Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I was summoned by some guy in Anor Londo who after 5 mn of him running around and me following, disappeared. When he reappeared he wasn't wearing any armor.

What I'm trying to say is he was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

oneliquidninja posted:

Surprisingly, I had a fair amount of success invading Anor Lando last night at level 70. Not just NG+ characters either. I even got summoned once.

One of those could have been me! I did some summoning and got summoned quite a bit last night.

If you're kobe1kenobi you're a total dreamboat :allears:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

So... not only does dying to the gargoyle boss put me back at the Firelink Shrine despite the fact that the only reason I went back there is to level my Flasks up - I didn't go near the bonfire - but you can roll off the roof when fighting the gargoyles, who can of course hit you when you're down. Y'know, when there's absolutely nothing you can loving do to avoid taking damage.

Bull loving poo poo.

E: Yeah, gently caress the programmer who decided enemies can stunlock you. gently caress them in the god drat eyes. Making my way back up, try to run past the lovely 'make you burn all your loving flasks' room with the magic guy and the billion zombies, get stunlocked as they all converge on me and hit me.

E: Oh hey great, and now I can't loving summon that guy to help in combat since my humanity's back at loving 0. Awesome. And since I used my last pine resin, I have absolutely no loving chance of winning at all now! Woooooo!

E: vvv No idea what soapstone is. I'm not playing connected. No subscription to Live since I don't play online games. For a reason. I already hate trying to progress in this loving game. The last thing I want is some hooting dickhole in high level gear to come and rape my ear when I'm trying to get from Point A to Point B. It doesn't matter. I guess I'm done with this game since I can't even get a single clean hit off on the gargoyle. And I know a second one of the fuckers drops eventually, because I'd almost beaten the fight when I rolled off the god drat roof.

Can't roll under his attacks (nowhere near enough stamina or timing sense), can't loving block them, and he can chain together three in a row at the very least, which basically means that if he hits me once I may as well set the loving controller down because that takes me from full health to dead and there's nothing I can do about it.

I tried.

E: vvv Well, I'm certainly going to make an attempt to beat it for a little while. I realized trying to stay away from him is basically the worst idea. Stay up close and he seems to only try to thrust at you (giggity) but then he jumped in the air and knocks half my health off. And then his buddy comes. I can't fight one of them. How the gently caress are you supposed to be able to fight two? One of them hits me for about 55% of my health. I literally have to loving health after every single hit I take. I've made it so that the Firelink and blacksmith bonfires give me 10 flasks but that is nowhere near enough. I don't get it.

Okay, what level should I be around to fight them, then? Because if it ain't around 15, then it ain't happening. Nothing is worse in any RPG than having to sit, not advancing, and going off to grind 10 loving levels. See also: why I don't play Dragon Quest.

Here's what you need to do whenever you get incredibly frustrated with something that keeps on killing you.

Just say "Dark Souls", smile, and keep on trucking.

That's what I do and it helps! Lose 50k souls because of some bullshit mistake you made or some outrageous monster that pops up out of nowhere?

Dark Souls

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You just guard with it, like with a shield.

It took me until the end of the tomb of the giants to realize this (when a friend pointed it out to me) :doh:

Suddenly the Tomb of the Giants was in easy mode.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Just beat the game

The guy I summoned and myself did the joy dance at the same time as soon as I summoned my ultimate sunbro, Solaire. It was super :3:

NG+ here we go!

e: The Asylum demon took 4 hits. NG+ may not be as difficult early on as I anticipated. :v:

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 30, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Let yourself get hit by a Hollow Soldier in Undead Burg and let me know the full details of your impending dread.

I can still two-shot the (non-balder) knights, and one-shot everything else. As long as I don't get hit I'll be fine. :colbert:

I just killed the gargoyles and I haven't killed the demon on the bridge yet :v:

Time to start sunbroing it up if people actually summon me.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 30, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Where's a good place to farm souls that's right next to a bonfire? I'm looking to grind up some souls so I'm a little overleveled for the next areas I go into, and the Capra Demon seems like a pain in the rear end right now.

When you get to Anor Londo, that's a fantastic place for farming. Unfortunately you still have a ways to go for that.

Seconding the get summoned idea.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

SnipeShow posted:

Just lost my playthrough worth of humanity to a chest in Sen's Fortress (and then getting glitched/stuck on the bridge when I went back to get it). For all the retarded messages people love to leave on the ground that floor sure was clean.

Also, what does humanity do?

You can use it to kindle bonfires, reverse your hallowing, increase certain covenants, make chaos weapons stronger, and increases your item discovery rate. Bummer on losing any amount.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

After getting stuck on the drakes in the valley, I returned with a few hundred arrows and pelted them to death, only to find the giant door wouldn't open. I then found the passage back to darkroot basin which I hadn't seen, and found the ladder behind where the hydra was. I've now explored everything I can think of and killed every boss. What zone should I be heading to? I dont need specifics on where to go, just a hint.

Have you rung the second bell?

If you've done that go find the onionbro.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Also, make sure to cut his tail off. You get a super :black101: axe (that I'm still using in NG+, albeit at +5) and it eliminates his most annoying attack.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Got beaten, not beat haha

I can drop down a summon sign near the bonfire because I'm on my way back from blighttown, but I don't think you will be able to summon me. Worth a shot. Look for CasualResonance.

e: I'll drop my sign near Solaire's.

Jesse James posted:

Are you boys XBOX or PS3? I wouldn't mind some jolly cooperation right about now.
360. I'm down for being a sunbro/having a sunbro if I'm not too high of a level.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 2, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

I'm waiting outside of gaping if anyone' wants to bro up, waiting for someone to come by, bosses with co op are just much more fun.

I'm here, but I don't think you'll be able to summon me. I dropped my sign at the top of the stairs by Solaire's sign. Worth a shot!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

FrankFumiaki posted:

O yeah? I was sporting an avelyn for fun towards the end there. Were you the phantom that was decoying? The darkmoon that invaded 3 times was a mage named "something radio." Good times. Actually, I was invaded by a darkmoon when I was going through the level, I have never invaded anyone via any method, how can this happen?

If you kill Gwynevere darkmoon peeps can invade you at any time, and I don't think the game alerts you to the fact that they have invaded. This goes away in NG+...unless you kill her again.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

FrankFumiaki posted:

I'm in NG+ right now and I haven't messed with any of the NPCs.

No clue then. :iiam:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Olesh posted:

I've been invaded by blue phantoms after having paid for forgiveness and never having killed or attacked Gwynevere, so I can testify that it just happens.

This is good to know. I killed her last time when I was close to the end of the game and was constantly paranoid until I hit the end.

I just did the Iron Golem fight in NG+ and why didn't I realize that I could just knock him off of the tower the first time :doh:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

SnipeShow posted:

Just ran into Smoughr and the dragonslayer. Any tips for these guys? I'm using the lightning spear and the eagle shield, neither are upgraded because I really haven't needed to until now. I've never unhollowed but I'm thinking I might have to for this. I got Smoughr down pretty easily but the other guy is a bitch.

Summon people, be very defensive, and start out by concentrating on whoever you want to take out (I suggest Ornstein for the first playthrough). Once one of them goes down the other will have their health restored to max.

When the first person goes down the second becomes super diesel, so be prepped and ready to dodge away from devastating attacks. Super fun fight.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

artism posted:

At SL100 in NG+ will I have any luck dropping white soapstone down in Anor Londo? I have yet to do any co-op whatsoever (including with NPCs) or even invasions so sorry if this has been asked already or is really obvious.

edit; Also it's incredible how fast NG+ goes. It took me forever to get to Anor Londo first play through (I'm guessing maybe 30 hours) compared to 6 or so this play through.

Probably. I was summoned twice in the Painted World (first time with another sunbro, who in turn summoned me immediately after beating Priscilla) pretty quickly. I'm SL115.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Carl Seitan posted:

Go to Sen's instead. You'll be happier if you go Sen's then Anor Londo before The Catacombs -> Tomb of the Giants.

Can't stress this enough. Feel free to go to the catacombs first in NG+ because you'll know the layout and when to stop before it will take forever to get out.

That, plus Anor Londo is just loving awesome in all respects. Tons of great enemies to practice parrying/farm for souls, you meet the giant blacksmith, another firekeeper, 2 covenants, etc.

I really don't think that needed to be spoilered but :geno:

If there are any high level (SL100+) people who want to make a run with me on the painted world I'm down for some sunbros.

Also, Brace, if you want to use the most :black101: weapon in the game boost your strength up and use the Dragon King's Greataxe two-handed. Since I made the switch to that the game just got so much more fun. Plus, when you upgrade it (which isn't very hard to do), it gets scary powerful.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Welp, stupid titanite demon took care of me. Gonna try going in human and hope theres someone willing to die with me in this place.

Don't go down to the bottom of Sen's. It's sticky as gently caress and there's a ring that you can get later that takes care of moving around in gunk like that.

If you kill onionbro you're not getting any more advice from me :mad:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Onionbro is best bro. Sorry, Solaire.

Woah now, let's not say things we can't take back.

Brace posted:

Sen's is loving difficult. Going to try to help people out by dropping a sign so I can get a feel for it because every turn is another death in this place

Sen's isn't that bad, as long as you remember a few key things.

1. Keep going up
2. Be wary of traps. Always.
3. The pendulums aren't that bad, just make sure to get the rhythms down.
4. Be wary of traps

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Is sunbro a covenant or what? Also I managed to time those two really hard swinging blades perfectly both times, but I would've never found the bonfire without a video.

Yeah, that bonfire loving blows. I totally missed it, died on the boss the first time because I missed the dude who hurls flaming boulders at you and had to go all the way through Sen's again.

Dark Souls.

artism posted:

I am SL100 but not a Sunbro (not even an option for me) but I can do the white soapstone thing?

That should be fine. I can't now, but I'll make a post when I'm on later. I love being a sunbro so much. :cool:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

SamBishop posted:

I guess I need to finish up all that lava poo poo now that I can two-shot those Minotaur Demons (thanks, game, for just throwing a bunch of former bosses at me like common enemies) with my bigger fireballs. I need to farm some humanity and get me a fancy rear end spell before leaving the Chaos Covenant first so I can sunbro it up with the rest of you guys. I too shall praise the sun soon. I hope.

Oh god I'm so scared.

This is a common theme throughout the rest of the game. I think it's great, because you can just :black101: out on guys who used to terrify you.

Carl Seitan posted:

Real Dark Souls starts here.

My thoughts exactly. IS THIS ORANGE MARKER POST HONEST OR A LIE TO TRICK ME TO MY DEATH?

artism posted:

Okay I am on now and will probably be for awhile. Will probably go kill O&S etc. while I wait.

I'll be hopping on in about 5 mn. If you haven't done O&S yet I can drop my sign for that, otherwise I'll head over to the painted world.

e: Look for Casual Resonance

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 3, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

JP Money posted:

I remember trying to make it down the catacombs without a divine weapon or anything really worthwhile to combat them. At one point I had about 10 skeletons trying to annihilate me at once by raping me in a corner.

I'm just trying to let others re-live that experience.

I concur. I didn't use a divine weapon either, I just ran until I found a necromancer, killed them, then tanked the skeleton horde that was running after me.

e

artism posted:

On as riskanalysis. I will drop my sign since I am not a sunbro if it's all the same to you

Ok. Are you at the bonfire inside the castle?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

So, to roll I press B right?

Seriously though, how much does humanity influence drop rate? I have the drop rate ring(Gold Serpent Ring?), and I think I'm going to farm some humanity and titanite down in the Depths.

Would it be worth it to try to get at 10 humanity before farming Titanite? Also is there any possible way to turn regular shards into Large Shards? I only have like 2 or 3, but I have a bunch of Chunks somehow.

Big time/yes, and no.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

artism posted:

This might take a minute so if you dont wanna co-op i understand.

I'm just farming souls here, nbd.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

oneliquidninja posted:

The drop rate is pretty bad. The leeches in blight town have a much better drop rate but the slimes are right by a bonfire. I farmed the slimes a lot waiting for gaping dragon summons but I can't see farming them if I wasn't doing that.

You can buy large shards in Anor Lando and Sen's Fortress. Depending on how far you are your best bet might be to just do a bunch of co-op and buy the shards you need.

Another option is heading down to New Londo and killing darkwraiths. They drop them like crazy.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

artism posted:

None of those doors are opened for me yet heh. I dropped it on the stairs right outside bonfire. Sorry man I am sucking it up tonight I swear I am not usually this retarded haha

No worries I was dumb and died where I shouldn't have too. We got them in the end :cool:

Do you want to summon me? If not I'm heading down to the catacombs.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Definitely not looking forward to going into New Londo/Catacombs what with all the curse/divine weapon bullshit you have to deal with.

Dealing with curse is easy, just a transient curse and all of your weapons will be fine.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

WalletBeef posted:

Protip : Getting close to someone who is 2-handing a +5 lightening zwei hander is an incredibly bad idea! Double stupid if you have no shield.

I just love it when someone tries to walk around me and do that circle-strafe back stab bullshit and just gets a whole ton of zwei to the face. The horizontal arc is just so huge (180 degrees) and the weapon is so long, that its very hard to dodge up close. drat, what a satisfying weapon.

Yeah, when somebody tries that on me in pvp they get one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbnWdR57x8

VVV It's in the video description. C'mon VVV

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 3, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Brace posted:

Nevermind, video descrip told me. Those are some cool weapons, but they seem to be a little bit... unwieldy.

The first two own really loving hard and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Once you get the timings down on the charge with the Dragon King Greataxe you will flatten or stun EVERYBODY. Can you tell if I'm biased :v:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Jesse James posted:

That was the first time I have seen the DKGA in action and I am half tempted to put my low level run on hold just to go and make a build for this weapon. What are the Req on that thing?

50 STR for 1 handed, but why would you do that?

I think it's 35 or 40 STR for 2 handed. Get that baby up to +5 and :getin:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Zizzyx posted:

iirc it's 34 to 2hand. The R2 looks cool and is good for aoe farming I guess but the only people you'll get with it in PvP are bads, and if they're in position to get slammed by that monstrously slow attack you probably could have killed them already with a more traditional choice (claymore, great scythe, zwei, etc).

Maybe, but it's also monstrously powerful. It's super fun in PvE, and knocks/stuns people in PvP. I haven't done much PvP so I'm sure it's not that great if that's what you're aiming for, but in PvE it's super loving fun to :black101: everything.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Don't listen to this dude. Automatically assuming you're going to lose in an invasion is just stupid. Yes, there's a lot of guys out there who do almost nothing but PvP and are geared towards it, but there's also a bunch of losers who 'want' to be big badasses, but who get their asses handed to them when they meet another player. That player could be you.

Remember all those cheap ways the game uses to kill you? Use them against your invader. Run to an isolated spot that gives you a tactical advantage. Run up a buttress in Anor Lando and hold the line with arrow. Cast chameleon (just an AWESOME spell for counter-griefing) and bide your time for the right moment. Summon other phantoms to help you along, nothing is as funny as seeing an invader sprint head-long into a group of dudes waiting to trounce him.
If you run around unhollowed, you run the risk of invasion. That's part of the fun. Assuming the other guy is going to win before you even start just sets you up for disaster. At worst, you die, which this game should have taught you how to accept by now. At best you teach some punk a lesson and steal his souls and humanity.

I think that's a pretty fair risk to take.

I agree. Half the time I get invaded I one/two-shot the guy because he is stupid and thinks running up to a guy with a giant axe is a smart idea. Or you'll run into the pyromancer who uses firestorm. Dodge back, charge up and kill them. Boom.

However, if the other person wrecks your world (this will happen from time to time) no worries, you can get your stuff back! Unless you die on your way back to it.

Dark Souls.

Category Fun! posted:

Killed the Heavy Knight in painted world so I lay back and kept walking forward without looking at the TV.

Walked right off the gap in the bridge :shepicide:

This is how I discovered one of the dropoff spots in the catacombs my first time through :v:

Brace posted:

Yeah, I wasn't even mad about it, just kind of like drat that was bad.

Also, on armor, Paladin Armor seems pretty drat good, but it's pretty late in the game as well? Are there any sets similar to it in Anor/Sen's area?

You can find Havel's set in Anor Londo. I prefer mixing it with other sets, but either way it's super good if you want to wear heavy armor.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

HAHA next go round with the dragon and I'm back at the GD bonfire again. First time with the dragon, he came swooping down and pasted me plus all the skeleton archers ahead of me. This time, I take off sprinting as fast as I can expecting him to fire the bridge again, and instead he sat there ignoring me as I was peppered and killed by the still-alive skeleton archers :bang:

Don't worry about it. Like other people said, this early stage is a perfect training ground for later on in the game. You die a lot but that's ok.

artism posted:

I still think you're insane for not using the Darkwood Grain Ring. I can hardly fathom not using it and trying to 2hand against bosses like Sif and O&S.

On an unrelated note after co-oping with you I still cannot believe the number of times we died to falling off stupid poo poo. I think the excitement of playing with other players in this game causes mild autism in me personally; the kind that makes me think flipping up a really narrow, winding staircase packed with harpies is not only a good idea but really fuckin cool.

Sif was actually been super easy both times without the Darkwood Grain Ring. Dodge in close, hit him once or twice, run, rince, repeat. It's just really, really fun to do 400-600 damage a hit. I'll probably switch the build up a bit later on, but for now :black101: it is.
My other characters (sorcerer and a dex build) don't get to be so badass.

It really was unreal. The last time I fell off and died before sunbroing with you was in the Tomb of the Giants the first time through. I think each of us died at least 2-3 times from falling.

Dark Souls.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 4, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

When I realized a few hours in that the basic trash skeletons that ruined me at the start of the game weren't scaring me anymore, it was a pretty sweet feeling. Not sure I can think of another game where getting better was so easily visible.

That dragon can still gently caress right off though, I'll be back for his rear end someday. Or what's left of it after I blew the tail to tiny pieces. I decided not to even use the sword since it was one-shotting everything and I need the combat practice. I just wanted to shoot the sumbitch's tail off :smug:

It's really, really satisfying to come back later on in the game and kill the poo poo out of the dragon.

Technically it's a wyvern but same diff

artism posted:

Anyways, let me know the next time you (or anyone) wants to reroll and co-op a bit with me. (I can now Co-op without shame since I've beaten everything on NG and NG+ besides Priscilla (easiest boss in game? Impossible to die to her?) solo.

Will do, once I finish NG+ and get platinum with this character I'll probably start rolling with one of the other two.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

whaley posted:

Anyone else lose 890,000 souls today in one death :iamafag:

Dark Souls

...and I thought losing 230k was bad :stare:

You get overconfident and Dark Souls will put you in your loving place. Owns.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

ryde posted:

Edit: Also in case you didn't know, those skellies are revived by necromancers. As you progress through the level, you find and kill the necromancers, at which point you can just kill the skellies normally. The third option is to just make a beeline for the necromancers. That didn't tend to work out all that well for me.

The third option is what I did both times, even when I had a divine weapon. Having skeleton hordes chasing after you adds a nice amount of tension to finding the necromancers.

e:

ryde posted:

That was the only summon I got all day yesterday, but I'm also SL98 now. I'm wondering if there are just fewer people at my level willing to party, because it seems particularly difficult getting summons.

I'm SL130, and I usually get summoned by the same 4-5 people.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of Ash Lake, I was just heading down there and had one of my coolest non-boss moments. I was going down the great hollow, and misjudged my jump down to one of the branches. I figured 'ok, might as well do a diving attack to my death"

I land on a frog dude, kill him and somehow (barely) live. It was loving awesome.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

casual poster posted:

Hmm, good enough. I haven't much tried multiplayer yet (besides getting some help for bosses), maybe I should try it some.

The multiplayer aspect is one of my favorite things about this game. The ability to be invaded/invading/subroing it up/summoning people is fantastic.

Then of course there's the orange soapstone which is another nice touch. The interactiveness is just so good.

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

This answer is seriously the reason I love this game so much all I do is play it or go to work and post about it. loving best game of all time. Now I have to start a new character just to see if I can sucker his rear end into falling off the goddamn bridge. NG+!

Keep this idea in mind for later in the game, as it makes a certain boss INCREDIBLY easy and I didn't realize it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Ball Stink posted:

HCSM is still really good even for PVE. The only gay thing about NG+ are, as usual, the kings.

Which is funny, because on both of my playthroughts the 4 kings were the easiest boss fight (outside of pinwheel who I 2-shot in NG). Get in close, two hand your weapon, tank damage with Havel's helm/+5 black iron armor/+5 black iron gauntlets/Havel's leggings, have a day of it.

If you get up close and person the hilt of their swords will be hitting you so you barely take any damage.

As far a poise goes, the guide earlier is nice, but I alo think it totally depends on your build and what you're going for. One of my characters is built around dealing as much damage as possible with heavy equipment, so he needs super high poise. My thief and pyromancer, however, do not need high poise as they just dodge around the battlefield.

• Locked thread