Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I picked the game up when it released, but only played it for a little bit before abandoning for Skyrim/MW3/BF3, and just now came back.

I am loving it so far. I went Sorc, which is WAY easier than whatever melee character I ran before. I killed the Titanite Demon first try at SL 16, and almost killed the hydra first try, but I forgot about the deep water killing you, leading to my first death of the game so far. I have a couple of quick questions/advice requests:

1) Should I focus on killing the hydra to unlock Crown of Dusk/Oolacile's Catalyst next, or should I work on getting Griggs available to buy a bunch more spells?

All I have right now is Soul Arrow, which is currently wrecking stuff, from a nice safe distance, but being limited to 30 shots makes longer trips difficult. I am killing normal little guys with the Drake Sword and shield, it's just bigger guys like the Drakes in the Valley of the Drakes that suck up a full reservoir of spells before going down.

2) Wiki doesn't seem to really confirm this, but I had some trouble trying to do it. Can you stack multiple copies of the same spell when attuning magic, increasing the number you can cast? I tried last night with Soul Arrow, but it didn't seem to want to work. Do you have to buy/acquire multiple copies of the spells in order for this to work?

3) Is Int/Dex the way to go for a straight magic character? Looks like I want to take int up to 45 for maximum mag adj for Logan's Catalyst, then the majority of the rest in Dex for faster cast speed. Do I need to pump strength up to be able to equip any really major items for a magic build? I am obviously at 16 Str right now for Drake Sword.

4) Someone please hold my hand and tell me about how to/how I should be upgrading weapons/armor. :ohdear:

gently caress this game is addictive.

Edit: Only care about PvE for the time being.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
As far as melee weapons go then, I am thinking a spear like the Moonlight Butterfly spear to keep safe and ranged with shield always up. Velka's Rapier looks pretty sweet as well. In general though, in NG+ and beyond, do those end up getting outclassed by stuff like +5 Enchanted, or will those be lasting me pretty much forever? Can the +5 enchanted have Great Magic Weapon cast on them, and the "named" weapons can't? Or is it that +5 enchanted cannot, since it is ascended, and only +10 normal weapons can?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

EC posted:

Great info.

Thanks very much. I will probably end up playing this for a poo poo ton of time, with plenty of time to get stuff figured out and perfect, but I like having a plan of attack.

This is extremely helpful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've only gotten to play like 3 nights in the last 2 weeks, but I am coming along nicely, and mostly having a blast. I headed into Sen's Fortress last night first thing, and that was just loving miserable. It was the first time so far in the game that I felt like the game was resorting to cheap bullshit tactics to kill me, and then accidental poor design decisions to top it off.

1) The snake headed guys damage range is way further than the actual length of the big swords they are carrying.
2) Not a single bonfire in the whole drat place? I would get 20 minutes into it, and then have to start all over because one of the big iron balls started coming back down a path that I had turned it off of? Anger.
3) Ranged enemies on another level that get autolocked onto, after fighting a mob on your level, on a narrow beam. This led to like 4 deaths at least for me.
4) Random inconsistencies. Up until this point, mob behavior, trap behavior, pretty much everything, has been consistent. It was about observing what was going on, and then adapting to it. Sen's would toss in random occurrences, and it would always gently caress me over.

Example: The room to the left, through the first fog door, where there is the small room, connected by a small hallway with a trap in it, to another small room, with a snake guy. For the first 10 or so times through it, luring the snake guy through the hallway into the first room, he never, ever set off the trap. Tiny hallway. Big mob. So, after surmising that for whatever reason, he just doesn't set off the trap, I start poking at him in the hallway with a spear. The first 2 times through doing this, it works great. Next time, magically, he sets off the trap, unlike the last 12 loving times, and I eat three darts to the back and die.

Example: After a failed run, where I had managed to get up to the controller for which path the big iron balls go down, about 50% of the time, the ball would still be going down the path it was when I had died, the other half of the time, it would be going down the main path to get to the control room. Sometimes, it would randomly toss one ball down the outside path leading to the first fog door, instead of the solid stream like it had been.

All in all, it has been far and away the most frustrating area for me. I was also sad that I was taken straight to Anor Londo after the bossfight, since there was one more area with a big ogre guy that I still needed to clear out.

Anor Londo however has been insanely easy. It is absolutely beautiful, but boring as all hell. I died from a fall once, and that was my only death before getting to O&S, although I didn't realize that was going to be the boss door, since the place had been so short and easy, and I went in with nearly all of my spells already used, 2 levels worth of souls, at half health with only 1 Estus charge remaining, and proceeded to be poked to death rather quickly.

I watched a video of O&S today, from a Sorc PoV, and man... They were WAY less aggressive in that video than they were in my fight. Going to give it another go when I get home tonight, and should make short work of it since I did manage to get O down to like 15% on my first try, woefully unprepared, and it seems like once you kill one, the other should be easy pickings.

I love this loving game.

Edit: I thought I had gone everywhere. :ohdear:

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 27, 2012

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

The first time I went into Sen's Fortress, I didn't know about the bonfire or shortcut. I didn't play online (no wireless adapter or ethernet cable long enough). So I had to run from Andre's bonfire EVERY SINGLE TIME. All the way through the entire fortress. I got to remembering enemy placements really, really well.

This was me. Yeah. In Anor Londo now though, so no way in hell am I touching Sen's again until NG+, where I will keep an eye out for the bonfire and shortcut.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr_D posted:

Recently picked up this game and all I can say is gently caress YOU CAPRA DEMON. gently caress YOUR TINY ARENA, YOUR CAMERA FREAKOUTS, AND YOUR drat DOGS. Although it is refreshing to have a game where you die repeatedly, like the old days.

Oh Camra demon, how I love you.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Someone please tell me where the bonfire I am missing is in Tomb of the Giants.

I am seriously running from hidden room bonfire in catacombs, through like 6 big rooms before I get to pinwheels room, then through ToG to where the dude kicks you in, but I killed him. Past him I have gotten through the skeletal dog, then the wall of white light.

There has to be a closer bonfire. Because this is like 10-15 minutes of running, only to inch my way forward super slowly in the dark.

I loving hate this place. The giant skeletons loving destroy my sorcerer, since I have low endurance, and have to soul arrow them once to weaken them, before hitting them 3 times with my lovely Divine Club +5, all while dodging giant arrows that take off over 1/3 of my health.

I hate this loving game sometimes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all, found it, and also equipped the Sunlight Maggot to make things easier. Fog door is what I meant. I already placed the lord vessel, so not the yellow door anymore. I am SL 66, and have all the crystal spells, crown of dusk, bellowing serpent, etc... I do a shitload of damage, but thought that I needed to use a Divine weapon to keep the big dudes dead. Everything I do besides normal Soul Arrow one shots them, so... This should be MUCH easier now... Thanks again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I am going to be starting a new character tonight, and I am going for the super heavy physical approach. Heavy armor, giant gently caress off weapon, backup giant gently caress off shield.

It looks like Dark Wood Grain Ring and Havel's are a no-brainer, with Ring of Favor and Protection possible after I get stats up high enough to not need the 30% extra equip load from Havel's.

Any thoughts on armor and weapons though? Dragon's Greatsword and Demon's Greataxe both jump out at me for weapons, but would I be better served by just putting lightning/fire/whatever on a standard weapon?

Black Iron and Giant Armor sets look pretty awesome, but with those combined with the heavy weapon, am I going to be able to even wear everything while keeping under 50% without being a ridiculous SL?

Basically, I want to be able to take a ton of punishment, and hit things with massive, slow hits that flatten enemies.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for all of the weapon advice. For armor, pretty much just stick with whatever I can find with the highest physical defense, unless specific elemental resistance is needed for a boss yeah?

Goddamn I want to be home playing right now. This loving game.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am watching Nerthernlion's LP, and oh god I have missed so many shortcuts. :psyduck:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ivantod posted:

To be honest, to me New Londo more or less feels like a 'normal' part of the game, and is probably the favourite of mine of all four lord soul areas. I would rank them this way in order of preference

1. New Londo
2. Tomb of Giants (it's really not that bad and darkness problem can be solved in at least 3 different ways)
3. Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave (kind of meh.)
4. Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith (Yeah it's pretty bad. Starting with the three bosses in a row thing in Demon' Ruins and it just gets worse from there).

It's funny, because my list is the literal opposite of yours. I hate NL beyond all measure of reason, hate ToG, liked CC/tolerated DA, but loved LI/DR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

Had a dude invade me in Anor Londo today. He camped up the top of everybody's favourite catwalk, with a Dragonslayer bow. gently caress that noise. Three sets of goddamn arrows flying at me? No thanks.

How have I never thought to do this? :aaaaa:

• Locked thread