Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gorefiend posted:

I never once even got gravelord to even work. I ended up saying gently caress it and joining the Darkmoon.

I think the reason Gravelord doesn't work at all is that one, people don't know what the signs look like, or two, the signs only show up in worlds within 10% of your current level and in the same area you're in along with the fact that you have to be alive and in a probably well populated area.

That would be like, Anor Londo, or the Forest

Though apparently Gravelords can infect worlds of Hallow players as well

Edit:

VerySolidSnake posted:

I took a couple of swings at the guy that looks like a marshmellow, and now he's pissed off swinging at me with a giant sword. Should I finish him off or is he worth keeping around?

Why would you do that? Everyone's favorite Knight of Catarina is hilarious!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just discovered what The Pendant gift does.

I hate myself for being too curious before I finished the game. :argh:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Phoix posted:

What does it do? I finished the game with it and I never found a use for it.

I really, really do not want to post this spoiler.

Like, it blows the loving mind.

Apparently, you have to go back to your cell, when you return to the Asylum...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Phoix posted:

This doesn't do anything special with the pendant. Unless you have to do it at a specific point later in the game, going back to your cell just grants you the item to enter the painted world.

Which leads to the massive spoiler, apparently, it lets someone recover memories, the 'someone' being a massive, massive spoiler.

From what I have seen, the spoiler is obvious but only if you read into it from the start of the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Phoix posted:

Can you just say exactly what you think it does? I don't remember any of this happening in the painted world.

Fine,

Remember the Pygmy that everyone forgot? Apparently the Pendant is the Pygmy's, and you are the Pygmy. The pendant is there to help you recover your memories, and it gives you an alternate ending.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gyoru posted:

Pendant's purpose spoilers:
Its only purpose is for trading to the crow for a Souvenir of Reprisal - that's it.

Furtive Pygmy/lore spoilers:
The Furtive Pygmy was the Dark Lord. The rumor that the pendant will awaken your memories as the Furtive Pygmy seen in the intro is false. When you side with the Darkwraiths, you learn the Furtive Pygmy was your ancestor according to Kaathe. The PC is supposed to be the successor of the Dark Lord instead of Gwynn's successor.

Well, gently caress, I've been fooled by rumors?

God dammit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

StringOfLetters posted:

Also, Talismans! There are several.
<25 faith: get the Talisman of Thorlund from Petrus. It has a steady 150 spell-power, but does not noticeably scale with your faith.
25-45 faith: Basic talisman! It outpaces the one above and scales pretty well (B) with your faith.
>45 faith: Ivory talisman; Rhea of Thorolund has it. Starts very low, but scales with an A rating, eventually becoming the best. But not for a long time.
Unexpected bonus: Canvas Talisman, bought for a measly 1000 soulbucks from Patches the Hyena, after he relocates to Firelink and starts selling poo poo he looted off of the dead clerics. It has a higher starting power than the basic one, and scales with an A, although a lower A than the ivory one. It is actually the best. The ivory one might outpace it at stupidly high stat values, like in the 70-ish range, but there is no reason to get that much faith.

There's also the one you can buy from Oswald, which scales off Intelligence instead of Faith!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vastakaiun posted:

Man, getting the Eastern Armor back to the blacksmith was by far the most disappointing moment I've had with the game. I thought I'd finally found a set to replace my starting knight one, but then I find out the loving thing needs Twinkling Titanite for upgrades. :smith:

The hilarious part is that there's another set of armor that's better than your starting Knight's Armor.

Elite Knight's Armor. :hurr: Only cosmetic difference I've seen is that the helm covers your ugly mug.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vastakaiun posted:

It made a bigger impact on my decision to roll a Knight than I care to admit. After about 30 hours, I'm just looking for something different.

I've been listening to clink clank clunk clank since I started. I am still satisfied with my decision 45 hours later.

:shepicide:

Also, I have to start killing Lords.

I'm gonna go see if I can get Darkwraith first, though.

I've already talked to Frampt before going to Anor Londo, so I'm probably hosed.

Tarradax posted:

I asked a while ago and didn't get an answer: Is it possible to leave Anor Lando in the middle and return later? I'm a bit under-level for O&S and I really need to return to the main game area for a while more.

Apparently if you go back to where you started there will be a gargoyle there and you can talk to it to return to Sen's Fortress.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

CoderCat posted:

I joined the way of white covenant, how can I commit a sin? I don't want to do something stupid early in the game and I couldn't find anything online about this.

You sin by breaking a covenant.

Don't think there's really a way to break The Way of the White other than killing a cleric.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Little something that might please some people (by that I mean everyone).

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/17/dark-souls-patch-to-rectify-multiplayer-issues/
:dance:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ColdCock posted:

What's wrong with the Magic Shield spells, I mean other than the abysmally low duration? And what the hell does "Unlimited uses of magic and items" mean?

From what I am aware, Strong Magic Shield makes you completely invincible for the entire duration of 20 seconds.

Even if you're not blocking.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Joe_Richter posted:

So, is there any real reason the elemental weapons are so much better than the stat scaling ones? I mean, considering how useful the elemental damage is anyway, and that you don't have to boost str or dex above the minimum for the weapon, you'd think it'd be the other way.

I guess I'm just slightly peeved at the "wasted" points ive put in str and dex.

Demon's Souls had this issue where pretty much every weapon that mattered had a scaling of Strength, Dex, or Faith of A or S.

Why this was a problem I have no idea. :downs:

Smelly posted:

Could someone post what this says? I'm at work and they have the site blocked. :(

Also, Capra goes down in roughly one firestorm and one greater fire combustion. I love the fact that the people I white (gold) phantom for don't even have to fight anymore. :black101:

vg247 posted:

From Software has announced a new patch for Dark Souls, to address a handful of issues including some glaring multiplayer problems.

The patch details, posted on the developer’s website, have been translated on Neogaf, but apparently list just a few examples of changes planned, with more details to come soon.

Fixes to certain spells and effects:
- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
- Tranquil Walk of Peace
- Ring of Fog, etc.
Unlimited uses of magic and items
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
Adjustments to the player matching conditions
Loading problems when switching between maps

Of particular note is the matchmaking fix, as there have been reports of problems for those trying to find co-op buddies or invade other players, and a change to the Ring of Fog, which has rapidly become notorious for its overpowered use in PvP situations.

Also some poo poo about it being the third patch the PS3 got for this game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

gently caress

Dark Souls: The reason you died was that you weren't careful enough.

Also this post is pretty much this game's catchphrase. Bold included.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy poo poo gently caress the Four Kings. This fight is brutal, even with Beatrice helping you.

Anyone got any advice for these fucks?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When I'm finished with this Spellsword of mine I'm probably going to do a Wanderer start, join Warrior of Sunlight, get Ricard's Rapier. And then fence fuckers to death in Anor Londo while praising the sun with a fire infused sword chucking lightning bolts.

It will be horrifying, and it will be grossly incandescent.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Crowbear posted:

Absolutely.

If you want to crush them easily, just slap on your heaviest armor, cast Iron Flesh if you have it, 2-hand your weapon, and beat the poo poo out of them

Slapping on Havel's armor and knifing the kings to death with a magic sword after class.

It will be the most primitive strategy towards a non-pyromancy character for a boss.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Here's a gimmicky build for anyone interested.

Take all your durability devouring special move items, just grab Havel's and the Crystal Ring Shield and a weapon with a special move like the Drake Sword or something if it's better.

Just go hog wild with it, then whip out your catalyst and cast Repair.

Do it again.

Wacky PvP I bet?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mordiceius posted:

So what Covenants did you all pick?

Am I missing anything?

Gravelord Servant, while an awesome concept, does not loving work at all I swear. I regret even joining it and not even being a Faith build.

Also it has one of the rarest items in the game as a consumable.

Something you might want to note is that Knights and Clerics start in Way of the White.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Houdini posted:

What's the Souvenir of Reprisal?

The token rank up item for the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

Why are you wearing Shadow Armor, guy? That armor is bad!

You know the typical person playing games like these will want to be as ninja-like as possible. It's called Shadow Armor.

Do the math.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vatek posted:

Yeah, those 2 boars at the entrance to the Duke's Archive were a pain in the rear end. Didn't have any pyromancy to work with so meleeing them took a long, long time.

Alluring Skulls. That is all.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

What exactly do those do?

The exact same thing Soul Remains did, distract enemies so you can get an easy backstab or avoid them altogether.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Filthy Monkey posted:

You should see the gamefaqs board. It is full of people using the Uchigatana and the Iaito like they are the only weapons in the game. I mean, they aren't bad, but I don't really find them that particularly remarkable.

Don't you get the Uchigatana by killing the merchant in the Undead Burg? If so that's stupid and you should probably do that when you're about to beat the game anyway.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So I did Four Kings last night under the assumption they had some sort of magic resistance and just equipped my gravelord sword. Did about 80 or so damage a pop two handed and died because I was killing them too slow about 10 times using all my Transient Curses.

Switched to my Enchanted Longsword. 250 two handed. Did it on my first try.
:suicide:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Probably a bad thing, but all my friends who have been playing Dark Souls along with me have replaced words of approval with "Nito".

This game is just a cesspool of things to love.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tonight I'm going to devote myself to finishing this Spellsword playthrough.

That's provided my reckless spending on League of Legends plus work doesn't put me in a not-Dark Souls mood.

And then I'll start that Vit/End/Dex/Faith build with Ricard's Rapier bolsted to +15 and then sunlight blade and then join Warrior of Sunlight.

THEN I SHALL MAKE THEM PRAISE THE SUN, HAVE AT YOU!

Dunno if getting Soliare's armor will be possible to full become grossly incandescent though, how depressing..

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2011

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

smuh posted:

Actually, every version ofthe stray demon

What? There's more than one type? Or do you mean bosses like Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

Whoever designed the walk to the Four Kings battle is a loving shitcunt who needs to have a cockring put in and then sharply pulled out. By me.

I got to King Four then had a couple of lovely rounds, then got hit by a very quick exploding magic then magic grab combo on my latest attempt. Now I have to loving run all the way down ANOTHER time. Just stick a loving bonfire outside - I'm not doing anything except holding circle until I get there. Stupid and annoying.

Would you like a hint for Four Kings?

Slap on your heaviest armor, twohand your best weapon, hug a King and kill him, heal when necessary, proceed three more times. Their swing attacks do absolutely no damage when you're right next to them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pomale posted:

:words:

Let's be fair here, the majority of people who played Demon's Souls and have waited to play this game since it was announced were owners of PS3s.

This would probably explain your multiplayer desert.

I see a lot of summon signs lying around and get invaded enough to not feel lonely, but the game is currently wonky multiplayer-wise and FromSoft stated they would implement a patch to fix this problem 'soon'.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

I'm working this tactic but I might need to go heavier. Cheers. That magic AoE is hosed, though.

Havel's is good enough, as that's what got me through.

Basically just keep your health above half so the magic AoE doesn't kill you outright.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ulio posted:

What a shame I am only at the undead parish but people say that some areas are considerably worse in framerate drops...

Blighttown and New Londo Ruins come to mind...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ColdCock posted:

Sucks. Sorry for repeatedly posting, but these questions keep popping into my head. Once I drop into the Abyss to battle Four Kings, can I swap out my Abyss Ring for something else, or will I die or get kicked out of the Abyss or something?

You will die, with a message instead of "You Died" saying, "The Abyss has taken you"

Keep it in mind when you Warp to that bonfire for Darkwraith covenant related things.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GaistHeidegger posted:

I warp there all the time without the ring without issue.

Can you move around? If so I feel silly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GaistHeidegger posted:

Well if walking up to Kaathe and having a chat counts, yeah.

Taratang posted:

You only need the abyss-walking ring while the four kings are still alive.

Well gently caress. So much for my paranoia.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

waspinator posted:

Starting my belmont run. Got the whip at level 1: will be only using whip and probably faith magics. Streaming it at:

http://www.justin.tv/waspinat0r

It's not a "true" SL1 run. For shame :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Int characters are pretty much the only ones who get acceptable scaling from forged weapons. Slap Enchanted +5 on a weapon and never look back. The Moonlight Butterfly Horn sucks rear end don't get it.

This, while being very, very true, also means you'll have the most boring of grinds for it. You'll need a total of 8 blue chunks for a fully upgraded enchanted weapon. The only thing that drops the blue chunks are those blue golems infront of the hydra or the same enemy in Crystal Cave.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You keep everything you earn from a covenant if you leave it. You can also use everything with the exception of the Warrior of Sunlight and Princess Guard covenant Miracles.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

But just the highest ranks, right? I thought you got to keep the tier 1 and 2 lightning spears for WoS.

Ah, that is actually true!

You can't use Sunlight Spear if you leave Warrior of Sunlight, but you can use the other two. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DKWildz posted:

I've been convinced now to try out Dark Souls from Vinny and Brad on the giant bombast, and a couple livestreams, so after 3 Wal Marts not having it, and 1 used copy at gamestop for $55, I just did what I should have done originally and got it on amazon. Hope to be able to try it out on thursday.

Well I'll just welcome to the game then!

Prepare to die.

• Locked thread