Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I know I'm way behind, but I just beat the Taurus Demon. Holy poo poo. This loving game.

I suppose I'm supposed to double back now that I've talked to the knight dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Keep going, you can open up a shortcut and
you should keep going anyway. You've almost entered the main game. :)

But the dragon! :saddowns:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I feel so behind everybody, I'm still stuck at the Parish. :(

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
What's the ebst way to kill the Bridge Dragon if I started off as a Sorceror? It's really annoying running through the upper burg just to get to the lower burg every time.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I have a few questions about character building.

Right now I'm playing a character I started off as Sorceror (this is my first), but I'm also using an axe as well as magic. I couldn't tell you what my stats are from memory.

My questions is: are sorceror builds which also dabble in physical weapons really viable? How important is in/maxing in this game, anyway? And can somebody link that PDF which was basically an extensive guide to the game? I feel like I'm building my character badly and I'm going to end up at a point where I'm just unable to continue.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

smuh posted:

This was way back last page, but I'd just like to note that the giant rat has a unique animation when you do the drop attack on it so I'd say it's definitely meant for you to kill it by coming in that way. Also it loses a LOT of HP from the drop attack, so the rest of the fight is quickly over.

Well, if I've been using my sorcerer magic and I see a giant-rear end rat under me, drat right I'm going to just plink at it until it dies. I did the same thing to the wall-hugger in Blighttown.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Wow, I'm kind of confused at some of these level numbers. I only just hit 30 in Blighttown.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

That feeling at the very end of the game where you're back at Firelink Shrine and every single NPC you've met thus far has gone Hollow and left, and you're just there alone and that music starts to play.

This is the most regretful I've ever felt while playing a video game.

Well that is until you see Kingseeker Frampt sleeping in the corner like a complete dope.

Uh. Aheh. Heh. Could you maybe spoiler things like that in the future?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

Whoops, sorry. Three months since the release date, I didn't think it would be a problem.

This is Dark Souls we're talking about here. :v:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
What's the proper area to get summoned for Quelaag? I want to shoot some spells at her while helping someone else.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I need a build critique. Right now I've been using the crimson roes set with a balder shield and a +5 regular battle axe, although most of my damage is actually coming from sorceries (I got the tin catalyst.) I'm about to head into Sen's- should that be good enough? I've been using my souls from Quelaag assisting to pour into intelligence.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

A Spider posted:

Question: Can you be summoned at any level via White Soapstones? I'm only SL1 but I want to farm more souls so I can max out my Pyromancy flame.

No, your level has to be within a certain range of the summoner's level. I believe it's between 1.1 and 0.9 times their SL.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
What one-handed weapon should I be using going into Sen's if my STR is only at 15 or so?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I just got the lightning spear in Sen's and I feel like I'm cheating. If I'm looking to make a weapon Magic so it scales with INT, can I do that at this point in the game, or should I just stick with the spear?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
:sigh: I'm just looking forward to when I can actually understand how everything works and make builds for new characters. It's frustrating just kind of winging it when everybody seems to know what they're doing.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Electric Slug posted:

Oh god, I wish I had the technology to LP this game. I had an idea that sounds good in my head, but if I could, I would do it like this:

Instead of having one guy going through Dark Souls by themselves, have it be a tale about several heroes instead of one! You would play as one "class", even though there's no real such thing as them, which would be like 'oh, I'm going to put everything into beating people up-esque skills' while everyone else would level up along while putting points into other relevant attributes, like getting a boat load of souls for magic/faith spells. You get everyone together on skype or some such, and coordinate a place for everyone to put down their signs, and then you summon on a first come first serve. Then it's a super heroic white phantom bro battle as you beat on belligerent beasts. Eh, I think it'd be neat :3:

I'm pretty sure that's not how this game works but I could be wrong

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
You know, I beat the Golem and was actually pretty happy with myself for trooping through Sen's, and then even more proud of myself when I started breezing through Anor Londo. I felt so cool with my magic-y Halberd!

Then came the archers. :negative:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Is there anybody at the bonfire near O+S who can help me and won't try to attack the loving guards or knights on the way there?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

SL and platform?

52, PS3.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I can't even summon Solaire without getting invaded near the O+S room. This fight is impossible. :(

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I finally managed to find two half-decent phantoms and we totally wrecked O+S. God I love this game.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Oh, add me on this as Fictionn. I'm at I think SL 57 right now.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
What should I be looking for in terms of weapons if I'm running an intelligence build again? I've been using a Great Magic Rapier but that obviously has limited use.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
One other question: should I just eat the boss souls or actually try for the boss weapons/shields?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

If you didn't kill him, run to the pardoner and pay off your sins. You monster.

I actually hit him by doing the same thing in Anor Londo and all he did was yelp, then immediately go back to normal like nothing happened. What a bro.

Shadowborn posted:

Ah, I didn't think of that. That's why you shouldn't play Dark Souls at 3AM, I guess.

If you're still having trouble with that, rolling constantly as soon as you get up there works too. You might get hit once but it shouldn't knock you off. Then, if pushing him off isn't working, you can always run back the way you came. That has a very good chance of having him fall off while chasing you, and then the route is clear.

I read up on the Claymore for INT builds, but I just got an Estoc to +5. Does that work well as Enchanted, too?

Fiction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 22, 2012

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I feel like I've hosed up my character by spending my levels wrong. I'm SL61 and I'm not doing enough damage to get through the Duke's Archives easily. I'm using the Butterly spear and currently I'm wearing the Black Sorceror set because why not. Here are my stats:

VIT 21
END 19
STR 16
DEX 13
INT 38

I guess I'm at the point where I've dumped too much into intelligence but I'm not even at the point where INT scaling is comparable to other weapon routes. Any suggestions for where to go from here?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

You might want a couple points in dex so you can grab yourself a good bow, from there you can probably cheese tougher areas with poison arrows or something like that.

Well, I'd rather not cheese when I can just balance out a character.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I have a bigger issue now, though: apparently I was supposed to wake Frampt up before pacing the Lordvessel and I bet now I won't have access to Kaathe either. How badly will this gently caress me up and is it a game-breaking issue?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Kongming posted:

If you placed the Lordvessel and it wasn't at Kaathe's behest then Kaathe will not appear after you defeat Four Kings. All this does is lock you out of joining the Darkwraith's, and you miss out on Kaathe's dialogue.

You still have access to Frampt and his item eating services but they are largely worthless. I give Kaathe the Lordvessel every playthrough because there is no reason not to.

You haven't broken anything though. It's possible to drive off both serpents and you can still complete the game as normal.

No, there's a bug where I placed it and drove Frampt off altogether. However, if his item eating isn't even that useful I guess I'll just play on.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

So is there any place that's decently reliable for farming Titanite chunks?

Also Awesome, I've wondered that for a while too. At first I thought it was maybe Way of the White players and those are to lead people on the right path? But then on my character that learned miracles, I noticed when I got near one, it put a white circle over my heal, didn't do anything with it at the time though, just barely noticed it before the white circle went away. Plus I've noticed random gusts of white-gold come to me before and give me health maybe? So it's possibly inter-world assistance?

The gusts are another player kindling a bonfire near you. It gives you an extra Estus to burn!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Does anybody actually use the Red Sign Soapstone for dueling?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Okay, at first I thought that making a +5 fire Estoc was a bad idea, but it's actually fun as hell. It's not nearly as effective as some of the more popular weapons, but I don't really care.

e: That said, I'm still regretting going INT for my first playthrough. I feel like my weapon and armor options are really limited. :sigh:

Fiction fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 25, 2012

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Are they ever going to fix the loving Bottomless Box glitch?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
So, what's Seath's deal? Do I have to cut off the biggest tail to get his sword? And how do I avoid getting cursed while doing so?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Is there a documented bug where you might end up invading somebody instead of helping them?

Also, Nito is easy as hell. I kind of see what you guys mean now about these later bosses.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Should I eat Sif's soul if I'm going mainly off intelligence?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Roumba posted:

It's at +10 Fire. I think the Four Kings are weak to fire, but who knows. It's pretty good for PvE, but nearly usless in 1v1 PvP scenarios against anyone with a brain.

BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR 'CHIEVES?!

I could not care less about the cheevos. I'm going to do it.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Ugh. Bed of Chaos is a really loving tiresome boss.

Edit: Also, I took the shortcut, killed the Maggot, but I never saw Solaire? What's up with that issue?

Fiction fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 30, 2012

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Siegmeyer. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Can Hollows de-hollow and become 'sane' again? Will Siegmeyer eventually wake his rear end up in Ash Lake, not know what the gently caress, then fall asleep standing up?

I hope so, but I doubt it. Only the chosen undead can return to human form, I'm pretty sure.

• Locked thread