Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Jetpack Postman posted:

By using a special item called the "White Soapstone,"......

Just to make sure... since Dark Souls got rid of the whole Body Form & Soul Form mechanic, where a Body-form player can only summon Soul-form players... In this game, you can summon ANYONE using the White Soapstone? Their Humanity amount doesn't matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Difficult enemies that give 0 Souls... Is this the games way of telling you that you are definitely not going in the right direction? or do these enemies (Ghosts who chop me in half and Resurrecting Skeletons) just not supposed give any souls ever?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Unknown_PC posted:

You can choose to kill him or not.

If you kill him, you get a ring early, some humanities

If you don't kill him, he eventually kills
Firelink's firekeeper and you lose bonfire for half of the game. You can avenge the NPC's death later in Amor Lando and get two extra armor sets, the ring, humanities. The slain NPC will also be revived

.... But what about if I DON'T kill the gold armor guy, but I already killed the Firekeeper? I didn't like the way the Firekeeper made fun of me when I first got there, so I chucked some fireballs in his face!

Now that I think about it... for the Depths Bossfight, I was able to Summon the Gold Armor dude to fight alongside me. Maybe he was happy I got rid of the firekeeper for him?
or maybe that's just a normal occurrence... *shrug*

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 6, 2011

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't kill the firekeeper, she's locked in a cage underneath the bonfirep. You just killed some dude who hangs around there.

Ohhhh....... my bad. Misunderstood!

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Pomale posted:

Any tips on how to get into that giant locked gate with the fat armored dude moping in front of it? If that's Sen's Fortress then I feel like that's where I need to be going.

Non-Spoiler: It's part of the main story path, and it opens later on; you cannot miss it.

Spoiler: It opens when you ring both bells

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Vanguard Warden posted:

Can anyone here actually confirm that the slimes in the depths have dropped green titanite for them? Because so far I've gotten a whole lot of nothing and a handful of large titanite shards.

I farmed them for 20 minutes or so and only got 1 green titanite shard. So yes, I can confirm they do drop it, but it seems to be less common than large titanite shards.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any tips for these Anor Lando snipers? They seem to have loving ballistas for bows, and just trying to approach them wrecks me.

Dodge-Roll all the Ballista's at the perfect time (you are invincible during dodge, so those huge fuckin Ballista "arrows" fly right through you)

Run towards them so that they put away the bow and take out their sword, then try and bait them to charge you and jump off the edge to their death.

Atleast that's what I did.. took me a while though.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I finally obtained an Enchanted Ember which allows me to forge the "Magic" series of weapons. So I got my +5 Winged Spear and transformed it into a Magic Winged Spear, then I started using a bunch of Titanite to reinforce it all the way to the cap (+10). Yet as soon as I hit "Magic Winged Spear +5", the Weapon disappeared from the list. I checked at the Andrei, the Blacksmith in Anor Londo, and the Sorcerer who I gave the Enchanted Ember to in the first place... none of them are allowing me to Upgrade to +6 to +10.

What gives? Please don't tell me I had to upgrade my Winged Spear to +10 before transmuting it to Magic... :v:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

EDIT; ^^^^^^

Thanks for that info! Good to know.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Does anyone have some solid strategies for beating (Final Boss) Gwyn and his massive sword of flaming gently caress-off ?

:negative:

My character build at the moment is absolutely abysmal, and I have been pretty much winging it through the entire game, narrowly beating every boss by the skin of my teeth (Usually through clever use of Ninja-Roll invulnerability and Crystal Ring Shield disc toss). But I think my luck has finally run out. He is relentless in his attacks, and really doesn't give me any openings to switch to my shield and disc-toss it. Not to mention having 14 VIT means he pretty much 1-shots me if any part of his 19 foot sword grazes me. I tried using a Black Guard Shield and Lightning Spear+5 Stabbing him, but due to my low Stamina and the low Stability, he chops right through me in one flurry. Then I tried using a Great Shield of Artorias (88 Stability, 80 Fire) and it's working out ok, but my damage is pitifully low and the window of risk is really high; one mistake is instant-death for me. Since it has 80 Fire, every sword strike does a tiny amount of damage to me as well. There isn't really many openings for me to cast any of my Pyromancies or Sorceries either... and miss-timing it could result in a swift death.

My strategy will work in the end, I just need to have absolute concentration and not make a single mistake (Last night it was really late and I wasn't that focused); but I am just looking for other ways that maybe I am not thinking of... Maybe specific weapons to use, or specific buffs/spells, or some kind of terrain advantage?

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 13, 2011

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Vatek posted:

Take what you have learned and start a new character with it.

Nooo... nooooo :negative: I'm right at the end, I can't stop now!

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Valkrye posted:

Parry him! It is incredibly easy to tell when he is going to swing for his three hit combo, just parry the first hit and then attack him, with a decent weapon it shouldn't take more than 4-5 parries to kill him.

:aaaaa:

You can parry him? Why didn't I think of this. :smithicide: Thank you, I will try this tonight.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Unknown_PC posted:

Finally got platinum :toot:

Around 100 hours, 3 playthroughs for all the boss soul weapons.

Nice Congrats!

But just curious, do you have a list you followed somewhere of all the Rare Weapons you needed for the "Knight's Honor" Trophy? There is alot of conflicting reports of lists all over the internet; in addition apparently the official guide has an incorrect list as well. People have been reporting having all the weapons on the list and still not getting the trophy.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

From what I am aware, Strong Magic Shield makes you completely invincible for the entire duration of 20 seconds.

Even if you're not blocking.

This

... and I abused the hell out of it to beat the game :ninja:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, I wish I knew. That was by far the hardest boss for me to find help in fighting, in the end I had to do it myself.

I actually managed summoned someone on that boss-fight who did a bad fall down the spiral stairwell into the abyss, and killed themselves through fall damage on the way down. :doh:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

fuzzbox posted:

so i'm still a newbie (just hit Undead Parish) but is there a point to humanity? i haven't found a use for it yet. whenever i reverse hollowing, all that happens is i turn human and lose a humanity. then i die, and i lose it anyway and it seems like a waste.

1) Allows you to become Human, which allows you to Summon other Phantoms (read as: Players) into your game to help you take down a boss.

2) Allows you to become Human, which allows you to be invaded.

3) Can be spent in order to Kindle Bonfires, making them give you +5 more Estus Flask charges whenever you rest at them.

4) The amount you hold on you, also affects your drop rate of rare items from monsters.

5) Allows you to become Human, which allows you to be invaded by specific scripted NPC's which drop rare loot in certain locations.

6) Allows you to become Human, which will cause certain NPC's to appear and talk to you to sell your goods.

7) Gives a slight curse resistance (I believe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Hey Guys!
  • Do you enjoy getting a platinum trophy or all achievements for games?
  • Do you love having a neatly spread out checklist on your lap that helps you achieve and keep track of your progress?
  • Do you get aroused from filling in boxes in a spreadsheet with your pen and/or pencil?
If you answered yes to the above, then you'll just love the Dark Souls Trophy/Achievement Checklist

:frogsiren: CLICK ME TO UNVEIL ALL YOUR SPREADSHEET DREAMS :frogsiren:

I've laid it out in a neat 4-page .pdf spread for your convenience. Think of the environment; print it out double-sided for 2 pages of delicious checklist goodness. After printing it out, just fold it up and shove that sucker into your Game Box, snuggled up right beside the Instruction Manual, for future use... or do whatever the hell you want with it (...really)

These 4 pages include;
    [1] Knight's Honor Checklist (Acquire all rare equipment trophy)
    [2] Prayer of a Maiden Checklist (Acquire all Miracles trophy)
    [3] Wisdom of a Sage Checklist (Acquire all Sorceries trophy)
    [4] Bond of a Pyromancer Checklist (Acquire all Pyromancies trophy)
    [5] List of all Spell Vendors, their Location, and the Total Price of their spells
    [6] Blacksmith Ember Locations
    [7] Weapon Reinforcement Chart
    [8] Guaranteed Titanite Slab Locations (1 per play through)

General knowledge of the game is recommended for using this, since this is mainly intended to be used as a checklist for going for all the achievements, after having beaten the game at least once. The FuturePress guide is nice and all, but that book is huge and really doesn't go well on my lap. If the location of something isn't clear, I suggest looking for a clearer definition online.

If there's any problem with reading the GoogleDoc or Printing it or something let me know. I probably won't fix it. (just kidding ;) )

:swoon:

Enjoy!

• Locked thread