Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Go damnit From. I've been looking forward to this game for so long and what do they do? They throw in Man Eater 2.0 as the second boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

ZombieApostate posted:

I just got to that part... walked in, walked around a little... "those loving statues look like..." Shiiiiiiiit.

After about 5 or 6 attempts I must have lost focus and died to the knight on the stair case, unable to recover lost humanity (plus whatever souls) and I stopped resisting (real DS veterans don't need help) to get the drake sword... Jesus... Black knights are getting humiliated.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Paino posted:

The second boss (well, third including the prologue) is pretty silly. In DS, Maneater actually punished you for taking too long by summoning a companion; this time there's no logic to it, they just pull it out of their asses because gently caress you, this is Dark Souls, bitch. Oh, and if they manage to be one in front of you and one behind (pretty easy considering their range of movement) you'll die regardless of how well you play.

So it's true, this game just forces you to play co-op to kill certain bosses. Pretty disappointing.

So is the answer to use a humanity? Will Lautrec's sign show up? I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I couldn't help my self on this guy.

Rascyc posted:

There's plenty of people who've posted videos of them solo'ing the belltower gargoyles. Without the Draketooth Sword for that matter.

One guy even does it shirtless. With a halberd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDtWlLsRlLI&feature=player_detailpage#t=150s
I came close. With a halberd. But then they decided to stop attacking normally at all and just flame breath non stop for a full minute so I ran out of rooftop.

E:
Ah I see, with the resin he kills of the first one so fast the other one isn't a factor. I've been wary of using items I don't know how to replenish, just for experimentation.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Volitaire posted:

Dude watch that video, its not any speedrun poo poo. The guy isn't even that good. Quite honestly if you can't solo the gargoyles (one of which starts at half HP) then you simply need to get better.

Went back with my original setup (which was actually also a halberd) + resin. It was easy. I'm sure it's doable without consumables or the drake sword, but it's not easy.

I still hate the setup, it better this time around, but not by much.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I decided to start over and in 4 hours I've caught up to my first character's 12 hour game, sans being cursed. Is it worth reviving and kindling the depths bonfire?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Decided to go explore catacombs at level 20 with my lovely Astora sword. Found a titanite demon, couldn't take him head on. Decided to see what was down the hole just before him. Well hello weak rear end black knight. With no way out I dropped down into a pit full of wheel skeletons. Welp, goodbye 5k souls and 2 humanity.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

Decided to go explore catacombs at level 20 with my lovely Astora sword. Found a titanite demon, couldn't take him head on. Decided to see what was down the hole just before him. Well hello weak rear end black knight. With no way out I dropped down into a pit full of wheel skeletons. Welp, goodbye 5k souls and 2 humanity.

Well, I guess not. Found the blacksmith and recovered. Now to get the gently caress out, since I doubt that whatever is behind that fog door is going to be easier than the titanite demon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

areyoucontagious posted:

Also, I'm seeing that people aren't leveling very fast and instead spend souls on gear- is this the best way to play? I'm level 12 in the Undead Burg (dumping into End for block power) and I feel like I should've used those souls on stuff instead.

In Demon's Souls I would aim for meeting the minimum requirements for any weapon I wanted, then upgrading that weapon, and then bumping some Endurance and Vitality. And I'm doing the same in Dark Souls. By the time I was level 11 I had defeated 4 bosses besides the tutorial. I then jumped straight to 19, because that 4th one gives out 25k.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Rascyc posted:

Uber twinked. It's semi-uncommon but it happens. I wouldn't mope about it or anything, just luck of the draw. I've been playing a new character for about 14 hours in human form and I only ran into two twinks in white phantom form. Everyone else is just as vanilla as ever.

Also I dunno about twinked for PvP either. Whip and claws? Sounds like it's just someone messing around.

If it was actually lightning, I'd say that's pretty twinked.

I've been keeping my level low, since I have been upgrading gear first and I've only just made it to the Iron Golem at level 26.

EDIT: gently caress yeah threw that fucker off the platform, like he did to me 4 times straight.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 16, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Regarding fist weapons

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

My first advice is not to do it at all

If the move set is as terrible as it was in Demon's I'll second this. I tried once and just couldn't submit my self to that kind of pain.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I think I just found the weapon to replace my halberd/mirdan hammer fetish from Demon's: the scythe. It is not as fast as the previous polearms were, but it is pretty close and the reach is about as good. I've previously tried out the lucerne and the new halberd. While the lucerne's animation looks awesome, it is way too slow. The halberd is probably about as good as the scythe, but it feels like the recovery is too slow, and it is very lacking in the area deparment - which the second attack in the scythe's chain solves.

Just +9'd it and helped some guy on the Gargoyles. That was fun!

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 16, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
At 29 I feel like I'm underlevelled for S+O, at what level do people usually do this? I'm getting murdered within 5 seconds, I can't even get Iron Flesh off - and then I get 2 shot.

I kind of want to get this done, because apparently I get to teleport soon after this, and I really want that before I go explore optionals.

vvvv: Yeah, that explains why I'm feeling so out of my depth here. My damage output is likely the same or close, after finding that blacksmith; but the resists and other stats are hurting.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 16, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

pixaal posted:

Around 35 or so, but I finished the game at 60, which is pretty low compared to most people. You're going to want good equipment to do it at a low level though. Upgrade he poo poo out of your shield it will help a ton. You're eagle shield should be at least +5.

I have a mixed set of Elite Knight + 3, Havel's and some lovely gloves to stay below 50%. Eagle Shield +5 and lightning scythe +4. I'll try casting Iron Flesh before I enter, to see if I can figure out how they work.

Also, I went back to the start to use the upgraded bonfire - and while I do have the shortcuts opened that's still one long run with a lovely gauntlet at the end, I don't suppose the other bonfire is closer?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

invalid posted:

Worth pumping Elite Knight Armor to +5 everything or going for something like Black? I'm not really seeing what's all so great about the Elite version.

Definitely not the gloves, they're awful - even Hard Leather beats them by miles, except for poise of course.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Still O+S:

Pash posted:

I was 57, but then again I beat it on my first try (I am a pyromancer... my fire does like 500 damage to them a pop)... Just get up to a high enough level where you can summon a couple people to help. If you die right away get some more vitality or up your endurance so you can block them. Once you do that its just learning their patterns, which can be done by putting down your soul sign and helping other people.

Never mind, figured out that my mistake was trying to Iron Flesh through it when it is so easily kitable. Just need to figure out Super S now.

I will have them.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Professor Latency posted:

Yeah they totally stop scaling. With my S scaling bow it takes about 3 levels now to even make it do 1 more damage point.

This is probably because your S scaling bow has an incredibly low base damage. Scaling is directly dependent on the base damage.

A question of my own:
I went and obliterated Pinwheel, but I got the mask I wanted the least. Is there any other way of getting the Mask of the Child short of hoping for better luck in NG+?

I'm considering starting over and rushing straight to him, it would be the 4th time I restarted however... I'm really getting my money's worth out of Dark Souls.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 17, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

CardTech posted:

Spoiling just in case, but Patches will have all the masks available for sale after you finish the Tomb of the Giants, if you didn't kill him that is.

He never showed up for me in catacombs. He is supposed to be up the stairs on the left when you exit from the second bonfire isn't he?.

I guess I can try searching the next area to see if he isn't completely gone, but the hate that area has been getting seems to be well deserved for the 2 minutes I spent in there - before clipping through geometry and stopping for the night. If not I'll try restarting on a suicide Pinwheel run. I actually enjoy blasting through the early game anyway.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

evilalien posted:

He's over by the graveyard area actually. He's right outside the left exit where Frampt shows up I believe.

You're talking about after you have cleared the tomb of kings aren't you? He's supposed to show up in both areas and be a dick before that, which hasn't happened to me either of the two times I went through the first part.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gazmachine posted:

Yeah, eat that you shitters! How does it feel when it's three on two, you stupid metal vaginas? Now I feel good.

So many highs and lows in this game, it's like being bipolar.

If you're ok with cheesing it S is powerless against a bow, as I found out because I was severely underlevelled.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Zain posted:

Been doing the O&S fight and it's kind of a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to kill the fatty, but I keep getting side swiped. MIght just Power Within Iron Skin this fight at this rate.

Iron Flesh is likely to get you killed even faster in that fight, at least that was my experience.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

qbert posted:

EK armor is pretty awesome (I use the armor on my own guy), but Smough's set is not upgradable and STILL has the highest defense stats in the game. Also lighter than a lot of other heavy armor sets in total weight. So you don't even have to worry about upgrading.

Which is why it always surprises me that so many people try to go for Ornstein's armor/weapon drop when neither are really worth getting in the overall scheme of things.

I think they managed to make the Smough armor look exactly so ridiculous I don't really want to wear it. Gold Hemmed is pretty close, but there are few super light armors that are close to that good. Fully upgraded Pyro set might get close.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Finally got my level 1 pinwheel run down, and what does he drop? God drat mask of the mother.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

drink slurm posted:

I've just rung the second bell, is there a quick way out of blighttown or do I need to backtrack the whole way through? (I assume I'm not to go through the demon altar place)

It's not exactly quick, but yea look for the water wheel.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So. 4 Level 1 Pinwheel runs to get the mask I wanted. Why do they have to make stuff this good random? Any way back out of here, short of suiciding in the next area?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Phoix posted:

There's a merchant that sells all of the masks later and there's also a room in the next area with like five respawning Pinwheels. I'm not sure how to get out of there without the Lordvessel though because I only went after getting it.

I wanted the mask for messing around while maintaining a very low level, I'm also thinking about going gravelord which leaves out the first option - at least for a long time.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

So. 4 Level 1 Pinwheel runs to get the mask I wanted. Why do they have to make stuff this good random? Any way back out of here, short of suiciding in the next area?

Actually I just remembered, there is a way back out - but I think it drops you back in the wheel skeleton pile. So if anyone else happens to get this silly idea, you're probably better off seeing if you can sprint past some giants and grab some loot in the next area; which you probably can't unless you're the speed run guy.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
^^^^: There's a locked door at the opposite side of where the dragon is perching. You should have the key for that now, or it should be out near the front entrance of the church.

Harminoff posted:

Why does he switch his Drake Sword so much when running through the swamps in the 2nd video around the 3:30 mark? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Looks like it's making him run a tiny bit faster since he doesn't have the rusted ring.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 17, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

sentrygun posted:

It might have some weird effect on movement speed, but I'll go ahead and say that's just an illusion and he's just doing it to kill time doing something, much like how people love jumping everywhere while traveling in some games despite the fact that it's not changing their speed/slowing them down maybe.

He's only doing it while moving through the swamp water from what I could tell, as soon as he touches land he stops doing it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

sentrygun posted:

Once he hits land he's allowed to use his run button again, so he opts for that as an obvious timesaver.

Notice the stamina drain, he is using the run button.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I think scaling is applied as a modifier to the weapon's base damage so there's no consistent ratio of stat points per damage points for a rank. You seem to get a lot more damage from 1 point of STR on a B strength rank weapon with 200 base damage than you would from one with a B rank and 120.

This was the case in DeS, I can't imagine they changed it.

This is why a low base damage S scaling weapon will never get really far in the damage department.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

AttackBacon posted:

If you have online I would go kill/phantom Gaping Dragon until you get 50k souls. If you get lucky with summons its shouldn't take that long. The kill is 25k and phantoming it gives you a fair bit.

Phantoming gives exactly 50%. If you're comfortable with the curse frogs you can farm them while waiting to get summoned for gaping dragon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

I_Socom posted:

^^ Thank you for this - this is an awesome post. Totally going to try a dual-wield playthrough next. You can dual-wield a pair of washing poles, right? :black101:

I don't think there is anything that you cannot dual wield apart from bows.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gazmachine posted:

So, you could be a double scythe monster if you wished? Oh my, I need to mess around more with that stuff.

Yea, only problem is getting two scythes. Scythe + Great Scythe should work, terribly ineffective however.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Alright, gonna mold the level 1 pyro I that I already killed Pinwheel with into Death for some low level shenanigans. 2 major challenges:

1: Great Scythe from Catacombs, now that I've gotten a bow to snipe those necros this should be doable. (I used the shortcut to skip 90% of the zone earlier).

2: Gold Hemmed Robes, ugh I think I may have to try to copy twilight's* method, but I'm not as talented and I don't have the Drake Sword because the dragon bugged out on me.

*The speedrun guy.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 18, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

PKJC posted:

This part is much easier than you'd think. After you grab the robes, wait for him to toss the lava up in front of you, then run past, allllll the way to the fog gate and stand as far into the corner as you can. Equip whatever attacks fastest/uses least stamina. Once he makes his way over, he slams his fist down but won't hit you, run up and smack his fist 8 times. Watch all his health drain away.

Oh that part is easy, I don't even care about killing it - I just need the armor. It's getting there I'm worried about.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

Oh that part is easy, I don't even care about killing it - I just need the armor. It's getting there I'm worried about.
Just before Second bell spoiler stuff.

Well gently caress I did it. Killed Mildred Kindled the bonfireSummoned Mildred, and went in - halfway through she got stuck in a wall and was no help, so I had to finish off the boss with just my Halberd +4.

Man that was intense.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

a foolish pianist posted:

I had a similar situation - Mildred got stuck between a huge pool of lava and a wall, leaving me to deal with Quelaag for most of the fight. When the pool finally cooled/disappeared, she came back in to help with the last quarter of the boss's health bar..

I was using the black knight greatsword, which made a lot of difference. I'd been using a Bandit Knife +8, which does murderous backstab damage, but now so many enemies don't have backs!

For me she just stayed there, thankfully she had the good manners to die just in time so she wouldn't steal half my souls - which helped geting my pyro flame directly from +0 to +7.

If I'd failed I would have probably farmed the swamp until I could increase strength enough to two hand the grave lord sword, but that's more strength than I otherwise need for now - and I really really want be a level 10 or under Death.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Death outfit completed. At the tender SL of 8. Now to upgrade that Scythe, I'm probably just going to get soft and white phantom instead - but it's gotta be a treat for anyone new to the game, unless when I fail because Death doesn't use a shield.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Smelly posted:

The dregling lady in the Aqueduct shortcut also sells an uncurse item.

She charges a lot more though. It's either 5 or 6k instead of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Has anyone else actually tried using the Great Scythe? The range and speed of the one handed light attack is pretty amazing - seems even better than two handing it. It will of course be poo poo in pvp if your opponent is any good at dodging because it's still an overhead chop making it only slightly better than a spear thrust, or if he has enough stability to block it. But for everything else...

• Locked thread