Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
This thread sure does move fast (I leave for a few days and suddenly there are over 500 pages!), but I'd like to help any fellow Hollows out if I can.

I started a series of boss guides on Youtube, the emphasis being on safely soloing the bosses and offering different strategies besides "Do better", "Level up", or "Upgrade". This includes an analysis of the boss' move set, and potential exploits and safe spots.

Part zero features a gentlemanly fisticuffs duel with the Asylum Demon and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPO-hceKp0

Part one features three easy ways to fight the Taurus Demon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6CR_fexJNU

Part three will be the Bell Gargoyles, I've got it recorded already. Those guys...are not easy without white phantoms or pyromancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Lotish posted:

Thanks for doing this. That was educational, especially the bit about cheesing the Taurus. Two quick questions, though:

Did you use the Master Key to go straight for the Dragon Crest shield in the Valley of the Drakes? If you were comfortable using another shield, would you (question 2) agree that taking the black firebombs gift would be worth making the fight with the Asylum Demon shorter? I don't know what sort of resistance the Asylum Demon has against fire, but those bombs do a ton of damage and you start with 10 if you take the gift. You just then have to play the game without shortcuts at the start. Alternately you can start as a thief and do both!

Yes, I used the master key to pick up the Dragon Crest shield early, but the Hollow Soldier Shield is super effective too. And yes, the Asylum Demon is very flammable, but since there isn't really a point to fighting him that soon, might as well punch his butt...to death!

My guides will make sure to include the locations of pertinent items so that the bosses can be beat using the items leading up to them (e.g. using a halberd for the Gargoyles, Alluring Skull for the Capra Demon and so on).

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

waspinator posted:

Desire to LP Dark Souls...

I'd also love to do an LP of Dark Souls, quite a lot actually. I haven't been quite as impressed / obsessed with a game in a long time. In fact, being bereft of a PS3, I actually watched 4 LPs of Demons' Souls - Squint's run, Test-0 (I think) fisticuffs run, WeaponBoy's NG+ run and also a full video walkthrough on Youtube. It was the best game I never actually played!

I wonder if there is a novel way to combine efforts or present different LP styles in January? Multiple threads don't really work, my Darksiders run ended up being poorly timed with another thread that started in between the recording of the first 4 episodes and posting to SA.

That being said, I love watching people play video games and if any one has any Dark Souls videos to post (like that awesome 90 minute speed run or Vergil PvP fighting) then do it!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

waspinator posted:

You can feel free to watch any of my archives!

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r/videos

Sweet! Ever since discovering the world of LPs and Pro Starcraft 2 videos (i.e. Day[9]) I haven't had to watch regular TV in years now!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I have uploaded the next episode of my boss guide. This one covers the Bell Gargoyles and includes an analysis of the boss' attacks and how to beat them solo with only items found around the Parish/Undead Burg. Still a pain in the butt, and can be made much easier with help or just coming back later, but if it can help any fellow Hollows out then my job here is done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmztQ1nn0_s

Next up is the horrible Capra Demon! (Note: I can confirm that Alluring Skulls have no effect on the Capra Demon...muh...and even the dogs seemed to ignore them. If anyone can get a video guide on how to properly distract the dogs with those things I'd love to see it!)

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Has anyone found out a use for the large stone door in the Centipede Demon's room?

I'm aware of the cave exit, as well as the other door that is used by +2 Chaos Servants, but haven't found anything on this obvious large door (resembles the stone door in Firelink Altar).

Maybe it's nothing. If so, that would be disappointing, but the mystery is part (maybe most actually) of the thrill of this game. If nobody knows for sure, just spread ridiculous rumors for some video game secret nostalgia!

Maybe you get to play as Luigi...

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I've been reading this thread for about 200 pages or so, as well as keeping up with the subreddit and wikis, but haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Tomb of the Giants has 6 Eyes of Death that can be found of corpses and not just the 3 behind the Titanite Demon near the coffin-porter.

The other set of 3 Eyes of Death is found on a body near the start where Pinwheel's room is. There is an area where you can drop down (that has a long ladder to climb back up). Going down the ladder leads to the cliffside that goes towards the first bonfire, but climbing up leads to a landing with a skeleton, then another ladder, then a drop down back to the top of Pinwheel's room. The Eyes are on top of a ledge in the "landing" between the two ladders.

Also, the Gravelord bonfire is still useful! Go back and use the coffin-porter after Nito is killed and it will always appear in the Gravelord bonfire room and take you back to the Catacombs!

Finally, does anyone have any idea what, if any, purpose the large door in the Centipede Demon's room serves?

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
My video guide for the Capra Demon is now available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FcxQJRVZg

The crux of the strategy here is taking out most of the luck factor for squishier characters by using the Aural Decoy spell which can distract both the dogs and Capra himself. I tried Alluring Skulls, but that didn't work at all. The Capra seems more interested in pounding you than staring at pretty sparklies.

Aural Decoy and a solid shield is definitely the way to go!

Additional note: Does no one here jump over the banister of the spiral staircase in Anor Londo to get from the interior bonfire to the O&S boss room faster? I hear people saying the fastest route has you fighting something like 3 Silver Knights, but this method reliably has you only fighting one (at the base of the spiral staircase). I'll try and record a quick video of the part I'm talking about and post it later (probably also post the location of those extra 3 Eyes of Death in ToG too).

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Shlapintogan posted:

So I just got platinum. Now I can start with the SL 1 run and other gimmicky bullshit that is bound to crash and burn when I finish Anor Londo.

Congrats! Internet High-Five! :hfive:

I just finished 1,000 pointing it and have also started my SL1 run, yay!

PvP Anecdote: So I was getting summoned into the Forest to fight and was using a fog ring, which is useful on a SL1 character. The host kills me in three hits. This isn't too surprising. I don't have any great magic yet and just an axe. Of course, there was some lag that mysteriously negated my shield, but I digress.

Naturally, butthurt despite winning, the host sends me an "encouraging" message about Fog Ring usage. I get summoned again, and lo and behold, it's the same guy! Deciding to "fight fair" this time, I run at him naked and Fog Ring-less. Another blue phantom arrived as I started to fight him and we kicked him off a ledge. Wouldn't you know, his internet connection failed as he was falling to his death? What serendipitous timing!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I finished my video guide for the Moonlight Butterfly! It can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYvRPBtq-AM

Although this boss isn't very hard (compared to others), I feel it necessary to do an analysis anyways - there's nothing worse than getting stuck on something, asking for help, and getting responses like, "I killed that guy on my first try without getting hit, hur!"

So, in the off chance that someone is having trouble killing the Moonlight Butterfly, there is hope! Her name is Beatrice (or just Firebombs)!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Cobalt60 posted:

Something about parrying...

I see you've already beat Gwyn, but my non-parrying advice would be to just cheese him by running over to one of the large pillars in the middle of the kiln and abuse the ridiculous reach on the Demon Spear. Sure, he resists lightning, but you can hit him through the pillar. As long as you strafe around and keep the pillar in between the two of you, he can't grab you or jump at you, or combo you...or anything really.

On NG+, though, I totally parried him.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I have finally beat the 4 Kings on my SL1 character! Yay! What a huge pain!

Now I can spread chaos to the noobs in the Burg and Parish. I appear as a spirit of vengeance, but always leave a gift before stealing their sweet, sweet humanity.

First victim walked away with a lightning spear (should make the Taurus Demon fight a lot easier for him), and the second walked away with a Drake Sword. All of my extra souls will be going towards making some nifty +5 Shields. Gifts and death to everyone!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Demtor posted:

Soooo... your awesome. But how the hell did you manage to do that?? :confused: I needs details. Just get a few people to help in co-op or something?

As others have said, equipment is really important and I had no interest in a "fair" fight so I got my +15 Pyromancy, Iron Flesh, +2 Estus (with 20 charges), Crystal Ring Shield, Havel's Armor, Ring of Favor, and +5 Lightning Ax (one of the few weapons a SL1 guy can use) and just crystal blasted them to death.

Unfortunately, it's still luck-based because they can spam grabs and purple magic all day long if they want.

Santa Smough's unite! I think "present death" would be a good motto, I do love a good double entendre.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I would love the Sunlight Warriors to be able to get a Gold Eye Orb that forces your jolly co-operation upon another player (like a friendly invasion). It would be even more awesome if it activated when someone was near death and sinless and then made them invincible until the Gold Phantom appears to save the day. They could get a message like, "The power of the sun strengthens the innocent."

Alas, I can dream.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Part 5 of my boss guide is now available - the target this time is the Gaping Dragon.

It can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cnE4GxSHw

Like the previous videos, this boss guide focuses on analyzing the boss' moves, how to avoid them, suggested items from the nearby stage and contingencies for common oversights/mistakes (like the Channeler, in this case). Hopefully, this guide can entertain or help someone fight alone against this monstrosity!

Also, I'm still eagerly awaiting whatever news comes from Namco and my SL1 invader continues to spread presents and murder to all!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I know this is my own fault, but Skyrim is work. I do enjoy it, but my gaming OCD demands I read every book I find in the game. I reached a bookshelf in a side area two days ago and spent the next two hours reading through everything.

The best thing about Dark Souls is the mystery, not the difficulty and combat (which are both great). When was the last time you actually felt the oppressive face of the unknown staring at you?

Also, my theory on Ash Lake: The archtrees that make up Ash Lake can be seen in the intro, and the pile of dragon corpses that Seathe is on is also in this area. Furthermore, the Witch of Izalith and her firestorms appear to be burning this same general area.

Conclusion: Ash Lake is the battlefield for the last fiery massacre of the dragons. The lake is not water but actually the immolated remains of the last dynasty (Dragons) before the age of fire (Gwyn and friends). Lordran seems to have been built on top of this vast ancient battlefield.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
The next part of my boss guide is up! This time I fight Quelaag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCbHMraC4U

As a bonus, I also fought while cosplaying as Mildred:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5Yc2RWmXE

The next video will be a bleeding strategy for the Stray Demon.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Does anyone have a decently sized version of the jolly co-operation image? I would very much like to print it out, frame it, and give it as an especially nerdy Christmas present.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the one in the OP is the biggest one that exists. I guess it could be vectorized and blown up thought.

That's alright, I'll probably just print it out at a slightly smaller size (compared to if a vector source could be found). The novelty is enough.

It's for my brother. I recently helped him get his last achievement for Dark Souls, which was, through hilarious circumstances the Darkwraith Convenant one. This meant beating NG++ 4 Kings. After about a dozen attempts, that just isn't really reasonable or possible (the Kings supposedly get a health boost in co-op :(). So he started a fresh character and I pulled out my SL1 Darkwraith and we co-oped through the whole game to the 4 Kings and after two nights beat them! Woot! Now he has all of the achievements AND a SL1 Darkwraith for ideal griefing fun.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Part 7 of my boss guide is up; I kill the Stray Demon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIQ2cnXu7Cc
The most important thing in this fight is to use a bleeding weapon, a strategy which I use to beat him pretty quick. I also show the location of the free morning star in Firelink in case anyone missed it.

I also included a bonus video of a naked character fighting the Stray Demon with just the base stat version of the morning star to prove its effectiveness. The bonus here also shows how to dodge both versions of his AoE magic explosion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqicbQoSnE

Dark Souls story time:

So I'm playing through the game with my friend David (rather, he's playing and I'm watching/mocking him...so pretty much a Monday night) and he finally beats the Painted World. I bet him that I could start a new character and get to his bonfire in Anor Londo in an hour. Then I did. Then he was sad about all of his hours of progress to that point.

The best part is that, naturally, since weapon drops are inversely proportional to your desire to use them, I managed to get a Channeler's Trident off of the first guy in the Parish. In order to use it on my new mage character, I had my brother co-op with the Trident guy, dropped it and gave it to him, then logged in with my mage and summoned my brother so he could drop my Trident back for my mage.

Then we both got Sacks.

Dark Souls.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Schwartzcough posted:

Nobody really knows. It's suspected that the covenants part of the game was kinda rushed, and you were originally supposed to be able to warp to him for the gravelord servant covenant (since you can warp to most covenant leaders), but the warp point only shows up after he's dead, so it's pointless.

This is one of the downsides to a thread with over a hundred gazillion replies, a lot of little things get lost. About 400 pages ago (not even joking) I made the observation that if you activate the coffin teleporter after killing Nito it will always be in the boss room as a shortcut up into the Catacombs.

At about the same time, I had posted a cool shortcut trick in Anor Londo, the one where you can jump off the spiral staircase to avoid all but one of the Silver Knights when running to O&S (and all of them if you're quick) because some people were having trouble getting back to O&S quickly. It got ignored for for about 20 pages then someone else posted a speed run video and specifically mentioned the staircase jump as being awesome and unique.

I was just trying to help some Hollow brothers out. :(

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

NuckmasterJ posted:

I poked him many times in the butt with my +6 halbred of doomsauce, all he did was whack me with his tail. It's difficult to poke him in the arse once my suckbro get himself killed though, lol.

I don't know if you need any more help, but I'll offer my own super awesome (might be biased here) video guide for the Gaping Dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cnE4GxSHw

The best thing to remember about the Halberd is that by backstepping and then attacking you get an overhead chop which makes it much easier to hit the Gaping Dragon's tail.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Puckanas posted:

Awesome weapon, I didn't expect to get it this playthrough, this is about the best melee weapon for an intelligence build, right?

I'm interested in picking up the Moonlight Greatsword on my 50 INT Mage, but would like a list of all the Dragon Scale locations, the ones I can think of off hand are:

- 2 Hydras
- 2 Zombie Dragons
- Chest in Blighttown Swamp
- Hellkite Dragon
- 1 on shoreline near Lake Hydra
- 2? in the log in the beach of the Lake
- ?

I know there's a few more, but I'd like an actual count of the locations so I can plan to have enough Scales without having to grind for them. For context, I'm co-oping through the game with my brother so we're sharing a lot of gear. He's full strength and I'm full intelligence. I've already gifted 2 Dragon Scales for his Dragon King Great Ax, but I'm sure he can spare a few if need be.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Scrooged posted:

I ask because 360 now boots you from the game if you join a party.

You can still use Private Chat. This is what I've done for the last two weeks co-oping with my brother through the game. It it tons of fun and is almost like cheating because of the relative drop in difficulty (note that we've both 1,000 pointed the game at this point).

Just put your summon signs down at an otherwise non obvious area and use the refresh trick*. Shouldn't take more than a minute to get everyone together and playing.

*=The person who is trying to summon can put down their own sign and then cancel it to refresh the signs around the area if you don't see the appropriate one right away.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Mostly done with my Dex/Int build...

...By the way, playing the game with only 10 vitality just so you can have access to all your toys sooner sure is a thrilling way to play. I highly recommend it!

10 Vitality? Are you mad?

By which I mean, you wasted two perfectly good points in vitality! (assuming you started as a sorcerer)

My 50 Int mage does ridiculous damage too which is awesome. Currently rocking a +5 Moonlight Greatsword and +5 Enchanted Estoc for turtling (considering my stamina bar is longer than my health bar).

By using Dusk Crown (+20%), Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring (+50%?), and Power Within (+40%ish), my Crystal Soul Spear was doing around 1800 damage.

This makes me want to take the dangerous die instantly/do great damage model two steps further by adding the Red Tearstone Ring (+50%) and the Crystallization Catalyst (adds some amount of damage, I'll guess 25% for now until I have actual numbers).

With this setup, you have a ten second window (in between the Redstone kicking in and Power Within killing you) to cast spells with something like a 185% damage boost. Assuming proper timing with a Crystal Soul Spear and Crystal Homing Soul Mass at the same time I wonder how damage that would do...

...I need to do this for science!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Dark Souls story time!

I was taking my high DEX, no shield character through the Painted World and used a few of my Cracked Red Eye Orbs for giggles. I ended up invading a dude who was clearly on his first time through the area, but had made it to the undead dragon and killed it. So we spar and I murder him, which still feels great, especially not using a shield like I have for every other character.

Then I get a message from him. I think to myself, "will this finally be hate mail?" Previous to now, I've been very lucky with messages on Xbox Live from Dark Souls. As close as I've got to hate mail was a dude that was incredulous about my SL1 invader but begrudgingly thanked me for the Black Knight weapons I left behind as an offering before the fight. But I digress.

He messages me asking if I could help with the level and the boss. Of course I can, we're all sunbros at heart, right? He summons me, we wreck the Painted World including the horrible wheel skeleton traps. I get toxic from a tumor dregling and have no moss to cure it. He messages me to separate and heal and he'll resummon me. What a nice gent! We do just that, murder Priscilla, get her tail and all is well.

Fast forward an hour and a half after I've taken a break, I come back and throw a sign down at O&S and who should summon me but my good ol' Painted World buddy! The next chapter in the story ends with a very dead O&S and more messages back and forth as I explain how to find the vendor to get Ornstein's sweet armor.

Dark Souls! :neckbeard:

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I have started an archery character. Bows only, no shields, no magic, no pyro (final destination). The only other weapon allowed is bare fists (just to be able to backstab and kick people around).

His name is Archariot. Later on I facepalmed when I realized I should have called him David Bowie. So...I'll call him that anyways. Pumped DEX and VIT, using a +7 Longbow and +6 Pharis Bow at the moment, might make elemental bows for giggles. Souls are split between upgrading, leveling and most importantly buying more ammo. I always keep 999 wooden arrows, but Large are definitely where it's at before Anor Londo.

Some findings: You can start the game as a ranger (I think that's the name) that comes with 30 arrows. You only need 16 to beat the Asylum Demon.

And, if you have ever wondered to yourself, "Is it possible to solo the Capra Demon with only a Longbow and no shield?" The answer is yes. :black101:

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Tyskil posted:

I will never, ever regret making my DEX based fencer ninja fat.

I've actually been thinking of starting this exact character, except with crossbows. I figure I could just use the binoculars trick and some practice to snipe things, and the crossbow's lock on thing would be much better for when poo poo decides to not die before it gets to me. Plus, you know, Avelyn. Would that be a "viable" build?

I think I'll include Crossbows on my Archer too, just because I've never used them before, but not as main damage dealing weapons. The reason being that, although not immediately obvious, you can dodge roll while aiming with the bow which includes canceling your readied shot even if using the lock-on mode.

Essentially, with about 20-25 DEX, even the dirt cheap wooden arrows do around 113 damage to Hollow Soldiers at close to medium range, even more with head shots. I don't regret giving this character the Leon Kennedy haircut, because the Undead Burg is basically Resident Evil 4 with the setup; you stand still trying to line up head shots on zombies (or not-zombies) and roll out the way if things get too close.

Another fun fact (that was mentioned here earlier, but I'll confirm as being awesome): When I soloed Quelaag (I refuse to count Mildred's performance as "help"), you can, in fact, stun lock her by repeatedly shooting arrows into her squishy human part! :dance:

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Drox posted:

Yeah, headshots do more damage. If the thing you're shooting is able to take the extra damage, there's usually a little blood spurt similar to bleed or backstab damage and a special recoil animation.

Exactly this, which is why the first part of the Burg seems so much like Resident Evil 4. Head shots are basically the way to get critical hits with bows. A lot of enemies have heads that can take extra damage, even bosses like Taurus Demon and Quelaag who can be stun locked because of the recoil animation on a successful head shot.

TL;DR Dark Souls is an awesome first person (or over the shoulder) shooter.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I just completed the hardest fight I've had yet in this game and it feels pretty good. O&S downed solo, with no shield, and only a bow for offense.

It took probably about 12 tries, and the fight was over as soon as Super Smough came out because one enemy is trivial with a long range weapon, but holy crap, kiting Ornstein while dodging Smough's hammer was not pleasant.

But I did it, yay! :dance:

If anyone if as stupid as me, the advice I'd give is to stay close to Ornstein. When in close range he will use his very slow and easily avoided spear combos. When you start moving away is when the magic teleporting lunge BS starts to happen. This also makes the fight more intense because you have only a bow and are mere feet away from these gigantic bosses that can flatten you quick.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Sumadartson posted:

Wow. It's such a shame you don't get trophies for stuff like this. Stuff like "bow master" for beating a major boss with bow only would be great. Are you getting the darkmoon bow? Seems like an obvious gadget to get for a bow build.

I'll probably change my Longbow into a Darkmoon Bow eventually. For anyone wondering about the Longbow versus Pharis' Bow, the scaling on Pharis' Bow overtakes the Londbow at about +9. At +10 it has maybe 10 more attack power, plus the benefits of a slightly faster firing speed, a longer range (which means more damage), and you look awesome when wielding it. Large arrows are currently pulling 125-200 damage on the Anor Londo enemy mobs and was plinking away 99 health at a time to little Ornstein.

Also, Pharis' Bow can be used without lockon easily using a little trick I discovered. After hitting the fire button, your character is locked into the firing animation but you can still change his/her orientation with the left stick. This means that by firing and then holding the stick foward, your dude will face where the camera is pointing. This makes manual non-zoomed-in aiming much faster and more accurate! I was able to knock the silly Iron Golem off his stupid tower by using this to free aim on his ankles between ax swipes.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Ixjuvin posted:

You can actually change your orientation mid-attack with a number of weapons, most notably great hammers. Havel isn't doing anything you can't.

Also you are awesome and crazy, I have no idea how you are going to kill Gwyn.

About Gwyn, I don't know yet, but it is possible to kite him around pillars all day (that's how I beat him the first time). Another possibility (one that works on Silver Knights) is to parry then switch to a bow and fire one shot then quickly roll away.

I don't know how effective that will be against mister fiery-sword-yet-weak-to-fire himself.

And as for bow breaking yes, it can be a problem. I have just the two bows, but since one broke in the middle of the O&S fight, I'll probably invest in some repair powder. For reference, a repair powder heals 100 points of durability damage and the bows only have that much to begin with.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
The adventures of David Bowie, the no shield, bow only for a weapon character continues!

On his latest adventure, he wandered into the Abyss and massacred the Four Kings on his first try. Mostly Havel's armor and a Wolf Ring for added poise. Get in that King's face and pump him full of arrows! At +14 The Pharis Bow gets about 115 damage with Large Arrows against the Kings. Chug all of the estus. Switch to humanity, end up burning 6 to stay alive. The first half goes poorly, he's knocked down by purple magic balls and grab attacks numerous times, but Bowie just gets back up. Not even 3 simultaneous Kings can keep him down!

I'm coming for you, Gwyn...

And about Lautrec: My friend just got done with that part. After dying about 5 times he asked for a hint. I said, "Mario Kart". He thought I was joking. I wasn't. After about three laps with him in first place, Lautrec and friends got stuck in a pile up and, wouldn't you know it, they all explode with Greater Combustion. We always knew we watched the sport for the crashes.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I definitely want to do the LP and have been planning it for a while now. Of course, I'd want to see if Squint is interested since he's the reason I got into Demon's Souls in the first place.

Ideally, I'd like to have multiple playthroughs going at the same time, the main one being a more balanced weapon master approach showing off as many weapons and spells as possible. Probably up the interest by collecting all of the weapons and and try out each of them at least once (instead of just sticking to a straight sword or halberd the whole time).

The main playthrough would be recorded live with commentary with my friend GuardMomHeart (we've done the rest of our LPs together) and would go towards the Dark Lord ending because I think that is much more interesting, plus it would mean dabbling into Darkwraith territory.

Hopefully, like the DeS run, WeaponBoy or Test-0 could contribute gimmick/in-depth runs for fist weapons only and the like. I'd also love to end each video with an amusing PvP moment since the DeS LP was run offline and was missing that aspect of the game. Maybe good ol' Waspinator would like to throw in some cosplaying chicanery?

The rest of the format of the run would hopefully be dictated by the thread, which would be a cool change since the last major LP we did was Darksiders which was a victim of unfortunate timing (another LP started a few weeks before ours and a lot of the thread posters were there instead).

I would also supplement the appropriate videos with my boss guides to make it more of a helpful walkthrough/guide. I'm also thinking about recording a David Bowie run now that I've proven to myself it's possible to solo Capra, O&S, and Four Kings using a bow only and no shield.

Okay, wall of text over, I get really excited about Dark Souls!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I just finished my boss guide video for the Iron Golem (part 8 of the series) and it can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiRXu-Bnko

Like my other videos in the series, it tries to fully explain how to beat the boss and uses strategies that revolve around the equipment found in the level so grinding is never required. Remember, it's important to not make suggestions like, "upgrade, get hit less, be better" when giving advice. When I tried to find tips on parts I was stuck on, this was always super frustrating.

The next video will be one of my favorites, Ornstein and Smough. I will be doing both versions of the fight for that one; one with big Orny and one with big Smough!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, you can always be more specific than that.

This is what I mean. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm stuck and need some help, I like a little more detail. Also, the other reason is that many strategies are just equipment related (i.e. go +10 a shield and +5 lightning a weapon and hit them until their hp is 0 before yours is) and aside from 4 Kings, they don't have to be.

An easy boss guide to the whole game would be, summon two phantoms and watch them kill the boss. Works nearly every time, but is less useful for people like me who can be stubborn about boss fights. Once I start to fight a guy alone, I have an OCD urge to finish him without assistance. To each their own, though!

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Fuligin posted:

I'd say it's closer to a sadistic Legend of Zelda or actiony-Diablo than a typical RPG, if that helps.

This is pretty accurate. To expand, Dark Souls is the kind of game where it is technically possible to dodge or block every single attack at the game, meaning that (although unlikely) with immense skill and patience it is possible to beat the game with just your fists and no armor. Do note that bare knuckles do only 1 or 2 damage, so this scenario is...not recommended. Here's a video I did of the first boss with fists only anyways! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPO-hceKp0

You, as a player, will have to "level up" with the experience from playing, rather than just dumping time into a certain stat and expecting the margin for error to disappear.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Test-0 posted:

It's disappointing they completely took out the ability to level up strength to do more damage with bare fists.

Well, there's always the awesome and impractical Dragon Bone Fist...

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

ChibiSoma posted:

And then on the other end of the spectrum are folks like this guy, who I believe is a goon. Good stuff for the bosses from him. Actually helped me out with the Capra Demon quite a bit in regards to where the hell I should be at and what I should be doing. Breaks down bosses by attacks, gives hints as to what gear helps out in fights, etc.

Hey, that guy is me! :D

I'm glad the videos helped you murderate Capra. I've actually posted all of my boss guides as I made them into the thread, but considering the staggering volume of responses it's no surprise a few got lost (I can't believe I was looking at this thread back when it had only 300 pages...ah, memories).

My next boss guide is for Ornstein and Smough and I've already recorded all of the footage and done the majority of the editing. It is quite lengthy (half hour) and shows how to do both fights (Orn first, Smough second and Smough first, Orn second) without summoning help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I just finished my boss guide for Ornstein and Smough. It is quite lengthy and goes into very specific details on both versions of the fight. The first half covers little Orny and big Smough, the latter half covers little Smough and big Orny.

My strategy uses the Eagle Shield and Lightning Halberd and no summoned help (not even Solaire).

This would have been done weeks ago, but you know how things always crash the instant you get done recording 30 minutes of voice over...

Anyways, enjoy!

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUwuMC0ucb0

• Locked thread