Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Getting this tomorrow, never played this kind of game before. I've beaten both Ninja Gaidens on Master Ninja but obviously this and those games couldn't be anymore different.

What's a good newbie class? I was thinking warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found a firekeeper's soul, how important is this

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guliani is HOT posted:

Extremely important, save it for when you get back to Firelink Shrine and talk to the firekeeper to upgrade your estus flask.

You mean the guy sitting by the fire? He isn't doing anything, just telling me to go away.

Edit: Never mind I need to learn to scroll up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I summoned 2 phantoms into my game and we made mincemeat of those gargoyles.

This game is AWESOME. That is a very unique way of having a co-op mechanic.

So that blue phantom I keep seeing, its the same dude I saw yesterday, is that some dude in the same area as me? Same with bloodstains, they all seem to belong to him.

And the messages, this is all left behind from players?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I counter that bullshit spell those huge statues do in the dark forest.

I tried getting out of this range but I does nothing, I get slowed, stumble like a jackass and then get destroyed by him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good way to build up humanity, I almost never have any and whenever I decide to turn human I die some bullshit death.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Being cursed can eat a dick.

Followed the advice in the OP, but not seeing the stone I need. Do I need to leave or something?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lohli posted:

360?

Talk to the guy at the top of the parish for purging stones, 4k a piece iirc.

I'm not dropping literally every soul I have on that guy, if I can get for the invading stones I never use I will.

I just want to know what I have to do to get them to show up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I might as well have spent them as I decided to go inside the asylum only to fall in front of some demon, get one shotted and lose 2 humanity and 8k souls.

Think I've had enough of this game's horseshit, it blurs the line between challenging and cheap nonsense far to often.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

How exactly is it bullshit to give you an easy, avoidable boss fight like 10 feet away from a respawn point?

I think the only cheap/lovely parts of the game are the Lost Izalith, New Londo ghosts, toxin, and merchants/spell teachers disappearing and poo poo and selling way too varied amounts of things/way too little things.

ONE merchant in the game sells normal arrows. One.

The fact that its a big gently caress off hole I fell into and the boss one shots me? I didn't even reach my bloodstain, fell down the hole again, boss did something and I died again, sorry but that's bullshit to me. That's on top of the time I had to spent dealing with that curse nonsense.

And how in the blazing gently caress is ANYBODY supposed to figure how to break the curse poo poo on their own? What if they don't have 4k souls to drop on stones, what if they don't even remember that guy having them? Or they haven't reached the area the game mentions when you're initially cursed.

Obtuse is one thing, extremely annoying and lovely status effect and a pain in the rear end to remove without seeking other resources is another.

Whatever, not my game, merely borrowed it from someone who couldn't even beat the asylum demon, I was right on my initial assessment when I first started hearing about this game, I am getting way to old to deal with developer nonsense that's sold as "features" and "challenge".

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get the gist of what some of you folks are saying about souls and dying to enemy types, it was just annoying I guess, I can't help but feel like I've gimped myself to, using a straight up warrior, its obvious I may need other combat options. Maybe I'll re-roll, someone left me a message saying try pyromancer so perhaps I'll go with that.

There's one thing I don't understand, what do covenants do?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As a warrior, you can still pick up and use some pyromancy as a backup option without having to reroll; one of the advantages of pyromancy is none of the spells have stat requirements to use, so although they scale based off your int, you don't need int just to use them. You can also upgrade your catalyst item a bunch at the trainer to boost the damage mod on it so you don't even need int to scale your damage up.

As for Covenants, it depends on which one. Mostly it's "Gives you some neat stuff". Some of them you can just join and then leave without having to do anything else and you've gotten all that covenant has to offer. Others allow you to do specific special things, like the Darkmoon allowing you to invade people who have sinned, or the Forest covenant allowing you to invade anyone who's in the area of Darkroot Garden past the seal.

So what I get unique equipment for joining them?

What about the sin stuff I've heard, something about breaking it, is the game clear on what I can and can't do or is it vague.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
96 arrows later, no drake sword.

Do I need to be human to get it drop or something? I got it fine last time. It did say I couldn't wield the bow properly but the arrows where still hitting him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thiscommercialsucks posted:

If you can't wield the bow properly, maybe your arrows are doing poo poo damage?

edit: welp, standing around reading the dark souls wiki.. look back at my game and somehow i had 11,000 souls :shepface:

So its a bit of damage I need to do? Thought it was just shoot the tail till it drops.

Edit: Oh ok, guess I'll raise my stats a bit, weird that the pyromancer can't wield the bow properly, its not exactly a heavy weapon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So occasionally I'll have 0 humanity then all of a sudden I'll have one, what's causing this?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Capra demon is done, didn't even die to it, got a full reinforced armor set and decent equip as well as some spare humanity. I'm in a much better position than I was with my warrior.

Should I go down to the depths? That's where I got cursed last time but there seems to be some poo poo down there.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can I upgrade my fire glove thing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Yeah, you have to save the pyromancer guy in the Depths first though.

I just got the key to that place, guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I need some weapon advice, I'm still using the Drake sword but I'd like to switch up, I'm at SL31, just made it to blighttown.

I have a huge variety of weapons, one handers, 2 knight swords, the gargoyle tale axe, the sword from those big rear end statues that slow you down, the channelers staff.

What should I be upgrading? I like fast weapons but I have the stats to wield some of the huge ones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

Pretty much anything you can upgrade with normal titanite instead of dragon scales or twinkling titanite will work fine. Except maybe fist weapons and whips. Pick whatever you like. A simple broadsword upgraded all the way is every bit as good as any other endgame weapon.

If you want some suggestions, Claymores are pretty popular due to their decent damage and good moveset. Zweihanders are also pretty common, as they can annihilate anything in seconds, though they do leave you open. If you want something quicker, I really like the the movesets of the longsword and uchigatana.

Would something like a longsword eventually need large titanite shards or would it be just be regular titanite, I ask since my armor has reached the point that i needs large shards to be upgraded, if not I'll get started upgrading something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blightown is a massive pain, a giant gently caress you would have been more appropriate, tiny platforms, encounters bordering on the unfair due to the areas I have to fight in, poison and snipers everywhere and the framerate just loving dies in here to.

I did manage to explore the whole place and grab everything including a firekeeper soul so that's good.

That said, where is the other bonfire? I found one by the bridge but its loving far from Queelag's domain and I don't feel like hoofing it back there everytime I die.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's at the bottom of the swamp. Go along the wall closest to the waterwheel until you find a giant sewer drain. The bonfire is in there.

Thank you very much.

Also would my starting robes be a good choice for Queelag? I know she uses fire, if not what can I find around the area that has fire resistance.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blighttown done, Queelag is no more, did it on my first try to. I assume Maneater mildred is one of those planned invaders?

Also I bumped into some spider thing downstairs that I can enter into a covenant with, should I? I don't know a drat thing about these stupid covenants.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so, that white spider girl under Queelag, I accidentally killed her servant.

Is that bad? What he important?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sen's fortress, game just took any pretense of being even remotely fair and tossed it out the window, gently caress this place.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Last set of guillotines was pissing me off. I got it now.

Would be nice to find a fire, I'm tired of spawning back at the parish.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crowbear posted:

When you get onto the roof look out for a crack in the railing :ssh:

Guess that explains why there's a bonfire ahead message in the middle of nowhere.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that iron golem boss was something else, kinda exhilarating having to constantly run between his legs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yea jagged ghost blade, that should make that hellhole a little easier.

Do those loving ghosts ever stop coming? Seemed like 8 or 9 swarmed me while I was passing thorough an area with a statue in the water.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how important is armor anyway.

I've been rocking the thief's set I found in lower undead burg, I've upgraded the gently caress out of it to, I can take hits and best of all I'm super mobile which is my main reason for wearing it.

Should I upgrade eventually or just keep using what I like?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got super kindling and I went into the demon ruins and killed a boss as well as 9 taurus demons(what the gently caress at this) and a whole mess load of Capra demons.

Should I go to anor londo now?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a problem.

Pyro dude in firelink is gone and I accidentally killed the guy in front of Queelag's sister, did I just gently caress myself on pyromancy?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

If the other pyro shows up which is random unless you have a +10 pyro glove.

So this other pyro may or may not show up? Where are they if they show up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lohli posted:

This is ok, because it is the best axe.

What is that shield and where do I get it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what the hell am I supposed to do in anor londo.

One area has a sealed door, the other the bonfire and I take an elevator and fought a gargoyle but nothing more beyond that, I saw some try jumping messages but my prism stone says otherwise.

It doesn't help that every message I've seen is something either stupid or trolling.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bumped into the infamous sniper segment I've seen people complaining about.

This is some bullshit, its not even challenging, its just 2 enemies with heavy projectiles in a bad spot, its horrible.

I keep getting knocked down when I have one go melee, hell one I was approaching and the blocked arrow tossed me off.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do people just not summon for the gaping dragon? I've had my sign near the fire for like 20 minutes and nothing. I'm 22 which is just about what that jolly cooperation picture shows.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just took out Timon and Pumba, solo, on my first try no less.

Feel so :smug: right now it hurts.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Merauder posted:

Grats! What level / stats / gear / strategy employed?

SL49, Gold hemmed hood and cloak, black leather gloves and boots+5, eagle shield+7, ring of favor and havel's ring and a lightning spear.

Just took out ornstein first since he was so aggressive and left smough for last oddly enough I could block everything they could throw at me, even smough's big AOE buttstomp with minimal damage to myself, I still avoided in on reflex though then again I did notice the eagle shield has a huge lightning defense.

Just helped someone else kill them again, they took out smough this time first and left Orstein for last, same thing, could block everything with very little getting through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh snaps the mimic head just dropped.

Gonna use this thing whenever I invade.

• Locked thread