Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

casual poster posted:

Except that, pre-patch atleast, you need to level up your faith to 50 for big hat logan to give you one of the miracles/sorceries, and I think thats the only way to get it, might be wrong though.

I didn't have to level my faith to 50 and I got all the miracles and sorceries, are you thinking about the sunbros' covenant requirement (50 faith)? You can drive that down too by 5 for each successful assist on a boss, I did it nine times and joined with a faith of 9.

Big Hat Logan does have a small, reasonable intelligence requirement of 10 or 15 before he starts selling you stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Megalixir posted:

So I:m a level 1 darkwraith and I'm trying to find out which is the optimal weapon. Chaos Reinforced Club +4 seems to do more damage PvP than Lightning Reinforced Club +4, but Lightning is 252 Physical. In the status menu, Chaos has 14 more points under R Weapon 2. Can someone explain this? Are the Magic, Occult types good for PvP?

I'm working towards a SL1 darkwraith too, and I have to say, it's actually quite fun. Can't use any bling but there's something strangely cathartic about clearing areas and soloing bosses in starter gear, tattered junk and a handaxe.

What goes for weapons, the handaxe actually seems to be quite nice if you're into travelling light, it weighs little and R1 swings and recovers pretty fast. Plus, wielding two of them looks pretty metal, and with the gold-hemmed gear all should be set for stirring fear in souls of men. So yeah, I think I'll be going for a +5 chaos handaxe and a +5 lightning handaxe. Probably not the most minmaxed optimum out there but hey, darkwraithing in style vs a couple of points of extra damage? :black101:

Daggers are slightly faster but handaxe has a good +50% physical damage base over it. I think the battle axe and reinforced club are really slow (I'd be surprised if a similarly upgraded handaxe wouldn't win a DPS race), and ghost blades would have a better physical damage base but can't be upgraded into lightning/chaos.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

Kiln PvP at sl1, fun times. Heavy weapons and spell users present a chance, rolling into their halberds and Soul Masses/Spears and getting a quick hit in with a Lightning Dagger +5 feels pretty metal. Haven't won any duels yet, though; managed to stabbystab one full Havel dude down to something like 10-20 hp, but lost in the end. Gotta keep practising that dodge, it might eventually be possible to capitalize on said chance. :ese:

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

homewrecker posted:

Which area should I be heading to after getting the Lordvessel? I know that the game is open-ended and that there isn't any definitive path I need to take but after my adventures through Blightttown (which I already whined about earlier in this thread) I want to make sure that I take the most sensible route for a first playthrough.

If you're still wondering about which covenant to pursue, I compiled this helpful and unbiased guide to help you choose.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I've never experienced this firsthand but people claim that this happens when an NPC aggros the active player. The game doesn't want you to slaughter other people's npcs, because that would Really dick them over, so they appear invisible to other players online.

NPCs appear as ghostly figures to phantoms, similar to bloodstain ghosts. I think I've encountered a completely invisible Darkmooner once, I was invading and the host just started attacking air and losing health. Didn't know what the gently caress but being disconnected from the invader sounds plausible.

edit: By the way, you can bait the host into attacking NPCs. Here's the ultimate dick move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhDGymDz8sQ

Moskau fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 16, 2011

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

gravyflood posted:

Is there some trick to damaging Seath? I died to him, worked my way through the prison tower bit, and faced him again. Then, I threw a lightning spear at him. He seemed to instantly heal the damage.

In order to beat him, shatter the crystal in the back (in the room you fight him in) and you can damage him.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Crap...got about 90,000 souls stuck in the Abyss, and I cannot for the life of me beat Four Kings.

If you just want to get the souls back for now, try picking your bloodstain up and quitting from the ingame menu. When you reload your save, you should spawn right in front of the fog door. If the ingame quit is disabled for whatever reason (and the game is not currently saving), you could also try logging out from PSN.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Any tips for Seath? I can't find a safe place where I'm not getting cursed (seriously, gently caress that mechanic) or flattened by his tail.

You don't necessarily have to go behind him and risk groundpounding. Just stand in front of him so you can see his upper body (= not too close). In this setup, he'll always try to crystal breath you. When he starts "writhing" to charge it up, he's committed to it and stops moving; just run to either side tail and whack away/heal/whatever.

The crystal breath should always miss you, although if your position isn't optimal the side tail's movement might push you into the crystals for a second. Still, that shouldn't really be a problem health/cursewise.

When he starts moving again, back down and repeat. This method should beat him with no damage to you, even on subsequent NG cycles.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

SamBishop posted:

Man, this poo poo is deplorable. I guess I can understand someone wanting to do it for the offline single-player once they'd gone through the game a million times, but actively loving with other people online when the game kinda already does that with invasions in the first place is really terrible. There's absolutely no justification for it. What a shame that 360 players have to put up with that poo poo.

Making a decent client-side workaround for it shouldn't be too complicated though.

(The sum of your current stats + class-specific start level) should always equal (sum of class-specific start stats + current level); if clients checked that, they could easily ignore connections to peers reporting level 32 characters with 500 in every stat, effectively dropping a hacked character offline.

Someone with hacked but level-appropriate stats wouldn't be caught, but that's not as big of a problem. No idea why something like this hasn't been patched in already.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

I have concocted a foolproof method for killing him no matter what your gear or ability to dodge his slow-yet-deadly attacks. Anyone else having trouble - ...

Similar method but with less setup - you just need a weapon, pretty much any will do. Also, raspberry jam to go with the cheese.

Go down to Darkroot Garden, and go to the tower without opening the door. You can see Havel through a small crack between the wall and the door. Hit him through the door, back down a bit to avoid his attack, wait for him to cool down and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

SMP posted:

I haven't touched this game for a few weeks now because I think I hosed myself over. I had just met the praise the sun guy when I met someone online who helped me (read: did all the hard work) ring the first bell. Now I guess I'm severely underleveled or I don't have any good gear because the knights in the church absolutely wreck me. Is it possible to recover from this? I made it back to Firelink at least.

I really love Dark/Demons Souls but I'm absolute poo poo at them :(.

Levels/gear help in dealing and reducing damage but there's another way - avoiding damage altogether. Just pay attention to the surroundings, observe the enemies and learn what moves they have at which range and how they telegraph them, and pick your fights.

If you're having trouble fighting a specific enemy, it's less about level/gear and more about just not being used to their tricks. I don't think it's too far-fetched to say that those knights have wrecked most of us on our first playthrough. That's Dark/Demons Souls - you run into an obstacle and die, retry, die, retry, die.. and eventually you figure out how to win. Then you run into another obstacle and repeat the process. :)

• Locked thread