Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

fivetwo posted:

Aside from the controller issue, isn't the 360 version "heavily compressed?"

Not really. If you take a look at the videos on Gametrailers (if you can stomach 14-15 minutes of footage being chopped into three minute chunks), most of them are on the 360 version of the game, and there doesn't appear to be much of a discernable difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The last release date shipment I got from Amazon (Team Ico Collection) shipped on the 26th and got here on the 27th. It went from Pennsylvania to Georgia in the span of around six hours. I'd imagine it'll ship on the third and be at your door by the middle of the day on the fourth.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure how Amazon expects to get this to me tomorrow when it still hasn't shipped yet.

You'd be surprised. Once they get it out of the depot, they can get it practically anywhere in the country in no time.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, SL 1 runs wouldn't be nearly as doable as they are without the use of spells. Thankfully, Soul Ray is a 1-slot spell. The +magic damage equipment also makes a big difference.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My copy is out for delivery.

I guess I've got a few more hours before I have to make my decision on what class I want to start with. I was thinking Knight or Pyromancer.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hate the depths so much.

Lots of narrow corridors, tons of poison, and there is a not-zero chance you'll end up cursed before the end of it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Krinkle posted:

I don't have access to the fire shrine, my elevator goes to the church's bell tower. I don't know where I can get a red purging stone, none of these directions make sense to me, a frog barfed on me help

side question: why aren't there ANY loving warnings in the goddamn depths. Nobody wanted to be summoned and nobody warned me about poo poo

I'm going to go with "Everyone hates the depths".

Seriously, the atmosphere is fantastic down there, but it's just so hateful towards the player.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Okay, so I made it back to the Undead Parish for the guy who sells purge stones for 3000 souls instead of 6000. Thing is, I'm suddenly able to request absolution, and it would cost me 45000 souls. What does this mean? Have I done something wrong to piss off my covenant or something?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just beat the gaping dragon.

The toxins it vomits up wreak havoc on your equipment, and it spends a lot of the fight stomping on you. 25000 souls and a unique greataxe for beating it, though. You do have to cut off its tail to get the axe, but you should be doing that anyway :colbert:

I also find it kind of funny that even after you cut off its tail, it'll still try and hit you with it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ugh. The CE site is still having problems with downloads. I've tried to download the miniguide five times now and it's stopped short every time.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, who's this dude in the gold armor? Should I let him out, or is he another Yurt?

Kill the poo poo out of him.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gyoru posted:

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24 :argh:
http://amzn.to/qB8tEP

God loving DAMMIT! I ordered the guide from Gamestop because I didn't think Amazon would be getting the guide back in stock so soon, and then this happens.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Zain posted:

I know classes don't really mean much in the game, but what do people feel is the best to start out as? I personally like the Bandit. Having an axe right away is always a nice plus.

I started out as a Knight and am not regretting it. Your starting stats will have you set up to get the heal miracle very early, which is handy in a pinch, and it also starts you out with some high-poise armor, so you won't be knocked on your rear end as much. Granted, you will be very slow early on.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The.GreyWolf posted:

Speaking of these, they don't work on my Black Knight Sword?

Some weapons are unenchantable, and I think the Black Knight Sword is one of those weapons.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Seik posted:

Anor Londo is seriously unfun. The area is beautiful but it takes forever to get anywhere. The area with the archer on that thin ledge is loving horseshit, back up too far and get a truck sized arrow through your back. Plus it's lovely to be forced to play it. What happened to open world? I want to go back to Firelink Shrine, drat it.

If you go back to where you started out in Anor Londo and talk to the gargoyle that brought you there, you'll get taken back to Sen's Fortress.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

lizardking posted:

Jesus gently caress I almost broke my controller in half. Stuck on Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo. Anyone got any tips? I've been using the +5 lightning spear which sucks against Ornstein but wrecks Smough (300 damage). Any easy way to take out Ornstein other than farming some humanity and then summoning solaire for the fight? Can I get Both of them down to low hp and then kill one so when the other gets powered up he only has a little hp left? Speaking of summoning him, where is his summon symbol? I must be blind.

Unfortunately, once you kill one the other one gets all their health back. Try fire for Ornstein. I've seen a video of that particular boss fight, and it seemed like he took decent damage from fire.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't have the guide, but they drop from things like slimes occasionally. One you get to Sen's fortress, you can also buy them for 4000 souls a pop. I imagine that is how most people get their extras.

So where can I pick up my sweet golden armor after invading Lautrec? I don't know where "The chamber of the princess" is.

Now, I'm not quite that far yet, so this will need some verification, but I'm pretty sure the chamber of the princess is after Ornstein and Smough, in the room with Tits McGee.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Got some help on Ornstein and Smough and holy poo poo does it make a huge difference. Well, now I can get Ornstein's Armor from the guy under the bridge near Firelink. I wonder what his soul can be used for, though?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Revitalized posted:

Hey so about the lordvessel... do I lose it if I proceed with the story? I kind of enjoy warping to bonfires

Nope. You can still warp after you put the lordvessel on the altar.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hackan Slash posted:

So what's the best armor people have found yet? I don't want to reinforce anything because I keep finding better stuff.

The best I've found is the black-hemmed stuff in the painting in anon londo. The chest alone has 42 resist and a weight of 3. The only problem is it has no curse resist, but who goes anywhere near that stuff anyway?

There's a ton of good stuff there, Velka's Rapier is shaping up to be a fun time.

I'm using Ornstein's armor. Not only does it look cool, it's pretty good armor and on the lighter side of the heavy armor sets to boot.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Dragon stuff:

I just killed the poison dragon in the painted world easy as gently caress. Is there anyway to shift what I assume is his torso from the end of the bridge. Is there anything even over there?

Hit it with a jumping attack. You need to go that way to reach the boss.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just invaded someone as a Spirit of Vengeance.

"The guilty pay the price. Returning to your world." :black101:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Beat Four Kings solo and have moved on to the Demon Ruins so I can get to Lost Izalith (apparently).

And that's when I saw the twelve or so Capra Demons. :argh:

At least the boss is just a fiery looking retread of the Stray Demon. That shouldn't be too hard.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

hmmmmmm hooooooo I'm just here, weighing my options...so to speak :chord:

fyi arguable the best dagger in the game has A dex scaling 500 bleed and 110 bonus occult damage so if you're a dex character try that out!

Still closed.

Still closed!

Hmmmmmm.

Siegmeyer of Catarina is the best character.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

RedTonic posted:

Spoilery! Siegmeier of Catarina:

1. You first meet him outside of Sen's Fortress. Talk to him until he wakes up.

2. Open Sen's Fortress. Fiddle with the Indiana Jones trap. You have a chance of seeing our bro on a ledge somewhere in the fort, but this is an optional flag.

3. You will find him in a room in Anor Londo. Talk to him, then slay the Knights.

4. He will appear at Firelink. Say Yes when he asks if you rang both bells.

5. When you return to Firelink next, he will be gone. Find him in Blighttown, opposite the last bonfire. Give him 3 purple moss clumps!

6. You can find his daughter, Sieglinde, in the Duke's Archives just before the Crystal Caves. Defeat all the Crystal Golems. She inhabits a golden one. Beat its rear end, but don't hit her when she appears. Say Yes when she asks if you've seen daddy.

7. At Firelink, say Yes to Sieglinde when she asks if you've seen Daddy... She'll be gone next time you come here.

8. This part is hairy and I haven't performed all 3 possibilities. In Lost Izalith, there is a trap where you fall through the floor before meeting Bed of Chaos.

A. You can kill Siegmeier here and claim his ring.
B. You can kill all the octomaw enemies and he will say he is weak and give you his ring.
C. You can kill all but one octomaw enemy in the pit, weaken it, speak with him 3 times, jump down, he should jump down, finish off the last octomaw with his help. He will nap.
C 1. If he is less than 50% health, he may give you the ring.
C 2. If he is at greater than 50% health, he will nap (I know, right?). (This is the one I did.)

9. If he survives step 8, go to Ash Lake. (Haven't gotten this far.)

Hope that helps.

If you rescued Sieglinde at the Duke's Archives (She's the golden crystal golem), and Siegmeier drops below 50% health at Lost Izalith, he'll rest. Once you get back to Firelink and tell Sieglinde you've seen Siegmeier, she'll move to Ash Lake. If he dropped down below 50% and rested, he dies, and you get to see Sieglinde crying over his death. :(

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Psyker posted:

In class selection when making a new character, it states that the Thief does higher critical hits. Is this an innate perk of the class, or is it a fake description tied to a piece of starter equipment?

Daggers do more damage when you backstab or riposte with them, so it's just the equipment.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Beat Centipede Demon and Bed of Chaos last night. The first one was really easy, but gently caress having to jump in the middle of a boss fight, that ended up being the majority of my deaths in the second fight.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Mr. WTF posted:

If you had a +10 Scimitar...would you take it into lightning +4 or 5 or whatever or Queelag it and make it the fury sword and take that up? What is more effective?

I'm a dex/end/vit build.

Make it the furysword. Lightning is pretty nice, but the fury sword scales pretty nicely with dex once you get it up to +5.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Revitalized posted:

What's later that drops more? (I want my dark set!)

The mindflayer/lamia things in the Duke's Archives drop them fairly regularly.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick quesion:

A little ways into Darkroot Garden past the entrance to the path to Darkroot Basin, there's a message on cliff that turns towards the right that reads "imminent jumping". I couldn't figure out if there's something I should be doing there. Is there something I'm missing?

If you jump there, it leads to imminent death, none of the treasure in the Basin requires you to jump to it, it can all be reached by falling.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Elysiume posted:

I had the Drake Sword and I just whacked him in the face repeatedly and he kept rolling in a corner.

As for fighting him in Anor Londo, I threw a fireball at him as he came up the stairs and did a single leap attack to kill him. I'd been advised that blocking him was mostly worthless, so I went all out. His little friends didn't even end up scratched. Well, they may have walked through the lava.

I just sort of smacked him with a longsword.

Not even a lightning longsword, just a sort-of barely upgraded longsword.

It worked out pretty well.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just beat Gwyn. Went with the Dark Lord ending first. I figure I'm going to get to the end again someday, so I'll see both eventually.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'm going to willingly walk into the forest in human form and count the number of times the Forest Hunters use the ring of fog. Apparently even though they get it as a reward for just three kills, not many of them actually have it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

lohli posted:

Far fewer people use it now, from what I've seen, the only time I've had it used against me recently was when I got invaded by a blue phantom in the church, and he killed me in one backstab with a lightning uchigatana.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. In the past half hour or so, I've been invaded by roughly 45 people. Three invasions were successful (Tranquil Walk of Death :argh:) and no one was using the ring.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

oneliquidninja posted:

I saw it used quite a bit tonight. I got stuck in the forest on two separate occasions and ended up doing about 2 or 3 hours of continuous pvp.

I'd say, maybe 30 or 40% of invaders used it. I also had someone invade and just afk someplace so I had to run to Sif and homeward bone on out. Kinda annoying that you can kill 10 invaders and have the fog door still sealed. I think once you're in and the invasions start you're stuck till someone kills you or at least it seemed that way to me tonight.

I guess it's just a matter of who you get, then. Still, lots of PvP is fun, since I hardly got to do any during my first playthrough.

Also, am I right in remembering that the Forest Hunters have no level range for invasions? It seems like I got a few people who were way in over their heads taking on my SL 98 NG+ character.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

DarkArchimedes posted:

This is correct. The same is true for the Darkmoon summons.

I'm also not entirely convinced that there's a level range on Darkwraiths, either. Both my room mate and I have seen some... strangely undergeared and apparently underleveled people considering our respective soul levels.

There is the chance that they were very inefficient with their leveling and gimped themselves that way. Still, it's very odd seeing someone several soul levels lower than you with gear that would be at least semi-decent for starting off slowly clanking their way over to you when they get summoned because of their ring.

Still, at least they had the courtesy to bow before the unfairness was made apparent.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm getting a ways into the game and I need some goon help deciding on a weapon to start upgrading. I'm trying to decide between a fully upgraded Queelag's Furysword or a fully upgraded general sword with fire enchantment. I'm a Pyro with 16 Str and 13 Dex so I'm not going to be getting a lot of weapon damage bonuses from my stats, regardless.

One initial question I had is how important is high Dex for Queelag's Furysword to be good?

I really like the look of some of the Straight Swords(Astora, Silver Knight), and the Longsword looks cool as well. I wonder how one of these fully upgraded and with fire element would compare to the FurySword?

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that a fully upgrade elemental weapon was better than the FurySword. This person disagrees. Though, I'm not sure how much these apply to me since I don't have high dex or str.

I'm not really clear on the whole upgrade thing, really. You upgrade a sword to +5, then to +10, then to +5 again, and then you can also enchant it with elements like fire, lightning, or divine? But you can also upgrade Boss soul swords like the Fury Sword as well?

The thing about the furysword is that if you don't have the dex to boost it, it's not the best choice for you. I was really suggesting that if you had the option, make the furysword because there are other weapons you can just as easily put lightning on. If you're going with a lightning weapon, I would recommend upgrading the spear you can find, making a lightning longsword, or there's always the fan favorite: the lightning Zweihander.

It's also significantly easier to take the furysword to +5 than it is to take a lightning weapon to +5, since you're guaranteed a piece of demon titanite from every titanite demon you kill.

In terms of overall damage, however, lightning is pretty much king. Not a whole lot of things are resistant to lightning, and it adds up on top of the physical damage most of the time. Hell, I'm using a lightning zweihander +4 right now and it is just about the best thing ever. If I manage to get my hands on yet another titanite slab, I'm definitely going to take it up to +5.

What I'm getting at here is that you should weigh your options. Most of the boss ascended weapons are garbage, but if you want one to use fairly often, you could do far worse than the furysword.

Although, if you've got the stats for it, take a buckler to +10 and upgrade it with the Moonlight Butterfly's soul to make a shield that shoots lasers.

E: gently caress, forgot you were going for fire. In any case, if you're not at at least 25 dex, you have many better options than the furysword. I'd recommend putting fire on it if that's your situation.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Nechronic posted:

Quelagg definitely seems evil, her sister? Not so much.

A bit of her story, taken from the wiki:

The unnamed Daughter of Chaos (Nicknamed The White Lady, The Fair Lady and Quelaan by the community) once lived with her mother and sisters in the ancient city of Izalith. After the Flame of Chaos incident, all but her lost sister Quelana were transformed into nefarious demons. Only she and her sister Quelaag escaped the worst of it, having their lower torsos bound to giant spiders. Fleeing their deranged, demonic kin, they climbed to the base of blight town and Quelaag fashioned themselves a home. The precise details of what came next are only suggested at and implied by Eingyi. For whatever reason, the daughters of chaos brought denizens of blight town with them, either as food or as servants. Quelaag was unmoved by their suffering, but The White Lady wept for them. Overwhelmed by empathy, she did the only thing she could to help: she swallowed their blight pus, despite orders against such action from Quelaag. This cured the undead, but left the White Lady in her current state - near death, surrounded by eggs that will never bring life, and now, due to the actions of the player, completely and utterly alone.

:smith:

The worst part of it is the circumstances behind the fight between the player and Quelaag. Really, Quelaag has no reason to stop you from ringing the bell, except, well her sister's just in the other room, more or less helpless and you have all sorts of sharp implements you could harm her with. So really, Quelaag's just fighting you to protect her sister, since as far as they know, they're the last surviving witches from Izalith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Crowbear posted:

You get another regular slab if you do the Onionbro story properly.

Since there are 3 upgrade paths that need a regular slab to max, you'd need to do that at least once to get them all in 2 playthroughs.

Of course, once you finish Siegmeier's storyline, you get to put up with Dark Souls' most difficult challenge: crippling depression.

• Locked thread