Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

And what do we say to death?

Please hurry up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Arg why'd I ever click that bonfire at the bottom of the swamp. This is hell compared to world 5.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

drat this thread is moving fast - I've skimmed the last 20 or so pages but couldn't see this.

Is the weapon upgrading the same as in Demon Souls?
The thing that annoyed me about the branching system was that if you went past the single point where you could apply the upgrade you missed it - i.e. if the upgrade point for a sword with X was +3, if you had a +4 sword you couldn't apply the upgrade.
Is this still the case?

From what I can tell you can branch off into the other branches once the weapon is +5, even if it is over 5, what branches are open to you depend on the different cinders(?) that you find and turn in to the blacksmiths. So far I've only found divine and the base upgrade one.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do not join the forest hunter covenant! It is a trap! You just get mauled over and over again by super beasts with giant axes and huge spells. You are not the hunter!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He's also guarding the door to a whole other area. You're probably going to want to get through him eventually (he's pretty easy to take down if you just keep backstabbing him - he really just uses the same set of attacks over and over, and all of them are super easy to dodge and leave him with a huge recovery time).

I'm trying to spoil myself as little as possible so I haven't really read through the thread, but so far in the game I can't quite figure out the difference between being human/hollow. Obviously as a human you can summon player phantoms and be invaded, and while hollow you can be summoned/invade, but since you don't seem to have halved HP anymore when you die, is that the only difference now? I'm just wondering if I should try to become human after dying again, or save my humanity for the item find/curse resist, until I feel like I need to summon help for a boss or kindle a bonfire.

You have to be human to invade now too. Human is the way to be this game around, you can be a white phantom while human too.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo how are people this powerful already? This is insane. What are their builds?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What is with the honor duels in forest hunter attacks? gently caress no don't 1v1 him, there's loving 2 of us and a gang of NPCs for a reason you dickbags.

Motherfucker has a dragon face, he just shot fire out of his mouth! No! Don't bow! Goddamnit!

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 6, 2011

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Below the bonfire in the fire shrine there is an elevator to it. Have fun.

If you don't want to go there there is an entry in the OP for you.

Yeah, I love the solution to curse. You have 1/2 health, now if you want to get rid of it simply go through a gauntlet of creepy loving ghosts with daggers.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Still haven't heard anything so I'm asking again: In Anor Londo, after you invade/kill notYurt to revive the fire keeper, where does his armor spawn?

Second floor of the boss chamber at the far end.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prussian advisor posted:

Where's this "elite knight's armor" that everyone's talking about evidently showing up very early in the game? I'm still meandering around in the Undead Parish after having killed the armored boar and all I have available is the leather armor you get as part of the warrior starting kit and the horrible lovely armor dropped by hollowed soldiers in the Burg.

In the woods. It is well guarded by the way.

I am loving the darkmoon blade covenant. After getting the fog ring from the forest covenant it is a delightful tool when invading the 'guilty'. I show up in my full silver knight gear with shield and my queelag sword and go to town.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

If you're going for achievements she drops a soul you need to forge one of the unique weapons and killing her is one too.

Has anybody used the whips yet? The weakness versus armored foes seems bad, but I can't wait to play Castlevania: Rondo of Dark Souls so I want to know how terrible they are.

I have a divine whip +5 and it has its benefits. For one, it can't be parried. The range isn't anything like it says. It is very much a close range weapon. It is fairly slow. It does have nice reach for things above or below you though, like the flies in blighttown.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hcenvirons posted:

Any tips for getting off backstabs? Even when the enemy hasn't noticed me it seems like I just can't get the positioning right.

Also, will installing the game on my HDD make Blighttown run any better? Jesus christ how did this slow down get past playtesting.

What weapon are you using? Daggers etc have much larger backstab angles than other weapons.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Found the (armor)ninja/shadow armor in Blighttown, looking like a badass and close to my fast rolling butcher sword character from DeS who was in black rags. But I seem to be stuck... is there a boss here? I reached what I think is the end at the bottom, getting rewarded with a fire keeper soul. Not sure what to do from here, any tips? Do I have to go all the gently caress back?

Out in the swamp there is a beach with what looks like spikes coming out of it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Depends how eager you are to fight the stuff that drops it.

I am farming that stuff now in between writing a paper and let me say this. It is rare.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilalien posted:

The reward for 3 invader kills is somewhat nice but goddamn that took me forever to get with all of the crazy people running around that place.

No poo poo, my first 3 kills as a forest hunter was all from straight up badasses accidentally falling over the cliff. That is such a rough covenant. Then again I'm now in Darkmoon Blade so I go solo against them now, but I learned a lot of great techniques and builds by being in the Forest Hunters.

I also had no clue about the ninja and his ring. Ugh.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't believe the sign makes phantoms. From what I understand, it makes enemies in the area you placed the sign have doubled stats, and you get half their souls (and a new eye) if any of those enemies kills them. Otherwise, if they find the sign, they can use it to reverse-summon themselves into your world (where you still get half their souls and a new eye if you kill them, otherwise they get half your souls and the sign is removed). The sign gets placed in three random players' worlds.

Where is it placed though? There is no indication of anything in your world.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stele007 posted:

For +15 you must get the +15 ember, located at the bottom of New Londo Ruins after you drain the water out.

Also, I'm finally finding people to invade in the Duke's Library. What a rush. Seeing that message, "The guilty pay the price," is so satisfying.

:cool::hf::cool: Fellow Darkblade bro.

I've been haunting the Archives all day and got to rank 2 now. Even got a few messages from people.

Title: am i guilty???

re: Yes.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been hit by acid surge in PVP? I've been using it with my +15 pyroflame all day, adding to the punishment of the guilty. Just want confirmation that I am loving them over royally.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

So basically they should have made it not require humanity to turn human/hollow. :saddowns:

Or cost X amount of souls, and you can still keep Humanity rare while making multiplayer a possibility.

Anyone know if you can take other players humanity as the Gravelord if you defeat them after they invade you?

You don't need to be in human form to put down a white sign.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

J posted:

What level are you and what area are you finding the most people to fight? I'm wanting to make a pvp character and I want to make sure not to outlevel where most of the action is.

I leveled too much like a retard and am now level 66, but I'm finding a lot of action in the painting and the archives. I can get some NG+ targets as well in the depths sometimes. The bulk of the action I would assume is around Sens and Anor Londo at the 40s-50s though. 30s would be the woods, depths, and swamp.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^^ Nope.

So I think it's safe to put ":siren:Unless you're dicking around don't put over 18 points into strength or dex because they become totally worthless mid-late game:siren:" in the OP.

Honestly I'm so disappointed. I must have something like 100,000+ souls in Dex that are totally worthless because of the utter superiority of elemental/unique weapons, I'll never get them back and now the game is asking me for 25k+ souls a pop per stat point.

Yeah, no poo poo. I have 30 dex and 25 str and the weapons that I use only require mid teens from either to wield. I'd give all the souls it took to get those stats to delevel myself.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trico posted:

Can anybody else comment on this? Your STR and DEX don't factor in at all for elemental weapons and stuff? I just wanna know if I should bother investing any more into those two stats.

(Man, I think about this game more than I actually play it, I think...)

Find out what weapons you prefer and what you want to wield and put in the minimum required to wield it. Also, endurance is the God stat.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skinny white boy posted:

So what do I do in Anor Londo or whatever it's called? I've been running around her for 30 minutes and made zero progress. Opened every chest and every way leads to a dead end.

If I have to run across the map to go to somewhere else then gently caress this game. Early game was so well designed, why is this late game starting to become a stinker.

I don't know how far in to Anor Londo you are but it requires you to do some roof walking. Also, heh. You think Anor Londo is late game. :smug:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

You can proceed through the area, but if you traverse through white light or approach a bonfire it disappears.

Only some bonfires, and that is because they are behind white lights.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guliani is HOT posted:

So I just started my second dude (wanderer), any character builds out there? There's gotta be some Japanese wiki with a bunch of character builds somewhere right?

Find out what weapons and armor you want. Get the minimum stats required to use them. Put the rest into endurance and maybe some vitality, only up to the level that you should be for whatever area you are in.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok, so I'm finding myself in the rare position of being human. To invade worlds or join other worlds, I just lay the white soapstone/cracked redeye and wait? Is that it? I sure would like to try this online portion of the game.

As a human you can summon others. You can be summoned as a hollow or human.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

So do I just wait here at my summon sign? Nothing's happening... (I am on Xbox if that matters)

You can go gently caress off and kill poo poo, but you have to stay within the general area, and when you are summoned you will have your current HP and spell casts so take that into account.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

So I was reading the last few (thousand) posts in the thread and people were upset that there was no reward for pumping Str and Dex past 18 or so for weapon requirements. What should I be pumping to swing a weapon faster, then? And if I'm not pumping Str or Dex much, does it matter whether I use a spear instead of a Str-scaling weapon?

Most of the info on stats is complete BS. Endurance and Vitality are 2 of the best stats to put into if you aren't going with magic, and once you have enough Str and Dex to wield the weapons you want.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

I just joined Darkmoon after farming the stupid Eyes for Nito's group for a long time and getting jack poo poo. How exactly does it work? I have the blue orb, is it just like a red orb for people with sin? How does the ring work? When and where can I be called?

I wish I'd joined the Darkwraith for proper invading :(

The blue orb works just like the red orb, except for people in human form that are in the book of the guilty. The ring works like the forest hunter ring. If someone is going to challenge Gwyndolin in human form, you will be summoned as a blue phantom to defend, but only on their way to the boss, once they challenge the boss they are safe from you.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So I just made this sword Quelaag's Furysword and this shield Crystal Ring Shield and holy poo poo! I also just found Havel's Armour which is pretty badass. One more thing about the shield, if you hold the parry button it SHOOTS OUT SOME SORT OF TRON DISC THAT COMPLETELY OWNS!. Just gotta be careful as it only has 200 durability.

Apparently the shields damage with that are based upon your weapon held in the right hand. So wield your biggest gently caress off stick and then use the shield attack and watch.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lt_Tofu posted:

So I was running around Undead Parish last night as a human and saw something weird. There was glowing/grey pile outside the bell church on the blacksmith side. I tried to attack it but nothing happened and when I stopped moving some text popped up with "Press X to touch dragon remains" or something like that. It disappeared quickly before I decided to do anything. Does anybody know what this was? I've tried google but nothing is showing up. I have been avoiding as many spoilers/guides as possible but not knowing what that was is driving me crazy.

That was a dragon covenant player, if you summoned them you would have to fight them. If you win you get some souls and a dragon scale.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Hamlet posted:

So, a weapon's stat paramaters don't upgrade with weapons, like they did in Demon's. Does anyone else suspect this of being a programming oversight or something? My conjecture and at least some consensus is that this makes the non-elemental upgrade paths garbage, and makes DEX builds particularly useless.

Can dragon players not invade normally? Why would it be this way

It is more of an honor duel type thing, same as the red soap stone. You lay down the stone and people summon you that expect and want a fight.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

Wait, what choice? I killed the last boss, linked the fire, credits, then the ng+ started. What did I miss?

I didn't even really get an ending.

You can walk out the door and get the other ending.

Also, I just parried Gwynn to death. Take that you soulfire wielding bastard! :black101:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've come full circle and now get to manhandle all the forest hunter covenant people. In the last 2 days I've killed so many I've lost count, and gotten around 800k souls from them alone. The messages I get are classic too.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you want some PVP action, head to the forest area in human form. I am level 110 and I get to kill people from all level brackets. It is amazing seeing little babby drake sword wielders coming at me.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

Assuming that you consider yourself a cleric or have never met Patches before, yes.

Also assuming that you managed to grope your way down to Patches through the 4 giant skeletons on cliffs and 2 hidden archers shooting giant arrows at you the entire way.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Your hand constantly spews reddish-purple smoke/particles while you have it equipped and it takes about 1.5 seconds to do the grab, which adds a bright white glow on top of the red. It's really obvious.

That's why you use it in combination with tranquil walk of peace, with the upgraded dark hand you can get 10 humanity a grab, if they have that much on them.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

No, like I said, they didn't know about the Forest Hunters, and didn't recognize Quelaag's Furyblade. Unless they were wasting their time fooling me (and doing a very convincing job of it), they really didn't cheat and weren't that far into the game. I really can't decide what to do with these souls.

Soul level does not equal progress in the game.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Once you have attacked her you will be forced to fight her to escape. I'm not sure if you can just get the dagger and run, I seem to recall the exit fogging over once I hit her but maybe I'm wrong.

The fall becomes fatal instead of a cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My body count in the forest must be staggering at this point. I've easily gotten several million souls from preying on the forest hunter covenant. Those poor, poor people.

• Locked thread