invasions. Someone in the Gravelord covenant can place a curse on an area of your game, that causes strong, red phantom enemies to spawn in your game. The way it's supposed to be undone is that you find a Gravelord summon sign and you invade the curse-giver's world and kill them, undoing the curse. (as with my experience, the curse doesn't always go away)

So if you didn't see anything except the message that the Gravelord had been beaten, then it's possible someone else invaded him and killed him, or he died randomly or got disconnected.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Anarchist posted:

The gold you absorb is a free estus flask, it just randomly happens as far as I can tell, no idea what prompts it.

My understanding is that it's someone from another world kindling their bonfire while you stand in the vicinity of the same one in your world.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Snoop Rocket posted:

So I got Ornstein's stuff on my run, does that mean I have to wait till NG+ and kill him first for Smough's?

Yes.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

EC posted:

STR is good for holy gently caress that hurt weapons.

I went STR with my only character and I feel invincible right now. I'm on NG+ and was assisting with O&S. I'm sitting at 52 STR with the Blk Knight Greataxe +5 and this thing just destroys poo poo as fast as it swings.

On one assist I got Ornstein in a near permanent stunlock and look off the last half of his life in a matter of seconds.

Because that thing scales so much with strength I've just dumped all my other souls there up to 120 after getting 18 dex, 40 End and 50 Vit.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 9, 2012

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

at 40 END with Ring of Favor, if you equip the BK Gaxe + Artorias Shield I think you can barely equip some robes and nothing else. If you put on Mask of the Father you can equip some medium weight armor like a piece or two of Knight's armor.

I've got almost exactly what you mentioned.

I'm using the BKGaxe + Artorias Shield, Mask of the Father, EK Armor +10, EK Leggings +9 and some random light gauntlets.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

GrahamBLY posted:

Boy invading people as a darkmoon is like a surefire way to get your rear end kicked by at least 2 people every time huh?

Being a Forest invader is the same, to the point to where it's not fun at all unless you can survive long enough for several forest invaders to all invade at the same time.

I've had the most fun invading as a Darkwraith, though I invaded some guy tonight in Anor Londo a few times and I swear there were two player controlled characters who were not phantoms. There were two players who looked normal, then myself a red phantom, and then another red phantom who insisted on attacking me... twice.

And the other day I got a message from that same guy (who I invaded tonight) calling me a noob over something or other I don't remember.

So in short, I hate darkgamer 0510

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I would love if they polished Demon Ruins and got rid of Lost Izalith for this update.

I didn't mind DR, it just felt really brief. Izalith though is just needlessly annoying with a lovely boss fight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Alteisen posted:

Is that why I see people doing crazy ninja backflips everywhere? Where do I find that ring?

http://youtu.be/5bN6ZasXKv0

To get to the forest, go to the Blacksmith Andrei and buy the 20,000 souls something of Artorias from him. Then go out the door by him into the woods. Head through the woods til you find a glowing door. Use the item you bought to open that, head down the stairs and almost straight ahead and you'll find the building the video is showing. Don't bother trying to kill anything in the woods, just run til you hit that building, it's sometimes hard to find.

There's a back way to the building that doesn't require you spending 20,000 souls on the key, but it takes a good bit longer to get there. If you don't want to give up the souls (understandable, especially on your first run if that's the case) then head to darkroot basin by taking a sharp right as soon as you enter the woodsy area past Andrei. Head down the hills and walk toward giant crystal monsters and a Hydra in the water. If you can, just run past everything and block and dodge what the Hydra is shooting. Once you get to the water the Hydra is in, hug the left wall past the waterfall until you hit a ladder. Climb the ladder, cross some bridges, climb and you'll exit out in the same general area of where the sealed door leads to. A bit of running around and you should find the Cat Covenant building.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread