Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Pretty big Demon's Souls fan (despite being absolutely horrible at it) here and I finally got Dark Souls last week. I have been playing the living poo poo out of it, because it is loving awesome, and I just... have... to... get... one... step... further... before... bed... and next thing you know it's 4:30 AM. Loving this stuff right here. I just made it past the archers of Anor Londo and the silver knights were completely pounding my face to a pulp, repeatedly. With ease. The sword guys I could fight, and win, but it would take forever, but the spear guys would just rip my poo poo up. Okay, that's how this game sort of works, I figured I'd take a break and go do something else for a while... I'll just finish this one last run right there.

I turn a corner into a room with a silver knight with a spear, completely wig out, hit a wrong button or something, did a weird thing with my shield, and bumped the guy's weapon out of the way, then, completely to my surprise, proceeded to stab him in the motherfucking stomach, pretty much killing him instantly. What? Where the hell did this poo poo come from? Why did this not happen before? So, I messed around a bit trying to figure out what that even was, then did some Googling, and... it was a parry/riposte. Apparently, it's a vital game mechanic that I had somehow gone through the entirety of Demon's Souls and almost half of Dark Souls without even knowing it existed?

I spent about 15 seconds feeling like a total idiot then quickly got over that when I began completely annihilating big dumb silver knights nearly instantly and and became an unstoppable death merchant. At least to silver knights. I'm sure there will be something else right around the corner that completely wrecks me again, but I'll deal with that when I have to.

How I even beat Demon's Souls much less survived this much of Dark Souls I really have no idea, but you know what? I don't really care. This sort of poo poo is why I love these games.

Also: just got a mimic hat. Woohoo!

nominal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
I am such a parrying little bitch now that I figured out how to do it ,and have been running around all over the place basically grabbing some souls to pump up my dex and get a ton of stock on all the various arrows I can find. Got bored stabbing Silver Knights in the dick and wandered around a little, even (accidentally) took a little side trip the back way through Darkroot Gardens (found the ladder after killing the hydra), got jumped by the cast of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, put my parrying skills to work there, and successfully diced them into tiny little chunks with my trusty +10 Iato, which was a really awesome accomplishment for me since I was out of Estus Flasks and was flipping the hell out throughout that little battle.

What's weird, though, is despite seeing a lot of people talk about the target shield and parrying dagger being awesome for parrying, I am absolutely horrible with both of those. It looks like the parry animation is a bit longer, but for some reason, I cannot parry worth a poo poo in anything but my trusty crest shield. I'm alright with that, though. It seems to get the job done and has the advantage of being able to block pretty well when I needed to.

Did O&S last night for the first time with a couple online people. ALMOST took out the fat guy, then I seemed to have died without really knowing what even got me. I did manage to survive long enough to marvel at you guys doing it alone at SL1 and wondering what kind of crazy cyborg reflexes you must have

e: hell yes, O&S are down now

nominal fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 15, 2012

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
^^Capra Demon took me about a bazillion tries. I had about the same experience as you. Walk in, try to figure out what the hell is going on, die, repeat. I think eventually I just got lucky and managed to dash past him up the stairs, where I could take out the dogs. The first time I was able to kill both the dogs, I killed Capra. Freakin' dogs

So, about right after killing Sif (on the first try, thanks to playing a hunch that rolling towards him under his belly would work), I stumbled into the Moonlight Butterfly area a little before I was expecting to. I couldn't find where she was, so I ran all the way to the other end of the bridge and looked around, finally saw her near where I came in. She was just sitting there, chillin'. She basically just hovered right there off the bridge, slowly creeping towards me, but otherwise completely content to allow me to pelt her with arrows repeatedly. She landed in the middle of the bridge and did some sort of glowy-explosion type thing, but I was pretty far away, too busy shooting things are her to really care.

That was her only hostile action, though. Then she started hovering again. Then she died. Was that... normal? Seemed like a real gimme for a Dark Souls boss fight. I feel like I cheesed her or something without even really meaning to

nominal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 16, 2012

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
Those archers suck. I ended up cheesing it by finding a point about 1/3 up the walkway towards them (right after the two gargoyles, but before the steeple at the midpoint) where their arrows were getting intercepted by the rails on the walkway. Then I either took my time and just plinked them to death or probably used poison arrows

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
I got sucked into the painting and am currently beating up Phalanx repeatedly because hey, free souls. Once I leave here, is this a place I can come back to, or is this stage just a one-off?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro

dahlis posted:

Is there any way to sneak by the boulder-throwing enemies just outside Quelaag(?). Keep getting stuck or falling down in their line of sight.

I have never fought these guys. I think I managed to avoid them buy basically hugging the wall to the right the entire time I run there from the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

What are they?
Pork Pro
Fuckdamn I hate the capra demon boss fight. Even on NG+ it's pretty much the same "walk in, take 2 steps, die horribly" cycle that it was my first time through

e: I am not worthy of this game for not knowing that just slapping on some armor with more poise would make this fight a cakewalk

nominal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2012

• Locked thread