Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I still don't quite have a handle on this game. Would it be accurate to describe it as a combat oriented Zelda game, but with ninja gaiden-esque ball crushing difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Not really. It isn't difficult for the same reasons ninja gaiden is, and it doesn't have the sort of progression zelda titles have.
Are there any walkthrough videos that really explain how the combat in this game works? I like the difficulty of games like ninja gaiden and bayonetta and have been wanting something new, but i can't tell if I will like this(I understand it isn't fast paced and linear like those.)

quote:

If you haven't already, read the OP. It does a pretty good job of describing the game. If you don't understand after that, I'm not sure we could explain it to you any better.
The screenshots and text aren't really helping me and I haven't played the games it has been compared to.

Edit - I get the exploration and how the world works parts, but the combat mechanics are still fuzzy to me.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 28, 2011

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is the artbook a full fledged book or is it some small 30 page thing with a few sketches, cg renders, and screenshots?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Dumb question: I just put in my factory sealed copy of dark souls and I'm told the disc is unreadable, is this because something is wrong with the disc or is it because I haven't updated the 360 in like 2 years?(the newest game that has been played on it is bayonetta)

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I know people have probably asked this enough already, but...

The pendant and the masterkey. The pendant sounds like something that will be good later, and the masterkey sounds like something that can get me phatlootz and make me overpowered fast(which I don't really want), but might screw me out of visiting some area(s) of the game. Am I right?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Does it matter if I killed the knight in the asylum after he gave me the key and flask?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is it possible to run past the dragon guarding the bridge early on to get to the bonfire?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Alright, I'm at the 2 gargoyles, the closed gates by onion head, the forest guarded by the headless electric demon, and bad fps-ville filled with ghosts below firelink. Where and what am I supposed to do now? I'm thinking the gargoyles, but holy poo poo they are not easy.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTkkDYVzpvM&feature=related
What sword is this? Several vids about beating these guys feature this sword and it does as much damage as my claymore's strong attack.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Well i killed the gargoyles and rung the bell. Now what? it didn't seem to do anything.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Palleon posted:

Now you get to go down and ring the other one.
Any hints on where to go? Other than darkroot the only other place I've found has a poo poo ton of ghosts that I can't hit.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Can the black knights respawn?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I just killed the boss in blighttown before the second bell. Is there a shortcut back to firelink/the surface anywhere? I've found the path to valley of drakes, but I haven't explored anywhere there yet. I really want to buy some stuff with these 30k souls I got before I lose them and get angry(like I've already have done once in blighttown.)

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Noxville posted:

I've pretty much been going through Blighttown as fast as possible because I hate it, is there anything worth picking up in there after I've killed the boss?
Up the water wheel there's an area full of toxin-snipers(use the spider shield to block those) that has a fire keeper soul. Other than that there are some neat looking armor sets(one on the opposite end from the boss lair) and a ton of easy to kill slugs which drop large titanite and green titanite shards regularly(don't know if they drop other shards.)
Just be sure to equip your best poison resistant gear.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Traxis posted:

I tried that and they very rarely dropped it. I was getting 2-3 per run in Blighttown.

The leeches in blight give you shards, the blobs in the depths give you chunks, which is what the dude needs for his sword.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Are you quite sure? I thought the blobs also gave shards. The most reliable source of chunks I've found is black knights, so far.
You might be right, in which case don't bother with the blobs.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What armor is this? http://i.imgur.com/D2UYi.jpg

Nuther question - at what levels of attunement do I get more magic slots?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Where do I find the key that lets me unlock the valley of drakes shortcut near the blighttown swamp entrance?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

qbert posted:

Honestly? If you want the best stat/weight ratio and don't mind mixing and matching and looking silly?

Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Armor
Hard Leather Gloves
Antiquated Skirt

All fully upgraded.

Aren't the gold-hemmed black robes better than those?(edit - atleast the knight armor and glove. I dont have the helm and skirt.)

Also, just got back to firelink after ringing the second bell and holy poo poo what the hell is that thing coming out of the ground kill it KILL IT.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

qbert posted:

Perhaps in the various magic/elemental defense it is, slightly, but on pure defense, nope. And I have specialized armor for when I need elemental defenses anyways.
Could have sworn they give better defence, but maybe that's cause I never upgrade armor(edit - yup), then again unless it's an area that woops my rear end I wear what looks most badass. Elite helm, crimson robe, crimson gloves, and elite knight boots 4 lyfe*gets one hit killed*

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Help I cant find the pyro vendor in the swamp and the dude at camp has vamoosed. I want my fire spells!

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I feel totally bad for telling mr pyromancer where I got my sweet fireballz. :(

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Ornstein and Smough. Wow. I wasnt expecting one little room to nullify all the fun I've had up until this point. Is there a summon mark for Mr. Sunpants anywhere, cause I can't find it if there is.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Welp gently caress from for the smough and ornstein fight this game is no longer any fun and gently caress microsoft for not allowing me to move my saves to my live account so I could get some help with it. :(

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Seriously is there a way to cheese the ornstein and smough fight offline? I'm about an inch away from snapping the disc in half.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I'm thinking of starting a new game so I can play this on my live account, but I don't know what kinda dude I want to make. My previous guy was melee with some pyro thrown in, and I do like melee so I'm sticking with that. Does melee with some sorcery sound good, or would it be gimped once I'm not low leveled?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Can you cast magic/crystal weapon on unique weapons?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
How good are the lightning bolts you get from the sunlight covenant? I'm thinking of doing melee tank who can throw some lightnang baltz.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Hey so I've been playing a while on my non live account, but now I've got my live account hooked up with gold. Can someone just gimme a quick rundown on how to do the multi stuff(like what basic items let me help dudes, invade, ect...)

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

waspinator posted:

Belmont run still going strong: Currently trying to plow my way through demon's ruins:

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Is that a fire whip? Bro, you need to make that poo poo devine.

edit - is that devil may cry music?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Wait, what happens? All that happened in my game was that He started complaining about a smell, and then next thing I know he's hollowed, and attacking me in New Londo. Unfortunately, that fight ended with him jumping off a bridge so I don't even know what he was carrying.

nothing, unless it's a rare drop.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Dumb question, but how does the online work? i've started a new char on my live account and have yet to be invaded even though I've been human almost the whole time, have yet to be summoned despite leaving my marker at bonfires/boss doors, and everytime I try to summon someone it tells me that the summon failed after a moment or two. I'm not exactly speed running and I'm not grinding/power leveling, so I don't know what's up.

Also, can I be summoned into another's game if I'm hollow?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Not to mention the inconsistent framerates really throw off your dodge timing.

I asked before but didnt get an answer, can you be summoned into someone's game as a phantom if you're hollow? It lets me drop my signal, but I know all the other aspects of multi requires you being human.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is level 30 about where most people are at for qulaag/sens? Dudes gotta be within 10 levels of you to see your summon sign or be summoned by you, right?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What are some good unique/rare/boss soul weapons for someone doing a faith based build?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Level 32 and i can't get a bite for being summoned at Quelaag's. Any suggestion on where I should go?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So what are the options for PVP? Can you get cracked red eye orbs somewhere or are you forced to join darkwraith if you want to pvp?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Sorry Vamos, but if you didn't keep an open door to your shop next to the wheel skeletons maybe I wouldn't have smacked you by accident, but hey atleast you died by the sword you made me.

Oh and now I have a sweet viking hat.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Where's a good spot for someone who is level 45-ish to hang out to get summoned? At this rate I'll never get mah sweet lightnang boltz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There really needs to be some sort of time limit for dark phantom invasions. I'm sick of having them always run away and try to bait me into some mobs or something. YOU attacked ME, so why am I the one that has to go on the offense? It doesn't really make any sense that a dark phantom can just dick around forever preventing someone from moving forward until they hunt them down. Phantoms should have to hunt the players they invade, not the other way around.

Lucky you, I have yet to get one despite being being human for most of my second character. :( I hope they fix the online before I lose interest in this.

• Locked thread