Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Just started this after getting used to and enjoying Demon's Souls pretty thoroughly (up to Flame Lurker). This game is in it's own league, the Skeletons at the very start of the game are loving DESTROYING me, I think I should reroll as a knight or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I'm pretty awful at comparing stats, what benefits does upgrading your shield have? Obviously weapons do more damage and break less, but does your shield use less stamina per block or something? Does it affect the guard break stat or whatever its called?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

She just looks like an ordinary hollow but refers to herself as a lady in conversation. If you go down some stairs right next to the entrance to the Capra Demon fight it will lead to a spiral staircase going up, and a long sewer walkway which takes you back to the initial exit from firelink shrine when you start a new character.

^that

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

When I re-bought it on PS3 the chick at Gamestop gave me the CE. It comes with a really awesome tin case (I don't like special cases, but I love this case), and artbook, and a code to enter online to get a fancy map of the game world (not very useful, but it's cool), the OST, and a mini-strat guide that I never bothered to open. The artbook is loving awesome but mine fell apart pretty much after flipping through it twice.

Wanted to second that the CE is pretty nicely presented but the art book pages were just sort of thrown in with a bit of glue or something. It was a hardcover book but the pages basically tore out as I turned them.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I'm at the bonfire just before Darkroot Garden/Darkroot Basin (the room with the very large guy crawling around slowly), what is the next area in terms of progression? Garden has a door which I assume you buy the key from the nearby smith from, and Basin has a huge hydra and guy in black armour who I can't quite kill. I'm wearing a full Black Armour set at this point and use a +2 battle axe/gargoyle halbred with a cacedus (cadecus? however you spell it) kite shield. I feel that running around with 0 poise is probably not doing me any favours, but this is pretty early on in the game right?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I didn't mention I ran into a couple of very large knights, we circled around a bit and then they just started stunning me at range with some spell so going that way seemed a bit pointless (unless I can run past that fight). I didn't notice any unusual walls/doors yet so thanks for the heads up.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I've been using the gargoyle halberd most of the game now - I'm up to Queelag, and besides Capra Demon this is the only boss that has been giving me trouble so far, I got the eagle shield after going through blight town, but I don't really enjoy using things that slow my character down (more str fixes this right?) so I'm using the glass crest shield which ups stamina recharge.

I'm going for a dex character I guess just to try it for my first time, so I suppose my question would be at this point is there anything I should be going for? I'm still also wearing the black thief armour from and the start of the game :shobon:.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Queelag has been the easiest boss fight so far. I was kind of surprised by this, it was a really simple kiting game, I could even get hits in between her swipes. Now I'm in Sen's though and got crushed by a boulder and the snake men are so strong what the fuuuuck :(

I feel as though I should start again, I did my stat points kind of weird I think.. I put some points into the one that gives poison resistance, probably a few too many. I also upgraded lots of weapons as I got them so I have used up a lot of shards. I suppose the only early game obstacle so far was the gargoyles, and they were killed with the help of a phantom.

Speaking of phantoms, I haven't seen Solaire since that first fight, do you never see him again if he dies or some other condition occurs? I don't remember if anything bad happened to him.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Is poison/toxic mist bugged? Apparently it is good for poisoning groups of enemies, but I have yet to see it actually 'do' anything besides make a big cloud in people's faces while they hit me. Toxic mist is kind of good for making a fancy ninja escape in a small space however.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I love the way people use the orange soap stone to make up their own messages. I walked past Queelags the other day and saw one that said 'Amazing chest ahead'. That had me giggling for ages.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Exploded posted:

I'm sure this has been covered before but does anyone have tips on dealing with the wheel skeletons in catacombs? I hate a lot of enemies in this game but the wheel skeletons are the only ones i haven't mastered.

If you can lure them toward you one at a time, get them to roll toward a corner or a wall and chase them, try to get them as they are stopping and turning and kill them before they get moving again. If they get away from you, wait for them to come back or you risk pulling others. I think in the area before pinwheel there is a little ledge where you can pull about four who will endlessly wheel towards you, if you stand just over them you can kill them all in one fireball.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Nahxela posted:

Here's a good animation about a person's Dark Souls experience:
http://youtu.be/4UdcKGWmZMs

Fyuz posted:

This video is hilarious. Ah, the memories of not knowing what the christ was going on at the beginning of the game.

Saw these a couple of pages ago, maybe put them in the OP?

I just got up to Dukes Archives and got summoned to help with an invader - I dont think I'll ever really get the PVP in this game, I'm running around in full silver knights armour getting one shotted by a guy who appears to be in a cloth sack two handing some spear. I got Quelaags fury sword recently, which was a nice upgrade I guess, but I kind of miss my shotel :(

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

So I started the game again for a third time, the first two attempts didnt seem to go very well, and went just as badly as if I was playing for the first time. This time I went pyro, took black firebomb as my gift and used some to kill the asylum demon - I took thread advice and have tried to stay human whenever possible, so far I have gotten all my gear improved from drops, and the first Black Knight in undead burg dropped a black knight great sword.

Ive also tried sorceries for the first time, I totally forgot about the merchant in the New Londo ruins who sells soul arrow until this playthrough, so I got up to the Bell Gargoyles in about 20 minutes by combining it with fireball which I started the game with, and in a pinch I still have black firebombs left over! I am :darksouls:'ing the gently caress out of this game this time around.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I only just understood the item stats, I was taking in all the information at once so I would just choose the one with the higher numbers :downs:, but it just occurred to me that there are attack stats and defense stats; like you can equip shields for attacking or for defending - with this in mind the knight shield has worse defensive stats than the hollow soldier shield, which is odd considering the baldur knights are meant to be more difficult enemies?

Are there any shields that actually make good weapons?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

ShimSham posted:

It really does fit perfectly in the game.

Being a fan of plastic figures and other smaller representations of things I like, I wish they had Dark Souls figures made by someone like NECA or other figure makers.

I would love a room in my house full of unused piled up armour sets in various poses like in Sen's. People would walk in and just be like :stare:

Speaking of sen's me and a party of 3 got invaded the other day, the invader in question was trying to do laps around us by dropping down from above us and getting a bs, then running and doing it again. This was at the very top bridge which is incredibly thin before the boss area - He had to give it up after being talismaned (couldnt keep running away to heal) so tried to lure us onto the bridge. He wasn't counting on being staggered by a heavy soul arrow though, and fell all the way to the bottom :byewhore:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Just summoned a couple of guys at the first fire in catacombs for a leisurely run through, got invaded and decided to wait for their phantoms to appear. As soon as they appear the invader charges in and stunlocks us all to death with WotG spam - no way to escape due to the size of the room.

I did bait a few invaders to fall to their deaths in there by using fall control however, so I guess it could be considered righteous payback.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Murodese posted:

Could also be a Drake Mother, considering there are a bunch of drakes around and no mummy drake :smith:
So that big maw isn't a mouth? So that means that stuff that comes out is...:cry:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

'I cant take this' usually gets used in the same context as 'amazing chest ahead' i.e not in any serious way. I saw someone place it under a fake chest monster once - its good to get a nasty surprise then come back and read the message and realise 'oh, i see now'. I like it when you can tell people are having a bad day, say when Capra Demon is surrounded by messages like 'Weakness: Luck'

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 9, 2012

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Yes i remember following that advice, the first time he didnt follow me and just took his bow back out, the second time I turned around and got shot in the face by the other archer while the former cut me up, the third time I had an invader waiting for me, the fourth time I had someone help me and when they black crystaled out before the bonfire I couldnt light it for some reason (I did not make it to the main door). Frustration etc etc.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

quote:

I hope everyone who didn't get the chance to play Dark Souls on consoles gets past the whole GFWL thing and plays it anyways. I hate GFWL as much as the next guy, but really, please suck it up and play the game. Dark Souls is one of the best games I have ever played, easily in my top 5. It was a perfect reminder of why I play video games to begin with.

That was my first though too, I tell lots of people about DS but none of them have PS3's. They also don't see the point of a game with coop that doesn't let you play with your friends. Sometimes I don't either, really, but at least you can play with someone...

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

On a new run of the game today I decided to kill Lautrec as soon as I released him, I had a sunbro with me, but it turned out he couldn't hit him? This was pretty bad because Lautrec was kicking my rear end, but for some reason my buddy could block his way, so we trapped him in a narrow tunnel and I was fighting him through my sunbro's body. I actually got parried once, but the gap created by between me and Lautrec was enough to prevent the counter from landing - saved me a humanity!

We then went on to kill the gargoyles, but for some reason a lot of people tend not to always chop off both tails even if they are a low level crazy twink, which is unfortunate because my first character used the gargoyle halberd up until I got the lightning spear.

I also just got the basement key, but I can never remember what it's for even though this is like the 6th new game I've done. I can also never remember where to go after the gargoyles. You go back to the dragon bridge or something right?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

waspinator posted:

From my Legend of Zelda gimmick run:

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r/b/301288483

I never really noticed (on a count of making GBS threads myself) that the mimic puts its arms out like 'SURPRISE HUG!'

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I would never have bought Demon's Souls if it wasn't for the badass knight on the front cover, and knowing that you can actually look like that in the game.

After fighting a black knight and getting launched around the place by its two handed swings, then getting my own bk weapons and doing the same to other people, I could never put this game down. I've never felt like such a king since that bug in Jedi Knight which let you choke people into the floor and kick them to death.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Yay Pudding! posted:

I've played with a handful of classes. I'm liking warrior the most so far, and it's the class I've gotten furthest with. Best balance of speed and strength for my play style. I replayed undead burg so many loving times I can do it in my sleep right now. Without looking my level is 16 or 17, and I can one hit most of the dudes in undead burg with the longsword. I got to the point where I have the shortcut from undead burg to the dragon bridge place, but I haven't gotten much further than that. It looks like one way is a black knight that will wreck my poo poo, or a weird rear end rhino thing that I ran from when it charged so I could die in a place where I would get my souls back. I've spent 2/3's of my souls on STR, while alternating between VIT and END.

For you - When you get to the boar, go right up a set of stairs, kill the crossbowmen on the bridge and use the 'alluring skull' item which 'attracts certain enemies' by throwing it at the flaming pyres around the place. When I did this the boar literally just walked into the fire and killed itself by standing in it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Dead Souls: A Roguelike by From Software

I would never stop playing that game. Ever.

I would buy this immediately if there was a way to have open world pvp that was evenly matched. I like that feeling of seeing a guy and you both stop and think 'oh poo poo, can I do this?' Maybe having items that increased the frequency of human opponents and the distance from your level (based on other factors like what level/area zone you were in etc).

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the running into people exploring thing is the most interesting thing in a way, because I'd like a world where there's more than one destination. To you it looks like another group is going backwards, but to them it's the destination. Just makes the world feel more alive to me.

Yeah, they do go on about Dks/Des being these impossible and hard games all the time, but once you get into them there's the whole aspect of JOLLY COOPERATION which you don't hear about before hand, and people are always hanging out for help.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Was invading in the depths between doing gaping dragons runs, and had lots of people disconnect from me. Its kind ofstrange because I invade for experience and just to pass time, I'm not any good or anything, but it just sucks so hard that an enemy who disconnects from you costs a red orb. I dont like leaving a red sign because I know it will invite the worst kinds of enemies.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Finally got to the sunlight altar after dicking around with the hellkite dragon and loving love the lightning spear miracle! That thing has saved my rear end so many times so far, and I seem to get summoned more with a gold summon sign than white - also, PRAISE THE SUN! However I kind of wish I beat Quelaag and got chaos fireball first :(

Right now I'm just doing boss runs for souls so I can buy sorceries/pyromancies/miracles before moving on to Sens, is there anything I can grab out of Darkroot Basin or from behind the sealed door? I know the divine ember is there, but my character doesn't really have a strong build focus right now, the highest stats are actually faith and attunement, and everything else is below 16.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

So I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of the forest, then I meet my first Rollcat O_O

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I know i'll be buying this again for PC, so then I can play with my friends who dont have consoles/use them online. I showed a friend this the other day on my PS3 and they said it looked AWFUL, I told them it was coming out on PC and they were like 'Oh...That's ok then!'

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Dammit why cant I upgrade my claws past +5. They dont even show up in the upgradeable lists anymore at the giant bs. I WANT A DRAGONBONE FIST. Please dont tell me I have to use a caestus, I accidentally killed Andre on this character.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Shanty posted:

Hey. Hey. Who'd you give the large ember to? Huh? You remember that thing? Eh? Who was that?

Oh I knew that must be for something.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think those are unfair exaggerations of what has been said, and you're not the only one who's been making the argument that DCing is lame / bullshit / wimping out.

As for it not being in the spirit of the game, if you didn't learn to run away from fights you can't win / don't want to have, you weren't playing the same game as I was.

Just now I ran to the boss door in the forest to escape invasion, and minutes later I had the same happen when I was invading; I said 'Dark Souls', then accidentally jumped off a cliff.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

They dont need to equip wanderer's set to run around in the blight town swamp?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Nobody ever has to, the swamp barely hurts you as it is. Chug a jug of juice every ~3 minutes while you're killing stuff and then Homeward Bone away to the Great Hollow bonfire

Well I put on the iron ring and the wanderers set yesterday and really couldn't figure how I ever managed to put up with the poison before, although to be fair I was actually farming slugs and exploring every inch of the place (found Server!), not just going to Quelaag.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Seems like they are just absorbing each others power, much like the player would do from an invader. I had never considered Smough being a woman, but if so, drat girl.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

Seriously, just kick them. It helps to draw out one at a time too.

Someone should make a video of an SL1 burg run that just goes really smoothly showing all the things you can do to get by inconviniences (kicking, two-handing, the r2 plung attacks, parrying, effective item use). Better yet - Undead Burg speed run competition...we would have to decide on a prize though.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Since I accidentally killed my Andre of Astora, would someone be willing to be a summon for me to upgrade some items past +5 if that is possible? PS3 - my psn is bl_4u

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Well how do you do the bottomless box glitch? I dont want to lose the items I've already upgraded like quelaags furysword at +5 and my upgraded silver knight set etc. I couldnt find the info on the dark souls wiki with a short browse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

That new dupe bug is great, gives me a fun way to get myself indicted now - Dung Pies and Loyd's Talismans' - If they're just gonna sit behind a shield all day they better hope they brought some blooming purple moss with them or I will toxic those fuckers to death.

Midniter:

You may have been invaded by someone who is using the 'bottomless box glitch', which lets you transfer items from a developed character to a brand new one. Some good items in the game don't require very high stats, and upgrading items to say... +15 with lightning does not change the base stat requirement, so you end up with some very powerful, low level invaders running around! Also, apparently the xbox occasionally is known for hackers, but this is much more rare I hear - There is not much advice that can be given for these kinds of invasions unfortunately.

One tip is you could have actually gone through the boss door quickly, and this would have kicked the invader out of your world (invaders cannot follow you into boss fights).

If you put some points into INT (up to 14 I think) you will be able to use some low level spells which are quite useful like soul arrow - The same goes for FTH with miracles; you can get a heal spell from the guy in firelink shrine with 12 or 14 FTH, but need a talisman (if you go up the stairs to where the 2 lifts are - they'll be closed off until you kill the gargoyles - you can drop down and there will be a door behind you that leads to some chests, and there is a free talisman in one of them).

If you return to firelink shrine where you started the game and go down the set of stairs that takes you to the lady behind the bars which cannot speak, just next to her is another set of stairs going down again which goes to a lift (careful not to fall off this one). Once you go down the lift you should be in New Londo which is important a bit later in the game, but for now if you follow the stair case down and go right, you will find all the undead are ignoring you, there will be one who looks like he is sunbathing by the very side of a ledge, and next to him is another staircase. Go down this, and at the bottom is another man behind a cage! This is Rickert, and he will sell you spells and a catalyst (you can find a catalyst fairly early on but may as well buy one right now if you can afford it). This will show you the directions, sorry it isnt english but it is completely straightforward

• Locked thread