Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress you Bell Gargoyle(s) for making me relive terrible nightmares. Right when I was saying "hey, this isn't so bad", I notice the double health bar , and for a brief second my mind read different names on the screen :suicide:

Anyway, any hint on where to go after ringing the bell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress the catacombs, multi level, death pit ridden, skeleton infested, labirintine, worthless piece of poo poo of an area. You don't even get any souls for the effort. I enjoyed even the sewers more than this place. Wish the blacksmith would just up and go somewhere else, the thought of going back there more than strictly needed makes me want to :suicide:

There's a boss down there right? Should I even try? Or maybe try the Depths boss? Which one is easier?

So far I've killed Taurus, Capra, Gargoyles and the Butterfly, rung the bell on top of the curch, cleared the Depths minus the boss, explored all the Catacombs all the way to the bottom reaching a giant light door (boss, i presume?) and generally spnt some time opening shortcuts and upgrading equipment.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Hell Diver posted:

... If the skeletons were giving you problems, anything past the boss area will make you cry.

Eh, the skeletons themselves didn't really give me too much trouble - granted maybe I should have brought a divine mace instead of a divine sword, they're just a worthless annoyance since they give 0 souls when killed and the casters that do drop souls don't respawn.

It's just the whole area that felt really 'meh'.

I'll be sure to heed your warning though.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Blighttown. Oh god Blighttown :v:

I only died once, but I literally went down walking. Nevertheless it felt tense and awesome and dreadful and beautiful and ... this game is awesome, I'm glad I haven't spoiled myself any area.

Also I found the whip :cool:

Now please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere close - I'm just at the bottom, at the beginning of the swamp area.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Ok so what the gently caress.

I was exploring the swamp, found the path to the Great Hollow, and the messages said "Bonfire ahead". Fine, I guess another bonfire can't hurt. So I get there, kindle it, sit down and check my gear, repair, the usual stuff. Then I pick Leave, my character stands up and... dies? What the gently caress happened?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Iron Golem's my bitch :black101:

Killed it on my first try. Very fun fight, all his attacks are easy to dodge/block because they're extremely telegraphed. Also he staggers if you keep hitting him in the legs, so that let me take off a good chunk of his health.

So now, the winged demons from the Tower of Latria dragged me to Anor Londo... I reached the bonfire, and there's a keeper there, is it safe to upgrade my flask? I still haven't used the black eye stone to go fight Lautrec so it should be ok, right?

Also, how do I get back? Or do I just push forward for now?

And also, in Sen's fortress, does the boulder machine giant keep respawning? The fire one thankfully doesn't.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Spiffo posted:

How upgraded is your flask so far?

It'd have been +3, but I was stupid and didn't pay attention to what I was doing and consumed the first Firekeeper Soul when consuming some souls from my inventory :v:

Anor Londo looks awesome, 'tho I was stuck for a while after the Gargoyle, where the road just ends, looking around for a while, then when I see the path I'm thinking "there's no way the game wants me to go this way... oh no, it does..."

Seriously, that path is pretty obtuse :colbert:

:worship: :sun:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

A hint for those who have trouble getting past the two archers in Anor Londo - when you get to the top, shield up and rush the one on the right, he's much closer; if you get close enough, he'll drop the bow and take out a sword. Use a weapon that has a thrusting attack, preferably. In this position, the other archer should not be able to hit you because the pillar should be between you and him.

Still, those archers are a dick move.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

What's a good boss to be summoned for at around level 45 to lower the faith requirement for Warriors of Sunlight?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I have a couple questions about O&S:

1) I heard you can get bosses armors from a merchant - where? And to get Ornstein's one, he's to die last right?

2) Smough by himself is easy even with the thunder hammer, but how do I deal with Super Ornstein's once Smough is down? Ranged? Whenever I get close to hit him he does the AoE butt stomp.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

:wtc: People please, do kill the firebomb throwing giant before summoning and entering the Iron Golem area. That made the fight a lot harder than it should be.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

How the hell does the parry system work. I am getting parried but I can not do it to enemies for the life of me. Just lost a few K souls and two humanity trying to figure it out.

Also, do you get random humanity from just killing a lot. Not as a drop, but just in the top left.

Enemies that can parry have a specific stance when they do it that's different from both their block or normal stance, so watch out for it. If you want to attack when they're like this, do a jumping R2 attack.

To parry, wait until the enemy attack almost hit you, then hit L2 and then R1 right after for a riposte.

It's mostly about remembering the timing of enemy attacks.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Save Russian Jews posted:

"Alright, need to look out for curse frogs down here, okay... what the gently caress is that thing, and that other thing. Welp, they don't look like frog--"

****YOU HAVE BEEN CURSED****

So, as you probably notice, they don't really look like frogs - which in fact they're not. I believe the game calls them basilisks?

Well, beware the curse basilisks :toot:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So my first experience with the Four Kings was rather enlightening:

*spear to the face*
*purple flame thrower*
*explosion*

YOU DIED

This was my shortest boss attempt to date. It enlightened me in that I'll need a different tactic. Hints?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Four Kings - DOWN :toot:

But now I have a question: another primordial serpent is asking me if I want to usher in an Age of Dark... why would I want that? I don't really get the plot to this point.

Gwynevere tells me to succeed to Gwyn, Frampt tells me nothing useful, and this guy now tells me to gently caress everything up? And I have nothing to base my decision off.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Defghanistan posted:

About to enter Anor Londo, any specific things to watch out for?

Archers. You'll know which ones. And as said before, rush the one to the right first.

Oh, and a Gargoyle, but at this point it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Also, the Darkmoon covenant is there, if you want to join.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

It's incredible just how much easier O&S are with more than one people. I soloed them and had an hell of a time, since I wanted O's armor, but now that I'm white phantoming to help people with them, we just murder them in a couple minutes.

A trend I noticed is how the host tends to go after S first, while phantoms kill O. Honestly, sorry if you want the cool armor, but I don't want to deal with Super O over the netcode. :colbert:

Edit: ^^^^^ It does tell you, right after the "Being summoned..." at the bottom, a window pops up and says "Failed to join session".

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 16, 2011

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Carl Seitan posted:

The other day I was in The Depths and there was some guy in a barrel near the Butcher. He asked for help but when I tried to break the barrel he was in, I hit him and he attacked me. So, I ended up killing him. What is he for?

He was the pyromancer, he'd have gone back to Firelink, given you the Pyromancy Flame and taught you Pyromancy. To free him without killing him, you should have rolled against the barrel.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I'm curious, what happens if I kill Gwynevere and Gwyndolin? Should I do it? Do I screw myself out of something?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

gently caress Ornstein and Smough. Finally killed Ornstein only for Smough to turn into Mega-Smough who manages to hit through my shield somehow.

Somehow = lightning damage.

If you think that's bad, try killing Smough first. Enjoy :v:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

What's the deal with Gwyndolin? I rest at the bonfire right before him, but when I die I respawn at the one right at the start of Anor Londo and have to go through the stupid church every time.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I met Ceaseless Discharge and it was... weird? I don't know. I didn't die but the fight went nowhere and ended with me quitting from the menu.

I grabbed the armor and turned to run, made it back to the little stone corridor and here's when it came to a halt: if I stand on one side, he does a fire breath attack that can't be blocked or avoided - it doesn't kill me, but it leaves me no time to attack; if I stand on the other, he slams his arm on the ground once or twice and then just stands there for a while but... his arm completely clips trough the ground and there's no way to hit it. How does this work? :confused:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Where do people usually put down summons for the Four Kings? Is 63 about right to be summoned for that?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Does invading someone break the Warriors of Sunlight covenant?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Weren't divine weapons supposed to keep skeletons dead? Those little shits in Nito's room kept standing up anyway, I had to fight him while ignoring them. Or bait him to attack so that he'd kill them for a few seconds.

Is that boss really that easy or was I just lucky? I went in with few flasks and kind of sucked, but pulled it off first try anyway. :confused:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Oh, right. The punch.

I just slammed him with my Zweihander. He didn't seem to mind though.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Pomale posted:

Okay I'm stuck in Ariamis but I feel like I'm really close to being finished with it. I got the Annex Key and killed the poison dragon on the bridge. When I run past where he was there's this big lump of meat that I can hit but do no damage too, and it doesn't retaliate, but it's blocking my path. The door leading to the lower bridge path says it is "locked by some contraption", but now I've been through the whole level twice and I can't find anything else to do to continue. I also made short work of the phantom that invades there and explored all the hidden paths in the sewer system. Any hints on what to do next?

There's a lever in the sewer that opens the contraption door.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Dawnfire posted:

I at least can say one thing though, I think Dark Souls is the only game I can think of that lets you kick a baby.

Edit: The farming also gave me a crazy amount of souls. I mean like 300k from all the farming I had to do.

Baby undead skeletons that are toxic and murder you by biting your ankles to death.

They're so cute though, especially when they all get stuck walking into each other trying to get on the same path finding node.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Irsh posted:

When you type "on my own", do you mean you are not summoning any phantoms for help on anything? I believe that would honestly be very hard.

I kill bosses by myself. Every single once 'till now and everyone until the end. Because if I can't kill the boss by myself it means I'm not good enough to go ahead :black101:

And when I killed the boss I put down my summon sign and help others trough the fight :black101:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

^^^ He was faster.

Drox posted:

Deathpit. Spoiler it if you have to, I spent an hour and a half looking around this tiny area, I am really seriously stuck.

Yeah it's a dumb path. Basically, right after you get at the bottom of the stair, go left and drop down on the ledge below on the left. From here, you can walk on the first of the narrow walkways and reach the "church", where you can enter from a broken window.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I swear, this game knows when you have a substantial blood stain lying somewhere and plays itself better to try and gently caress you up.

Also, gently caress those four legged beast skeletons in the tomb of giants. Those things are vicious.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

WalletBeef posted:

For those of you rocking the Zweihander:

1. What do you do in narrow areas, switch weapons?
2. One handed or 2 handed?

1. If the ceiling is high, strong attacks are vertical and won't kit the walls. If it's really cramped, I switch to my Claymore for the thrust attack.

2. I pumped strength enough to wield it one handed and it gives you more flexibility. You end up having two equal sets of moves, but one is less stamina draining albeit less damaging. Depends of the enemies you're facing. Also, switching from one to two handing is really quick, so most of the times I block, switch and hit two handed. I usually have enough stamina left for a roll of things go wrong.

To add more, Mask of the Child is really useful (especially during bosses) because it reduces downtimes between your actions.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Why....didn't I know this....:(

I still thank the kind soul who put down a message saying shortcut in front of it, I'd have never noticed.

Honestly, people, just keep the orange stone in your quick items. It's not like you need a great variety of items throughout the game. It's not like in DeS where you had different grasses to keep handy.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I joined the Daughters of Chaos and donated 30 humanities. I got my pyromancy. Now where the hell is my shortcut.

Edit: Also, Eingyi doesn't really seem any more friendly than he was before, even though I have the ring and can speak with Quelaag's sister.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2011

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

It's not that dead end out of the bonfire room down there that looks so suspicious.

Uh. I suppose it's a common misunderstanding.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere in Lost Izalith. Tell me I missed it and just have to look better.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Zain posted:

Wow, so thinking that the crest shield would save me from that star magic was slightly to extremely dumb. The one with the 5 stars that fire at you at once. That drained pretty much all of my health.

Roll under that.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I have 300k souls and don't know what to do with them. Hints? Pyro flame is maxed, armours from merchant bought, miracles bought, spells bought...

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Flagg34 posted:

Forcing us to use the Skull Lantern was an interesting design choice, though.

If you've killed the Hydra in Darkroot basin, go kill the golem in the cave behind it and the npc you meet there will sell a light spell to you (14 int).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

More like hold X, wave the controller around like a maniac hoping that at least SOMETHING happens.

At least that's been my experience, in Demon's too.

They seem to have improved gesture recognition. I can do them with consistency now compared to DeS.

Rascyc posted:

Thankfully, there is a Covenant associated shortcut worth using that bypasses it for all subsequent playthroughs.

Yes! I knew it was worth it!

• Locked thread