Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

9999DMG posted:

Does anyone who was watching the IGN stream know what that weird enemy was? It was hard to see with the bad compression, but I thought it looked like a glowy white squid-thing with a crab claw.

I was thinking it might have been perhaps one of those things that were said to spawn from other people's dropped loot and all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler since it's just talking about a feature from Demon's that makes an appearance here as well, but just in case...

You know how at the end of 3-1, you beat the boss and monsters come and carry you away to another place? That happens in Dark Souls too. Except that you can't get back, since there's no nexus to teleport to And then from there it's possible to wander into another place inside THERE that you can't get back from either. I'm two layers deep in poo poo now...

Is this the painting thing that you walk into?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Seriously gently caress C(r)apra Demon! Whoever came up with this idiocy I would really like to say a few words to. Or rather, gently caress those stupid dogs. I think I died like 30 times and finally had to summon a white phantom for help (that time was actually successful).

A stupid boss is made artificially difficult with camera and geometry issues due to the small room where you have to fight it. Nice going there, guys.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Shumagorath posted:

Run up to the top of the stairs, head right until you hit the ledge. Spam projectiles until he manages to get to the top of the stairs, then drop down so he does too. Repeat.

Yeah I know that, the boss itself is stupid, problem is the crowding of the small room due to dogs--I couldn't even get past them immediately after enetering. I guess the idea is to go forward and roll through his first attack on your right side and then up the stairs, but I was having trouble getting the timing right. Maybe I should have taken off some armour to get the fast roll instead of 'medium' speed roll, I don't know.

But anyway, it's now done so I'll be finding something else to annoy me in this game. :v:

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that the messaging system and the choice of phrases for the actual messages pretty much suck compared to Demon's Souls? The only thing that I find better is that you can actually view all your active messages and their scores in one place.

Also, I guess "Praise the sun!" is this year's "I'm in trouble, please recommend this message". :) Although I did find it funny after beating the gargoyles that there was a ton of messages on that roof saying just "I did it!". Contrary to Capra, I did not find the gargoyle fight hard at all, even managed to get the axe without much trouble.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

der juicen posted:

Well if I run into a wall long enough, I will break it.

Thank you, I really didn't want to sell you Dark Souls.

Why don't you just summon someone to help out?

I had trouble with Capra too, but with two of us against him it finally got done.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Coulis posted:

I guess it's probably a dead end but is there a place online to buy the official guide at a "normal" price ?

I have an extra one because I ordered from two different places and they both shipped before I could cancel one. It can be yours for the amount I paid ($15) plus shipping to your address. If you want it contact me at the same username as here on gmail. Note: I'm in Europe so that's where I'll be sending it from. It's still in original plastic wrap too, so basically new.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

neetz posted:

Just lost two million souls messing up the jump to the Firelink bridge twice in a row (once jumping off, once trying to get back on for the stain). I am not a clever man.

For future reference: if you go around the other side, where the dregling with the axe normally stands, you can just fall down to the bridge. You still have to jump on your way back though (or use Homeward/Homeward bone).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Graviija posted:

How did I ever play this game so long without being summoned? This is fun as hell. So much humanity, so much experience, so much cordial bowing.

It's great fun, isn't it?

I had a weird one yesterday. Was helping people through Anor Londo and got summoned by a guy and--wow, the sun has gone out and he is in the middle of invasion. Also he needs help with Gwyndolin who I haven't even done myself yet! All of that was new for me, but the red phantom died on its own before reaching us and we proceeded to obliterate the boss so it all turned out well.

Also, finally "obtained" the dark wood grain ring yesterday... and wow! It's really evil of From to not make this obtainable any other way except by killing Shiva's bodyguard (or at least I think there is no other way, please correct me?). Backflips sure are a much faster way to dodge!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So a strange thing happened to me a couple of times... I was a phantom in somebody else's game, and then suddenly the host would seem to start fighting an invisible enemy and usually eventually dying. In the end I figured out that they got invaded, but somehow the invader was not visible on my end (nor could I attack them).

Has anybody else seen this weird glitch? Is there a way around it when it happens?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cuchulain posted:

They probably stupidly picked a fight with an NPC. Phantoms can't interact with NPCs.

Nope, it was in Anor Londo just after the first lift after bonfire. There are no NPCs there and anyway they would appear as ghosts--in my case, there was literally nothing visible, just the host hacking at air with his sword! But I could see him getting hit by an invisible opponent so ultimately figured out that there is an invader there that somehow didn't register in my game for whatever reason. I couldn't attack the invader either, unfortunately.

This happened to me already 2-3 times so far.

BTW... I've been doing a lot of Sunbro phantoming in Anor Londo and it's seriously crazy with invasions (both red and blue), almost every time we get invaded by someone (but since it's 3 to 1 most of the time, invader usually dies)!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Kongming posted:

Where was this? It is possible he picked a fight with an NPC. When you are a phantom NPCs in the players world will look like the ghosts you see of other players and you cannot interact or harm them in any way. Otherwise phantoms would be able to grief the person they are invading/assisting by killing important NPCs like blacksmiths.

No, this happened to me too a few times. Something gets screwy in the network code and somehow the invader fails to connect to the phantom's game, only to the actual host's. You can't see him or hit him or do anything, but you can see the host fighthing someone. It's not an NPC because they normally show up as faint ghosts that you as a phantom can see, but not interact with. In this case you see nothing but your host swinging his sword at empty air.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
It's possible that this was already discussed, but the thread is massive, so...

Let's assume that it's no problem to always have 10 humanity on me. Is there any point in making a chaos weapon? If so, which one would you recommend to convert?

I was looking a bit on wiki and the damage in the end (at max chaos upgrade) doesn't make it to be worth doing, but it is unclear to me based on those numbers how much the humanity-based scaling adds to it, so I would appreciate any insights on this.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Alright guys, thanks for the opinions. I guess I'll go and make a chaos weapon to see how it is. Just need to farm some red titanite first because I really don't want to have to make more than one trip down to the Catacombs blacksmith!

Having 10 humanity is not really a problem, easily obtained through phantoming which I like to do anyway.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Fake edit: Speaking of Homeward, how is it that even after a couple patches, there is still the mistake in one of the loading screens showing the description for Force, but is titled 'Homeward'?

I have a better question: It's version 1.05 now and still... "Durablty"? Really? It was not possible to add that one letter in the patch?

Also, there is more than one loading screen where title/description don't match.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

MZ posted:

Just made my way through Blighttown, is there anywhere else apart from this & The Depths that I need to worry about Curses?

I am not aware of anything that can curse you in Blighttown, there is just poison and toxin there.

Other than the Depths, the curse frogs make an appearance in the Great Hollow (a completely optional area) and also there's the boss of Duke's Archives. Don't think there's anything else.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Playing a new character just to try something different and came across a nice touch today...

You know how post-patch the bosses give you humanity? Well after defeating gargoyles you get... twin humanity! But of course.

This reminds me of the Maneater fight in Demon's Souls where after you defeat them you can examine a body and find TWO of those consumable souls on it. This is the only corpse in the game that has two souls on it instead of one.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

artism posted:

Got Ornstein and Smaug down on first attempt (thank god). I'd heard awful things about them. Really annoying fight though, I estimate phase 1 took about 15 minutes of me running the room in circles avoiding the fat guy and trying to seperate the two of them so I could maybe get a strike or two in before starting the process all over again. I found it was easy to dodge their attacks, much moreso than almost any boss I've encountered... only problem I had in Phase 1 was every now and again I would be watching fatty and skinny would somehow wind up behind me

They are super weak to fire. A fully upgraded pyromancy glove+Great Combustion spell will kill either one (before the upgrade happens) in 6-7 casts.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Niccy Bones posted:

No Skull Lanterns dropped from any necromancers in the catacombs. Is there anywhere else I can get them? Ideally two?

If you need the second one for the Ring of Fog, I would say just join the forest covenant. All you need to is invade three people and win to get it. I am completely poo poo at PVP and even I managed to do it!

Another option, join Chaos servant covenant and open the Lost Izalith shortcut so you can get the sunlight maggot there. Then you don't need the skull lantern for light and can exchange the one you find in the pit in Tomb of the Giants for the Ring of Fog or do whatever it is you need two for.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

VTNewb posted:

Finally got the lord vessel. I made it to the four kings but really can't seem to take them down, and can't find anyone to summon in. I switched gears and went into the Duke's Archives and man, is this place tough.

Prepare to Die?

Yeah, Duke's Archives is kind of weird. It connects directly to Anor Londo, and doesn't really contain any strong enemies, but the sheer numbers of them make it quite a step up in difficulty for some reason. It literally took me at least 10 tries just to get to that first library room! For the crystal guys it helps if you have a weapon that is not pure physical damage as they seem resistant to it.

Also the problem is that summoning is difficult as summoning at the first bonfire makes no real sense whereas later in prison cells the potential phantom would actually have to make it all the way there through the level in order to get summoned which is kind of annoying.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The Bottomless Box is hardly vital. I mean, it saves time but you never need it.

Also it's sold by at least one other merchant, the one in the Depths.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

MZ posted:

Is it possible for people in NG+ to summon someone in a normal game? I just got summoned twice for the Gaping Dragon fight, I'm level 83 on my first game and they were wearing havels....

When we defeated him I got 37500 souls!

Yes. This happens from time to time if the summoner somehow maintains a low level character. It is especially awesome on a later boss such as O&S for which you as a phantom will receive 75,000 souls if you win! And except for more health they aren't any harder to beat in NG+; that boss fight mostly gets trivial with more people as long as they play it smart (i.e. two people should attack whoever host wants to kill first and the third person should distract the other part of the boss duo and so on).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

mastershakeman posted:

I had a fantastic two hours of destroying everything in my path, then managed to hit the pyromancer with a fireball intended for a skeleton. He aggroed so i let him kill me, but did i just gently caress my pyro over?

If you haven't killed him, you should be able to absolve sins with the guy in belltower and bring him back to normal.

Alternately, you can use Eingy (the 'servant' of Chaos witch) to upgrade your pyromancy glove until you bring it up enough to switch to Queelana.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Brace posted:

How are you supposed to grab the claymore when it's right infront of the Hellkite dragon? He just roasts the bridge everytime he sees you, which ends up in a death after two fire breaths at most.

As another option, you can just bash his head in, one bash at a time. Climb up from the Burg bonfire until you come to the bridge; fire an arrow at the dragon, this will cause him to come over to the middle of the bridge where you are. Run to his head, hit him ONCE and then back down the stairs one level so you don't get burned by his fire breath which he's about to use. Repeat this a few times and he will die. Even with just drake sword, it only takes 10-15 hits to his head, no more, he doesn't have a lot of HP at all.

EDIT:

Brace posted:

Are you guys usually under 25% Burden with Havel's/Ring of Favor and Heavy Armour? I'm at 35%, but I'm only SL27 or SL28 so I don't have that many stat points invested into anything really.

You should really try to get the Ninja ring at some point (Darkwood grain ring I think it's called?). This gives you a faster roll (backflip) and gives you the fastest movement as long as you are under 50% instead of 25% like it is without it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Can I just say how much I loving hate the water wheel in Blighttown? Every time I need to step off it on top I have to wonder if THIS TIME my character will somehow again stumble on geometry and fall to his death! I am on a new character so don't have the warp power yet.

You know, I don't get why for all it's qualities, this game has so many rough edges around level geometry--you can never be sure if an attack is not somehow going to clip through a solid wall or not! I was once killed by the titanite demon in Anor Londo because he somehow got aggroed and his pole thing managed to clip through a wall and hit me. WTF, From Software!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

TehGherkin posted:

Okay, so I've rang the first bell and after a little exploring it seems like my only options are to go through the graveyard, and into The Catacombs or take the Lift in the church and either cross that little bridge across the huge ominous lake or check out The Valley of The Drakes Oh and there's that bit near the Parish Smith, where if you go downstairs there's a giant dick throwing lightning at you, I decided to give it a go and my +5 halberd was barely denting him so I left post-haste

I don't want to though, one has respawning skeletons, that graveyard was annoying enough and the others just seem scary, and I felt like such a big man taking down the first boss first time, then those black knights, then Havel :ohdear:

What do you guys think?

Amnesia is the only game thats actually made me feel physical fear, but Dark Souls is the only game that's made me feel dread and not want to play almost as much as I want to play.

Looks like you missed something... how about that locked door before the bridge with the dragon? If you've been to Undead Parish, you should have the key for it now (Basement Key).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm in Sen's right now and I guess I'll go to Anor Londo next since everyone says that's good, but all the videos I've seen of it looked really hard and it was bad enough to get a song written about it, so...anything significant I should do/get/be prepared for before I go there? Still at the beginning of Sen's, trying to clean out all those golems on the floor of the first main room. I'm mainly a dex character, currently using a Iaito +7 (might switch to my divine Shotel if its shield-ignoring abilities prove awesome enough).

In all honesty all I've ever needed to get through Anor Londo (not including the boss fight) was the lightning spear from Sen's fortress and Eagle Shield from Blight town. The O&S fight may be a different problem, but for that anything with fire helps a lot.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Don't go down to the bottom of Sen's. It's sticky as gently caress and there's a ring that you can get later that takes care of moving around in gunk like that.

Well, technically speaking you can get that ring as soon as you reach the Firelink shrine for the first time, there is no need to wait for anything. :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Oxxidation posted:

No, Sen's is pretty loving bad. It's one of the few areas where the environment is trying to kill you just as bad as the enemies, and not in a way you can mitigate with a spell or accessory.

But you can use the environment against the enemies too: several of the snake people can be killed simply by tricking them into the traps--good thing too, because at the time you normally come to Sen's probably your best weapon is Drake Sword (unless you've been grinding) which is not too good against them.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Funkysauce posted:

I finally started playing this torture device again and seem to have made some decent progress. I joined the Cat's Covenant last night but I read that the Ring Of Fog is pussified now.

Is there ANY other benefit to being in this covenant? Or should I just join another?

Well you can kill Shiva's bodyguard for that awesome ring of his...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

whaley posted:

Anyone else lose 890,000 souls today in one death :iamafag:

Dark Souls

That's what the Ring of Sacrifice is for... I'm pretty sure you can buy several from the merchant in belltower, plus a couple more can be found lying about.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

FancyMike posted:

Equip the Gold Serpent ring. Might as well pick up some titanite chunks while you're grinding.

I've never had the 1500 souls knights (the ones in front of the building) drop chunks (but maybe they do and the drop rate is so low even with maxed item discovery). The 3000 souls knights (inside, in front of boss fog) however, are a different story, with the serpent ring they will drop them probably about 30-40% of the time which is quite good.

EDIT vvvv: Yes, turn around and talk to the gargoyle perched on the wall (the one that brought you there).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

artism posted:

No, in PVE fire is probably the best bet. Can't think of any bosses with good fire resistance.

Isn't Quelaag immune to fire attacks?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Nasgate posted:

I personally beat the painted world before i fought o&s, mainly by accident since you're stuck once you're in. And when i went back after to kill the boss, there were plenty of summon signs. The boss is the easy part though. Bring a flame weapon and resistant shield for taking out infected hollows so they don't toxic you.

Technically, as long as you don't use the bonfire in Painted world you can leave any time by using a homeward bone/homeward miracle. As soon as you use that bonfire you are then stuck until you can get through to the boss and exit the other side.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cleretic posted:

and technically speaking the Painted World but I know there's nothing much there.

What do you mean nothing much, there's all sorts of items to be picked up there including 3 full armor sets (if you kill the NPC invader, otherwise 2)?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

MustachioNut posted:

There's the painted guardian set, very light with a ton of poison resist. Also I think it looks pretty good.

Also the Black cleric set which is resistant to magic, including Velka's Rapier which has B scaling with intelligence.

If you kill the King Jeremiah NPC invader you also get the Xanthous armour set.

In my opinion it is worth going there. Although it's not the easiest area in the game to clear, it is actually quite small so shouldn't be a big problem in the end. Just bring some blooming purple mosses to cure toxin if necessary.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I still don't know my way around down by the gaping dragon and often summon a phantom just as a guide -- I have no problems with that boss solo any more.

It's actually quite easy...

From the butcher area to the bonfire if you haven't opened the shortcut that leads from bonfire to the boss:
1. Drop down through the small hole behind the butcher's table.
2. Drop down to the big open area where the big rat is/was.
3. Slide down the water slope but stay all the way to the left so you don't fall into the curse frog area.
4. Staircase to the bonfire is to your right (and the shortcut door on top of it).
5. If you take the left instead, when in human form, you will be invaded by NPC Kirk.

Then you can come back later and pick up the items around the hallways you skipped and whatever else you want to do.

Don't remember exactly how to get to the channeller, but at least with this you will be based down at the bonfire that is close to the boss area if nothing else.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

actionjackson posted:

So I died to Seath in the first encounter with the ring of sacrifice. When I came to at the bonfire I didn't have my souls? I thought the ring made it so I kept them? Also I got cursed, so I put on the rare ring and died again but the curse is still there. What the hell?

Rare ring only prevents you from getting cursed at the time it originally happens, it does not cure curse on subsequent deaths. The in-game description of the item is a bit ambiguous.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Stokes posted:

Back at the place by the first blacksmith where you find the first Firekeeper soul, a pendant and 7 humanity were sitting there as loot. Like someone was killed there. What is that all about?

After you rescued Reah from the Tomb of Giants, Petrus killed her to keep it a secret the fact that he left her there to die. Those items are what remains of her. If you kill Petrus now, he will drop her talisman (ivory talisman).

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 4, 2012

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Kongming posted:

Best time would be after he returns and before you even go to Catacombs/Tomb. Just don't harm him BEFORE his companions show up, otherwise they will be aggressive to you on sight, but anytime after they leave it is safe to kill him.

In fact even after you go to Tomb of Giants and save her and return to Firelink, you still have some time before he goes into action, he will not do it immediately. So it's not really time-critical (it's kind of the same thing like with Lautrec, it takes a little while before it actually happens).

But I hightly recommend doing it at some point (bearing in mind the ^^^^ above warning) as Petrus is a jerk and his spells are overpriced anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
An unusual night at the gates of Anor Londo cathedral...

Ignore the blue phantom, that's my character, but check out the red phantom sentinel! Is this the result of a Gravelord infestation? If so, this is the first time I've ever seen one and it's not even my game! :v:

Although I do ocassionally get the "Disasters are gone blah blah blah" message, but I've never actually seen a "disaster" in action.

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, it was taken with my iPhone as I had to it quickly.

• Locked thread