Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Where can I buy arrows before the red dragon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Where is the gold knight you let out of the Parish chilling? I read Firelink but I can't see him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What weapons should I be levelling up once the Drake Sword loses its effectiveness? I have the Winged Spear and Zweihander.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

God why is Bed of Chaos such a terrible boss :(

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, my main disappointment with Dark Souls is that the areas post-Lordvessel are all kinda short and weakly designed in comparison with the rest of the game. The difficulty in Demon Ruins, Izalith, Ash Lake, etc. seems to be more 'HAHAHAHA GOTCHA BITCH' than the gradual and fair development the rest of the game has.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ivantod posted:

4. Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith (Yeah it's pretty bad. Starting with the three bosses in a row thing in Demon' Ruins and it just gets worse from there).
I do like the part of Demon Ruins where you fight Capra and Taurus Demons as regular enemies - it really showed how far you'd come as a player. gently caress those little stone fire-breather guys though. They're no fun to fight and just take up time when you're on your way to your inevitable 10493th retry of Bed of Chaos/Demon Firesage.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Immediately, someone invaded and killed me in one hit while Solaire was loading, or something. I have no idea what happened. Can someone fill me in?
It's pretty much as you described it. Someone invaded and killed you. When you're human, others can invade your world.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

actionjackson posted:

What slab? It's not mentioned being in Ash Lake in the wiki.
It's a reward for following the Siegmeyer storyline to its conclusion.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Winged Spear and the Drake Sword are right there in your world waiting to be collected - they're both very good weapons for newbies looking for a power weapon.

I wouldn't recommend becoming reliant on goons swinging by to give you better gear every time you get stuck on a boss (and the gargoyles are only the start of your woes). The only way you'll get better at Dark Souls is by learning to work with what you've got, and it'll be all the more satisfying when you win!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chard posted:

I just realized that I would pay full price for a version of this game that lets you paint your armor. It's the only thing missing!
Customisable tabards, like the one that Solaire wears, would be so awesome

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The wheel skeleton basement in the Painted World... oh the horror :stare:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I don't know if these have been posted in the thread already, but I just read a really awesome translation of an interview with Hidetaka from Japanese Internet Radio here that talks about the game's design and lore.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

My favourite revelation was that Priscilla was meant to be the heroine of the game and that Maneater Mildred was a developer's gimmick build from the debugging phase.

It's also pretty cool to learn that the story was designed around the gameplay/level design to avoid 'story-chasing' and that all the dialogue and text was written by the developers themselves rather than a professional writer.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

To be honest, I'm long past the point of getting emotionally attached to humanity and souls. I lost 200K souls the other day and was like 'welp'... it's oddly liberating. There's definitely this weird element of fear to Dark Souls that makes it more difficult than it actually is at times - I often panicked/freak out because I care too much about my assets rather than being confident and saying 'gently caress it'.

I remember powering off the game in a panic on launch day because I lost 1500 souls :shobon:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I'm new to being a sunbro, but is it common for people to really take the piss with your help?

Just had someone in Anor Londo who, despite having the shortcut open, decided to clear out the entire thing and when we got to the main hall, proceeded to go to the blacksmith, so I black crystal'd out.
What did you want him to do?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SixtySix posted:

Pyromancy is a very nice extra skill to have, it's worth it to invest some souls in your spells and your pyro hand.
Pyromancy is, more than any other skill in the game, the best tool for brute-forcing your way through tough situations imo. Once you've ascended the glove to a high enough level and complemented it with the Dragoncrest Ring/Oolacile Crown, you can kill bosses like Seath, Nito and Gwyn in three or four fireballs. It was even more ridiculous in previous versions of the game.

It dilutes the challenge of the game to a pretty high degree, but busting out the pyro glove and saying 'gently caress this poo poo' is always immensely satisfying.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

I just saw the most unbelievable thing in the entire time I've played this game: somebody had put down a summon sign for Bed of Chaos :stare: Unfortunately the summoning failed...
Not a bad idea. I can't find the video off-hand, but some guy summoned two phantoms for Bed of Chaos. Each phantom went after one of the roots at the sides of the tree and the player just lurked at the beginning until they were both down then ran straight on through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Trawling this thread for info is a pretty bad idea - especially since the game has had multiple patches/rebalances since October. Follow the guides in the OP and ask any questions in here.

• Locked thread