Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

So I started playing this again on a new character and got further then I had before. Through the depths and into blighttown. Mostly because I'm really enjoying playing online and having other people to go through areas with and fight bosses with. Although I learned something terrible about online is that you can't light new bonfires while a phantom is summoned, so a bit of a way into blighttown, I'm only early level 20's with 50k souls racked up but haven't gotten around to spending (I think everyone knows where this is going :v:), get to some strange parasite hugging the wall further from the bonfire, phantom is attacking it from range and I decide to see if I can melee it to take it out faster, I die in one hit.

So now I've respawned back at the bonfire in depths and my 50k souls and 10 humanity are sitting halfway through blighttown and I'm finding it hard to care anymore. I know 50k really isn't that much but drat it's a punch in the gut to lost 5-6 levels worth of souls. Also what determines a phantoms level, because I haven't run into a single invader that I've been able to do any damage to and it's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

So got back into a good groove and have been exploring blighttown trying to get as many of the goodies in the nooks and crannies as I can but I think it's time to attempt the boss. How hard is she exactly and should I summon someone? I tried for a while at the bonfire on the ground level but every single one failed. Is this a problem with my connection or were they just waiting for another player and canceled when I clicked them or something?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Just beat them game for the first time. Once I realized I could simply clobber Gwyn after he did his swing and grab maneuvers it wasn't a very scary fight, there were even a few other bosses that gave me much more of a hard time (Ornstein/Smough and Ceaseless Discharge spring to mind).

Now I just need to decide if I want to do a NG+ or start a new character. Went through it this time as an all-melee juggernaut so it would be interesting to start a Sorcerer and see what the other end of the scale looks like, I really have no experience at all with magic in this game.

My first character was a pure sorcerer and it's kind of boring, it's similar to playing an archer with really powerful arrows. Stand back, cast soul arrow, rinse repeat. Makes some bosses completely trivial as well since you can move while charging the cast but have to stop for the actual cast.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

One video I saw for the Artorias Greatsword had the player with enough of the buffs and max SL doing over 8000 damage.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

EC posted:

I just realized the body where you find Poison Mist and the Tattered Cloth set is more than likely what's left of Eingyi, before his transformation to Eggman. I love little touches like that.

I accidentally killed Eingyi, I broke that illusioned wall and saw an eggsac person standing between me and the bonfire so I killed him and he started yelling and screaming and I felt bad :smith:.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

So I'm to Sen's Fortress and still using the Drake Sword and haven't upgraded anything. I'd like to use a greatsword or ultragreatsword but I only have the zweihander right now and I have trouble liking it because of the opening it leaves after attack. Any suggestions on strength weapons and what to upgrade them with?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The thing about the Zweihander and other ultra greatswords is that if you have high stamina, and high poise yourself, they're amazing on low-mid poise enemies, and leave people in PVP defenseless.

If you try to use one without any Poise you will find yourself being constantly interrupted.

I'm using the elite knight armor set with havels ring at the same time using a balder shield and the zweihander. Still <50% equip load too so that's good.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

What's a good shield to upgrade, or is it best to keep a couple different ones around for magic, fire and physical damage? I know the spider shield is good for it's poison resist but what other shields are really top in their respective fields?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Yeah I'm having trouble in Sen's Fortress with those magic casters so have been using the eagle shield to try and mitigate it some. I did upgrade my Zweihander up to a +8 and loving it now. Thinking about going lightning with it eventually.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

doomfunk posted:

In terms of looks alone, balder is my absolute favourite. Prior to 1.05 I was using it for a long-rear end time even though its stability was really bad for some reason.

I just really like its really long, narrow look for some reason. Artorias, too. They're really cool to me.

Yeah I'm loving the look of the balder shield, I was half-tempted to upgrade it but shield upgrades don't seem to improve resistance very much so decided against it.

EDIT: Looking at the wiki I could upgrade it to a +10 and make the Artorias shield once I had the soul for it.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Anor Londo must be one of the best looking areas in the game, I love the aesthetic to it. As a complaint I hate laggy invaders who can backstab me while I'm facing them :argh:.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Is it possible to summon a phantom to help on the revisit to the undead asylum? The demon is kicking my rear end and I've tried the iron flesh and bleeding weapon strategy but I can't even get him to half health before he kills me. Also where is a good place to grind humanity because my corpse in his lair is holding 11 and I really don't want to lose them but if I do I'd like to know the easiest way to get them back.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Read posted:

Skeleton babies in the Tomb of Giants or Picasas in the Duke's Archives jail tower.

Here I thought that group of rats outside the depths bonfire would be a good place, I haven't gotten to the Tomb of Giants or Duke's Archives yet. Are there max levels to summoned in areas as well?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

EC posted:

Sure, but I don't think it's a spot where you'll find people waiting around. If you post your platform and level, someone may help you out. I've also had people ask me to help them at another boss after assisting them on O&S, so don't be afraid to message people.

I guess it's weird, but I've made a lot of :darksouls: buddies. It's funny summoning someone to help against a boss, then recognizing their name when you're invading the next day.

PS3 and SL51, Apocadall is PSN name. Getting some help on him would be immensely helpful.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

The important thing with him is to just sprint behind him. He doesn't move around a ton, and once you pick up on the only attack that strikes behind him (hint: it's when he lifts his club up and basically stabs the ground with it), and know the safe distance (stay about a Zweihander's length away, and you should be fine), it's the most piss easy fight. You just have to keep sprinting, wait till he does a non-buttstomp move, then just smack him in the rear end once or twice. Rinse repeat.

Yeah it's that fire move he does that keeps wrecking me, should I stick to using my Zweihander+10 or should I use one of the bleeding weapons I have like the barbed straight sword for the 10% health damage bonus?

EDIT: No current covenant and some help would be great.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Cool, nearly there. PSN name is Deiterbomber.

EDIT: Bummer. I walked around a bit, and the White Sign Soapstone was darkened pretty much everywhere I went, so I think it's safe to say there's no summoning there.

drat, guess I just have to try and try again, worse comes to worse I'll use a ring of sacrifice to at least get my stuff back and leave.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Yeah, it's one of those situations where once you figure the timings and safe spots, you'll kick yourself. I was completely off guard at how easy it became once I got used to it.

Yeah I'm figuring that out pretty quick already, after fighting him a couple times now I'm getting the hang of his pattern.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Another tip for the boar if you have a bow is to shoot it from the stairs then run onto the ledge where it can't reach you and then pelt arrows into it's backside as it's walking away.

EDIT: On another note I am getting so sick of laggy invaders! :argh:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

^^ where do you get the ability to +10 a weapon? I'm stuck at +5 and about to go to the Depths.

All you people wasting projectiles on that thing. The best strategy is getting it over to the stairs coming up from the bonfire. When it passes through the archway, if you're not in immediate attack range, it will turn around and walk back through the arch (till about half way where it'll turn around if you're back behind it). Repeat with having your shield up while backing away and you'll be fine. Cheesy, but really easy.

Wish the giant greatswords or whatever were faster. They look so cool, but are just so slow swinging them. Guess it's using the claymore for the game.

To get to +6 you have to get Andrei the blacksmith to upgrade it first and then you can upgrade it to +10 from your bonfire if you have the weapon upgrade kit.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Well poo poo, I was trying to get the flip ring and attacked the bodyguard and he went and dodged off the cliff. Did I lose it for good? I died shortly after.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Read posted:

His gear may be sitting where he normally spawns if you go back and check, depends on the NPC but sometimes it happens like that. If not I can give you one for free if you're PS3.

Yeah I'm PS3 and I'm gonna fight my way through and check, PSN name is same as SA name if you want to add me.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Read posted:

It'll have to wait till tomorrow, but I'll add you :). GentleDiscord on the PSN.
e: Lemme know what kind of character you're playing, I might have some other goodies for you.

It was there! Unfortunately Shiva of the East followed me off the cliff to his death so his stuff was there as well.

I've been playing an armored ultragreatsword build, currently using the silver knight armor and a Lightning Zweihander+3.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

I almost had a panic attack when I thought I'd used Quelag's Soul for souls instead of saving it to turn into a weapon. This isn't a good game for someone with anxiety issues, but I love it.

I've been putting all of my boss souls into the box so I don't accidentally use them or get tempted to use them for some quick souls. Since getting the flip ring I'm wondering how hilarious havels armor set looks with it on.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Is it some sort of unspoken rule to bow before engaging someone you're invading? Maybe I just have an odd view of it but wouldn't it be more evil to just sneak up behind them and kill them before they even really know what's going on?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Stupid nerds like to cry about honor in their video game land

So it's about the equivalent of Jedi Knight multiplayer with two guys bowing to each other and then I come through with a blaster and kill both of them :v:.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I'd imagine that the Capra weapon is in the speed range of the Zweihander and other Ultragreatswords so it might be the moveset for it or difficulty in getting it that causes it to be used less. The greataxes have always seemed really slow to me so you might be better of going for the Capra weapon instead.

EDIT: Ignore that difficulty getting it part, I just saw that Shiva sells it.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 13, 2012

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

What's the advantages to being summoned? What do you get for helping to down a boss?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Do this. Wear the silliest armor you can too.

Black Iron armor with dual whips.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

So my brother got back into Dark Souls last night since I've been playing a lot recently, he had only ever gotten to the first belltower for a boss though. Around 9pm he said he only planned on playing for an hour or so and I acted as kind of a guide and we called it a night around 5am :v:. Got him through capra demon, gaping dragon, Quelaag, and now he's slowly making his way through Sen's Fortress. He did all of that with a +5 Estoc and watching him plink away at enemies with it after coming from my Zweihander was pretty hilarious.

He killed a Black Knight in the asylum and got one of their swords though and loving it so he's been using that. Watching him fighting those reptile guards in Sens with an Estoc was just sad.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

The easiest way I found to deal with most of the human sized enemies is to let them hit you with your shield up and right as they begin to recoil just wail on them. This is really helpful if you're using heavier weapons because of how they'll leave you open.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

At what point is it possible to do all of the covenants and get the goodies for them? I'd like to do as many as possible before NG+ and want to work towards all of the achievements because I'm really enjoying this game (Much more then Demon's Souls). I'm right before the Ornstein and Smough fight right now I think and haven't attempted it yet.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Chard posted:

Pretty sure you can do everything you need with every covenant in one playthrough. Except for Forest Hunters, there's no permanent penalty for abandoning, just lost rank if you had one. For the achievement you don't actually need to join, just go to the "Yes/No" prompt and wait a few seconds, then back out.

Well I meant when is the best time if I wanted to go through them because some of the leaders are bosses right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So what's a good armor set-up for someone who likes the fast roll.

Right now I'm using the gold hemmed cloack and face thing and black leather boots, anything else I should buy? Been wanting to upgrade an armor but don't know what.

Flip ring and anything pretty much.

• Locked thread