Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Is it generally a bad idea to spread points across multiple stats? The strength requirements for some items are insane, so I feel like I'm going to severely gimp myself by doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Oh, I've got another question for those of you who have the game already. How's the parrying? Is it feasible to abuse if you have good timing? Is the opening for a parry about the same as the last game, or has it been balanced one way or the other? I ask because I'm already thinking of rolling a regular-Joe-Schmoe-looking guy and want to know if it's possible to beat the game through sheer will of breaking it over your knee by absolutely mastering the parry system, or if I'm better off shelving that idea and just rolling with a dude-who-has-neat-armor kind of thing.

Some attacks can't be parried, so you'd still want a full size shield for those situations.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So if I went a light-armor sword/mace/spear-and-shield build with a fast roll and focused on parrying with holding my weapon in both hands whenever possible, I should be okay?

I'd say yes, light weight is probably a very challenging but fun way to play. I find having speed to be quite useful, especially during boss fights.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Finally finished this game at seventy hours, exploring all areas. Game became stupid easy with coop summons, I felt like I cheated my way through the last few bosses, shame on me. :blush: There should be an extra reward for solo play.

I felt like I missed half the fun by going pure strength/heavy armor warrior, so I definitely want to start a hybrid type character next. I played warrior mostly because I wanted to try out all the equipment. I found that most weapons end up being useful if you upgrade them enough times. You can safely choose to upgrade the longsword you get minutes into the game. There is no better or worse. They all have situational use, for different environments or opponents.

I had the impression that the latter part of the game was rushed-- or just not as well designed as the early castle levels which I loved. Level design was uninspired to say the least. Mostly hollow caverns with giant enemy demons inside.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Kind of bummed that there aren't any sort of post-ng+ content beyond repeating the whole thing seemingly unchanged (aside from more souls, harder enemies). I need *some* kind of incentive for a second run.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

redreader posted:

how long did it take you to finish?

70 hours on the JP copy. I could have spent up to 100+ if I wanted to find absolutely everything. There are a few bosses I completely missed, too.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

That IS the incentive. It is unchanged from the first game.

I suppose it is. The bigger incentive is starting a new character with a different play style.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

Xvimic posted:

Also if Dark Souls is anything like Demon souls you probably missed out on some important equipment and resources your first time through that you can't get again until subsequent play-throughs.

I remember Demon souls had some stuff that if you missed it was gone forever and also some items that only existed singularly in a given play through but were needed to make more than one powerful item or spell. In other words you had to decide what to make with it and you couldn't have everything unless you played through more than once. Forgive the vagueness it's been awhile since Demon Souls for me.

Yeah, there's boss souls, and high-end smithing resources are quite scarce. I think it would take a couple dozen ng+ if I wanted all equipment fully upgraded.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
As Deprived, how do you find your first fire spells? I'm near the gargoyles and still haven't found any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

Revitalized posted:

What exactly is the point of having to light a bonfire first before you can rest/save your checkpoint there? I mean why is it not just lit to begin with?

You don't always want to respawn enemies. Lighting it alone doesn't.

• Locked thread