Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you want an emphasis on ripostes and backstabs then you want high mobility and either daggers or rapiers since they have the highest multipliers for those attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Is the resistance attribute as pointless to put points in as it sounds?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Can you parry(as opposed to blocking)while two-handing?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pre-order and shipping chat will never not be terrible.

edit: I don't suppose there is a spell list in the booklet or anything? The wikis are still both very thin and uncomplete regarding spells.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 4, 2011

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The posts from people loving up their game because they couldn't help but murder their traders and helpful npcs are hilarious, keep them coming.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Unknown_PC posted:

One thing to note about pyromancy is that their spell damage scales off their pyro catalyst upgrades and not so much from INT or faith.

Intelligence doesn't boost pyromancy at all, or just less than sorcery?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The swaying, rickety bridges in Blight Town are amazing.

edit: For the bloodflies, wait for them to lunge attack and hit O to dodge backwards, they will wiff and go into a stagger animation and you can light attack follow up for easy kills. Wearing the evil eye ring makes them effectively infinite health regeneration for yourself.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 26, 2011

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Looks like resistance might be a worthwhile stat after all :monocle:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sansviedotcom#p/u/0/Q3wXm214ftk

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Tgent posted:

How the hell do I get the advanced pyromancy trainer to appear? I'm on NG+, she was there first time around, and now she's gone. I've gone away to do other things about 4 times now and now I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game and she's still not showing up. I've killed Queelag, of course, and Ceaseless Discharge. I've sent Laurentius down to blighttown, and then Killed his hollow form. Still nothing. Tried Googling and can't find an answer. Anyone have any tips?

Just a guess but it could be because you have the ascended flame rather than a regular+10 pyro flame which makes her appear.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

coyo7e posted:

That's what I was afraid of, I only kill them when I think that they'll be a threat to where I'm moving, but it's bullshit that most weapons can't reliably hit them. I don't have enough strength for a claymore or axe, although I guess I could try my hand axe that my pyro began with.. I could afford to +5 enchant it. :usmith:

You can use throwing knives, a crossbow, a bow, soul arrow, any melee weapon with an overhead swing, any melee weapon following a backwards dodge and if they glitch out in the floor, they can't hurt you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The zweihander lets you straight up stagger Capra Demon and even Havel too, it really does own.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any reason not to take the Master Key when first starting out?

I wouldn't recommend it for people's first run through the game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Hmm so what are people thoughts on the Lucerne? I want to upgrade it because it looks like a really rude rear end weapon. It seems very hammerish which made that 2h poleax hammer own in the first game.

Polearms have an excellent balance of speed, reach, damage and horizontal coverage, they are really good. The only thing they don't do is combo, although the 2h R2 can hit multiple enemies twice each.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Okay so Gravelording is hella not working. I'm sitting here in Burg waiting for someone to be invade and nothing. It's been an hour. These are consumable and I've already wasted 4... why doesn't this poo poo work?

1, yeah it doesn't work very well atm.

2, you've chosen a lovely place to try it in.

I would go for the Painted World since people are trapped there. You want a difficult, high level area where your sign is easy to find and your gravelord monsters are as annoying as possible.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Apparently not paying attention as you are exiting the game and clicking 'ok' deletes all your save games.

:thumbsup:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The vast majority of game design studios just don't have the talent or vision required to make the stuff that From does, even if they were inspired to try.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The framerate slowdowns are way overstated, only the slug corner of Blight Town is bad enough to impact gameplay and that area is no threat anyway.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I don't know what their deal is with putting beyond poo poo R2s on rare/boss weapons.

Instead of making the rare weapons simple no-brainer upgrades over regular weapons, they gave them extra functionality to play around with. People are complaining but I actually think this was an interesting/good way to go and it's not like they are all terrible.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pyromancy makes the game relatively easy and lets you cheese a lot of otherwise more interesting fights.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Chard posted:

I am convinced that O&S wouldn't be half as challenging if the loving input lag wasn't so bad. I think the AI is choking on them somehow. I just counted, and of 23 attempted rolls, 14 were delayed or got stuck behind my shield. This cannot be patched soon enough, this is what's killing me not the "real game".

I have never seen rolls not register unless you are out of stamina. Also, let go of block before you go to drink your flask or attack. If an input still goes missing, don't let go of block until you have room to breath.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MMD3 posted:

someone was saying there's an easier exploity way to get the Avelyn. Can somebody fill me in on how to go about this?

Just walk(don't run)straight off the bottom after activating the staircase. No timing or quit/load required.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My greatclub+15 is doing ~1350 damage with resins and it's excellent jump attack.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know of any comprehensive testing on which enemies divine and occult damage gets a bonus towards and whether it really is +10% damage?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Feenix posted:

I just bought the first, lowest soul missile I could. I'm at a bonfire and I go to ATTUNE MAGIC and it says I have insufficient slots. My Attunement is at 8. What am I doing wrong?

Your 1st attunement slot comes at 10 attunement.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Znorps! posted:

So I'm pretty sure I suck at pvp. I'm running around with a mix of Ornstiens chest and legs and some gold hemmed head and hands. I got a +5 Fire Zweihander and a +5 Fire Eagle Sheild. The sheild normally blocks everything fine, but when I try to do some pvp I get these guys with swords that never stop slashing and seem to build up the bleed status effect and whatever other status effects they have despite my blocking.

If I do happen to land a hit, I'm doing poo poo damage and never seem to hit anyone hard enough to get a second hit in. My next highest weapon is a +3 lightning falchion. Does my gear just suck for pvp or what? I spent about 2 hours yesterday trying different combinations of equipment in the forest trying to make something click but no luck. The one time I started getting some guy a bit low on health, the other invader that was supposed to help stood by like a douche bag until I got killed, then started bowing. What the gently caress guy?

As of right now, I'm going sunbro. But I do hope to try out some pvp covenants eventually.

As far as stats I'm around the following:

vit: 28
attune:10
end: 30
str: 20
dex: 18
res: 11
int: 9
faith: 9

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Well, the zweihander needs 24 strength to 1hand properly and you have only upgraded it to +5 instead of +10, your vitality and endurance are also on the low side for a pvp build. You can't just turn up at the forest covenant and expect to kill all challengers, you need to learn pvp.

edit: Gold-hemmed and Ornstein sets have zero and below average poise respectively, which isn't ideal for a slow weapon like the zweihander.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 24, 2011

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Is there anything better than the Bloodshield at 3.0 weight? It has to be 3.0 - 3.5 is too much for my build.

The kite shields have better stability. The crest shields are also 3 weight with the various bonuses they bring.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If you have so many souls that you would be angry if you died, put on a ring of sacrifice :ssh:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Since I've seen it mentioned a few times; if there was a bonfire in New Londo, new players could easily end up trapped there without any way to hurt the ghosts.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Feenix posted:

I've beaten Pinwheel, I can see where I can head to the Giants, but can I actually backtrack/ leave the catacombs?

Yes, look around.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bed of Chaos is perfectly straight-foward once you know what you are doing, just like the rest of the game. People complain that the bosses after OnS are all too easy, they complain that there are too many bosses that are beaten by just getting up close and then they complain when Bed mixes things up a bit and (avoidably)kills them a few times.

:qq:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Capra's really only a test of whether or not you've figured out that upgrading your weapon and shield might be a good idea.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Having not played in a month, I just beat Capra first time with 11 vitality, the antiquated set and a target shield. :darksouls:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

notZaar posted:

Is there a good spoiler free guide to help point me in the right direction? The game gives you keys to access new areas which I have no idea where they are located. For example, I just beat Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight-Town. I'm guessing this is some area even lower than the sewers, since I'm still hunting for that drat 2nd bell, but I dont want to start rooting around FAQs and Wikis, that could spoil the experience.

Any door that says "locked" can be opened, so if you come across any that you can't open yet take note. Descriptions on the keys themselves can give you a hint as to where they open.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The collapsing floors in Bed of Chaos collapse before you stand on them and you can use the tree trunks as safe spots. Just make sure that if you have to eat a block that you have room not to get pushed down a hole. It's hard but I've done it without dying before.

For O+S in ng+ I just wrath of the gods Ornstein any time I blocked an attack of his and then finished him off with one swipe of my occult claymore and then stunlocked mega-Smough to death with sunlight spear.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, Lightning is still king, but the patch definitely closed the gap between lightning and everything else, so now it's a matter of preference. Which is good. That said, if you invest in a Normal weapon and hit it with an enhancing spell, such as Magic Weapon or Darkmoon Blade, you will rock everything's poo poo.

tl;dr lightning weapons are just as amazing as they always were, but you're no longer an objectively wrong doodoo-head if you go with something else.

I made a guy that used lightning, chaos, divine and occult longswords to compare and there are plenty of areas and monsters where lightning is not your best option.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

magic, divine and fire - http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades

white chunk is for occult only

Divine+6-9 requires white titanite chunks also.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

School Nickname posted:

Level 92 Knight with a mainly faith build here, asking for some advice with regard to choosing weapons. I'm currently using an Elite Knight Armor set +7-10 with a Silver Knight Shield +5 and a Divine Longsword +10. I'm happy with the armor and shield but my damage output is frankly pathetic with the longsword. Did I make a mistake somewhere not going lightning greatswords like every other person I meet online, or will building Faith some more (currently at 36) make my build worth it?

My DPS was so bad I only beat Seath by sitting back and getting my two sunbro pawns to do the damage while I healed them with Estus Flasks. I want to do more damage, but I really don't like being a lightning greatsword ~elite PvPer~. :smith:

Also, can anyone clarify the difference between Occult and Divine weapons? Reading the wiki gives me nothing but conjecture.

Divine weapons get a damage bonus vs skeletal enemies and prevent skeletons from being reraised by necromancers. With high faith and good weapon selection they are the most damaging weapons available in the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants but for other areas there are usually better options.
Occult weapons supposedly get a damage bonus against divine enemies like silver knights and possibly Gwyn and Gwyndolin etc but from what I've seen they never outperform chaos weapons against those enemies.
You are best off having a well chosen weapon of each damage type since different enemies are weak to different things, with faith builds having full options.

And to the guy wanting help with the item he can't get to in The Tomb of Giants, you need to jump off onto a very hard to see ledge from around where the bottom giant skeletal archer is, just past Patches.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 8, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

edit: nm I was reading the wiki wrong

scaling doesn't change with divine weapons, whereas it can improve when upgrading enchanted weapons with regards to INT

Divine and occult scaling can definitely improve as you upgrade. One of the wikis is particularly out of date so bear that in mind.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I feel terrible for everyone summoning me in the Archives. They want help against Seath, and they get the guy who needs it so, so much more than them :smith:

How am I supposed to do anything about him as a Sorceror who, due to stupidity, has no access to Pyromancy? Nothing I do does anything, and any of the spare weapons I have lying around do even worse than my Moonlight Butterfly Horn.

If you are a sorceror you should have very high intelligence and (crystal)soul spears and (crystal)homing masses that annihilate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cleretic posted:

You'd think that, wouldn't you, but in reality my 44 Intelligence, Crystal Soul Spears and Crystal Homing Masses actually aren't doing much at all to him. They barely even dent his health, and that's assuming they hit and I survive long enough to land multiple.

Did you break the crystal that grants him immortality?

• Locked thread