Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Are the controls mostly the same as Demon Souls? is inventory management a little bit easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Trynant posted:

Not to crap the thread with beer talk, but if I were to drink on this game (either a terrible idea or a brilliant idea), I would go for Stone's Double Bastard Ale. Touted by the brewers themselves as a masochist's drink; this beer is immediate-headache inducing and ultimately
wonderful. Sound familiar?

I'm going a different route with two brews from Rouge, Start out with an Arrogant Bastard Ale, to be quickly chased with Dead Guy Ale. I just picked it up on my lunch hour, the rest of this day is going to draaaaaag.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jaffyjaffy posted:

I have a question for the Demon Souls veterans:
How terrible of an idea is rolling a Thief, Warrior, or Bandit as your first character when you have no experience with this kind of game? I was considering rolling Thief from the get go, but then I was recommended Pyromancer. However, I came to find that the Fireballs just seem to have no range to them at all, and while they have decent damage, I still have to deal with the lower melee ability.

I am completely open to the idea that I am just a terrible idiot and doing something wrong (I haven't spent much on stat points since I have no clue what is most optimal), so feel free to criticize me.

From what I've read so far that may be the way to go, I'd do Warrior from what I've seen. Apparently there isn't very much in the way of heavy armor earlier in the game, and some of the sets of light armor you come across are better than the Knight's starting armor... That said, I"m probably going to start out as the Knight anyways, just to change up the pace from DeS where heavy-armor characters weren't very feasible.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

GaistHeidegger posted:

I am still torn on abandoning my horrible attempt at a thief and starting over as a knight, particularly after hearing now that being tanky works better than in Demon Souls.

I'm going through as a Knight. I find myself missing the ability to roll half-decently, but I can take a few hits without crapping my pants. Also keep in mind his regular movement speed is a bit slower too, I'm thinking of buying up the chainmail armor from the undead merchant and using that instead, I've been putting a buttload of my stats into stamina.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

GaistHeidegger posted:

It would seem Knights by default start with the covenant of the white--is this problematic if you want to dive into other covenants later?

I want to get a big ole tower shield and just spear-march through corridors.

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

Once you beat the Gargoyle bosses theres an npc in the belltower who sells the book of the guilty and indictments. He also has break covenant as one of his options. I have no idea whether doing that with him incurs a penalty though.

Gamespot had a blurb about that in their 'game guide' for Dark Souls, I think they said no penalties, but I'm too lazy to go look again.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man alive. What a day. First I go into human form and am advancing my way through the parish. I get invaded by a priest who uses his magic to force me off a bridge. Oh well, not much lost. I try the same approach, recover my bloodstain, get a few souls together, and go back to human form.

Get invaded in the EXACT same spot, yet fortune smiles upon me and I find a summoning beacon. I bring a homie into the world to help out with this rear end in a top hat.... except he isn't there, and the way to the blacksmith is now blocked off.

So my homie heads into the chapel with the black knight that has that bigass shield. turns out this is where the other invading dude is hiding, who has some wicked gear and starts slowing all of us. My bro isn't much help and gets slaughtered by the black knight. I stick it out for a while trying to flee but eventually I get clubbed by that bastard.

I take the high road and decide going human in that area isn't the best method, so I work my way through and make it to the blacksmith! Finally, I decide a victory beer is in order so I toss my controller carelessly aside.... Which results in me giving the black smith a little love-tap with my shield. He goes aggro, gently caress my life.

Time to restart I suppose.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just a theoretical here... Lets say you are about to go on to NG+, is there anything holding you back from going back through the game and killing every NPC for their items before you take on the final boss?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was scoping a different forum, and I don't know if it is mentioned here, but somebody has found a way to sort of organize how to play with specific people.

If you both are in the same area of the map and meet the same level requirements, all you have to do is put down your stone, wait 20 seconds, and if it doesn't show up on the other person's side, you pick it up and try it again, which will supposedly sample a different server for available players. You just keep picking it up and waiting a bit until it appears for your friend.

I'm going to have to try this tonight, my friend just picked this game up.

Unrelated question: I was bored watching the Darkroot farming foes fall off the cliff so I decided to melee all of them for fun. Do they drop anything?

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 12, 2011

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

loving hell when can you even begin to fight a black knight? I'm 30 and he's still breaking through all my stamina and half my health each hit and there's nowhere to dodge because it's a small loving tower.

e: And their attacks stop healing from the flask? Seriously? How is that even remotely fair?

e: AND they're unblockable? How am I supposed to kill this? You can't dodge it because there's no room to dodge, you can block because he ignores it, and you can't heal because he stops it.

There are a couple different knights with different weapons, but most of them once you know what you're doing aren't too difficult, sort of like a mini-boss, they telegraph what they're doing.

Things to try:

Make sure your shield has 100% physical resistance. Also, spending souls to upgrade your equipment is much more worthwhile then spending it on anything else, and the FIRST thing you want to upgrade to the max is your shield, its benefits are worthwhile.

As long as you have sufficient stamina the shield should 'eat' the hits. Armor with poise will help but realistically you DON'T want to get hit if you can avoid it at all. Think of your shield as a back-up in case you get smacked, if you do get smacked immediately try to roll back before they can line up a follow-up swing. Don't get greedy, one swing, two if you know his patterns well enough.

Overall, I can't stress how important having high stamina is. At the same level as you I have about 30 points in stamina, and with a +6 shield that has 100% physical I was able to absorb the swings even from that club-wielding rear end in a top hat (albeit barely), and you want to beat that club-wielding rear end in a top hat because the ring he drops is so worth the trouble.

Edit: Also one final thing about this game, and it took me a bit to realize that I was doing this... Any time you get to a new enemy, no matter if it is a boss or what, just sit back and observe it, bait it to try to get it to take swings at you so you can better understand it. Just don't go in swinging, you're asking to get hit if you don't know their routines.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2011

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's a club wielding dark knight? Where?

To tackle him early you will need the master key. He is in Undeadberg, in the tower that goes up to the parapet where you fight the Taurus demon. At the bottom there is a door there that is locked. Use the master key and go down the stairs, he has a big ol' club and a shield, but will usually 2-hand the club. The club will smack new players for all their health in one hit.

Alternatively you can approach him from behind from somewhere in the Darkroot garden, but I haven't really explored that part of Darkroot

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 12, 2011

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Endurance 18, Dragon Crest Shield +1. I'm at Blighttown and that's the second guy who's gone completely through my shield and stamina.

I'd suggest ditching the dragon crest, it's pitfall is that you can't upgrade it too much. I'd of saved my twinkling titanite for something else if I were you.

I use the Knight's Shield and have it upgraded to +6 right now, well worth it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

(Cheesing havel)

Man I gotta try this next time.

I got him at SL30, with about 30 pts into Endurance, with a +6 shield a single hit wouldn't hurt me, but it depleted my stamina. Thankfully I have just enough left to roll away.

Either way, that ring is pretty drat good.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

I have absolutely no idea what to upgrade and what to direct upgrades towards. Like my shield is +1 or 2 and I just got the Gold Hemmed Armor which seems pretty good for now, but I'm still using the Drake Sword because I just have no idea what weapons I should look into upgrading. I'm playing a melee/lighter tank kind character; if anyone could give me tips on weapons to look at/put titanite into, that'd be great. I kind of prefer quicker 1-handed stuff if that helps.

I would suggest you start upgrading a winged spear. Great for narrow pathways, and you can keep your shield up while you poke people. It takes a bit before it starts doing similar damage as the drake, but on the other hand being able to poke people while they wind up their attack animations with impunity is very very useful (just be wary of your stamina). My spear doesn't dish out the damage as much as the drake sword does, but I find myself using it more often than not.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah, okay. At least it's not mandatory. Maybe I'll come back later and see if the problem has resolved itself.

Yeah I had the disappearing dragon bug as well. I went off to another area for a while and on a whim I went back up there and there he was.

Strangely I shot him with a single arrow which glitched him again and made him disappear. I went back down the stairs and then got 10,000 souls for killing him somehow. It is a mystery.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The.GreyWolf posted:

Personally, I'd upgrade the Lightning Spear. That thing is awesome.

Is that found in Blighttown? I've been avoiding that place like the ... plague. I went down there, killed some fatties, some how got toxic status (nothing hit me?!), and ran all the way back up to the depths like a little bitch (had a fair amount of humanity/souls on me)

On the other hand I keep hearing about all the sweet gear that is down there...

Any rings/gear I should scoop up before heading down?

Is it better to access blighttown from the valley of the drakes or to go through the depths?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

nauggins posted:

Just made it through Sen's Fortress, gently caress yeah. I had to summon a MRxSODOMY to help with the boss. If you're reading this, MRxSODOMY, you're a champ.

I'm having trouble lately, though. I do gently caress all for damage. The snake dudes in the Fortress? Yeah I smack those haters for like 34 damage with the Drake Sword. I'm in a mix of Stone/Eastern armors with a Hollow Soldier Shield +5, so I can take hits pretty well, I just can't hurt anything. I'm like SL 44, STR 25. I know there are better options out there, but I don't have anything that looks better stats-wise (besides the Black Knight Sword, but I would need to pump 6 more points in DEX just to be able to wield it.) I pumped STR to 25 to try out the Zweihander and Butcher Knife, but when I swing them, I end up doing this dumb stumbly thing at the end of the swing and the Drake Sword still seems to hit harder.

gently caress imma do, ya'll?

I'm in the same situation as you. I got to Sen's last night, waltzed in and got pimp-slapped by those snakemen.

That said, remember this: The drake sword isn't working, so shelf that thing and think of an alternate strategy. I'm going to try different weapons that DON'T cause slashing damage since the drake's sword sucks vs them, perhaps they have a weakness there, if I get desperate I'm going to blow all my green titanite to make a divine weapon or something like that. Been thinking about this all morning.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leyburn posted:

When I first started my guy I was going for strength focussed for maximum melee fun. Now in my NG+ I've finally gotten both my Str and End to 40. Early in the game I pumped Resistance to 20 because I needed some more defence, and I've also put Dex to 13 to meet some weapon stats and Attunement to 10 so I could have a single pyromancy on me. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with my stats now. Vitality is somewhere around 30, but I can't see much point in putting it much higher, but I'll push it up to 40 if there's nothing else useful to bother with.

Any thoughts?

Two more Attunement will give you another pyro slot, if that is your thing.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vatek posted:

Lightning spear. The answer is always lightning spear.

Isn't that found inside Sen's Fortress?? I can't get through the front door :(

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

This has been me, except my claymore (and it's only +2 lightning right now). I love how versatile it is. Side-to-side sweeps single handed, vertical two handed. A great forward stab one handed, followed by a vertical sweep. The strong 2-handed I never use, though.

I wish that I had a cooler looking shield. Crystal Ring is neat but worthless for blocking. Eagle shield is so drab, and Hollow Soldier is scratched, grey, and dull. Silver Knight shield looks awesome but sucks. :(

If only there was a decent strategy to this game without making a fashion statement. What good is winning if you can't look good doing it? :mad:

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 17, 2011

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigLeafyTree posted:

Not sure if everyone knows this and I'm just being dumb, but I never knew there was a bonfire in Sen's Fortress even though I've been here like 10 times.

You have to walk off a ledge in the upper area, where the giant lobs the bombs.

Another thing that is easy to overlook is in that building right before you get to the archer you'll see the two gibbet cages. You can open one of these and use it as an elevator to get all the way to the bottom of Sen's.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
To get Lautrec's ring do you have to kill him in his cell? Or can I kill him just chillin outside the firekeeper's cell at firelink? I decided I didn't want any of his other crap and I wanted that ring now.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dear Watson posted:

As said before, with the customization you can do basically anything. My SL1 Santa Smough is a very very bright blue lady with very very bright green pigtails.

I love the customization in this game.

edit: I am waiting to assist people on the capra demon and the first guy was too impatient to wait for me to enter the world. I got the message that he was slain before I materialized :(

Carpa can be a tough one even with summons. I've helped a few times where the dude summons two bros, he goes in first and instantly gets double-dog-dicked and smashed by carpa while me and the other summon just barely got through the doorway.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I appear to have misplaced that spear or something. I have no idea how that happened. I think I'll go with a fire claymore, because it turns out that my stats can support that.

edit: How did I just figure out you can attack and block at the same time with an estoc? I've been using this since the beginning of the game and I just beat O&S :psyduck:

If it makes you feel any better I got all the way to S&O without knowing you could hold down circle and run

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

Which blacksmith upgrades weapons/shields to boss items? I have a +10 shield but none seem to want to turn it into the butterfly shield. Also, do boss souls carry over to NG+ or do I need to finish forging them beforehand?

The giant blacksmith converts over boss weapons. Also for the sheild you're trying to get, make sure you have the right base type of shield, has to be a smaller one like a Target Shield if I recall correctly.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ReverendHorsePussy posted:

Newest "The Dark Soul" checking in. 131 hours total playtime. 2 and a half full playthroughs and I never was cursed. Not even close. Did anyone else experience this? Just seemed like, unless you were TRYING, it was really difficult to actually get cursed.

Never been cursed, ever. I don't use the cursebite ring or anything, I just give those assholes plenty of space and patience.

Patience in this game is like a hidden stat.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Counting danger factor, what's the simplest way to score a Titanite Slab? I got the Stray Demon's already. I used it. I need another.

There are two other ways, one guaranteed way is to complete the Sigmere (AKA BroOnion) quest, though it is easy to gently caress up the order.

Or, you can try and farm it though it is very rare. The DarkWraith (Skullknights) have a very small chance of dropping one. Seems to be DeS equivalent of Pure Bladestone.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

neetz posted:

Have you killed all the lizards in the Great Hollow? I generally get at least one there. I had three on one character. It's not guaranteed, however.

Failing that, what system/level are you? It would be difficult to arrange but I can give you one of mine.

You can score Titinate Slabs there? Guess I should go try to clear it again, I just hate the hollow with a passion.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Just lost 96k souls to the bigass dinosaur demon things in Izalith :negative:

My solution to dino butts is to run past them all and try to draw them close to the temple in the middle of that lake. Hide inside, they'll try to swing at you from outside but normally wont hit (keep your shield up just in case) but what they will do is hit eachother. Keep drawing more back, and let the dino butts take eachother out.

Easiest way I found. loving hated those things.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just picked the game up again, getting back in the swing of things. The very first guy I summoned went and spanked the first black knight, and went down and spanked Havel.

The dude was riposting Havel. Thank you random dude, whoever you are.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I just picked this game up not to long ago, and lo and behold I now see they are coming out with the extended PC version, though not too big a deal for me I can wait out the extra content DLC being released later next month.

My question is will our existing characters be able to work with the new content or will we have to start all over again?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My Faith/Str build has been the luckiest build I've ran so far.

1. Got the Channeler's Trident in the Depths.
2. In Anor Londo I was invaded by a shirtless dude who dropped 10 Titanite Slabs for me. (he killed me easily)
3. Moments after that invasion I killed a mimic chest and got the Symbol of Avarice

I had completely forgotten the Symbol of Avarice was even in the game.

Edit:

The Zombie Guy posted:

That drat treebranch

Screw that branch. Going over it is fine, coming back is a bitch. If you jump off the right hand side of the platform just before the branch you can make it across and down one level, just takes a little health away.

Edit edit:

Also what is the rub with bows? I never use them much apart from utility. What kind of bows (apart from the Dragonslayer of course) do you most you run?

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 8, 2013

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So what is this Giant Dad everybody is talking about?

Stop me if I'm wrong but from what I gather:

A NG+ Dude wearing giant's set with the father mask

Has just enough points into STR to two-hand wield the Zwei

All other points go into Endurance and Vitality

and the point of the build is to tank other people's blows, while your high poise lets you swing through everybody else's hits?

If that is right I may be starting one tonight that poo poo sounds hilarious.

VVVV Yes VVVV

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 9, 2013

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lazy Programming posted:

I hate you all. Every one of you. gently caress giant dad. Be creative. Stop making me kill them all the time. They are everywhere. Just die. Just die. just die. just die. Bring me peace. Give me something new to fight. :smith: :smithicide: :smithfrog: :smithmouth: :smithcloud:

erotic dad posted:

Wrong, giantdads are everywhere and loving dumb and bad.

Nice, a preview of the hatemail I'll soon recieve.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Preorder bonus DLC!! Start with your very own ELITE KNIGHT ARMOR set, and a startup 50,000 souls!! Wow! Cool!

I can only hope this won't be the case.

In related news Namco has been bought out by EA. :haw:

I know it is super early, but it would be neat if you could import a save state from a previous playthrough and the choices you made there determine the world you're playing in the sequel, eg. Dark Anor Londo carries over, etc.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
On SL1 playthroughs what are most people using as a starting class? Pyro? Deprived?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pocketbelt posted:

I admit I was honestly a bit worried by the initial interviews back when it was revealed that they were making an easier game, but then they showed the one-hit-kill axe to the neck, getting trampled to death by the chariot and getting mauled by those large rat things and frankly, it looks as every bit as hard it ever has been. I'm no longer worried about it, that gameplay demo looked amazing and the new stuff they've added like using both weapons when dual-wielding and neutral enemies that only gun for you if attacked first (like that cyclops thing) is really, really cool. All they need to do now is let your armour have a cape and I'll be satisfied completely.

This had better loving make a 2013 release if it's at all possible, I don't want to wait until next year to play this.

If it is the same article as I saw a little over a week ago, you MIGHT want to double check which day of the year it was made on.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

In the Valley of the Drakes. From the entrance to Blighttown, go across the wooden bridge. Instead of going left to New Londo, go right down the narrow path. Should be at the end.

Are you required to defeat 4k with Beatrice? Or can I just summon her once, die to them, then go find it? (or defeat 45 w/o her help after dieing with her help? them and find it?)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edit: Christ. look up like a half page. Ever day i'm flickerin' flickerin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there is a relatively easy way of getting a dickload of souls by deleting your game data, making a new character and using the ol' dragon head glitch in offline mode to rack up the levels. Plus there is a method of transferring (non-DLC) inventory onto a new character if one were so inclined.

• Locked thread