Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

GhostDog posted:

So, after about eight hours, these are the ways I can go

1) Area with enemies that I can't hurt with my current equipment
2) Area with enemies that I can whittle down but revive immediately after death
3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

If there's one thing the Malatora thread taught me, it's that dragons are sissies! Full speed ahead! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Arrrrgh my campus' mail has a PO box so I'm unable to do anything but standard shipping, and that means I probably won't get this until next week at the earliest :arghfist::qq::arghfist: #firstworldproblems

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Fffffffffffffffffuck this game

I'm stuck on Gaping Dragon at the moment, having burned off most of my Humanity summoning Solaire and having him do dickall in the fight before I either get instantly killed by the tail whip or flattened by one of his legs when he's walking, somehow. Apparently there's a trick to him, and I'm wagering it has to do with how easy it is to bait him into chewing on the ground but I can never quite seem to get out of the shockwave radius from that in time, which staggers me even through Elite Knight Armor and Havel's ring.

That's not why I'm angry, though.

The reason I'm angry is I had 20,000 souls, and thus was trying to get the gently caress out of the Depths to buy the seal that lets me go into the woods and do that soul exploit I read about, but as I exited the aqueduct, the dregling at the top of the stairs knocked me off the stairs into the bottomless cliff.

And then the loving torch-holding dregling outside of the bonfire room in the Depths spazcharged me when I swung a second too early and killed me again.

All those souls. Gone, like tears in the rain. Time to die.

:shepicide:

So, yeah, At Soul Level 20 with the Undead Church bell rung, what's the best area to grind up to 20k souls for that loving door?

Edit: P.S. this game is still awesome and I'm still only halfway through this gigantic loving thread.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So...Nito.

Am I the only one who was really depressed that he didn't get much of any characterization? He had one of the most incredible designs in the game, and a ton of potential - the First of the Dead in a world full of Undead - but even scouring through items for references all I could get were the Pinwheel guys apparently stole some of his mojo. Then when I got to the big man himself after the quivering pile of not-fun that is the Tomb of the Giants, I'm rewarded with the biggest snoozefest boss since the Gaping Dragon. I only had to heal a single time and, with Quelaag's Furysword +5 and a buffer of Humanity, could kill his skeleton minions so fast when they got near me hacking on Nito I didn't even need to switch to the divine mace I had laying around. All I had to do was walk in circles around him and chop at his feet while he flailed his huge sword around and missed me by miles every time.

It was really a shame. Also, Tomb of the Giants goes from :tizzy: to merely dull once you get Cast Light, in my opinion. However, I can't even imagine trying to get all the way to the lantern without a light source. I tried a few times and about ate my controller in fury.

Seriously have no idea what people are on about with Crystal Cave. The invisible platforms were easy as hell to navigate, and I'm offline, so I couldn't cheese it by following messages. So either I got very lucky due to being cautious, or people like complaining. The loooong walk from the bonfire was pretty annoying though.

And now I have a choice between finishing New Londo or Lost Izalith, which is like choosing between ghost rape and tyrannosaurus rape. I think I'll just flip a coin.

Bonus content: I love the world of this game, it's so...minimalistic yet evocative. One kind of crackpot theory I have that may give character to Nito is as follows (spoilered because who knows what to spoiler anymore)

Frampt says that the beings that hold the lordsouls have either turned to wickedness (Hello, Seath, Four Kings, Bed of Chaos), or have outlived their usefulness. This is probably where Nito fits, being unobtrusive and generally sticking to himself at the bottom of the world with his skeletons, but I noticed through the game that only five things drop humanity: NPCS, Piscasa, cannibals (the Butchers and the dudes in Blighttown), rats, and the skeletal babies. Humans having humanity makes sense, Piscasa used to be human (:gonk:), rats and cannibals having humanity can be explained by them consuming the corpses of the fallen and absorbing it, but the skeleton babies are harder to explain.

One possible explanation for the place I've come up with is that Nito, or perhaps the Pinwheels stealing his power, are trying to create life from death, a truly Undead race, along the lines of Seath's stolen immortality. Nito and/or the Pinwheels, instead of wanting to stave off death, wanted to give a facsimile of life back to the truly dead, by infusing the baby skeletons with Humanity and creating them endlessly. It's another way of addressing the fear of both immortality and death that seems to permeate this game.

Plus, immortality that doesn't depend on the Fires would scare the crap out of the Gwyn family, so they'd certainly want him dead(er).

Of course, I may just be reading too much into item drops in a video game :shepface:

Edit: Forgot about one enemy that drops Humanity.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 25, 2011

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Sumadartson posted:

So I just claymored the rotten dragon to death in the Painted World. There's still a mountain of flesh left behind. I tried hitting it a couple of times, but to no avail. Is there anything behind there? I just got a dragon scale and a blood shield from the dragon fight...

Jump attack it and stand back.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Pigbuster posted:

I'm nigh certain that particular response wasn't intentional on From's part. The dragon bottom is invincible, only reacts to a jumping attack for some reason, has no animation for standing up (the model just kinda switches to it's standing stance and floats up really fast), and when you drop behind it the knight spawns in right in front of you. It's just bizarre. I'm guessing it was just supposed to act as a roadblock, forcing you to go open the door with the underground lever, but some oversight in its behavior makes it switch states when hit with a jumping attack.

I know, but it's still funny as hell to do.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
:siren:LOST IZALITH STATUS UPDATE!:siren:

I would very much like to find whoever designed this place and punch their teeth down their throat, chop off my own torso, and have my legs stomp them to death.

And yes, I know about the shortcut, I'm just being a masochist and seeing if the straight route really is that bad.

IT REALLY IS THAT BAD

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
:stare:

I just got stomped to death through a loving wall from inside one of those huts.

:unsmigghh: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Tyrannosaur Butts Izalith wgah'nagl fhtagn

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ericthebear posted:

There's a challenge for Waspinator. Be a Havel that backflips. I double dog dare you.

I'm actually doing this in my current run! Mask of the Father, Ninja Flip Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection, and the rest is Havel's gear. Granted, I also have Endurance 40.

And even with flips and poo poo, the Tyrannosaur Butts are still killing me.

gently caress this place, gently caress whoever thought of this place, I'm using the shortcut t:mad:t

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Eiderann posted:

The Havok physics engine has never been so charming. I killed a Wheel Skeleton mid-roll and it shot straight up into the sky and, as far as I can tell, never came back down.

The Skelewheel deaths are one of the funniest parts of the game, as sometimes their skeletal selves get disconnected from the wheel before they actually collapse into pieces, and the physics engine's confused flailings end up sending either the skeleton or the wheel into outer space.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I just talked to the Daughter of Chaos with the Old Witch's Ring on.

That...that was weapons grade depressing. Jesus Christ.

Whoever voiced her needs more money than what they got. That was, no joke, some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. You could hear the masked agony in every word she said, desperately trying to put on a good face for her dear sister even though she's dying in horrible pain. Her sister's happiness is more important than her own life.

I'm just to drop the Old Witch's Ring next to Eiyingi and pretend he takes it so he finally speak with his Fair Lady and can make the rest of the Daughter's life as comfortable as he can.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Elysiume posted:

It's upsetting that most of the people who assist you end up dead. Black Iron Tarkus ends up dead in the church in Anor Londo, Beatrice is dead in the Valley, Solaire just has a depressing story, you personally kill Leeroy, ...

To be fair with Leeroy, that fucker invaded me in the Tomb of the Giants, so he deserved that Furysword in the spine. Plus, I wanted that bitchin' club :colbert:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Auracounts posted:

Same thing happened to me today in the catacombs. Pretty douchey if you ask me, but I guess I'm old-fashioned and think that sportsmanlike conduct is something to value. I don't understand the mindset of the player who thinks that somehow gives them bragging rights or makes them any good at PVP.

Anyway, question. In the baby room, how many Pinwheels am I looking at, and do they respawn if I bonfire it up?

Four or five, and they all respawn if you go to a bonfire, but they collapse like a house of cards when you get up in their faces. Just use the high ground route to avoid the waves of skelebabbys for the most part, then kill the one near the water.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Miijhal posted:

You don't want to be done with New Londo. It's pretty much the best designed area, in terms of both aesthetics and not being cheap as gently caress, that you're going to find. And after that, you get to do Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith, which make Anor Londo and Blight Town look like happy funtime jollycoaster rides!

I think you're confusing New Londo and Anor Londo there.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Holy poo poo The Kiln of the First Flame is beautiful.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

waspinator posted:

Infinite Twinklings from giant,

YES!

waspinator posted:

8k per

gently caress :negative: I figured the price would be ridiculous. Oh well, at least I can grind out upgrades for more than one part of a single armor set.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Figures that shortly after I use a Titanite Slab to upgrade my Hollow Soldier's Shield to +15, they nerf it :saddowns:

And I'm SL60something, so grinding up strength from ~16 to use greatshields effectively is going to suck :saddowns:

It's a testament to this game that I'm still just shrugging and figuring I'll restart with a new build instead of continuing into NG+

That is, if the 360 ever gets the patch.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Elysiume posted:

I can't even use Mask of the Father. It's just so goddamn hideous.

Oh come on, it's basically :shepface: with a beard. It looks constantly pleasantly surprised to see you.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Republicans posted:

I'm currently using it because it lets me use the rest of Havel's armor, Havel's shield and a couple weapons without having to use Havel's Ring so I can wear the stamina regen ring. Who fuckin' needs Iron Flesh?

All it's missing is the crown and it'd be the Burger King.

:respek:

Havel's armor, Mask of the Father, Dark Wood Grain Ring. I'm doing backflips in armor made of solid rock, :whatup:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Good God, the fight against Gwyn, Lord Of Cinder :stare:

I know that parrying him is the way to go...but that's much, much easier said than done. I'm usually pretty good at parrying, but one fuckup and you're wide open for Flaming Greatsword Anal Rampage Bonanza Time.

I love the design of this fight, even though it's incredibly hard. As other people have said earlier, just the way he fights let you know he wants you dead harder than anything has ever wanted anything else dead.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Holy poo poo, for anybody who has the Father's Mask, wear it before activating the To Link The Fire ending.

Its expression turns a quiet, dramatic moment into :supaburn: DURRRRRR WHY AM HAND ON FIRE

I'm having fun with NG+ so far. Here's how it's gone

:black101:: "I AM THE GOD OF VENGEANCE! QUAKE IN FEAR, TINY FOOLS! I WILL BREAK YOU, ASYLUM DEMON! MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHoly poo poo did that armored zombie nearly one shot me through Havel's armor? :stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, a friend sent me this.

• Locked thread