Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Are the controls for either game that elaborate?

Not in the slightest, honestly. It's pretty straightforward stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

God, I hope there's more spells to enchant your weapon with in this one. What was it in Demon's Souls? Light Weapon, or something? I don't know how mechanically effective that spell was, but there was nothing more fun that carving my way through a room of dudes with my Royal character after enchanting my longsword I'd pilfered.

Something about the animation of it, I think.

Also, the best thing about online Jedi Knight games was in Academy where hey had that mode to pit one super-charged character against two lesser ones. So much fun watching people bow when in that mode and just frying them with lightning or hurling them away with push.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

I think I'm totally going to play this, that quick look sold me on it. I never played the first game, whats a recommended starter class?

That was a Wanderer that Matt was playing second, but classes are more 'what do you want to start out as playing for the first few hours to familiarize yourself' than 'what do you want to be for the whole game'.

It really, really depends on what kind of character you want to make. Want a Bow? Go Hunter. Want a shield and weapon and heavy armour? Go Knight. Want magic? Go Sorcerer.

But you're never, ever locked into a path. It's criminally easy to change up what your character uses in these games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just wandered into the realm of the dragons and for some reason my first thought was "Oh, dragons! Maybe they'll be my friend!"

They were not.

Uh, did you fix your character's age slider into the range of 'moody pre-teen with a dark secret'? Clearly that's why.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Brother Scrotum posted:

I'm considering getting a console to play these games since they seem to be exactly what I want. I don't want to start a console war or whatever, but I am curious .. If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Demon's Souls is only available on PS3 and Dark Souls is supposedly virtually identical on either console, but perhaps slightly superior on PS3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Is there another slider for Gender during the character customization again?

In other words, can I have the manliest woman again?

Yes, there's a 'Hormones' slider.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Huh, something I've just noticed is that some of the mob enemies with swords and shields use the animations/attacks of the blue-eyed knights from Demon's Souls. I'd recognize those moves anywhere.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Edge Zero posted:

After seeing how horrendously unready for release in a month Battlefield 3 is from the beta, I decided to cancel that pre-order and pre-order this instead. I had only rented Demon's Souls so I'm looking forward to this.

I think I recall hearing in the older thread for this that the bows are reworked so you can aim them decently now. Is this correct and a ranger type character is feasible now?

It works the same basic way, just polished.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Monster Mash posted:

http://goo.gl/LBDvQ

Help me fill my soul (bar) with light

I can't believe you misquoted that line when the original even has 'dark soul' in it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nigulus Rex posted:

Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

It's as difficult as anything else. It really depends on what you feel comfortable playing, or what you think you'd feel comfortable playing. A Mage character in light armour/clothing can roll and run circles around opponents while pelting them with powerful spells, but a decent hit or two will kill them.

Whereas a Knight will be able to withstand more punishment from the outset, and blocking is naturally a lot easier to time than dodging and parrying, but if you're not good at fighting in close quarters and positioning yourself with your limited movement and speed you'll be just as dead when you get out-stepped and cut down.

The division between classes isn't that one is 'easier' than the other, it's that one is easier to play certain styles of combat with than the others.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Leyburn posted:

These ghost enemies are loving bullshit.

I was just watching a video where someone fought these; he killed one with his sword, slowly, carefully, then blasted off soul rays at another with his staff, then triumphantly meandered about as another floated through a wall behind him and casually gutted him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

Am I interpreting the OP right? There's no item burden = you can carry infinite stuff? That's strange that they'd make something a little easier on you.

No inventory weight, that's correct, only encumbrance from what you're wearing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Oh my god, just glanced at a stream and Dark Gwyn? I think, the one with the giant flaming sword is terrifying.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nechronic posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett currently getting owned by this boss. Dude is running Zweihander only, no projectiles.

Exactly the stream I was talking about.

Earlier I peeked at Slayer's stream on twitch.tv a couple of times, he's playing Uncharted 3 now, but earlier he was farming skeleton children while blaring the Ghostbusters theme and dodging the giant skeletons that crawl at you on all fours.

He also beat Dark Gwyn, Seath the Scaleless and Nito by ganging up on them with as many summons as he could.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

How does one "break" a covenant? does that just mean you switched covenants or are there certain rules you have to play by in the game?

It depends, different Covenants have different rules.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

evilalien posted:

The controls are not remappable.

Ugh, that sucks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yo, peeps, I'm going to be playing a Deprived on my first runthrough; with every stat an eleven, how many starting spell slots/miracle slots is that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

All spells/miracles/pyromancy spells share the same slots, which are governed by Attunement. You get 1 slot at 10, and a second slot at 12. So you'll be one point away from 2 slots.

Sounds good. Thanks.

NESguerilla posted:

Parry/heavy attack. yeah it's dumb.

I don't even get why they made it that way; I guess because the PS3 controls that way in Demons' Souls. It's just absurd. LB would be way better for parry and RB would be way better for heavy attack, not even going into the fact that it'd be way easier on the controller's most fragile buttons.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

Does heavy armor seem decently effective?

Yes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, does Dark Souls still have the same "souls are money AND experience points" thing going for it? That was always a tricky balancing act, for me.

Yes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Think I might ask for this for my birthday, that way it'll be a couple of weeks in and there will be a suitable amount of messages about the place to warn of incoming dangers.

There will also be a wealth of misleading messages at the same time, though. Double-edged sword, and all that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Someone be sure to post their impressions of how the 360 version controls, I'd prefer to play it on my Xbox, but if it controls better on the PS3, which I assume it will, then I'll be picking up that version instead.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Quelaag looks like a chump.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skunk Ape posted:

Is there some stat requirement for backstabs? I'm the Thief and attacking dudes from directly behind (which I remember being all it took in Demon's?) but it's not happening. Must be something simple I'm missing because it's not even in the instruction book or any of the wikis.

Step a bit to the right of their back when you try and backstab them. There's a sweet spot, but it's difficult to find.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If it's any consolation I'm getting this for 360 and I'm goddamn incredible.

I'm also a pretty rad dude and I'm planning on picking up the 360 version.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

As someone who is entirely new to the experience (I only played Demon Souls a little), would Pyromancer be a good start? :smith:

It honestly, one hundred percent depends on what you want to play.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, Pyromancer's start at soul level one, giving you more soul points to spend on your character, but that's about as far as mechanical benefits go.

Fire spells will give you a nice source of damage at the off-set of the game, I suppose.

But really, it all comes down to what you want to start out playing as.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

A two handed sword welding knight of death, but I suspect doing so would be suicide!

Not necessarily, in Dark Souls they've given heavily armoured, two-handed playstyles significant boosts and buffs so that they're not as, well, insignificant as they were in Demons' Souls. I think if that's what you'd prefer to play you should probably start out as that.

You can always branch out as you develop your character. It's really, really easy to switch out what you're doing for other playstyles if you want to.

I can guarantee you'll die more as a result of playing a playstyle you don't feel comfortable with initially than from choosing one that's 'mechanically inferior' in these games. The trick to surviving isn't in choosing the best class off the bat, it's in choosing the best class for you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Brinstar Brew posted:

I liked the temple knight from Demon's Souls, so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a knight or a cleric in Dark Souls

Go knight, then get that miracle that lets you hurl lightning bolts at things.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Well, when i'm playing RPGs I either like to roll a 2-handed tank or a high dexterity duel-weilder. Not sure if Dark Souls has dual-weild. Basically I like to get in as much damage as possible before the enemy can respond. My primary choice would be dual, with secondary a 2-hand.

You can dual-wield, it's not perfect, but it does work.

Primarily though it's a means to have a melee weapona and a casting function (pyromancer hand, talisman, catalyst, staff) at the same time, but you can dual wield melee weapons if that's your choice.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

So I played Demon's Souls and beat it as a thief guy with no miracles or spells or a shield first time (I didn't realise that was some sort of special challenge thing, i just like themed characters). Is the same sort of thing viable in this one or should I try out something different?

There's also something my friend told me about, where apparently you can make agreements with some powerful dudes, and he said he saw someone break one of the agreements on a stream and the dude got cursed with an egg thing with like a worm inside that would attack dudes around him. Could I break a whole lot of agreements and become mighty worm man or some sort of hideous monster?

There are some significantly monster-ish transformations you can go through by strengthening your bond with some covenants.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

blablablabla posted:

Can anyone tell me how to rebind the keys on the xbox? Having the near useless parry thing as LT and hold shield as LB is extremely annoying.

You can't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't understand how to kick and jump attack... LS + attack buttons is what the game says.

If I push the stick in any direction and attack, I just attack. I've also tried clicking the stick in. Sometimes my dude will seemingly randomly kick or do a jump attack, but I have no idea what the proper way to do it is.

Forward and light attack at the same time for a kick, forward and heavy attack at the same time for a jumping attack.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aug posted:

I beat the first boss The Giant guy on the ramparts by standing under his crotch and stabbing him repeatedly (IN THE CROTCH) with a spear . It felt cheap, but my question is can i climb on top of one of the towers and plink away at him with arrows/bolts?.

Absolutely!

He will jump up on top of the tower and make a fool of you if you try this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MZ posted:

so I may get this game in a couple of months, does the online community stay strong long after release or am I better off getting it now?

Allow me to skin an elk and roll it's bones in the blood of a still-warm boar before I divine this for you, oh Lord.

(360, there's no way to tell, PS3 will remain strong.)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

On the one hand; From Software is absolutely amazing at doing the whole minamilst storytelling/opressive, overwhelming atmosphere thing.

On the other hand, every time I see one of their intro movies I wish they'd make a story heavy Souls game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Started as Deprived, had clubbed and beaten my way through half of Undeadburg without dieing once so far. My fingers are like, clawing and scratching at the gamepad everytime I come close to death.

God, I missed this feeling.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hahah, the Taurus Demon dies in like three hits and a falling attack to the base Deprived club.

Once you slather a little pine resin on, of course.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Whelp, dragon-time! Probably going to be my first death.

EDIT: Uhhh, okay, sprinted flat out at it and it just sat there and stared. Huh.

EDIT the second: Then experienced my first death by getting trapped between two undead. Hahaha.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

So is the Limited Edition the only edition available right now? Is it one of those Battlefield: Bad Company 2 style deals? Because I just walked in and picked one up today in Australia, but it seemed like those were the only editions they had. (Last one, too, all the others had already been preordered and picked up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ahhhh, just died to a framerate hitch, that stings.

• Locked thread