Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Just started playing a friend's copy and I have a few questions.

Been doing some reading on gear and it seems that stat scaling is fairly irrelevant. It seems that with some early "static" weapons like Drake Sword, and later element weapons covering all bases, it seems like there is little point is specializing in STR/DEX. Can anyone with a 'pure' high level STR/DEX confirm whether they are seeing better benefit from "normal" weapons with high character stats, or whether the element weapons basically outlcass whatever you have.

I'm not really complaining, just wondering if it would really be wise to pursue a strength or dexterity build. Am I mistaken in that it would be "better" to just pursue base requirements, upgrade to element weapons, and then pump the rest of the Soul Levels into something like Vit, Int, Faith? Between things like Drake Sword being impressively awesome early on, and element weapons later often (always?) being better then their pure upgraded counter-parts, there just doesn't seem to be any point in the game were a strength/dex build would really be beneficial, unless you simply want to neglect other tools like sorcery/miracles (which is A-OK).

Just wondering if I missed something, which may be as simple as "upgrading element weapons significantly is insane grinding".

Also, it has probably been mentioned in the thread repeatedly, but it isn't in the OP or the PDF. How much, exactly, does human form increase curse resistance? Guess when you are scrounging for as much resistance as possible it doesn't matter, I would just like to know before I start grinding rats. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

I dunno that all sounds pretty convoluted to me! Good job on catching the imperfect dragons though. It seems pretty likely that the snakemen (and possibly by extension Priscilla and Gwyndolin) are creations of Seath, he is obviously doing some pretty grody research into Things Not Meant for Man to Know.

Something to remember is that Seath is from the King's Field series, and is one of two Dragon "gods" created by Vallad, God of Earth, whom in turn was created by Sylval. Elwin, God of the Sea, and Elfos, God of the Sky hosed off basically immediately after creation, which I guess is why Vallad made Seath and Guyra. Unfortunately they ended up being polar opposites and kinda sought to pitt the world against one another. Vallad was basically hosed at this point, since he didn't have any influence over his own creations, having basically invested all of himself/herself/iteself into creating Seath and Guyra.

Scroll (crtl+f) down to "Story of King's Field Series"
http://ktn87kingsfield.webs.com/generalkftipsstorylinks.htm

All of this apparently came straight off a bonus DVD from FROM software, in case you're wondering about what of this is canon.

Anyway, there is a lot going on the world of Valicia, and there are some hints of a greater darkness/evil that is generally corrupting things. Whether any of this is relevant to Dark Souls I can't say, but for the theory crafters/fanfic wankers, here it is.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Penny_Dreadful posted:

The Morning Star is a weird weapon in that it's a mace that does thrust damage instead of strike, the game can't even decide what classification of weapon it is since it changes from Strike to Thrust when you toggle the status screen on it.

Considering some comments earlier about it doing much more damage compared to similar attack power (strike only) weapons, it may be possible the Morning Star actually deals both strike AND thrust damage on top of eachother at whatever damage rating the weapon has. If anyone has spare resources and time: go beat some skeletons with the Morning Star, and two or three other weapons with similar attack power. Now go upgrade ALL of them in such a way their attack powers remain similar. IE: upgrade the mace once or twice compared to the other weapons two/three, so long as their damage ratings on the status menus are within 2 or 3 points of one another. Now go back and beat on some skeletons and see if the Morning Star scales in damage any faster than the other weapons.

The actual upgrades on the Morning Star may even be balanced around this, and only grant +2-4 damage per upgrade, opposed to the more typical +7-8.

Not that this is any sort of guarantee to discovering the damage formula. Morning Star may simply deal more damage because it is incredibly slow for its attack power, and melee damage in general works on some sort of coefficient relative to the number of frames of animation and the weapon's attack power. But I like the idea that the Morning Star actually deals its attack power damage "twice", once as thrusting and then again as striking.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Is 57 too high to be white phantoming O&S?

Sounds about the right SL.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

waspinator posted:

I think I'm going to try a shieldless 2 fist weapon run. Oh god why am I such a masochist.

Do it. Lightning in your right hand, fire in the left. I guess you could put a Dark Fist in your left for the 80% block, but you're not a sissy.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Macksy posted:

So what are the options for PVP? Can you get cracked red eye orbs somewhere or are you forced to join darkwraith if you want to pvp?

You can join Darkmoon Blades for something similar.

Forest Hunters allows for some relatively free-for-all sort of PvP in Darkroot. Equip the ring and you POTENTIALLY get summoned to fight off non-covenant. Path of the Dragon might also be serviceable. You get a repeat use item that lets you "invade" people carrying dragon scales. They can actually disregard your "invade" however.

So basically your only options are Darkmoon Blades, and Darkwraiths. Forest Hunters if you don't care WHERE you PvP.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

What's the rough level most people take on Gaping Dragon at? I'm SL17 because I've dumped all my souls into getting my pyro hand to +10 and I really just want to help people out in that fight and farm humanity for the eventual Chaos shortcut.

Might be a TAD low, but 17 would be fine for assists. Just put your stone nearer the bonfire, instead of right outside the fog door.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Volitaire posted:

The best way I've found to get in on some PvP action is to host in popular invading areas. If you hold off on killing Sif and just sit in body form in the woods around lvl 50-70 you'll be absolutely swarmed with invaders. Works pretty good in Anor Londo too. gently caress the covenants just let those jerks come to you.

This is good advice as well, since it means you can join Darkmoon Blades/Darkwaiths AS WELL, and still get the best of those and Forest Hunters, nevermind affording you an additional ring slot. The only downside is that you can be invaded by more than 1 Forest Hunter covenant member simultaneously. For these purposes I guess that might as well be a perk.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Volitaire posted:

I honestly have a harder time parrying with the dagger than anything else. The animation is just weird and its hard to tell when the window of opportunity is.
Parrying should always be performed immediately before the attack would connect. Equipment with special animations simply give you a slightly larger window of opportunity (Target Shield/Parrying Dagger), and/or reduce your parry "cool-down" (Mail Breaker) so you might be able to make another parry chance in case you get mixed up. Try everything. I am constantly surprised by weapons and special attacks.

On Special attacks
Can we get a list of weapons with unique "functions"?

Parrying Dagger
Target Shield
Mail Breaker

All have special parry animations. Apparently the Rapier does as well?

I DID discover the Scimitar has a sweet rear end flourish special when you "kick" (forward+light attack). I have no idea what it does, if anything special, but it got me wondering what other weapons have neat specials like it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ellipson posted:

It's neat to look at but ultimately it kind of sucks. I'm main handing a longsword on my new character and having the kick makes life a lot easier in Burg/Parish at least.
Anyone have a chance to test right now? It have some invincibility frames, allowing you to retreat and avoid attacks while countering? Not in the least bit easy to pull off, but might be "fun". Would work well with its own strong attack that again closes distance, or as a follow up to again retreat after a successful strong attack.

I'm just a sucker for flashy stuff.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

Hmm so I meet the requirements for the halberd but my guy seems to fail like an infant when trying to use it. I heard stuff like more str makes big str weapons swing faster? Is that true? Do I need more than the minimum dex?

More than the minimums only increase damage, and only if the weapon scales with stats. What you are seeing with the halberd is just what the halberd does. It is a trade off for the incredible range.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I agree that Demon's Souls is an overall better game. Dark Souls has areas I actually dislike because they are stupid (Lost Izalith), while Demon's had areas I hated because they were hard/unfair (5/1, 5/2) but didn't dislike at all from a design or gameplay standard. Demon's Souls benefits from Less is More, while Dark Souls tries to be a bit too grandscaled.
This really isn't fair. It is A-OK to like one over the other, but I don't think Dark Souls was "trying to be grandscaled", as much as simply setting the game in a cohesive/seamless world. In doing this Dark Souls is a in a lot of ways a much better adventure. It is in fact Dark Souls STRENGTH. It has greater potential for rewarding the player's knowledge of that single cohesive world in the form of sequence breaks. That doesn't mean the stage select method in Demon's isn't its strength, because it is. The point is simply that they are different, and the difference is fundamental.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I decided to head down to the catacombs in order to upgrade my claymore to fire but need a divine weapon first to kill the skeletons.
Off to blighttown I went for farming green titanite off leechs. Of three runs killing them, I got one drop of one chunk of green. They didn't drop anything else. Looks like I'll be spending my time in the blight tonight.

Where are these leeches? I only found one on my trip through Blightown, but I took the back entrance from Valley of the Drakes. Can someone give me directions from the swamp level bonfire (is there even any other?).

I am about to do the same (make a divine weapon, hit the catacombs, and get some fire weapons) but I did take a trip to Sen's Fort for the +item find ring, so I am hoping the 5(!) green chunks those things drop will pay off better than slimes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I think someone confirmed that it does.

Is there any good way to get Priscilla's tail if I don't have any useful pyromancy?

Give a Fire element weapon a try.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Brasseye posted:

I managed to upgrade my pyro hand to +10, and found the trainer in the swamp. When I first saw her I bought both types of combustion and theyre pretty awesome, but Ive managed to save up a few souls, probably about 50k including the ones in my inventory. Could anyone reccommend what spells of hers are worth getting? Or would I be better off with the two combustions?
Depends on your total attunement slots. If you only have two, for example, then maybe you should merely stack the best combustion pyros. On the other hand, if you only have 1 Greater Combustion, then you should probably get 1 Greater Fireball, and slot those. They are slower, but have range better AoE and much better damage.

If you are already setup with the most/best spells, then maybe you should spend your souls on more pyro hand upgrades to get the most out of what you can use.

Before just dumping souls into the pyro hand, grab up any "effect" spells. Things like Iron Flesh, Flash Sweat, etc, are absolutely worth the souls, although not always the attunement slot. Buying them now can save you a lot of trouble later.

Finally, since you talked to Quelana, make sure you have a lot of souls, and clean out Laurentius' inventory the next time you go talk to him (if you even rescued him from the Depths). It isn't a big deal since attunement slots are limited, but since you can stack the same spells, and vendors generally only sell one "copy" of each spell, it can be nice to have as many copies as you can possibly afford. Needless to say, Laurentius won't be around much longer.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 28, 2011

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Drox posted:

You know, I was a little underwhelmed. I died three times, then remembered I had the lightning resist ring and killed them with Combustion. It did not feel very glorious.
Why? You were faced with a problem, and you considered the tools you had before making a conscious and deliberate decision to address that problem. Finally, it worked.

The point is, there are options, so any strategy/tactic that works, unless it is obviously an exploit (using Dragon Mask to spam black fire bombs or something, I don't know), then Congratulations. There was no clear "solution", but you found one. Compare that to virtually ANY other game on the market where the gimmick is the ONLY solution.

The fact there may be a "best" solution doesn't change anything. Beating your head against the wall and simply fighting O&S until muscle memory can carry you through the fight is equally valid, but in my opinion is certainly no more "glorious" than using your wit to even the odds as you did.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Miijhal posted:

You get the additional reward of having your kick animation nerfed to hell by being replaced by MAGGOT ATTACK!
If this can infect other players it will absolutely be worth it.

vvv Quelaag's is actually really good, since A) it deals MOST of its damage in Fire, so the double resistance hit isn't as bad, B) with 10 Humanity, it really does do some really good damage, basically equal to comparable curved Fire swords with nothing more than base stats. C) It then only gets better with more Dex.

You DO need Humanity to take advantage of the weapon, so it is really little more than a PvP weapon, but it is absolutely a good weapon for a Darkwraith/Darkmoon Blade, who can easily accumulate humanity without risking it in the process.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 28, 2011

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

A boss weapon currently still serving me very well in NG+ is the Lifehunter Scythe. It's properly amazing. Just make sure you have a high bleed resistance.

On this, has anyone bothered with Priscilla's Dagger? It has a similar +50% Bleed effect (opposed to the more common 30%). Just wondering if someone with both can comment on how much more/less trouble it is to inflict Bleed with one or the other.

My guess is the Lifehunt "cuts" through Bleed resist better, where scaling resistances in NG++ will make the dagger "scale" relatively poorly, even if Bleed itself scales loving AWESOME.

Anyway, I started using the Barbed Straight Sword (Depths Kirk NPC invasion) and am now a big lover of Bleed. Still working on my build, but bleed is turning out to be a really fun. Ironically, this means I blow everything up with pryomancy BUT the bosses.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

lohli posted:

To clarify, the drake sword becomes obsolete because of the lightning spear you find in sen's.

This isn't all there is to it. Drake Sword could absolutely remain competitive if you keep upgrading it. It won't be GOOD, but it wouldn't be bad. It becomes genuinely BAD when you look at the top end. It is roughly identical to a Longsword+15, if the Longsword user has 40 STR AND DEX. Not too bad, right? Nah, because that longsword will still get beat by a ______ element longsword. Only reason the Normal +15 remains viable is because you can enchant it. Drake Sword would be AWESOME if you could enchant it, but instead it gets outclassed with the Lightning Spear, and with absolutely nothing to look forward to at the end of the line, upgrades are pointless.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ColdCock posted:

3. Does RoFaP stack when using two? I know Havel's doesn't.
You can not equip two of the same ring.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Elysiume posted:

edit: The loving crow grab has unlimited range or something? This is loving poo poo.

It has a minimum range. When you see them squat, close the distance, they will leap over your head.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I don't think a game has ever made me feel so bad. She was so sad, but she's the offspring of two of my groups of enemies, living in a crumbling world made to hide her away. I wish there was a way to peacefully ask for her dagger and scythe. :(

You mean her tail and her soul? No, I do not believe there is any way to peacefully negotiate for either of those, let alone both.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Kren and I are trying to figure out how to min/max Sorcery Damage. Rocking a Bellowing Dragon Ring, Dusk Crown, and Antiquated Dress.

Unfortunately, damage bonuses from INT seem to be pretty minimal, and one additional point (at about 25 INT) doesn't seem to improve damage on even the highest (current) rank Soul Arrows. Oddly enough, the basic "Soul Arrow" did see a 2 point damage increase. What's the deal? Is it just a fluke. It isn't like we have been particularly thorough, but with roughly +50% magic damage we would expect to see some sort of noticeable improvement from a Greater Heavy Soul Arrow, even if it is only 1 point.

Could it be the Catalyst? I thought Sorceries simply scaled with INT, and the Catalyst "MagAdjust" was some sort of bonus contribution. He is using the C(?) scaling Catalyst purchased from Oolacile, but I was under the impression the INT scaling on Catalysts only influenced the melee damage with said Catalyst. It doesn't seem like the MagAdjust is changing, at least.

Summary: Want to make magic boom big boom. How do?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Auracounts posted:

Any particular reason to hang onto my Core of an Iron Golem? (Not interested in the fist or axe)

Edit: Err, this is weird and maybe someone can shed some light on why I was just gifted these items. I was running to the Parish blacksmith when I noticed a new item drop inside the parish. I picked it up and gained 7 humanity and the pendant. I's on end stages and ready to face Gwyn after I finish tooling around. Is this a plot point I missed?
That used to be Rhea

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zereth posted:

Now, assuming summoning people is a non-starter due to lovely internet, can anybody give me some advice for how to get through this?

What worked for me was a Hollow Soldier +10 shield (upgraded Eagle Shield would be better), and light (under 25% equip) armor. You want to be mobile, which I'll get into. Otherwise, be careful with your stamina. Eat a green herb before the fight to help at the beginning, although it won't last long, and this strategy takes a few minutes.

What you want to do is backpeddle the whole time, working around the room in a big arc. Your goal is to keep both S&O onscreen. LOCK on to O can help. Since S is slow and doesn't hop around as much it "should" be easier to correct your orientation, and more importantly, help prevent situations where Orntsein will ram his spear up your rear end.

Bide your time. Do not damage rush. Only attack when you believe you can work a hit in safely, which will NOT be often. If melee, use jump attacks. If magic, no sweat.

If this doesn't seem to work itself out after a while, you really are better off farming rats and summoning Solaire. He SHOULD reliably get you through the 2v1 phase.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

doomfunk posted:

I believe that's how it works, yeah. Meaning the lightning bolts make a lightning avelyn heavily skewed towards a poorly-resisted damage type.

+5'd my Lightning Zweihander last night. :stare:

Can't quite two-hit the knights in the Kiln, though. I'd need something that does, like, five more damage per hit.

Crystal Ring Shield. Argue it is broken or whatever, but you're farming.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Requested_Username posted:

Is there a difference between Occult and Divine? On the weapon statistics menu, there's actually 2 different stats for divine and occult weapons, down at the bottom by the bleed/poison effects. Is the whole "effective against Gods and their servants" just fluff or is it actually good vs certain enemies?

Occult do bonus damage to Gods and their servants. So, roughly, bosses and Silver/Black Knights. Plenty others as well, but you should get the idea.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Awesome. I wish someone would do a big, comprehensive reference guide to the inspiration behind all the demons in this game.

It would probably have to come from the designers, because I just assumed, and still assume, the bone wheels are reanimate victims of torturous execution.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Does anyone have any idea how the scaling stats work? Looking at Gibbed's database there are number values associated with the letters, and I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how that translated into damage contributions.

Rascyc posted:

I really hope the US PS3 patch isn't being held back by the 360 accreditation process.

Its probably being held up by Bandai/Namco, since they are the ones publishing. It is entirely possible they may not even bother with the patch. Xbox already had a day 1 patch, which was the one time freebie that Mircosoft allows. I don't know how Sony handles software updates/certification.

Lotish posted:

Quick question about the values of bleeding, poison, holy(?) and dark(?) numbers on weapons. If something as a 500 bleed, does that mean it makes the effect stronger or the effect happen faster than a 300? Same question for poison. And just what do the white circle and black circle numbers actually mean?
The value for Bleed indicates how much of damage is inflicted through the bleed status, as a percentage of maximum health. So 300 = 30%. This is reduced by Bleed resistance, so you will not regularly get 50% Bleed with Lifehunt (I think), but it's still mean. How much status is inflicts per hit is weapon dependent. Faster weapons inflict less. Slower inflict more, but it is not determined by weapon category. For example Bandit Knife inflicts more Bleed status per hit than Priscilla's, where Priscilla's inflicts more damage when the Bleed is triggered.

The status on Holy (light circle), and Occult (dark circle) just indicate how much bonus damage the weapons deal to the appropriate enemy types. I don't believe any weapon is higher than 110 (so 10% bonus damage).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 2, 2011

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nakar posted:

By the way, one shield was inexplicably buffed: the Iron Round Shield. It's still not that good, but it got a Stability boost. I couldn't tell you why. Kinda like the buffs to Brass and Crystalline Armor. I wasn't aware anyone cared about those two in the first place. Though Brass does look kickass.

These were probably buffed to make more sets viable. Crystal gear was complete garbage across the board. I still don't know if the Crystalline gear is worth it, even after the buff, but at least it might be. Same for Brass, although since it can be repaired it may at least be useful to some builds.

While I don't think they have quite nailed they were much closer to "everything works with the right build" than Demon's Souls, where there was basically only one set for male/females.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

doomfunk posted:

Holy poo poo parrying is like a thousand times easier with a curved sword in my offhand than with a regular shield.

I think I will be having my <25% dex character either main a bandit knife and offhand a scimitar or (style points) painting guardian sword, or dual the curved swords. I guess I'll give him a shield of some sort for situations where parrying is worthless.

e: Is there a master list of enemies that can be parried? I know black and silver knights, all the dreglings, any player-look enemy, and roaster of eternity Gwyn can be. What about, say, Darkwraiths or ghosts or the Heavy Knights? Or... Capra demons?

As someone who was trying this, be sure to have some back up in heavy hitters/blocking, because bandit knife is garbage when your target is tough, can not be backstabbed/reposte, and otherwise doesn't take much bleed damage because of large, but otherwise still modest HP. 2Handing a Falchion of some sort might be OK, but I would still recommend something like a Murakumo for bosses (I know it is a GREAT curvedsword, but you get the picture).

EDIT: Supposedly almost any attack can be parried to negate the damage, but I really don't know about that. I have had no luck with Capra Demons, but you absolutely can parry Heavy/Tower Knight mace attacks. It is actually pretty ridiculous since the parry timing basically makes it look like you get hit, THEN their weapon gets shoved out of the way. So I guess you can theoretically forgo a shield if you can simply parry the damage, even if it doesn't trigger a recoil on the target. I'm not going to test to find out.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lotish posted:

Just to be clear, if I go down and kill the Four Kings before I place the Lordvessel with Frampt, Kaathe will talk to me and then take me to place it? Does making the trip with Kaathe piss Frampt off or is joining the Darkwraiths? I want to meet and talk with Kaathe but still leave my options open for who I side with.

Going to say that simply killing 4Kings before talking with Frampt doesn't do anything, since Kaathe does not immediately talk to you, and there is a Bonfire there you can warp away from, but why go that far if you are remotely concerned with Frampt. Just pick one or the other before hand. You can't see both dialogs on the same playthrough, so just commit.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

I think I just got screwed over, but I'm not 100% sure. I cut all of hydra's head off at ash lake. I thought that would kill him, but he continued to fight me for 3-4 more repititions before I died by sliding off the edge (of course trying to finish him off with melee). I never got 10,000 souls and when I respawned at the bonfire, the hydra was gone. I also missed out on a dragon scale :(

Collect your souls. You should pick up the 10,000 souls with it. I imagine the scale is also in your inventory.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

Also, Tomb of the Giants, how far past Patches is the bonfire?
So glad they brought back the same VA for that character though :)
Should be 180 degrees in the opposite direction (when you first encounter him).

You will face back toward the coffin you slide down on, and follow a pathway to the right. As you skirt the ledge you should see the bonfire down a level, in the darkness. Just drop down to where you see it. Should be a ladder as well, but you don't have to be careful dropping down. Just aim toward the bonfire. There will be more than enough ground to land on.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Space Hamlet posted:

So if this data is correct, weapon stat scaling is still pretty much worthless in 1.04. Upgrading a weapon to +15 gives it approximately a 15% buff to the scaling bonus, where it really needs to be more like 100% to tie with elemental. Plus which, most boss weapons continue not to upgrade their bonuses.

Welp!

Edit: Assuming I'm reading it correctly. What does the number under the letter grade actually mean?

Jetpack Postman posted:

Hmm, that's fairly interesting. I guess looks can be a bit deceiving when you're just taking into consideration raw numbers. So depending on how Resistances are calculated, a Lightning/Fire weapon with "higher" numbers may not do as much damage as a pure physical weapon with "lower" numbers. That doesn't quite make up for the fact that elemental weapons are still leagues above scaling weapons, but it DOES give us the reason why it was that way in the first place.

Hopefully From Software doesn't stop here and gives the game at least one more patch for balance issues before deciding to call it quits. They're getting there!

CodfishCartographer posted:

So uh, looking at this post-patch damage calculator it appears as though going fire/lightning is still the best way to upgrade weapons, hands-down. Even with ridiculously high numbers for stats, lightning/fire wins. The only way I'd find weapons to be consistently better than their fire/lightning counterparts was to use magic/enchanted/divine/occult scaling, and dump like 50 points into strength, dex, and the associated stat. PURE stat-scaling weapons (that only use str and/or dex) are, more often than not, worse than ANY of their elemental counterparts even with 99 in both str AND dex.

Non-elemental weapons are still straight-up worse, and anything other than unrealistically large stats for magic/enchanted/divine/occult weapons will be worse as well. Welp, guess that was a lot of time and titanite wasted in the hopes the patch would fix things!

Please stop forgetting that element weapons can not be enchanted. Normal weapons are above and beyond the best damage, period. You must use all resources available to you. If Normal weapons were the best by default there would be no point to element weapons. As they are they are about even, ignoring the huge Attribute investment. Add a coating/enchantment and Normal+15 destroyed anything other weapon within the same class.

It is balanced, and any hiccups are cleared up with the 1.04 patch. Normal+15 with a large (40 point) stat investment may not beat an element weapon in all situations, but all of those situations can be turned in the favor of normal damage with a coating/enchant.

And this is before NG+ where Elements face significant penalties because of NPC resistances. This is one reason Moonlight Greatsword is stupid good for PvE. ~450 magic damage, and you can enchant with Crystal Magic Weapon for something like 700+ pure magic damage. Or, 700 damage targeting a single defense. I don't think any other weapon compares to that damage potential, because even Ultra Greatswords must throw their bonus coating/enchant damage at a second resistance.

Yes, for a first playthrough, and in a lot of PvP, elements are pretty much uncontested. And that's OK, because the real Dark Souls begins in NG+.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Motherfuck. Is it bad that I killed that guy behind the hidden wall after Queelaag?

Already answered, but if you do not have a Pyromancy Flame, or have not/can not obtain one from Laurentius you can gently caress yourself out of Pyromancy for the playthrough. My friend did just this. Attacked the guy in the barrel, then continued to attack him instead of fleeing to absolve sins (still pretty early and he wasn't quite aware of how this stuff worked, in spite of having crossed the guy after Gargoyles), then did the same thing with that guy near the second bell. Attacked, then didn't stop when he started talking. My friend is kind of a dunderhead.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

prussian advisor posted:

I spent a long time trying and utterly failing to kill the knight dressed in the ridiculous armor wielding the huge dick-shapped hammer in the basement of the tower where you fight the Taurus Demon because I heard he dropped a ring that enormously boosted your carry weight. I assume you aren't "supposed" to be able to beat him for a long time, right? Is there some trick I was missing?
Either pick light armor and circle around his back and just repeatedly backstab him, or parry his attacks and riposte. A target shield (found in lower undead burg) can give you a slightly longer parry animation can make the timing a little easier, although it does leave you vulnerable longer if you misinterpret him switching between 1h/2h stance.

I went for parries, but either strategy works. With a non-upgrade Drake Sword it should take 4 riposte, or 5 backstabs. Just be prepared to fail. You'll get it eventually. His attacks are all "identical". So either dodge or parry as soon as the mace begins to DROP, rather than the moment he begins to wind up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Orcrez posted:

im haveing one hell of a time with Ornstein and Smough! What is the best weapon and shield to use against them?

Also where can i find someone to make me a firesword? Im so confused!?!

Equip light armor. Lock on to ornstein since he tends to move around alot. Just backpeddle most of the fight. backpeddle. Bide your time. Eventually they will both attack near simultaneously, and neither of their attacks will require you to dodge. Take that opportunity to hit one of them. I recommend Ornstein, because Smough is predictable when powered up.

That's really all there is to it. Get below 25% equip load and just make the most of your mobility by staying out of range, and attack ONLY when it is safe. Everytime I have tried at 25%+ equip load I haven't been able to keep out of range and eventually get worn down or surrounded and royally hosed before I can get both on screen again. You MAY still have troubles, but light armor is the way to go.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Papercut posted:

I don't think so, I play offline (no Live Gold) and have it happen somewhat frequently. Luckily as a tank it usually doesn't affect me too much, but it's really noticeable when it happens.

The game has an input buffer, so if you mashed buttons a bit there may be some sort of input that is still waiting to play out. Maybe movement is interacting with this. The only thing I can think of, since I also notice sometimes, when moving, estus do not seem to trigger immediately. Best advice I can give is to just play it cool. Don't touch anything but item use button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't parry ridiculously huge weapons like the Blight Ogres' clubs or Havel's Dragon Tooth.
You can, and because their weapons are so ridiculously huge they are some of the easiest enemies to parry.

• Locked thread